UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #1326
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Im normally fairly passive about Smogon bans, but banning confusion is just plain silly. Although I'm just totally procrastinating for VGCs. I know I should breed a Kangaskhan, but ehhhhhh
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #1327
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Smogon is awful.

In other news, grass is green, water is wet, and bears shit in the woods.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #1328
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Smogon is awful.

In other news, grass is green, water is wet, and bears shit in the woods.
As the Britpack would say, fair dos. I'm just shocked that Smogon is actually less welcoming than 4chan. (Then again, the neck of the woods I went to wasn't /a/, /b/, or /jp/, so I can't speak for those boards.) I mean ... how's this for a hilariously cold treatment: you know the post of mine that got deleted? I decided to PM it to the guy who it was meant for since I thought he would want to read it. I thought he'd find it comforting. So I send him the PM. He gets it. He reads it. ... he goes to post in the thread instead of writing me back. "That's okay, " I reason. "I navigate away in the middle of writing lengthy letters all the time. He'll come back to it." Thirty minutes later. One hour later. Four hours later. "Yeaaaaaaaaah ... he's not going to ever write me back and say 'Thanks for the moral support ' or thereabouts, is he? " Mind you, he doesn't have to, and I'm not going to hold it against him personally that he didn't respond to my PM in this one particular instance. (Busy day? Shy guy? Didn't feel it needed answering?) But I just think it's hysterical that even when I try to reach out to a light in the darkness, the candle bearer takes a big breath and blows out the candle. What the hell.

Part II: after ginganinja deleted my post, someone else wrote up a post that was ten times more acerbic and two times more "STALL BEATS THIS GAIZ" than my post was. No one touched it. He followed it up with a second. A third. No one touched them. His posts are like the /b/ to my Betty White, and somehow I'm the one whose post gets deleted (and stays deleted! ) while this guy's posts are a-okay. Not really sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, I'm happy because it means that the message gets out there despite their attempts to silence me. On the other hand, I'm of course unhappy with this gross double standard and even grosser abuse of power by the old boys club. Not only is it not right: it's bad enough that even if I had no other community to fall back on I would not want to attempt to make my nest there.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #1329
Talon87
時の彼方へ

... I couldn't resist. There's been this one toady member in the thread who has been sucking the shit particles out of every staff member's ass cheeks all thread long, upvoting any post that a staff member might make which indicates a pro-ban stance and also upvoting every post that attempts to argue against mine or other moderates' posts. Well, when I noticed a post that Mr. Toad upvoted, I couldn't help but to say something. I figure, what the hell. At this point it doesn't matter if they want to delete my posts or ban me from the thread -- they're already doing that anyway!

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunter
This is obviously wrong. It's like saying that there's no difference between (a theoretical) priority Spore and a non priority one. Clearly priority confusion exacerbates the problem, since no matter how fast you are, you'll be confused by Swagger and will have to deal with its 50/50 coin flips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukain
I highly disagree here. How is it any better for a speedy as hell Tornadus-T to go around spamming Swagger than a Prankster user? It achieves the same effect, for the most part. Is the coinflip uncompetitive or not? Because Prankster + Swagger is just a band-aid -- the coinflip caused by Swagger is the issue at fault here.
On the one hand, we have a site admin saying that it's wrong to argue that speedy Swagger is comparable with priority Swagger. On the other hand, we have a community mentor making that very argument. This isn't a problem: no two people can be expected to agree on everything. But the fact that certain individuals have upvoted both of these posts despite the fact that they are clearly making opposite claims is just ... I don't even know what to say to that. Other than the fact that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontamer
The anti-Swagger posters seem to consistently try to argue both #1 AND #2 at the same time. Which greatly diminishes my respect for that side of the argument.
this is clear as day. I understand that some of you feel very strongly about banning Swagger or SwagPlay, but please: read before you upvote or reply. Judging from some of the behavior in this thread, it's clear that a number of people don't care what the reasoning is that gets Swagger or SwagPlay banned just so long as it is banned. That's not good. The reason matters as much as the end result.

I give the post ten minutes on a good day, twenty seconds on a bad. ;p But meh: got it off my chest and called those upvoters out for the kissing-ass toads they are.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #1330
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah, I can't defend him. Ginja was in the wrong there.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #1331
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This is why you should not rage quit. (Random Battle; 23 turns)

I don't usually rage quit, but there were two points where I felt like quitting in this match. The first and strongest was after his Mismagius managed to KO my Clefable. At that point I felt like all hope was lost. Why? Because he didn't just have 2.5x SpDef -- I also had a team of nothing but special attackers. Greninja, special attacker. Volcarona, special attacker. Ampharos, Manaphy, Tornadus-T: all special attackers. So I felt like I was pretty much screwed and would be wasting both my time and my opponent's to keep playing. But I said, "No! You never know! Have faith!" and played on.

The second time was when Mismagius outsped Greninja (I was not expecting this) and OHKOed it. At that point I felt like even if I would be so lucky as to take Mismagius out before it could take me out, I would be down to only two healthy Pokémon (Volcarona and Manaphy) and one severely-battered Pokémon (Ampharos). Sure enough, Ampharos did survive Mismagius's next attack. And sure enough, I took out Mismagius but was left with only two healthy and one poorly-beaten Pokémon. But I played on.

I ended up winning. In fact, the final turn of the match couldn't have been much more comfortable than it was.

Could my opponent have won if things had gone down differently? Absolutely. I'm not arguing that I didn't get lucky or that he didn't get unlucky or misplay or whatever. All I'm saying is that this video's a pretty solid example of why you don't quit at the end of the early game just because you're behind. You never know what could happen.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #1332
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was just in a match where Whimsicott and Magmortar were both weak to an Own Tempo Lilligant's Hidden Power. I don't understand. How can Whimsicott (Grass/Fairy) and Magmortar (Fire) be weak to the same type? I even looked it up on Bulbapedia just to make sure I wasn't crazy: Whimsicott is only weak to Flying, Poison, Steel, Fire, and Ice. A Magmortar should be neutral to Flying and Poison and resist Steel, Fire, and Ice.

Wish I'd saved it so I could show you the replay but I closed out and it's late at night.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #1333
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Was just in a match where Whimsicott and Magmortar were both weak to an Own Tempo Lilligant's Hidden Power. I don't understand. How can Whimsicott (Grass/Fairy) and Magmortar (Fire) be weak to the same type? I even looked it up on Bulbapedia just to make sure I wasn't crazy: Whimsicott is only weak to Flying, Poison, Steel, Fire, and Ice. A Magmortar should be neutral to Flying and Poison and resist Steel, Fire, and Ice.

Wish I'd saved it so I could show you the replay but I closed out and it's late at night.
Lilligant normally runs one out of the following three: Fire, Rock and Ice.
I've personally used all three, but I have no clue what happened in that match of yours.
Maybe it was a critical that your Whimsicott was weak against? And that it was a Rock-type Hidden Power?

(Welp, just checked. Lilligant shouldn't be hitting very hard against either of the two, even with SE attacks. At least, she'll get fried or blown away before she can leave a considerable dent on either of them.)

Perhaps HP Fire though. Which 2HKOs Whimsy.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #1334
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It said super effective. Four times. Two apiece.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #1335
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You must have been seeing things, because neither of them share a weakness. The only message-triggering thing they share is a resistance to Grass, which would be really sad if Lilligant was running HP Grass.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #1336
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Seeing things that prompted a look up. Seeing things that happened clearly four times.

Or, y'know, it could've been a glitch.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #1337
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quite possibly.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1338
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Its Hidden Power Shadow
Squad Summary

Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #1339
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

In which both of us forget (or at least I did!) about Mega Gyarados's ability xd;

It looked like my opponent had this in the bag early game, but I think I pulled through very nicely \o/

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #1340
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
In which both of us forget (or at least I did!) about Mega Gyarados's ability xd;

It looked like my opponent had this in the bag early game, but I think I pulled through very nicely \o/
Turn 10 I would say you got cheated. While I'm happy as a Meowstic fan to see that she can so well weather a 5x Bullet Seed from Technician Breloom (your Swords Dance canceling out her side's Reflect so we're talking a full 125 base damage x 1.5 STAB x 1.5x Technician boost factored against Psychic types' typically pitiful physical defense), as a Daisy fan I'm like "OH COME ON! " that you didn't manage to OHKO despite the luck of getting to hit her all five times.

Turns 18 and 19 I'd say they misplayed. It was clear you were being stubborn for some reason about leaving Meganium out there even though she couldn't possibly hope to 2HKO Emolga. He should have taken that opportunity to set up on you with Charge Beam. Sure, it wouldn't have done much damage, but it wouldn't have needed to either. You were choice locked into Giga Drain and he knew that that wasn't going to be scary even with an occasional crit here or there. Roost off the damage and keep on pumping with Charge Beam until you switch out Meganium or until the SpAtk modifier is 2.5x. Then just go to town with Air Slash.

Turn 27's ... yeah. ^^; Clearly what you're referring to in the title. That was unfortunate for him. I keep forgetting myself. I don't see Mega Gyarados that often and the association with some megas getting their normal form's Hidden Ability (e.g. Blaziken) is just too strong. I don't know why that's the case for him (Mega Gyarados) since I'm perfectly fine remembering that Mega Pinsir has Aerilate, Mega Heracross has Skill Link, etc. I think it's just because I don't see him that often.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #1341
Red Panda
head head bitch

NO NEED TO PANIC

I entered this battle like "Okay, I'm going to get past 1600." Things were going fine until I decided to keep in Seaking on Mew, and 1 Swords Dance, 2 Swords Dances, 3 Swords Dances later I was really scared. I'm extremely happy that I had Sceptile to outspeed. I figured, "I'll sub, let Red Card activate while I Swords Dance." But Red Card didn't activate. Oops. I still outsped and got the KO, which saved my life. Then Corsola cleaned things up, and here I am past 1600!
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #1342
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How to let your opponent self-destruct. (Random Battle; 12 turns)

I share this one not to brag nor to put down my opponent. I share it to help you recognize when you are being my opponent. Because we each have battles like this one, battles where nothing seems to go right for us and everything seems to go right for the other guy. It can be very easy to lose the motivation to keep playing in such circumstances, especially when (as in this battle here) the other party remains silent and does not offer you emotional support. Try not to get too distracted by a string of unlucky outcomes early on: it's a long battle, potentially, and anything can still happen.

In my case, my team consisted of Moltres, Jumpluff, Avalugg, Bastiodon, Persian, and Golduck. Definitely workable with ... but by no means "awesome." Moltres could've been, but my Moltres was a particularly crappy utility Moltres with U-Turn, Roost, Hurricane and Will-o-Wisp that made it a very poor match for my opponent's team.

My opponent should have recalled Raichu the moment it first hit itself in the face. Once he saw that I was trying to wear it down through attrition rather than a) set up or b) switch out to someone who could safely set up, he should have realized that I was making a judgment call: "Better to let Moltres die than switch it out for someone else and risk Raichu killing it." Meaning I had no good Raichu counters. And indeed I did not. Focus Blast nails Persian, Avalugg, and Bastiodon, Hidden Power: Ice nails Jumpluff, and Thunderbolt/Thunder nails Golduck and Moltres. Shake off the confusion and come back later when you can do so more safely.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #1343
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I hate it when I have a match against somebody and I end up getting all the hax in my favor, saving me from what should have been a loss. I hate it even more when hax sways towards my opponent and they don't even bother to apologize
Squad Summary

Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #1344
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>I hate it even more when hax sways towards my opponent and they don't even bother to apologize

Why should someone apologize for good luck?

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #1345
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
I hate it even more when hax sways towards my opponent and they don't even bother to apologize
No one owes you any apology for good luck.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #1346
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

>Why should people apologize
I mean, one or two crit is fine, but when my opponent scores like 5 crits and I miss attacks that would've been important KOs. Do people feel bad when that happens to their opponent?
Squad Summary

Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #1347
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
They might feel bad, but they also recognize such things do happen in this game. They don't have to apologize for something that was completely out of their control.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #1348
Red Panda
head head bitch

I once had Air Slash miss 3 times in a row, and the opponent never locked up with Paralysis in an OU match. I barely won, but aside from that it's just part of the game. I mean, I play paraflinch with Togekiss, so all of the RNG and luck things don't bother me as much.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #1349
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Politoed maneuvers around Shedinja and Espeon. (Random Battle; 30 turns)

The early battle's not too interesting. I perform a feint early on to lull the opponent into a false sense of security (Turn 8; Shadow Ball was obvious but I send Mamoswine in to eat it anyway, buying me a free switch in, to more importantly lull the opponent into thinking that I mispredicted and had expected another Thunderbolt.) Then I perform a genuine error down the road with Lumineon. (Turn 12; I had expected Ice Beam and figured Lumineon would not be 2HKOed before being able to fire off its HP Grass attack. Didn't work out as planned. ) But things really didn't get interesting until around Turn 14, 15 when he revealed the dual existence of Shedinja and Espeon on his team.

Here was the situation: my team, once it was down to only Poliwrath and Gourgeist, had no way of killing Shedinja without using status-inducing moves. Toxic on Poliwrath, Will-o-Wisp on Gourgeist. But because of his Magic Bounce Espeon, it would have been far too risky to fire off these moves while Shedinja was out. What to do, what to do? That was where Poliwrath's subs factored in: the idea is to set up a sub to hide behind such that even if your status-afflicting move is bounced back towards you, it will fail to induce a status. The only problem was buying a window of opportunity.

The window of opportunity came after Drifblim and Milotic faced off. This is one of those cases where both players getting the same species really helped me out. Because he had had his own Drifblim and because his Drifblim had had Shadow Ball, my opponent kept suspecting that my Drifblim had Shadow Ball too -- even though, had he paid closer attention to the flow of the match, he would have doubtless suspected that I indeed had no such move on my team. In fact, Drifblim's movepool was Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Disable, and Explosion @ Normal Gem. A terrible movepool given my opponent's ownership of a Shedinja and the ease with which he could switch it in at any given second. But really, all that meant was that until such time as he decided to switch in Espeon, I may as well just keep spamming Thunderbolts (a strategic Hypnosis or Disable aside). And so that's exactly what I did. Had my opponent ever switched out to Shedinja, I would have probably been forced to lose the match right there. If he opted not to greedily kill me immediately (which he did indeed do, thank God!), he would have realized I was baiting him to kill me, laughed, and Swords Danced for free. Instead, he feared Shadow Ball too heavily -- and so he a) left Milotic out to die and b) went straight for Shadow Sneak the moment he safely got Shedinja in. And that's what bought me my window of opportunity.

So with the match now 2 to 2 remaining at the top of Turn 26, with Poliwrath and Gourgeist on my side and Shedinja and Espeon on his, it was like a Wild Western faceoff. He switches immediately to Espeon, either hoping I would use Toxic or else hoping to force me out and rack up damage on the forced switches. But I know what I must do: I go for a Substitute. Had he left Shedinja out, the next step would have been Toxic. But since he switched to Espeon immediately, he's made this an easy decision for me ...

Turn 27, I go for Focus Punch. He's almost certain not to switch. He certainly could do so to fuck with me -- and to stall me out of PP if he was good enough at predicting my moves! -- but I expect he'll stay put and stay put he does. Focus Punch it is, then. Espeon's defense isn't the greatest, so let's hope for a possible 2HKO and ... YES! Over 50% damage. No! Leftovers complicates the situation.

But the clouds part and my opponent reveals that he opted not to go for Psychic or Psyshock, or even a powerless Stored Power, but instead a Calm Mind. Meaning he's left my sub intact. And that means the match is pretty much mine.

Do I go for a second Focus Punch? Nooooo ...

I go for Circle Throw. Which he hasn't seen all match and had no way of knowing I had. Sure, it's guaranteed not to KO Espeon ... but it forces the cat out, bringing out Shedinja and removing Espeon's buffs. In other words ... it buys me a free turn to set up another sub. And that seals the deal. Leave Sheuinja out and die to Toxic. Switch to Espeon and die to a Focus Punch now that you're clearly within range to be done in by one more of them.

My opponent sees this as well.

And he forfeits.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #1350
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Question for phoopes (or anyone else who can answer it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Right now I'm hovering right below the Top 50. Current Elo score is 1772, with a W:L:T ratio of 42:9:0 and a GXE of 83. That places me at 53rd place on the current leaderboard. I'd like to make Top 20, but we'll see. It's not an easy feat to accomplish, which was all the more reason I was happy for Daisy to see that she had managed it.
I've let Suisho sit untouched since this post was made. Today, I finally got Juisho back up to the mid-1700s and found I'd forgotten what Suisho's last Elo score was exactly. So I looked up the ranking for Suisho and discovered ... that despite the fact that he hadn't been reset by the server and was still registering 42 wins, 9 loses, and 0 ties, his Elo score was only in the mid-1600s. "Strange," I thought. "Well, I guess I must have just remembered wrong or something. May as well sign in to Suisho, then, and try to pull his score up to above 1700 too! "

So I signed in to Suisho, played two games, and my score is now 44 W 9 L 0 T. My Elo score? 1689.

So tell me: how come my Elo score today is roughly one hundred points lower than what it was in January despite the fact that the server appears to still be registering my past wins and losses and I now have two more wins than I did before and zero new losses? I know that on P-O your games no longer count towards your score once they're older than 30 days, i.e. it's always your latest 30 days' worth of performance that factors into your score, but PS has never seemed to do that. Has that changed with the Elo scoring? Does the Elo score care about how well you've fared over the past n days? And if so, what exactly is that value for n?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON