UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #251
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
#9 IIRC was just starting a new arc, it wasn't typical of an ending at all. #10 is waaaaaaay overdue, I'll be glad to finally take a bite out of it!
Ah, so it just starts a new arc. How long are they going to go? All through High school? Their Freshmen year is almost over now.
Since it starts a new arc though, I guess it won't hurt to wait for #10 to come out to read 9.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #252
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
Ah, so it just starts a new arc. How long are they going to go? All through High school? Their Freshmen year is almost over now.
Since it starts a new arc though, I guess it won't hurt to wait for #10 to come out to read 9.
The ninth novel is the beginning of a new semester. Since 10 and 11 aren't the final installments in the series, we don't know how far the story will go.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #253
deoxys
Fog Badge

So, cool guy over here, about two years behind everyone else with his dubs, finally doing this.

I'm watching it all the way through because I am curious to experience the same agony everyone else went through when it originally happened. Really want to get into the novels and see Disappearance, too.

I feel like I'm relevant to an XKCD comic right now in which a friend of a guy plays games years after they come out to save money and is making "the cake is a lie" jokes in 2013 or something like that when the joke is no longer relevant.

"So far, Endless Eight is brilliantly done in the same way that gouging my eyes out with toothpicks while writing an incredibly tedious plot loosely based off Groundhog Day is." is about the best quote I could make in regards to this.

edit: may I just say.. as awful as this is, especially in comparison to the 30 page chapter this is all based off of... I think it's also very daring and bold in a good way, so... kudos to them for that, but also fuck them. For that.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-22-2011 at 12:54 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #254
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
VGM read the novels? What?

Maybe I'm forgetting things. It's been like two years since I've seen you around these parts, that's a long time to live doppler radar.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #255
deoxys
Fog Badge

Doppler radar... please don't ever stop using that term in relation to yourself.

Basically, yes, I enjoy reading as well, I just never had the motivation for getting into the novels, but the story surrounding Haruhi is interesting enough that I can't wait for the series to develop out over time, so I'd rather go ahead and start reading them to get a leg up on the show's plot and better understand what's happening.

As we speak, I currently have the sixth Endless Eight episode playing. It's quite... maddening. I feel kind of like a masochist or something.

I'm also slowly becoming more of an anime enthusiast than I thought. My current list of animes that I really need to see is something along the lines of: Code Geass, Phantom, Evangelion, and FMA: Brotherhood, along with rewatching Samurai Champloo and Record of Lodoss War. Several other random animes on the "to check out" list as well.

Also, Digimon.

Shut up.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #256
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

From what you said earlier, I got the impression you've already read some of Baka-Tsuki's translations of the novels, rather than have an intent to read them. Which is more accurate, the former or the latter?

Also, I don't think I even finished Endless Eight. The story was good, but the anime episodes annoying. I heard someone at Kyoto Animation was fired because of that direction.

Ironically, my favourite episode in Haruhi II turned out to be the Tanabata episode, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. The season overall just wasn't as memorable as the first one, so much so that I sometimes struggle to remember that there was a Haruhi II at some point.

Oh, this discussion is motivating me to finish the story I let hang yesterday. Must. Pay. Attention!

Ach-tung.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #257
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ah, sorry. Haven't read any yet, but I found the torrents for the translations (since they were taken down officially). I may go to the library and check out the actual thing, though, since they exist now (if they have them, that is). Also, I'm pretty pissed at the ending for E8. I thought MAYBE they were going to do something crazy to make up for it all... nope. Nope nope nope. How utterly awful. They had a chance to redeem themselves slightly, and they screwed it up.

Anyway... has anyone seen disappearance yet? Is it worth it? This also leads me to wonder if they're going to do a season III at some point... but I'm fairly certain most of their fans feel nothing but animosity towards them right now.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #258
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

To be considerate, E8 in the anime "hyped" the ending by prolonging the resolution. The novel was much better in this regard and I thought it was pretty clever of Kyon.

I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen or read Book IV/Disappearence, of course it's the best of the Haruhi material and the movie was really good.

As far as Season III is concerned...Haruhi is a mis-managed franchise, so it's always in doubt. The fans will gnaw on any bones thrown to them but it's all a matter of cutting through the red tape.

Shakugan no Shana is getting its final season this year, and that was a show that first came to prominence in 2005. Maybe next year, then?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #259
deoxys
Fog Badge

Disappearance was so good, too bad anything past Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody wasn't (though the movie making specials were okay, they weren't all that great.)

I have to know, outside of the anime, has the story reached a conclusion yet? I would honestly love to know where the story takes the main plot idea in the end and what it does with it, as I feel Haruhi could benefit story wise if it had an antagonist that wasn't a main plot point, but rather a side plot (although the season finale
Spoiler: show
seemed to hint towards the fact that at least one person in the SOS Brigade is not to be trusted, but they sort of just dropped it), and that really left me wanting more. I feel like maybe all of them, though working together in the SOS Brigade, are actually on opposing sides in the war that takes place off screen,
but then again, I don't know.

Should I take up the novels for the story or would it not be worth the effort?

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 08-27-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #260
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The most recent book takes place during Kyon's second year of high school, so it's safe to say that the third year will be the end of the series. I should say the story now has an "objective" as well. It was kind of touching to see.

Should you read the novels? Yes. It's as good as the anime, but in different ways.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #261
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bump: the film comes out on Blu-Ray and DVD on September 20 -- that's in two days -- and Bandai is offering a pre-order special that looks pretty cushy. Check out the site for details. It says "BLU-RAY + DVD COMBO," which I can only assume means that you get both the Blu-Ray version of the film and the DVD version if you select this package. MSRP is $39.98 but they're offering it to you for just $27.99. Not a bad price if you want to invest in Blu-Ray for the future but you want to watch the movie naow and you still don't own an HDTV or Blu-Ray player. What's confusing to me, though, is that the offer on the other side of the page seems to be for the DVD (which I would think would ordinarily be the cheaper of the two halves) and yet its sale price is $20.99, only seven dollars cheaper than the supposed BD+DVD bundle. So ... is the bundle not a bundle? And if it's not, what do they mean by "BLU-RAY + DVD COMBO"? Weird.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #262
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yuki showed me this MAD for Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuuutsu. Brought back a lot of good memories. So I went back and re-watched some random segments from randomly-selected episodes and landed upon one of my all-time favorites, Episode 07. Absolutely love the "I love you" part.

I wonder if they'll do another season of Churuya and of Haruhi-chan before the next batch of material. That'd be a welcome surprise if they do.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #263
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Hee hee. My favorite episodes are the Valentine's Day one and the final episode. Yuki's dating sim looks awesome, I wish they actually made a game like that. XP

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #264
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I didn't realize until it was half-over that the subtitles were subtitles of the song. I had thought the person who created the MAD ripped the pictures from our subs...I dunno, my brain's not working at 100% right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
Hee hee. My favorite episodes are the Valentine's Day one...
G-g-genius!!

Wow, just when I thought my soul was dead, I got a "hearty" laugh watching that!

The MIDI music I thought was a Haruhi tune, but it sounds eerily familiar to My Song.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-20-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #265
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Quote:
Hee hee. My favorite episodes are the Valentine's Day one...
G-g-genius!!
Oopsie. Copied and pasted the same link twice by accident. XD V-Day episode is fixed.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #266
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I didn't realize until it was half-over that the subtitles were subtitles of the song. I had thought the person who created the MAD ripped the pictures from our subs...I dunno, my brain's not working at 100% right now.
Don't worry about it, man. The lyrics are pretty crazy. I can't blame you for confusing them for the subs if you'd forgotten that they were these kinds of lyrics in the first place or couldn't hear the song lyrics and realize that they're going along with the words.

Quote:
Hee hee. My favorite episodes are the Valentine's Day one and the final episode. Yuki's dating sim looks awesome, I wish they actually made a game like that. XP
Who is the person at 1:25 in that first second video?

The Valentine's Day episode is another of the best ones. XD I had forgotten that it was the episode in which they made Mikuru cry. (Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~! T_T) But aside from that hysterical scene, I really love how this episode feels like it ought to have been an actual part of the books/show. Maybe it is at some point that I have yet to reach, I dunno. But it just feels so real. Everything coming out of Haruhi's mouth about the chocolates, etc, it all just feels like what you'd expect from this sort of episode. Only thing missing was Mikuru and Yuki addressing Kyon a bit more directly, too, instead of just letting Haruhi do all the talking. I also l-o-v-e the part where Itsuki tries to give chocolate to Kyon. "Too bad. I failed to hand it to you. ^^;" If he isn't really into Kyon, he does an amazing job of teasing him.

The parts with the beautiful animation in these episodes -- the parts that look 90% of the way identical to actual Haruhi footage -- make me so sad that the rest of the series couldn't have been animated as well as them. I realize that they're emulating the original artist's comics, but ... what a tease. 'Cause had they looked more authentic 100% of the time instead of only 10% of the time, this could really pass as a strong contender for a missing Season 1.5. I know I kinda consider it + Churuya-san to be that de facto, but de facto NOTHING had they animated it more beautifully: it would have authentically been a Season 1.5. ^^; In the Valentine's episode, I especially love how Mori-san (the maid) looks when she's landed and you see the side profile of her face. And then it's riiiiight back to the bobbleheads.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #267
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Who is the person at 1:25 in that first second video?
It's Tsuruya. I had a hard time recognizing her too. But the color reveal shows her with green hair, so.

Quote:
I really love how this episode feels like it ought to have been an actual part of the books/show. Maybe it is at some point that I have yet to reach, I dunno.
Read the novels, you. XP

Semi-sweet spoiler:

The actual version of events is less silly, obviously. But it's surprisingly hnng-inducing. Cutest moment of the series, IMO.

Also, one of the other Haruhi-chan episodes makes reference to it as well. ^~ You won't understand until you get there though.

Quote:
The parts with the beautiful animation in these episodes -- the parts that look 90% of the way identical to actual Haruhi footage -- make me so sad that the rest of the series couldn't have been animated as well as them.
I'll admit, this screencap of Itsuki made me squee and desperate to know where it was from. Was so surprised when it turned up at the end of such a ridiculous spin-off. XP (And then turned right around and dived back into ridiculousness again. XD)

Overall though, I don't mind the bobbleheads. At least they improved upon the ugly CG cylindrical anatomy in the first few episodes. ^^;
Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #268
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Finally watching season 2 of The Melancholy. That's right, the biggest cheerleader of them all during season 1 is only now getting around to watching it.

...And I've finally made it through Endless Eight. It baffles me as to why this was green-lit, and how it was not vetoed down by any competent person with power. Although I have not personally bore witness to several epochs of anime history, I am ready to call this the worst blunder in anime history, possibly the worst blunder in the history of television. 21st century Simpsons episodes suck, but it's not the writers' fault that they don't have an ounce of the talent of the golden age writers. They gave it their best shot, but came up short. In the case of Endless Eight however ... this was a premeditated and deliberate act of bullshit. I could halfway understand if it was some budget problem, and they trolled viewers by introducing a time loop story, and aired the exact same episode over and over again 8 times (this was originally what I had envisioned Endless Eight to be when I heard about it). BUT NO. THEY ACTUALLY MADE EVERY EPISODE WITH DIFFERENT ANGLES, AND THE CHARACTERS WEARING DIFFERENT CLOTHES. IT COST JUST AS MUCH AS MAKING TOTALLY UNIQUE EPISODES. The worst part of this is I felt obligated to watch every single one, since there were slight variations in everything, and I didn't want to miss something. But no, it ended up being a complete waste of time after all. We never even got to see one of the variations where they didn't go to the bon dance, or worked a call centre instead of handing out balloons, or the reasons why those variations happened. I began to wonder what the number "eight" was in reference to. Episode 8? Or could it be 8 episodes? Meaning it would actually extend to episode 9? dear god. They could have easily done this shit with 3 episodes: 2, 3, and 9.

The payoff wasn't even that good. Kyon needed everyone to help each other get their homework done? Wah? If you're gonna pull some shit that greatly alienates your audience, you better have a damn good payoff to make it all worth it. I actually really liked the ending, where Kyon says, "If I ever get an opportunity to redo this day ... I'll remember to place a bet." and lays down a royal flush. That was definitely cool. The best thing that's happened so far. But still not worth 8 episodes of hardship!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #269
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think the merit of the approach they took is that it really, truly gives you a small taste of the living hell that Haruhi put Yuki through. It's the sort of thing that ...

(movie spoiler, even to say this?)
sets up very nicely for The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi.

Did I resent the fact that they "wasted" eight episodes of our promised Season 2 like that? Sure, everyone did. But do I see it as a total loss? No.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure the director in charge of making that decision was fired.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #270
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure the director in charge of making that decision was fired.
That still doesn't make me happy.

Unless you mean out of a cannon and shot into the sun.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #271
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A few years ago I spent some time starting at the sun, so I'm pretty sure S2 Haruhi's director went there.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #272
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That reminds me of the Ali G interview with Buzz Aldrin.

Ali G: Do you think man will one day walk on ... the sun?

Aldrin: No. The sun is too hot, it would not be a good place to go to.

Ali G: But what if they went in the winter, when the sun is cold.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #273
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Putting aside the disaster of Endless Eight, season 2 was solid, although it lacked the explosiveness that made season 1 legendary: Day of Sagittarius, Yuki vs Asakura, choreographed dancing, the final episode ... nothing like this happened in season 2. It was much more laid back and slice of lifey. The only time my heart got pumpin' is when Mikuru accidentally used the Mikuru Beam, and Yuki sprang into action. That, and Kyon getting so pissed that he was fixing to punch Haruhi in the face. Which set up the #1 highlight of season 2: Haruhi's reaction after Kyon told her that they had to make the movie a success. You can tell that it meant a lot to her, but she quickly covered it up with arrogance. Loved this part! The makers of other anime should study this scene before phoning in some cheap tsundere reaction.

Now I'm gonna track down the movie. Here's hoping it can recapture some of that season 1 magic.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #274
deoxys
Fog Badge

Mc, I came in here and read your summary of Endless Eight.

Basically, I love you.

PS. I think you will find the movie mostly redeems the team for E8.

EDIT: For anyone wondering about Season III info, I found this:

Quote:
I was reluctant to post this as news as 1. the ANN title is misleading and 2. I haven’t found multiple translation sources verifying the validity of the statement, but a lot people reported this in so I thought I’d throw it out there.
The story is based off of one post found on ANN:
– Aya Hirano tweets that she’s working on a “secret project”
– a reporter with J-cast speculates she is alluding to the third season of Haruhi Suzumiya
(the Aya Hirano sex scandal earlier this year has put her future career as an anime seiyuu in jeopardy)
– reporter contacts a Kadokawa representative to confirm if a third season is in the works
Kadokawa representative says a third season is not in the works

The original here article is here. If anyone with a good grasp of Japanese could verify exactly what the question was and that of the Kadoka

Last edited by deoxys; 02-25-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #275
McSweeney
Soul Badge

So I was going through some of the old posts in this thread. Talon, Vran is you right? He sounds just like you!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime