UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

LoZ: Breath of the Wild

BORKED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the upcoming Zelda game for Wii U and NX set to release in 2017. The game will feature a completely open world Hyrule larger than any we have seen before. It is Nintendo's most ambitious project in a very long time.

Here is a partial view of the bottom half of the map

So far the game looks seriously gorgeous and shows Nintendo is modernizing Zelda as an RPG in a lot of ways and will feature far more customization than Zelda has had before. This might be my E3 game of the show; It completely blew away my expectations.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Miror
Marsh Badge

But no, seriously, this looks great and I will spend all of my money and time on this forever.

I think the main question for me will be whether to have it on the Wii U or the NX. I'll probably end up going NX but I guess we'll see.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Aegislash Perfect post icon just in time

DUCKS

After reviewing all the information revealed, I'm stoked in some ways and reserved in others.

Spoiler: show
Open-world exploring looks fun and all, and I kinda like the "survival" feel by making health replenishable through food items and cooking (aside: Link's little fistpump in the trailer after cooking up a meal is adorable), though I will miss getting hearts through cutting grass and breaking pots. I hope containers are still a thing at least.

This does also beg the question whether rupees - or any form of currency - still exist in Hyrule. Assuming there are even any settlements/shops left. I hope there are some NPCs aside the old man and disembodied voice, the game seems really lonely so far. If Link is just following a random woman's voice (presumably Zelda, who sounds British) across the wilderness, that'd be kinda crazy depressing.

One thing I'm not a fan of is constantly having to replace weapons as they break. The stamina gauge I'm okay with, but constantly dealing with loss of arsenal seems like an annoying hassle. Hopefully there'll be more permanent equipment additions as the game goes on - e.g. the Master Sword or even the fancy bow and arrow seen in the initial trailer. If not for that potential upgrade to look forward to, just finding a regular bow and arrow at random in a chest takes away some of the fulfillment in beating a boss to gain access to a new item. Whether or not they did away with dungeons entirely is another matter.

Another thing I'm wondering/would be disappointed if they didn't include is whether Epona exists in this world at all. Sneaking up on wild horses is all well and good, but looking back at even the first trailer I notice the horse Link was riding doesn't have Epona's trademark white mane. Don't tell me we won't get to ride with her - the one Link has always had a special connection with - in such a vast Hyrule. I'll be sad if that's so. =(

On the subject of familiar faces, gonna throw out a theory that the old man in the beginning is possibly the King of Hyrule in disguise. Seeing the Koroks again was a kick as well, seems like the story may tie into WW in some way. Also curious about the growing flower in the logo, and the deteriorated state of the Master Sword.

Another theory I've held since the first trailer is that Link - or the "advanced technology" he carries - possesses some kind of time manipulation ability given the slow motion attacks, which are apparently called "Flurry Rush". While it's probably just a combat gimmick, it would be nice to see time feature as a prominent theme again. I also hope there'll be more musical(-playing) aspects as well, I already kinda miss having a Hyrule Field theme.

That said, the score in the trailer sounds quite nice. Very calming and sedate with a hint of melancholy. There's definitely a sense of heavy weight behind this adventure. (Is it just me, or is Midna's leitmotif in there as well?)

Of course, I am rather amused by some of the sillier gameplay aspects. Having Link run around in the nude? Yes pls. *shot*

Also

BOOM THE END

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 06-14-2016 at 06:38 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm not a huge fan of Zelda but this is giving me heavy WW and DX vibes, which are two Zelda games I did enjoy quite a bit.

I may very well visit this game. I like that they're trying something new this time.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

The physics in this game are incredible. Notice how fires create updrafts, for example.

Here's a neogaf thread with very detailed info on all the new changes to Zelda.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Miror
Marsh Badge

"If for some reason you want to ignore the story in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it looks like you’ll be able to do just that. According to producer Eiji Aonuma, players will have the option of directly heading to the final boss of the open-world game from the beginning. He also stressed that he didn’t view this method as an ideal approach, though speedrunners would probably take advantage of it nonetheless."

Talk about open world lol

Oh also basically all the bullet points of information given so far at E3 (not the greatest grammar or English but hey), as well as some pretty cool gifs of game footage further down, definitely worth a look:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Last edited by Miror; 06-15-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Miror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Pfft, Far Cry 4 did that first *shot*

Can we talk about what a badass title Breath of the Wild is? Because whoever came up with that needs a raise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

This is the game that will make me buy an NX.

Everything I've seen so far has totally and completely blown me away. Normally I'm not a huge fan of open world games. But this has such a charm about it. It looks beautiful. I heard it was going to be big but it exceeded expectations. 2017 where you at?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Apparently they've got people who worked on Xenoblade Chronicles X helping out on BotW. That should provide for a decent enough world map and visuals, at least.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In this 40-minute video, Yoiko's Hamaguchi takes the game out for a test spin. Japanese knowledge would greatly help, but even without audio you'll be able to discern a lot of what is on display here. It is like an Episode 01 of a let's play series, so gamers wanting to go into Breath of the Wild unspoiled should steer clear.

16 minutes in, they've shown the following:

• portions of the intro / the prologue
• collecting items
• felling trees
• combat
• axes, bows and arrows, swords, and more
• an old man
• hunting wild boar
• cooking

Initial impressions from what I've seen:

The game is much less "you go here now " than previous games. It still has objectives, but these seem to be largely unadvertised to the player. It's up to the player to chance upon them. (The TV show is circumventing this by providing Hamaguchi a walkthrough.) It seems like you can do a lot of the little early things in various orders. It seems like you're free to explore per your own desires.

The lack of background music is really striking. Most Zelda games always have some sort of tune playing in the background. But this game so far has mostly just been the sounds of Nature and of combat. No combat music that I've noticed. (If it was there, it was subtle.) No overworld music.

The game might be too sandboxy for some. Without clearly advertised objectives, players can feel like the game is just a dicking around simulator. That might only be the intro portion, though. Perhaps clearer objectives will arise in due time. For now, though, the game heavily feels similar to Minecraft. "Harvest materials. Craft items. Explore the terrain." No plot, no end goal, just toying around like a child with Legos.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Pretty disappointed. The graphics look like a cross between Wind Waker (likely intentional) and Twilight Princess, like if you took WW's cel shading but used TP's designs.

I think the concept of a Minecraft-style Zelda isn't a bad one...but it must be earned, really. You need to go through the puzzles and kill Ganon, and go through some catastrophe that leads to a world like that.

Think Portal or Portal 2. I would use the example of YU-NO as well but nobody here's played it.

Granted, I will probably not play this game except via proxy, so perhaps this "disappointment" is nothing more than "doesn't mean my immediate expectations upon hearing the pitch".

> Skyward Sword at least. The Zelda reincarnation thing really stirs up my nihilism.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Personally I lost all hope for this a while ago. The art style reminds me of Skyward Sword, the mechanics look more annoying than interesting and in all honesty it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game. It's almost like LoZ tried to rip off Skyrim and by the looks of it atm, they failed miserably.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Wow I really want to play this one. This looks like the ultimate game for people who love the exploration element in Zelda games. I always used to run around and try to explore the world rather than go straight to the next dungeon, and this looks like a game intended to deliver that experience to a much greater magnitude.

I also think it would be really cool as a co-op, Four Swords-style.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #14
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
The real question is, will it have the swarming chickens. All I really play LoZ games for tbh.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I was excited from the guy playing. It seems like this game might actually be difficult, which has been unheard of in Zelda games since SNES.

I just hope the game has towns. The LP showed no civilization. There's a possible town on the map, but one town isn't much.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Personally I lost all hope for this a while ago. The art style reminds me of Skyward Sword, the mechanics look more annoying than interesting and in all honesty it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game. It's almost like LoZ tried to rip off Skyrim and by the looks of it atm, they failed miserably.
You're literally the only person I've heard feel this strongly in a negative sense. I actually LOVE that they've made it more open world. As much as "open world" is a buzzword I think it really hearkens back to the original game for NES, very much about exploring.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I think it really hearkens back to the original game for NES, very much about exploring.
That provides an interesting thought.

Think about how in the original Zelda you had to set fire to a very specific bush that was four bushes down from the middle column of the fifth screen to the left of where you started. (Made-up numbers.) If you tried burning any other bushes, nothing would happen. But burn that bush, and you revealed a secret passageway.

Now imagine that same idea here. With how realistic that forest looks -- its cel-shaded, cartoonish art style aside, the forest's trees are spaced and stretched in such a way as to make their forests resemble actual forests in the real world -- imagine now, if you will, that there is one tree in that world map, hidden amongst a million trees ... and only that one tree will reveal beneath it, should you set it afire, a secret passageway ... Imagine the sheer magnitude of the improbability that you would make that discovery on your own ... Imagine trekking out into this virtual forest because some friend of yours told you that if you "go 500 paces east of the bend in the river, then go 200 paces north, the tree you're facing is No.1 and now you need to count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9... from that tree and finally when you reach the 67th tree you will have arrived at your destination. Set fire away."

It's not necessarily for me. But I'll be damned if this shouldn't give goosebumps to anyone who yearns for the original Zelda days. Older gamers who fondly remember them, or younger gamers who have heard the tales.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED
(link)

Sat out Skyward Sword. Sat out A Link Between Worlds. ... This might be the first Zelda game I buy since Twilight Princess. I was really not feelin' it with the gameplay demos in October ... But the story, man ... The story ...

2m40s makes me laugh (because of the combo of weak voice acting and kinda hammy dialogue) ...

And then 2m48s comes and I start to tear up. Second time watching the trailer, same part, start crying. Holy crap, that part really gets me. Hot damn. What a 180 from how I was feeling just eight seconds prior ...!

The next box contains actual spoilers for the plot. All shown in the trailer of course, but still.

Koroks can be seen at 2m12s. This all but confirms that Breath of the Wild is in the Wind Waker timeline.

The person talking around this same point in time, along with the (unrelated?) imagery shown on screen at that same time, makes me think of the King of Red Lions from Wind Waker.

A Goron who greatly resembles Darunia can also be seen in the trailer. So too can a Zora(?) with a head in the shape of the full body of a shark. This would suggest proximity closer to Ocarina of Time, maybe?

A birdman is shown though who looks even more birdlike than the Rito did in Wind Waker. So like ... his presence would suggest proximity further from OoT / closer to WW (whether before or after it).

We'll see. I was also not planning on getting a Switch at launch. Was very happy with my DS Lite (vs. a brick DS). Have a strong feeling the Switch is going to see hardware revisions. But man ... this game, along with some others, might force me into getting one sooner rather than later.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Aegislash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Sat out Skyward Sword. Sat out A Link Between Worlds. ... This might be the first Zelda game I buy since Twilight Princess. I was really not feelin' it with the gameplay demos in October ... But the story, man ... The story ...

And then 2m48s comes and I start to tear up. Second time watching the trailer, same part, start crying. Holy crap, that part really gets me. Hot damn. What a 180 from how I was feeling just eight seconds prior ...!
The part that makes me cry is 1m15s bc

EPONA

...And then I remember it's likely not her. OTL

Quote:
The next box contains actual spoilers for the plot. All shown in the trailer of course, but still.

Koroks can be seen at 2m12s. This all but confirms that Breath of the Wild is in the Wind Waker timeline.
They're also at 1m32s. (Aside: D'aww @ the lil seals and fox. These plus the ducks make my day. <3 Lots of wildlife this time around it seems.)

Quote:
The person talking around this same point in time, along with the (unrelated?) imagery shown on screen at that same time, makes me think of the King of Red Lions from Wind Waker.
I dunno about unrelated imagery... I mean, are we not gonna talk about the fact there's a talking/moving tree behind the Master Sword?

If it's the same Great Deku Tree from OoT/WW (or a descendant rather who retains the same memories, as the baby Deku seemed to indicate) implying he remembers Link from before/a past life, then that really gets me. =/ Although you seem to be on to something with the KoRL... At the very end, when Zelda stands up in the forest, the shot seems to be panning to a large tree before cutting off... If the King of Hyrule somehow became/fused with the Great Deku Tree in this game, that'd be an interesting spin. (I was half expecting there to be an owl, actually.)

Speaking of which, there's another scene earlier at 2m31s of Link and Zelda together in the rain. Zelda is sitting on a rock (with shoulders slumped), besides which there appear to be two stone statues. Her parents' grave markers, perhaps? If you look closely at the one nearest, it does appear to have a beard...

Zelda herself looks nice. I like seeing her in the same blue outfit/pants. (The white dress is good too.) Her design resembles OoT more, but much cuter. XP

Another random observation: The held shot of the flower at 2m16s makes me realize it shares the same color scheme as their clothing. Wonder if that has any significance. (In the logo, one bud appears as it grows and the other blooms. Hm... *reading too deep into things*)

Also: MORE NUDITY *shot* (Well, almost. ^^; It looks like she's still wearing clothes, but damn if that pose at 2m27s isn't suggestive.) Man this game is lewd. ;O

The new/familiar faces look fun too.

Is dat a Great Fairy at 2m57s? She sure put on some weight. *shot*

Also wonder if the old woman narrator is related to Impa in some way...

Glad to see there are some towns/settlements too. I'd heard there would be some, but it's nice to see confirmation.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 01-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Referencing stuff in Talon's second spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that there's still no confirmation on the timeline. The Koroks were in the last trailer and people said that there was some evidence from somewhere to indicate that they're a natural evolution of the Koroks and as such could happen in any line.

Personally though, I think it's in the Missing Hero timeline (WW). There's a convincing theory out there that this game happens just before the Great Flood that caused WW!Hyrule to be underwater, which fits with a good few things. There's no natural hero in the timeline at this point because OoT Link was sent back in time so he could have a childhood, so one has to be found somewhere. Given that the Link in BotW starts in the Shrine of Resurrection, one can assume that they've basically necromancied a Link to go fight Ganon. The timeline also fits with the game as we know it: Apparently you can go and fight the final boss straight away from leaving the starting point, meaning that there's no forced story: No Sages or Maidens to rescue, no items to collect that are absolutely necessary to the story, nothing. Which fits with the main story we have for what happened with the Great Flood, as in that story, all we know is that Ganon rose and there was no hero to fight him, so he was about to win and claim the Triforce, leading to the Great Flood being used to protect it. Perhaps, before drowning the entire land, they attempted to resurrect a hero to fight for them, and when that failed, they drowned the land?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Referencing stuff in Talon's second spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that there's still no confirmation on the timeline. The Koroks were in the last trailer and people said that there was some evidence from somewhere to indicate that they're a natural evolution of the Koroks and as such could happen in any line.

Personally though, I think it's in the Missing Hero timeline (WW). There's a convincing theory out there that this game happens just before the Great Flood that caused WW!Hyrule to be underwater, which fits with a good few things. There's no natural hero in the timeline at this point because OoT Link was sent back in time so he could have a childhood, so one has to be found somewhere. Given that the Link in BotW starts in the Shrine of Resurrection, one can assume that they've basically necromancied a Link to go fight Ganon. The timeline also fits with the game as we know it: Apparently you can go and fight the final boss straight away from leaving the starting point, meaning that there's no forced story: No Sages or Maidens to rescue, no items to collect that are absolutely necessary to the story, nothing. Which fits with the main story we have for what happened with the Great Flood, as in that story, all we know is that Ganon rose and there was no hero to fight him, so he was about to win and claim the Triforce, leading to the Great Flood being used to protect it. Perhaps, before drowning the entire land, they attempted to resurrect a hero to fight for them, and when that failed, they drowned the land?
The thing is ...

I doubt that Nintendo would produce a Zelda game in which you're set up to lose to Ganon no matter what. And that's what would have to happen if this is an immediate prequel to Wind Waker -- either you retcon WW's story a little, or else you have this Link fail. Because Wind Waker is pretty clear on this -- "we cried out for the Hero of Time; none appeared; and the gods, left with little alternative, flooded the land of Hyrule."

I feel like Wind Waker was already the immediate sequel to OoT. I don't really get your point about there being a plot hole or something otherwise unresolved there. I feel like it's really clear what happened:
  • in the Adult Link timeline of OoT, Adult Link fells Ganon
  • Adult Link is then sent back in time, thus disappearing from the Adult Link timeline
  • because of the events of Majora's Mask (and other stuff? like Child Link successfully persuading the king to arrest Ganondorf, which feeds into Twilight Princess), Child Link forks off into a different timeline. Because in order for his future to become Adult Link's, he would've had to have, well, slept in stasis in the church for seven years the same way he did every other time. No sleeping in the church in stasis for seven years = no Ganon taking over Hyrule in the interim and producing the hellscape Hyrule that is Adult Link's playground.
  • so anyway, the Adult Link timeline doesn't cease to be just because Child Link forks off into a new timeline. It still carries on being. It still has its history. Shared with Child Link's up until seven years ago, and then seven years ago becoming really dark as Ganondorf takes over, the land becomes corrupted, etc. And where we are now, Ganon has just been slain, Zelda/Shiek is still around, but there is no Hero of Time here anymore ('cause he just went back in time, and by the laws of time travel physics will never be able to return here again anyway)
  • so you fast forward some hundred years or so
  • and Ganon comes back, as he always does
  • and this time, when the people cry out for the Hero of Time to please come and save them ...
  • ... he doesn't answer
  • because there is no Hero of Time here anymore to answer
  • so Ganon wins on Easy Mode
  • except the goddesses step in and flood Hyrule
  • fast forward a hundred years again (because Zelda games adore this idiotic notion of "100 years = long enough for histories to be forgotten and entire new races to evolve")
  • and hey baby, we're at Wind Waker!
So yeah. Not seeing the problem whatsoever with Wind Waker being OoT's direct sequel. It's how I've always seen it. It's how I'll continue to see it until/unless Nintendo fucks things up and shoves another Zelda game in between OoT and WW, like you're proposing they might do here.

In order for BotW to work as a title that comes between OoT and WW, I feel like it has to be much closer to OoT on the timeline than to the events laid out in WW's Bayeux tapestry. What has to happen is:
  • you have OoT and all that I described for it
  • then, like, "a hundred years later" now because BotW says so, you have BotW, say
  • BotW Link defeats Ganon, because what Zelda game has ever had you lose to Ganon in the end
  • no flooding of Hyrule
  • fast forwards hundreds of years
  • NOW you get the Bayeux tapestry events of Wind Waker's, with Ganon resurfacing and the people crying out for a hero. (Why they specifically single out the Hero of Time in this version of the events, who knows, but it's workable with.)
  • NOW you have the goddesses flooding Hyrule when none answer the call to stop Ganon
  • NOW you fast forward another hundred years and get Wind Waker
Do it that way and I could see it. But do it where BotW is WW's immediate predecessor and yeah ... no ... I don't like that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You mention the timeline in which the Hero of Time falls to Ganon during the events of OoT, i.e. wherever/whenever you get a Game Over in OoT. So now we're not dealing with Wind Waker's history (where OoT Ganon is defeated by a triumphant Hero of Time but then later resurfaces and no Hero of Time is there to stop him). Now we're dealing with a timeline in which Ganon ... well ... won. I don't really know how that would work, but I think it's an interesting idea, certainly. It creates a THIRD PATH down the timeline (oh boy ... ) following the events of OoT, where we have ...
  • Child Link timeline: Ocarina of Time --> (Majora's Mask) --> Twilight Princess
  • Adult Link timeline: Ocarina of Time --> Wind Waker
  • Adult Link Defeated timeline: Ocarina of Time --> Breath of the Wild
Rather than BotW being a prequel or sequel to Wind Waker, it's rather a ... cousin of Wind Waker's. And of Twilight Princess's. All three of them are direct sequels to Ocarina of Time now, but you have three different sequels coming after three different OoT timelines.

So now we argue that the Kokiri evolved into Koroks not because of the pressures of natural selection and a flooded world, but because it was a form they were evolving towards anyway. Then, in deciding to have our cake and eat it too , we argue that no, natural selective pressures still are what's responsible for giving us the Rito and taking out the Zora. But hey, whatever, it's Aonuma's story, he can do whatever he wants, I guess.

And now we argue that the King of Red Lions-esque convo that OoT Princess Zelda's father is having with BotW Link in this trailer ... it's like a cousin of the same sort of convo he had with WW Link in WW, only know instead of having become a boat (to aid a maritime Hero on his maritime quest), he's become something else. (Yuki speculates a tree, or even a fusion with the Great Deku Tree. Who knows.)

With how beautiful the landscape of Breath of the Wild looks, though, it'll be interesting to see how the writers argue against Ganon here. Because like ... it's so easy in OoT, because Ganon's paradise is this nightmarish hellscape that none of us would want. But with BotW, you have Yosemite National Park. It's so gorgeous. Yes, there is a reduction in human settlement, it looks like ... But like, this is something a shitton of people on this planet adore. "Down with urban living! Up with log cabins in the woods and getting in touch with nature!" You have people like this all the time. And like ... if this is the future Ganon's provided, a world where the sun rises like normal, a world with lush green forests, calming plains, and gentle rivers ... Where's the complaint here? ^^;

See, it's all of this STORY that is going to make me go and get this game I otherwise have no interest in playing. :') The gameplay looks so boring and grindy to me ... but man if I'm not intrigued by the story implications here.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Response to Talon:
Maybe it does form a fifth timeline, idk. But the Koroks alone are not decisive evidence.

Also there were already four timelines. There was an official one published in Japan last year for a sale.
Unified Timeline is SS, MC, FS and OoT.
Adult Timeline is WW, PH and ST.
Child Timeline is MM, FSA and TP.
Downfall timeline is LttP, OoS, OoA, LA, LBW, LoZ and LoZ II.

For the first point, there is no plothole there. WW explained it well, but equally would it be beyond the realms of possibility that the goddesses might have tried something that wouldn't destroy Hyrule first? The gap between OoT and WW is never codified: It simply says that there were 'many years' between OoT's end and the flood, and then long enough for people to forget Hyrule, which implies generations, before WW. There is time for it to occur there. There's also time for it to occur almost literally anywhere else, but, to me at least, the time of the flood would fit because I doubt that the goddesses would destroy Hyrule as their first response to the threat of Ganon. They'd call back a hero to slay the beast, from death if need be. Either he failed, or he wasn't supposed to succeed, and was merely supposed to stall Ganon while the goddesses ensured the innocents were up the mountains before the flood. In all honesty though, there's no solid confirmations for anything and that alone is all that we know of.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #23
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Ok, people have done some digging and found a backstory to BotW already. I'll summarize it in the spoiler (from memory so may be a bit off) and link the video when I hit PC.
Basically, all the tribes lived in harmony, with machinery granted to them by the sheikah. Then Calamity Ganon showed up and started doing his evil and corruption thing. The princess and the hero tried 'in vain' to seal him away, and the Sheikah deployed a mechanical army as a last-ditch effort: The Divine Beasts and the Guardians. But Ganon took control of them and it all went to shit basically. He was sealed but Link almost died, and was put in the chamber of resurrection to heal. The king blamed the Sheikah and they were banished. Skip forwards a bit and civilisation's rebuilding, but Ganon's getting back up. Oh, and Zelda leads the Sheikah apparently.

Video:
BORKED
Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wow.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
phoopes
Double Dragon

It's got a 98 on Metacritic based off 56 reviews, tied for 2nd all time (behind only Ocarina of Time). Impressive, to say the least. If I don't get the Switch/this game over spring break, I'm definitely going to over summer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games