UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #826
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
I'm getting the impression that the Pokemon have been designed to attract a much younger crowd, while the new features (like Triple Battles) are pretty much guaranteed to attract the older and competitive crowds. Many of the "derp" looking Pokemon are making a lot of little kids smile and laugh from what I've observed so far.
I think it may just be overload, honestly: we're so used to the current 493 that our default response to 100+ new ones is "these aren't Pokemon" even though we'll probably be totally okay with most of them once we're not relying on fuzzy camera phone shots from 2ch.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #827
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

Surprisingly better than most 4th Gen Pokes.

I can't decide who I love now but I'll wait for clearer pics and shit to make a list.

edit:

damn bugs got good this gen.

Last edited by Ryuusei; 09-17-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Ryuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #828
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Like:

Hate:
See list of pokemon, subtract those I like.

For God's sake. Pokemon just turned from an anime into a cartoon. Ice cream? Poop?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #829
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

So the E4 have also been revealed.

Adeku looks like Bruno but with retarded hair to me, he's even sitting in the same position.

Renbu is another black guy, looks like they are scared of lawsuits from coloured people for not including enough.

Shikimi and Katorena just look weird.

Giima looks smug but then he has a scarf. Who is he, Roberto Mancini?
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #830
Emp
Volcano Badge

Put game details in tags please, Treep. I'm trying not to spoil the main storyline x.x

As for gen analysis, whilst this gen has some rediculous mons, it has a lot more awesome ones than Gen IV

I'm gunna say it goes Gen III > Gen I/II > Gen V > Gen IV.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 09-17-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #831
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

team would probably be:

Jaroda
Leperasudasu (maybe)
Hahakurimo
Doreida
Chirachiino
Mebukijka
Kojondo
Urugamosu

one of these few I guess. Depends.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #832
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, that was fast: the ROMs are out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #833
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

The ROMs came out the day before the game's official release. That's slow.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #834
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thoughts:

The graphics, strictly speaking, are better than ever. But unfortunately, they don't look it. This is because there's a lot of zooming in and zooming out that takes place in the game, and because of that you're constantly seeing chunky, blocky pixelated jaggies. Many characters who have well-defined features upon zooming in look like they have the face of a Quagsire during normal Overhead View mode.

The opening premise is cute. It's hard to believe, though, that these kids are supposed to be "the oldest we've ever seen." The way they behave is very charming but it's the sort of behavior you'd expect from 10 year olds.

Spoiler: show
Previous generations have had us either go to the professor's lab to pick up our Pokémon (Gens 1 and 2) or else have had us select our Pokémon in an emergency situation (Gens 3 and 4). This gen, they decided to try something new: they had the professor send the hero a gift-wrapped present with all three Pokémon inside and a letter attached, saying he/she should invite his/her friends Belle and Cheren over and the three of them should fairly pick out their Pokémon.

That's right: you get your Pokémon on the second floor of your house this gen.

Well, so excited to have received her very first Pokémon, Belle just can't wait: she challenges the hero to a Pokémon battle right there and then! Cheren, ever the smartypants, is like, "Um, Belle ... you do realize Pokémon battles can get pretty rowdy? We probably should do this outside ..." Belle's all, "Cheren, you said it yourself that these little guys are still pretty weak." What harm could they possibly do?

LOL. Famous last words.

Suffice to say, the hero's bedroom is trashed by the time the two of you are done.

Like I said: this isn't the sort of thing I'd expect 15 year-olds to do. This seems like overly-excited 10 year old behavior. Oh well, whatever, it's cute, so I guess it slides.

After the three of you are tasked to fill out the Pokédex for Araragi-hakase, she (Araragi) exits the lab. Belle then turns to the two of you and asks, "Um, I was kinda looking forward to going on my own adventure. Do you think it'd be alright if ...?" And Cheren says, "Of course. Fill out the Pokédex at your convenience. I think that's what Araragi-hakase wants us to do." It's little touches like these that make the beginning of the game cute to me so far. They're subtle nods to the fans of the franchise. After all, it hearkens back to Gen1 where Red was entrusted with this important task only to completely abandon it LOL when bigger things came up.

There are a lot of little annoyances in the RPG aspects to this game, though. For example:
  • the transition when you change floors or when you enter/exit buildings is the worst and most abrupt transition yet. The screen just goes auto-black on you with no fade out / fade in, and you almost feel spat out of buildings when your sprite shows up on the other side. It's disorienting. At least, it has been for me.
  • The main menu (accessed via the X button). It's graphically less impressive than HGSS's. Definitely a downgrade. =\
  • The fact that they included kanji in the Japanese versions of the games is an "about goddamn time! "-caliber improvement. Unfortunately, they're still new at this, it seems: a lot of words are still written in pure kana, and what's worse: some of the kanji are very difficult to make out because of the small font size and the DS's low resolution. For example, if I didn't know from context that I was reading 博士, the left character in 博士 would be impossible to decipher. Anyway, you guys probably don't care about this complaint since it shouldn't affect you.
  • they reveal every last detail about the gym leaders right from the get-go. D: This is my biggest RPG complaint. You open up your bag, you load up your Trainer Card, and whammo: you're presented with pictures, names, city names, and creature themes for all eight of the gym leaders. I guess you could say to me, "Well don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled! ", but I actually miss the silhouettes they've traditionally used. Oh well. ^^;

Speaking of gyms ... Blast, about Gym 8:

Your thoughts are confirmed. I quote,
ソウリュウシティ ジムリーダ
アイリス
竜の心を 知る 娘

Souryuu City Gym Leader
Iris
The Girl Who Knows the Hearts of Dragons

Having not even left my hometown so far, I can already say that I feel like this game is a major disappointment. It feels like the story could have been really good (so far, what little I've seen has been!) but that it's unfortunately saddled with a really rushed, really crappy-looking graphics engine that zooms in and out way too much for its own good. (Stay the fuck put!) But then again, I've been pessimistic about this gen for four straight months, so maybe my thoughts won't matter much to you. Any else playing this? Anyone who was actually thinking Gen5 would be amazing? ^^;

Last edited by Talon87; 09-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #835
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
itt: Talon bitches about meaningless things again.

On a side note, Dream World abilities look fucking mad. Blaziken, in particular. Once, he was overshadowed by Infernape, whose DW ability is Iron Fist, relatively meh. He still has Close Combat and base 108 speed, right?

Blaziken just got SPEED BOOST and learns the improved HI JUMP KICK which is a BASE 130 ATTACK.

After one turn, Blaziken competitively rapes the monkey once more.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #836
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Parastrata gets Rock Wrecker. It's a crap attack, but I am amused nonetheless.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #837
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(1) Do these things only count while you're in the Dream World? Or are they permanent abilities you can take with you?

(2) What are the chances that a pre-existing Pokémon traded over will have one of these new abilities? 0%? 50%? 33%?

This could really change the metagame a hell of a lot. Speed Boost on Ninjask was already very nice. Enough to make an otherwise meh creature very useful. I can't imagine Speed Boost on a Blaziken. It just seems ... broken.

Swampert learns Damp? No Explosions? Wow, someone's popularity's about to go from "modestly high" to "goddamn ridiculously high."

But my favorite is Ninetales. I love Ninetales. I've always wanted a non-Sav'd Ninetales on my team. And now I have even more reason to get one. Drought!?!?!? Hahahahahahaha.

But only hahahahahaha if these transfer outside of this Dream World business.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #838
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>16:06; We can confirm that Rotom's types are no longer always Electric/Ghost. The second type changes to match the type of its special move

oh

my

god

THANK YOU GAMEFREAKS

THANK YOU SO MUCH

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #839
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

So when does that change on PASBL?

Can I have the link PMed to me please?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #840
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>So when does that change on PASBL?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #841
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

I already have an almost Electric/Grass Lawnmower. I just need the actual one.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #842
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Assume that all changes are not going to be in effect for a while. Go by Veekun's current stats.

Once Veekun updates (which I'm sure will be quickly), we'll make a final decision. I'll talk to Muyo and Mozz and junk about timelines later.

Also this was on Serebii.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #843
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

The graphics are amazing this game.

However my Pokes don't gain exp while I play the ROM >_>. blah
Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #844
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Honestly don't know how you can say that. They are amazing when zoomed out, but every time the camera zooms in the graphics get mega-chunky. Also, the 3D objects in the overworld mode (like buildings and stuff) are constantly changing line thickness as you change elevation, and it's noticeably ugly. But hats off, though, to the video cell phone calls! I really like that touch, and it gives them a chance to really show off the characters' faces.

N seems to be a really interesting character, presenting a "Pokemon are friends, not tools" perspective which many in the fandom admire. The natural logical extension of this philosophy, however, is that we should emancipate Pokémon from their slave status, free them from the confines of their PokéBalls, etc. Seeing as N is taking that position, I admit I'm interested to see how on Earth GameFreak intends for our hero to defend the status quo.

My verdict, though, is that this is still worthy of boycotting a purchase. Sadly. Opinion could still change. That's what I'm playing it for in the first place: to see if I might not change my mind. But so far, it's not looking likely. The game is too similar to the last five releases in presentation, the creature designs aren't up to par ... the only thing which might sell this for me would be (a) metagame-shaking gameplay changes and (b) an amazing plot. Either of which seem possible at this juncture ... but probable?

Last edited by Talon87; 09-18-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #845
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Ryuu, just look for the patches. They're around.

I've played about an hour's worth and it's quite fun actually. Much better than I thought.

HOLY SHIT ITS CARMEN SANDIEGO

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #846
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would have thought you were too young to appreciate who Carmen Sandiego was, Jeri! It's good to be wrong sometimes. Ah, this brings back memories ...

Jeri, would you say that you think the game deserves a 40/40? We already know my answer, but I for one would like to know what other people who are playing the game think. Is it a great game? A good game? Or not very good? What do you guys think?

(Also, it'd be helpful if people said whether they can understand what they're playing through or if they're just mashing buttons and looking at the pictures to try and figure the plot out.)
Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #847
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

I have haha. It works for me now.

Yeah much better than I thought too. I have the cat and Wotter. Dumped the fire monkey in the PC cause the broccoli monkey is the best one.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #848
Breeder KJ
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Breeder KJ
I want the Ghost/Fire...very cool
Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #849
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

I have the Wotter Evolution, the Zebravolt and the Cat.

The Pokemon available are rather limited though... You're pretty much limited in options before the 1st Gym compared to most of the previous games.

holycrap.

Once you fight finish the E4 you don't face the Champion straight away. Some plot related stuff and Reshiram/Zekrom stuff I believe.

Last edited by Ryuusei; 09-18-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #850
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thru Gym 2. Those of you playing this blind will want a walkthru for it. I'd help you if I could but I've already forgotten the order. IIRC it's
the book on Minezumi (bottom-most left), then the book on trains or engines, I already forget (topmost left), then a fight, then the book on the bottom-most right on candy (which turns out to be about Poffins), and finally the book in the middle right, followed by a fight. (My book was on Pokabu, my starter. Yours may be different, I dunno.)

This game's gym leader character development reminds me a lot of the DPP anime. How ...
after you beat Aloe, Team Plasma then steals the dragon fossil and Aloe orders you and Gym Leader #3, Arty was it?, to go to the forest and find it. Seems like the sort of subplot I'd expect from the anime. Specifically, it makes me think of the episode where Denji / Volkner, Ōba / Flint, and Ash chase after Denji's electric power plant-rocket which TR has commandeered. Maybe it's just me, but it's certainly not the sort of feeling that would have been possible to get from the original games -- where each gym leader pretty much existed completely on his or her own and within the confines of his or her gym and nothing more.

LOL at Aloe's title!!
Natural Born Mama

And LOL at her slender, nerdy-looking husband. I guess he likes big butts and he cannot lie.

Last edited by Talon87; 09-18-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON