UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #5251
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The good trap cards this format are Solemn Strike, Red Reboot, and Evenly Matched. Designator from the Grave _isn't_ a trap, but its a pretty bonkers Quick-play if you don't want to lose to hand traps.

Or you can just put in like 20 Cash Blossom.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #5252
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I had designator dropped on me when I used Maxx "C", I think its existence means that Effect Veiler has been more or less creeped. I cannot afford to have a Veiler banished from the grave after use.

I'm going with a Catsith build which I considered toward the tail-end of the pre-Link format. Paleozoic Dinomischus is now legal, and it works with Shaddolls, Burning Abyss and Fableds. I've brought back Black Luster Soldier as well. The only concern is I don't have enough defense, so I might actually run Stardust Dragon again.

...and I did just that, but I'm still relying on Soul Charge to make magic happen. Last duel really demanded more Coral Dragon, which is all of a sudden the best Synchro available.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #5253
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

More testing:

1. Fabled Catsith works better against meta than non-meta. Because its effect is mandatory, for slower decks that rely more on sets, I can't explode very quickly.
2. The floating is amazing good, way better than any other incarnation of this deck I've ever had. But in exchange, there's a heavy focus on targeting destruction, versus non-targeting banish which my old deck focused on.
3. Hard cap on offense: it's Omega, Stardust Dragon, Dark Law. No more Quasar, Trishula mega loops.
4. At blaze's suggestion I've dropped Calcab in favour of Shaddoll Hedgehog. A second Level 3 non-tuner is essential for Tatsunoko plays into Coral Dragon, and while Hedgehog isn't searchable, it synergizes better with the other Shadolls than the unsearchable Burning Abyss.
4. Perhaps most importantly I can't explode anymore with HanJanDo. Due to the following scheme:

Junk Synchron summons Hanewata
Doppewarrior summons itself
Summon Needlefiber, sending...Junk and Hanewata?
Needlefiber summons Junk from deck
Summon Accel Synchron? Sending Jet Synchron (-1 level)
Summon Librarian, Summon Jet Synchron (-1 discard)
Summon Formula (+2)

This was, previously, my backup method for summoning when I didn't have a Level 1 tuner...which is exactly what happens when I summon Needlefiber. Needlefiber floating helps, but it's still a hard -2 otherwise.

Also, the Level 3 tuner ghost sisters are annoying, but because I have SO MANY GRAVE effects now, they're not as obnoxious as they would have been pre-Links.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #5254
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm a bit at an impasse for tech and support options.

1. TER is my option for Instant Fusion, but I could use suggestions for others, and really having it take up 2 slots in the Extra and Main is a drag
2. Book of Eclipse was the de-facto best tech option before the hand trap sisters became common place, when anti-targeting, anti-destruction cards were peaking. But because of Links, it's of less value and I could use better support.
3. There's a new Spellbook, Spellbook of Knowledge, that is like Wonder Wand but doesn't target and is searchable. It combos extremely well with any of the Shaddolls, but I can't run any support Spellbooks to make use of it.
4. I want to run Winda but again, without Super Poly there's no way to make use of her.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #5255
Emi

1. The only other option I can think of is Sea Monster of Theseus since its a Level 5 Tuner, which might have some value. Invoked Raijin for a laugh maybe.

2. Book of Eclipse is still OK (it prevents you from losing to SPYRAL Sleeper). Out of what I can think of, your best bet for powerful support cards would be Designator from the Grave, Red Reboot, Evenly Matched, and Trickstar Reincarnation. That's basically it for power Spell / Trap cards.

3. Knowledge isn't worth it in your deck right now I'd say.

4. Maybe, and I know this is going to sound bizarre, but maybe you could run the Invoked engine. You run enough LIGHT monsters to make Mechaba worth it, and Mechaba is a really strong card. It depends on the size of the engine you want to play, but you could probably get away with something small like a couple of Magical Meltdown, 1 Aleister, and 1 Invocation.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #5256
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Trickstar Reincarnation is the non-situational Heavy Slump, isn't it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #5257
Emi

Banish your opponent's hand and then they draw that many cards.

Essentially it functions as a more permanent Durendal.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 AM   #5258
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ghost Girls stopped being Psychic because of E-Teleport, right? I'm disappointed that despite Jack featuring in Arc-V, he got no good cards. If there was a decent 2 Tuner RDA monster, I could run two Yuki Usagi and use both to protect myself.

As-is, I'm pretty satisfied with the main deck in spite of it lacking the power cards I crave (x3 ROTA, Super Poly). I don't even need Heavy Storm or Harpie's anymore. But there is no payoff. There's a lot of Synchro madness without a boss waiting at the end, so even if my plays go off I have trouble winning games. Omega + Dark Law really isn't that scary. Not compared to last year's nightmare fields where the only out were kaijus or Interrupted Kaiju Slumber.

I've got two setups I'm not sure which is best:

Graff + Hand Destruction
Yuki Usagi + E-Teleport

The pro with the second is, deck thinning + hand trap + emergency Synchro. The bad is E-Teleport is useless if the one target is gone. Needs at least a 1x2 ratio that I can't afford without ditching Farfa.

The former is good for searching Farfa consistently (send Graff, summon Farfa, Farfa suicides and banishes). However, the payoff isn't very good still, and Hand Destruction is just to make my Shaddolls live. It doesn't do anything for Catsiths or protection like a Solemn Strike would.

Hedgehog + whatever didn't work. In nearly 20 games, I never took advantage of Squamata - Hedgehog - Squamata/Beast. It's a good idea in theory that might have worked last year, and already works into the synergy, but poor in practice. The ideal mini-Shaddoll engine remains 2/1/1.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #5259
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looks like my boss monster is Tyrant Red Dragon Archfiend.
It's okay, I guess, with the hand trap support. But it's still really limited compared to...Cosmic Blazar Dragon.

You might ask, why run this, and make it a boss? Well I don't have much options for threats, and it's the strongest, easiest high-level Synchro to access.

I can run x2 Yuki Usagi and E-Teleport with it (the best ratio), with a combo like:

Tatsunoko (3) + Librarian (4) + Yuki Usagi/Junk Synchron (3)

Or on the opponent's turn:

Needlefiber into Formula (+2)
Another Formula + token = Tatsunoko
Librarian (5) + Tatsunoko (3) + Formula (2)

Not good combos, very weak and flimsy...but I got nothing else.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #5260
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay, my boss is Cosmic Blazar Dragon now. I faced another guy who came up with the way to summon it, which makes me feel bad since it's been 5 years since I didn't innovate an idea (since taking my deck's original version off YouTube).

I'm now running near max hand traps: x1 Maxx "C", x2 Yuki Usagi, and x2 Effect Veiler. It was 3 veiler, but I opted in favour of a Re-Cover to add another E-Teleport target. I'm also running Dandylion in a throwback; no more Farfa.

But my trap lineup is giving me problems. While Dinomischus and BTS are good, they're both target focused. I included a Scrap-Iron Statue as another way to summon Junk Synchron, but it doesn't feel good enough. I'd like something activated from the hand, but or reusable in the grave,

Red Reboot is good, but I don't need it. The solemns are too slow and penalizing. I don't want to run more monsters to make the kaijus live - to combine with Tatsunoko, I need to run janky high level synchros to maximize the use of those guys. It isn't worth it.

Maybe Lava Golemn? Some burn card? Something lethal that I don't have to rely on. Skill Drain?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #5261
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Three of my cards get hit in the new banlist. :/

Maxx "C", Level Eater, and Dandylion. Oh well.

The good news is, with the new Cosmic Blazar Dragon summoning method, I was more often than not Foolish > Squamata > Beast than I was to dump Dandylion and Level Eater. That combo is way better in most cases.

Still though. End of an era.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #5262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Took out Pot of Desires. I think it hurts more than it helps, although it helps quite a lot sometimes.

He scooped after I the turn ended, but this would have been my field before I attacked. The guy was asking why I paid 5000 LP to summon 5 monsters; Solemn Judgment is why. >:]
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #5263
Emi

So I've been gone for a while so it's time to talk about YGO related stuff.

First of all, I'm actually playing the physical card game right now! I've been going to locals in Danbury (hahaha is it really locals if its an hour drive away) and been doing semi-well. My Infernoid deck isn't optimal (there is still at least another $100 to dump into it to make it so), but it does relatively well. I'm probably going to change it up so I can play Pot of Desires better though and that's NOT an excuse to get 3 copies of Ulti Onuncu.

Also went to a 300 man Regional and went X-4. Better luck next time and all that.

Ash is still a $60 card because card vendors suck. yada yada
Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #5264
Emi

Oh sweet the new Borrel link monster is also fucking broken. Thanks Konami, we really needed an OTK machine that can double attack with a built-in Cubic Wave effect.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #5265
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Easy access "speed spell 4" cards are dumb in general, but I don't see why that's broken? It doesn't seen anymore easy to summon than typical link spam...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #5266
Emi

It's an easy OTK enabler, or at the very minimum, does a lot of damage, especially to monsters unaffected by card effects or that negate effects (Borreload Dragon is really bad versus Crystal Wing, for example).

Also Scapegoat makes it in one card, like how scapegoat makes 20 thousand link monsters tbh.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #5267
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

Fun video that explains why Level monsters didn't pan out and offers a possible fix for them should Konami ever revisit the concept in the future.

Got here from this other video by the same creator, this one about why the Egyptian God Cards sucked ass in the Konami TCG.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #5268
Emi

I genuinely like a lot of Dzeeff's videos and would recommend him to other UPNers on here. Both of these videos are good watches too.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #5269
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The early editing is pretty bad. He did a bunch of takes and (very noticeably) spliced things together. It would have been better to simple read a script off the stitched takes or at least interject some pauses so it doesn't sound so staccato.

I don't disagree with anything he says except that "[they're] salvageable".

No way, not in Link format.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #5270
Emi

I mean they did salvage Unions by making A, B, and C have good GY effects and well, ABC Dragon Buster, given Spirits some really broken support in Shinobirds and Amano Iwato etc. They could probably make good LV monsters if they wanted to, but you would need effects like Horus the Black Flame LV 8 or something.

Also, it feels weird to be deliberately running Spirit of the Flame in a deck, but I'm trying out a Curious turbo version of 60-card Infernoids, similar to how 60-card Zombieplantlightswornds are running Gigantes. So far it's not been super consistent, but I actually really like Jet Synchron's place in the deck.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #5271
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

ABC Buster Dragon isn't a Union though, it's a fusion reward for being able to spam the unions. The unions by themselves cannot pressure the opponent, and really that monster class has been remade with other "equip monster as spell" types...like Inzektors.

I don't think one small archetype/series redeems an entire mechanic either. Consider Necroz, which "saved" Rituals in an absurd way - making each individual card overpowered so they interacted in a synergistic, broken manner to compensate for Rituals' negative flaws. For no reason, at that.

At least with Synchro Summons, there was a lore reason behind Synchros required Tuners and were "fast", for Necroz/XYZ/Links/Pendulums...they just are. No evolution or explanation.

To fix something like LV, you have to scale down the game's power level so cards like Allure Queen become viable. And the Link format is one that's finally started to get me interested in some kind of set rotation...because it would be an opportunity to keep the successful, balanced mechanics and wipe out the problem ones like Link and XYZ.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #5272
Emi

how u gonna make allure queen viable when it wasn't viable on release lol

even LoBEWD format would have been bad for it because oh the shitty ATK values
Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #5273
Emi

FLOD-EN088 F.A Dawn Dragster
Level 7 LIGHT Machine Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 2000
Materials: 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
Gains ATK equal to its Level x 300. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage. Each time a “F.A.” Spell/Trap Card or effect is activated: You can increase this card’s Level by 1. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or effect (Quick Effect): you can reduce this card’s Level by 2, and if you you do, negate the activation, and if you do that, destroy that card.

eyes emoji
Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #5274
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think I've seen this one before, or perhaps a similar FA monster that also gained attack = level. Unfortunately, it stats are too weak to give it much staying power. Same problem with the Level 4 Herald card.
The new virus card is promising, though. It combos very well with a simple Shaddoll offensive.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #5275
Emi

All the FA monster have that effect. This is a brand new card.

Grinning Grave is...good for its lingering effect but its initial effect is kind of bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment