UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Dan Vs.

Anyone else watch this? I've only recently started, and it's hilarious. It's on the HUB, and while Hasbro airs it alongside their other kids shows on Saturday mornings... this show feels like it belongs more on Adult Swim, or in that inbetween prime time hour Regular Show and Adventure Time is shown.

Dan is the most unlikable protagonist ever and it's evident in just the first few minutes of watching an episode. He's a jackass, to the point where it's sometimes so annoying you don't want to watch anymore, and his friend Chris is a doormat who he treats like shit and he takes it.

Anyway funny show, anyone else watch it?

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Chris being a dorrmat is sometimes justifiable, as he obviously leave most of the decisions to his wife in their relationship as well, meaning that he's likely been meek for a long time, choosing friends and a mate who both are the relationship's dominating force. And with a protagonist that wages a personal war on New Mexico (because of an armadillo and some sand) and Chris's wife having a skillset best described as "fucking ninja," there's really got to be a "straight man" in the group, which he is far from the ideal.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I'm 8 episodes in and I'm not sure how to feel.

Each episode's premise is that Dan is basically a paranoid schizo who feels the need to solve his problems by bullying everyone including his friends for incredibly terrible reasons and doesn't mind injuring or even killing innocent people in the way of his "plans". He has no moral code and acts like a petulant child, is incredibly self-indulgent, and cares about no one but himself.

Below is a spoiler for one episode that explains just how terrible the show can be.

The premise of one episode is that Dan can't sleep at night because of an animal shelter across the street keeping him awake. Dan tells the keeper of the shelter in an incredibly serious manner that he should beat the animals to make them keep quiet. Then, Dan eventually feels the need to resort to drastic measures to deal with this problem by poisoning the animals, killing them all. However, his friend Chris accidentally ingests the poison himself and is sent to the hospital, where Dan kidnaps him from as he is in critical condition and totes him to the "explosives" store, in which he uses Chris' comatose body as a puppet and buys $5000 worth of dynamite on his credit card. As Chris' condition worsens, he eventually gets found and taken back to the hospital. Dan then goes to the shelter and lines it with explosives. At the last second, he releases all of the animals from the shelter and steals a cat for himself, and the episode ends with the shelter exploding and a shooting range being rebuilt in it's place.

The show has it's moments, but with kids being impressionable as they are, I don't feel this is something they should be watching, simply because they'd turn into little brats.

I'm at a point where I may stop watching because Dan's behavior, while the point of the show, puts me off something fierce.

I'm pretty shocked Hasbro would air this on their Saturday morning lineup.

Last edited by deoxys; 05-17-2012 at 09:09 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
>I'm pretty shocked Hasbro would air this on their Saturday morning lineup.

If I remember correctly, when it first premiered they had it in an 8/9-ish pm slot. Then they started putting movies on and had to rearrange the schedule. Granted they could've moved it later in the afternoon but these are the same people who gave in to overreactions of two minutes of MLP, showing they don't always make great decisions.

I watched the premiere and most of the first season. Like Deo I found it hilarious but slightly out of place on The Hub. Dan himself gets a bit annoying pretty quickly, mostly for reasons Deo has already stated. I still watch it from time to time but not as regularly as I once did.

Most outstanding part to me is the voice cast. Curtis Armstrong (Revenge of the Nerds, Numerous guest spots on who knows how many shows), Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall, Numerous guest spots on who knows how many shows) and Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds). I enjoy them all individually and together they make a pretty good group.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment