UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Jirachi Imagine Greater

The SyFy Channel (which I will from hence forward call SciFi, because the name change was a stupid idea in the first place), perhaps best known at the moment for making outrageous B-Movies such as Sharktopus, Dinoshark, and Ginormo Cyber Yeti (although that last one might not exist. Yet.), has also gained a smaller, if much more impressive, notability for its Original Series, particularly those in what we would call the "SciFi-Verse". This universe consists of three shows (currently): Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas.

Eureka (known in the UK as A Town Called Eureka) was the first show to start in this universe, and is the most traditionally science fiction one of the lot. Taking place in the town of Eureka, Oregon, everyone in this town is pretty damn smart, and the town itself is like a meeting of the minds, and the headquarters of a company called Global Dynamics, which researches technology outside the realm of mainstream modern tech, having, among other things, an android deputy, a house with a lot of very real personality, and lots and lots of things that can and do go wrong. The main character, Sheriff Carter (who moves to Eureka at the beginning), is quite smart; however, he is not anywhere near as intelligent in scientific matters as the rest of the town, as basically everyone there is of genius-level intellect. The series ended its fifth and final season in July 2012. Its TVTropes page is here (beware spoilers).

Warehouse 13 took a different turn entirely from Eureka, and instead focused on thee more supernatural aspects, as well as integrating a lot of historical aspects. Throughout history, there have been many influential people. Sometimes, items that are either theirs, or have some association with them, are endowed with special abilities; some because the person was so influential, and some are what made them influential in the first place. These Artifacts can be dangerous, even in the best of hands, so it is the job of those in the employ of Warehouse 13 to collect these items and lock them away, whilst using some of the lass dangerous ones in their work. Whilst Eureka had Carter as the main character, Warehouse 13 has always been more of an ensemble, with, at the very least, the main duo, Pete and Myka, as central roles. As the seasons moved on, a couple more characters got their share of screentime and development and, although they are secondary characters, they aren't by too much.

These artifacts range from the seemingly mundane (a top allows the user to grow or enlarge body parts, such as regrowing their appendix), while others are a bit more frightening (a sword so sharp it can cut through light itself and render the user invisible). However, many have a bloody history, or, at the very least, can be used for some very horrible deeds. Case in point: the aforementioned top? P. T. Barnum's. Three guesses how he used it. Warehouse 13 is in the middle of its fourth season, and is in the mid-season break. New episodes are scheduled to start back up again in Spring 2013. Its TVTropes page is here (again, beware spoilers).

If Eureka is technology and Warehouse 13 is magic, then Alphas is superheroes. Alphas are human with superhuman abilities, from super strength, to being able to pull off a cause-and-effect gambit better than Dumbledore, to mind control. They fight some bad Alphas, and just in general try to keep them a secret from mainstream society, as it just wouldn't do to let people know. TVTropes page is here.

Haven, while not part of the Sci-Fi 'Verse, is still an original series on the network, and is also quite good. Discussion here can of course be about any of the shows, as well as any of the Sci-Fi reality shows such as Face Off.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I liked Eureka in the earlier seasons, but the later ones, especially after the beginning of I believe season 4, not so much. Don't like when anything does anything like that. Everything felt forced after that.

Haven't watched Alphas because it looks so similar to Heroes, which was too similar to X-Men. Didn't feel original enough to me to warrant getting into.

Didn't watch Warehouse 13 either. Can't say why.

They they recently announce it was like the last season of Eureka? Not sure of the status of the others though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm in the same position as Loki here. I absolutely loved early Eureka. But after a while it got really weird and convoluted and basically it was like it was so stuck up its own butt. It was just kind of silly and not super serious in the start.

I never saw Warehouse 13 either. D: Either way I'm glad SciFi has/had a good original show, even if it's not my cup of tea.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment