UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #401
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Played: Medieval 2 Total War

I've been playing this pretty excessively for the past week, one vanilla campaign as Scotland and one Darthmod with Sicily. Might go play RomeTW next, or try one of the Islamic factions in M2TW.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #402
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
I just got a Vita. Recommendations? Other than Persona pls
A bit shocked no one has said Dangan Ronpa yet. So... Dangan Ronpa.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #403
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Already played the steam versions. Loved em.
Quote:
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #404
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Ib

So I've seen various little fanarts about this game on tumblr for a while now, although I never really took much notice of it (I actually figured that it was another anime and I've been in a dry streak on that for quite a while). It wasn't until yesterday that I learned that it was a game, so I did a little research on it and watched a couple parts of an LP just so I knew what I was getting into. It's a habit for me on horror games because of my anxiety. It's an RPGMaker game, so I'm writing this up with that in perspective.

(As an aside to that, PewDiePie is literally one of the most infuriating people I've ever watched. God I can just...not stand him at all).

Spoiler: show
The game starts with Ib, a young girl visiting an art gallery with her parents. She walks off on her own, when the power goes out and she finds herself trapped in the art gallery. Things begin to get eerie as some of the paintings seem to come to life, and then she finds an opening to another world. Ib soon meets up with the kind and gentle Garry and the playful Mary, and they work together in order to find a way back into their world and away from the sinister artwork that follows them.

I quite enjoyed this game, but its difficult to compare it to more modern games because of its platform. That said, I think the game is quite good. The graphics and music are strong enough that it creates an atmosphere, and the game doesn't rely purely on jumpscares in order to make an impression. The story is short but fulfilling, even if a bit simple. Ultimately, this is the kind of game that I enjoyed but I feel I would have enjoyed a lot more if it was taken to a different platform. It's a great beginning of something more, in my opinion.

I would recommend this if you have some spare hours under your belt. Some of the puzzles are difficult but it shouldn't be impossible for people to get through. It's a fun, spooky, and cute little horror game~.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #405
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
A bit shocked no one has said Dangan Ronpa yet. So... Dangan Ronpa.
Im streaming it now myself. its quite fun yes yes.

but if anyone needs a great recommendation for whichever playstation you got. They have Dark Cloud digitally now. excellent rpg.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #406
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Beat: Hitman (Season 1)

This game is Blood Money good. It definitely calls back to that game rather than Absolution; each mission is a classic "plonk you in a big map with a target(s) and let you run loose" rather than the bad stealth corridor shooter of Absolution, and every one of them is great. Season 1 is full game sized. Apparently they're planning on making another season or two equal in size which whether at season pass price or full game price or somewhere in between I will be buying.

Look, it's Blood Money making full use of what modern gaming machines can do. What more do you want from a game?

Beat: Firewatch

It's a walking simulator and it's fairly short. Super pretty and very well written though, if the ending is a tad weak. Well worth investing an afternoon in.

Last edited by Concept; 11-06-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #407
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Get: Splatoon! Yeah, late to the party on this one but goddamn I've been having SO MUCH FUN with this today! Multiplayer is fast and frantic, and I got on a great hot streak somehow, holding my own with my Tentatek Splattershot as the lowest level player in the room. Solo campaign has clever level design too!
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 12-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #408
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

(Re)Playing: Skyrim Special Edition HD Turbo Remix

Because I bought all the DLC for the original like an idiot but never meaningfully played through any of it, I thought I might as well start on a new character and take advantage of Bethesda's pseudo-generosity at not making me pay for it twice. I learned my lesson from playing a mage character last time (the "favorites" system makes switching between the dozens of spells at your disposal about as fun as colonoscopy prep), so I'm rolling as a warrior this playthrough which not only makes Shouts a more important part of the gameplay but also lets you find out just how much crafting lets you break any semblance of game balance in half (why yes, I would like to one shot a dragon with a bow sneak attack from 100 yards away).

Also, Dawnguard as an expansion is kind of mediocre. The new Vampire Lord form suffers from the same problem that the Werewolf form does, even with perks: past a certain point, your skills/gear become so good that transforming becomes a net downgrade in power, which kind of defeats the purpose of a power-trip uber transformation in the first place. It's a "new toy" expansion where the toys themselves aren't great (except for the summonable ghost horse which saves you trying to track down wherever the fuck your flesh and blood one ran off to when you randomly get attacked by bandits on the road) and the main questline suffers from having a significant portion take place in new zones that are large but not particularly populated or interesting.

Last edited by Blastoise; 12-10-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #409
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
>Shouts as an important part of Skyrim

Really? The only one I ever found remotely useful for anything practical was Aura Whisper, and even then that's not essential.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #410
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
>Shouts as an important part of Skyrim

Really? The only one I ever found remotely useful for anything practical was Aura Whisper, and even then that's not essential.
Depends on what you're playing: they were mostly redundant on a mage, but as a warrior/melee attacker shouts that help you get in like Ethereal Form and Unrelenting Force become a lot more valuable. I've also been cranking up the difficulty as my gear gets better, so I'm facing things that don't just explode when I look at them with my uber crafted gear.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #411
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I mean I was doing more of an archer setup than warrior, but by and large I found most shouts to be a bit mediocre.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #412
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
7th Dragon III: Code VFD
Liked the demo an was glad ta be given the full game!

Kirby: Planet Robobot
The other 3DS Kirby was good so I bet this one'll be good to!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #413
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Beat: Enderal - English Localization (Total conversion for Skyrim; sequel to Nehrim)

Wow. That was awesome. It's almost hard to believe it was made by a bunch of normal people who were just working on it in their spare time. It's honestly better than most new games, and definitely better than Skyrim. The world is prettier and denser. Every place in it was hand-crafted and not generated with auto-erosion and landscaping algorithms. This is especially evident in the dungeons, which are very large, extremely non-linear, and not made from prefabs like the dungeons in Skyrim. The story is far more adult, nuanced and riveting. It's hard to say much without giving a lot away, but it definitely turns the whole "hero" thing on its head. The gameplay is fun as hell and very rewarding. It's rather more difficult than Skyrim. The world is unleveled, you can't fast travel, you can't wait, and you need to grind for EXP to really level up. The voice acting is for the most part incredible. There are a few duds here and there, but on the whole it is equal to any AAA game I've ever played. I don't know what else I can say, other than I am sad it's over. I can't wait for the DLC to be released.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-28-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #414
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Got Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. Pretty great, but aiming in third person is a right bitch after so much first-person aiming in Skyrim, Fallout and Overwatch...
Old 01-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #415
deoxys
Fog Badge

Steam sale grabs:

Necropolis, Dark Souls II, Tricky Towers, Watch_Dogs 2, Mega Man Collection, Inside, Abzu, a few others...

There's probably at least one game I just listed I won't complete this year, sigh. I had a resolution a few years ago to play all my games, that never happened.

That said, I've upgraded my gaming setup, so hopefully I can use that as an excuse to play more this year --

https://i.imgur.com/F8wMJ2s.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/edJQlzl.jpg
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #416
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. Well, 100%ed the main story and the Blood Ties addon. Hell of a good game, it'll have your brain working. Would 100% recommend, especially as it now seems to come as the 20 year anniversary edition (with all DLCs) as default for the same price.

Now just Endurance, Cold Darkness and Lara's Nightmare to deal with...
Old 01-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #417
deoxys
Fog Badge

Guys.

Play ABZU.

It takes about an hour and a half to beat and it's possibly the most beautiful game I've ever seen, made by the art director from Journey. It's truly an experience that shouldn't be missed.

While ABZU doesn't leave nearly the level of emotional impact Journey did (which I also played in one sitting and was in tears for the last ten minutes of), it leaves its own kind of impact in different ways.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #418
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I just want to say that 2016 had the two best FPSes I've ever played - SUPERHOT and Doom.

SUPERHOT has an amazing idea with absolutely perfect execution. The gameplay makes you feel like a god (...if you're good enough) and the story is very original. The challenges make for excellent replay value, too, but without them the game is fairly short, only a couple of hours, but honestly most of the fun is in the challenges and endless modes. And if you have an Oculus or HTC Gear...holy fuck, the VR game is amazing. I played a bit at Nerdmeet and it was amazing.

Doom is possibly the perfect FPS in many ways. Story? Only what is necessary- but the lore is amazing if you get into it, and yet you can choose to ignore it and just keep killing demons. The movement is crisp and fast- your normal speed is the sprint speed of most games. The enemies are well designed and will have you searching for strategies to kill them...or to shoot them in the face with the super shotgun. Killing enemies feels extremely satisfying.

If you're into FPSes, you cannot miss out on these games.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #419
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Horizon: Zero Dawn (10 hours?)

Still generic as fuck video game name, surprisingly good so far. It's an Ubisoft-like open world game, but it's an Ubisoft-like open world game that not only encourages you to make use of all the tools in your toolbox as you Monhun robot dinosaurs, but the towers you climb to reveal the map are fucking cyber giraffes which is nifty as fuck.

That said, it's got a couple of niggles:

-Yet another open world game that tries to shove AC-style parkour into a world not built around it. You're heavily limited as to what you can actually climb, so navigation mostly comes down to "find the next yellow-painted handhold/rope/ladder" which can still be oddly difficult amongst the heavy environmental detail. Once you are climbing things mostly go on autopilot, so I can't help but wonder why they bothered.

-Did you purchase this game to have sickass unscripted encounters with fucking packs of cyber cats with fucking guns on their backs? Fuck you: here are some story missions and side quests where you fight generic human bandits, except taking multiple arrows to the head to kill somehow manages to make them more obnoxious when you're using bows that fire once every couple seconds versus a modern SMG*. Going from monster fights that reward planning, setup and proper use of your kit to AC-style clown fiestas where you can roll your face on the controller to win (and some of the tools meant to take on giant fire-breathing beetles are unsurprisingly overpowered when turned on human squishies) is disappointing, especially since they also include a decent chunk of the early-game main quests I've played so far.

(*Although you can get a primitive crossbow machine gun, so that's something).
Old 03-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #420
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
Used my trade-in credit to get this! 2 games for the price of free, kinda. Heard good things about these so I figured I'd give 'em a try.

Chrono Trigger
Had this randomly pawned off to me! I dun like the game but accepted cause I was kinda curious about what the DS version may have added or changed.

Atelier Sophie: The Alcemist of the Mysterious Book
Yay! My first PS4 game! Which I'll get to play... when I have a PS4! Found it used on the cheap cheap cheap so why not pick it up early?

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Skipped both this and vanilla MvC3 back in the PS3 days cause of them having on disc pre-order locked character dlc. Well guess what? Wait half a decade an get the ultimate version plus all the dlc period for a low-low price! Yay for patience!

Beat!
Kirby: Planet Robobot
- 7:48:00
Oooh this was real good. Like even abit better than Triple Deluxe good an I really like that one! The mech wasn't gimmicky at all, its a legit powerup which has its own copy abilities even! The foreground/background switching and affecting one other returned an was just as fun as before! Getting the progression locking collectibles felt easier to do and find this time around which I'm totally cool with. Good game!

Chrono Trigger
- 1:48:55
Yes I loaded up a NG+ save file that was already on the cart an cheesed the game! Zoomed right to the final boss as soon as I had a full party. Beat the boss which felt easier than I remembered an was greeted with fmv cutscenes in which I found out Crono is supposed ta look like Goku? Yikes, this was not how I pictured the characters looking at all based on their in-game sprites or official artwork. Speaking of sprites everything looked so tiny an less easy to make out compared to how I remembered playing it on the SNES forever ago. Just another strike against rpgs on handhelds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
Playing: Horizon: Zero Dawn (10 hours?)

Still generic as fuck video game name
To me it sounds like random english words that a japanese developer cobbled together o.o;

Last edited by Lindz; 03-08-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #421
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
To me it sounds like random english words that a japanese developer cobbled together o.o;
Dutchmen, although whether that makes it better or worse is up for debate.

That said, I've been sick with a cold the past several days, so I've gotten to stay home and play video games like a garbage person!

Beat: Horizon: Zero Dawn (25-30 hours?)

Can't really go too deep on the story because a lot of the beats (like "who the fuck makes a cyber horse") are spoilers, but this wound up being a lot better than I expected coming from the Killzone devs. Admittedly part of this comes from a developer following the basic Ubisoft open world template without embracing many of Ubisoft's bad habits (there are ~56 major collectibles in the game world total, which by Ubisoft standards would be maybe one-third of a MacGuffin fetch quest), but this is still a game where you can hack a cyber T-Rex to make it kill its friends before shooting off its mounted guns to kill it with them.

Also Beat: Grim Dawn (20 hours first playthrough)

As a dual-wielding Pistol Mage, because fuck yes I want to be Allister Caine and play a bullet-hell shooter in an ARPG as the bullets. Like Titan Quest (which was made by most of the same people) each character can have two classes, meaning that character building mostly revolves around mashing the five base classes into whatever insane potpurri tickles your fancy. There's also a secondary talent system (where points are earned by clearing special shrine objectives in the world) that can be used to trick out your character with additional stats and even new abilities/procs that modify your existing moves, if you're willing to overlook the fact that the interface was designed by a literal crazy person and is also built around respec scumming: each "constellation" requires a certain amount of prerequisites before you can place points in them, but these constellations in turn can generate said prerequisites if you complete them. What this means is that you'll ultimately fill out Constellation A to get the prereqs for B, complete B so that it generates its own bonus points to maintain itself, then unspec from A so that you can continue on to spec in Constellation C.

Yes, according to the developers this is exactly how it's supposed to work. And while I like theorycrafting talent specs and builds as much as the next joyless video game sperg I prefer my talent trees to not have had their design doc written on the wall of a cell in an insane asylum.

Other than that there are a few old school sensibilities to the design, ranging from the minor (a million billion damage types that start to run together until you remember that fire damage is not burn damage, because one is the direct damage type and the other is a DoT type and arglebargleblurgh) to a lot of character skills being some variation on "damage, but with a debuff/AOE". This puts a crimp on the multiclassing because the game rewards focusing your limited talent points into making a small number of skills strong instead of having a bunch of weak ones: much like Diablo 3 you quickly realize that the optimal build path is having one or two bread-and-butter skills plus support skills that work on minimal investment, and a lot of builds' secondary classes will basically be passive/buff caddies. FFS at least have one class with a blink ability so that I can kite without having to fully buy into the classic Diablo/LoL AD carry experience.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #422
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get/play:

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
I bought this a while back, but never got to playing it. It's surprisingly fun. The platforming bits are clever, and battle is fun. The courses look daunting as hell, but they're actually not too awfully difficult. I can always appreciate a game that so blatantly makes fun of Mexican culture when everyone is so bitchy about "racism".

Persona 5
I was originally going to hold off on this until I spent more time unlocking stuff in Isaac, but after crashing for the umpeenth time, I decided to just start on this. Am I in a crazy alternate universe? This game actually has freaking dual audio. Atlus actually decided to let us not listen to underpaid homeless VAs! I'm about 7 hours into this. In other words, I'm 3 days into it. This game is incredibly stylish. Even if things turn sour, it'll be very nice to look at. Thankfully things haven't turned sour. I'm enjoying myself so far. It seems like the dungeons are going to be more than just themed towers, which is nice. The story is a bit over-the-top, but what do ya expect?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #423
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Playstation 4 Slim
Saw this on sale for $199 an was like wellllll no point in waiting any longer right?! An now its here an mine! 3 1/2 years late to the current gen!

Yakuza 0
Never was a fan of prequels cause they never advance the plot or anything but its more Yakuza. Beating up dudes takes priority over plot!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #424
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Get!
Playstation 4 Slim
Saw this on sale for $199 an was like wellllll no point in waiting any longer right?! An now its here an mine! 3 1/2 years late to the current gen!
If it makes you feel better I've had my PS4 for 2-3 years at this point and maybe half a dozen games for it on my shelf total (admittedly part of the reason for this is having a PC to play on like a big boy, meaning it's mostly a machine for exclusives or games I have no platform preference for).

Speaking of sort-of exclusives

Playing: Toukiden 2 (lots of monster hornbits hacked off)

Because lol KT PC ports. Speaking of which, I went from a game about killing giant monsters in an open world (H:ZD) to another game about killing monsters in an open world. I may have a problem, one that involves turning oni vaginas into more powerful naginatas in order to get even more Oni pussy (...for gear).

Also they added the Thorn from Freedom Wars, so that's neat.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #425
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Beat: I Am Setsuna - I really love the combat in this game, adding Momentum on top of the Chrono Trigger combat adds an extra layer of strategy and I love how customisable everyone is. Tweaking potential between techs and passives is excellent. The snowy environments are beautiful but simultaneously bland and I'm a fan of the piano score. Story is bland and has some weird plotholes but honestly I can recommend this one. 7/10.

Get: Yooka-Laylee - I have no nostalgia for the likes of Banjo-Kazooie since I never played it, but this is certainly passable so far. The levels are expansive but slightly sparse, the controls and camera are a little wonky, FUCK the retro-style minigames, they fucking suck my balls, the music is passable but repetitive (though I personally find Kirkhope very overrated) but the game is pretty and decent. Some really cheap design tricks though, lots of very long falls from precarious places and such.

Cosmic Star Heroine - this game is fuckin dope. Brilliant music, fantastic pixel art, you start with a super spy, a girl who summons guns with her mind and Dave from I.T. and the combat is brilliantly strategic thanks to Hyper state and needing to refresh your techs. I absolutely love it so far!
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games