UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #276
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"How can Americans live without toad in the hole?"

Just read this online and was wondering what our Britpackers thought of this. Yes/No: toad in the hole is amazing and countries that don't have it in their routine meal list are missing out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #277
Mercutio
Banned

Meh. It's fine. You guys are terrible at a number of foods but toad in the hole is hardly a priority.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #278
deoxys
Fog Badge

Filled with determination, we made a butterscotch-cinnamon pie this evening. And it was actually delicious.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #279
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Holy shit you can't just say that and not give us a recipe what is wrong with you
Old 05-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #280
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I most certainly second 'Geet's notion! It might actually give this house some desert variety!

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #281
deoxys
Fog Badge

Followed this video, and more importantly, the recipe in the description. Did not make whipped cream or pie crust - used store bought for those.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #282
Fairfax
Diesel Jeans

Send a message via Skype™ to Fairfax
Just made ~60 sugar cookies for a Memorial Day family cookout tomorrow. I use the tilde because you can't stop me from eating anything while it's still piping hot from the oven.

My tongue will never forgive me.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #283
Talon87
時の彼方へ

After years of frustration that Tostito's jarred nacho cheese (orange) and queso (white) taste awful and nothing at all like their restaurant counterparts, I've finally gone and made my first-ever homemade queso. Followed this recipe blindly, at half volume because I only melted half a pound of the cheese tonight and I can melt the other half some other time.

Don't want to speak too soon as I have yet to eat the meal (nachos w/ beef and cheese, the beef portion is still cooking). But so far this has been stupidly easy. I was worried that the cheese would easily burn or curdle since it mentions the need to "stir frequently," but even when I've had to leave the pan alone for 2-3 straight minutes there's been zero burning and zero curdling. If anything the queso just keeps getting thinner, which is fine by me since I'm planning on pouring it over my nachos Moe's-style instead of using the queso as a dip.

I doubted whether the garlic powder was standard or not, and to taste it seems like I was right to suspect. The product doesn't taste like what you get at Moe's or most Mexican restaurants, but holy shit is it good. It works well with the cumin and green chilis to produce a zesty, even tangy kick. Strange to use "garlic" and "tangy" in the same sentence but it's true! Would definitely recommend you try the recipe out as written, but I think the next time I prepare it I will omit the garlic and see if the queso doesn't taste closer to standard Mexican restaurant fare.

I'll post again later to let you know how the meal went. But so far, my assessment would be:
  • Difficulty: 1/5
  • Satisfaction: 4/5
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #284
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Eating it right now and holy shit does this taste great. Restaurant grade, easily. The serving size I gluttonously gave myself by accident is easily 1.5x more than I can eat in one sitting, and every bite is delicious. Will post photos of meal later since this dish is best enjoyed warm. But man oh man oh man ... I could sell this for $12 easy.

Below is a step-by-step assembly of the platter:

1. Place nachos on plate.
2. Slowly pour queso over nachos. The aim is for the layer of cheese to be thin but evenly distributed. A little goes a long way with this very flavorful queso!
3. Spoon meat over nachos. I think you got this.

4. Add lettuce.
5. Add black olives.
6. Add sour cream.
7. Add some sprinkles of harder cheese.

Needless to say you can add whatever toppings you like.

I ended up being a little hungrier than I thought I was. (Half the reason I opted to make this dish was because I've missed dinner the past two nights, eating only lunch and then falling asleep early.) If by my estimate it was 150% of a normal Talon plate, then I guess you'd say what I have left is 15% of a Talon plate.

Very satisfied. Can't give it the 5/5 because it's not three-star French restaurant heaven, but as cheap homemade food goes this is very, very good. I bookmarked the queso recipe and will try to make it enough times that it becomes committed to memory. It's that good. I'm even hesitant to omit the garlic powder like I said I was originally going to. It's a really fun queso with that addition!

Last edited by Talon87; 06-06-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #285
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

So I tried making tempura and used coconut flour for the batter yesterday.

I will never ever use it for tempura batter ever again.
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #286
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

My brother and I tried to make cinnamon rolls from scratch today- key word: tried.

I guess the recipe called for more milk than it actually need or something, because we were completely unable to roll the dough. Add in the fact that we thought putting yellow food coloring to the icing might make it look better, and we quickly wound up with a cinnamon lump that looks like it's had eggs poured over the top of it! Not exactly the best bit of baking we've done, to say the least...

I really wish we had a better camera...

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc