UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, is a popular series of books written by Tanigawa Nagaru and illustrated by Itou Noiji. It details the adventures of the narrator-protagonist Kyon, a sardonic but otherwise fairly normal high school freshman, who finds himself roped into the harebrained hijinx of one Suzumiya Haruhi, an eccentric girl whose heart yearns for encounters with the supernatural. Haruhi forms an unofficial club, the SOS Brigade, into which she forcibly inducts Kyon. She also conscribes three other students: the quiet bookworm, Nagato Yuki; the timid school beauty, Asahina Mikuru; and the ever-smiling transfer student, Koizumi Itsuki.

It would appear Kadokawa and Kyoto Animation, true to their "viral" approach for the Haruhi series, will be airing season II very soon...as in immediately. It's apparently a surprise, and under the guise of re-broadcasting of the first series. One episode has been confirmed to be new, taken from the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody chapter of the novel (which was quite good!).

The litmus test comes in a few hours, but all streams for SunTV are dead. I'll see if stream links appear sometime soon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-11-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Finally! I actually was recently thinking about starting a thread on this, but I figured that no one knew anything since it's a project that has been underway for quite some time now. It's sort of funny how this is coming extremely out of the blue.

I wonder how many episodes we can expect to get?

Hopefully it's as good as the first season, which I'm sure it will be. Haruhi is definitely one of the best anime's out there, in my opinion.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Vran
Cascade Badge

I insisted that this was the case when they announced re-airing Season 1, but the people of Wakaba refused to listen. It feels good to be vindicated.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

And so it begins.

I would have loved to watch it live, but it seems the streams were knocked down specifically to prevent people from streaming Haruhi. Shouldn't be long (~about five hours) before a RAW appears, and maybe seven until a sub does as well.

The episode is indeed Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I wonder how many episodes we can expect to get?

Word is ten more than season one, so around 24 episodes.

I'm ambivalent toward this because I feel most of the recent material isn't as good as the middle novels. BLR was great. Snow Mountain Syndrome was really great. All of Book 4 was gold. But the latter novels have been pretty meh, and there will likely be a good mix of that material in with the good stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I love Haruhi and it's probably the only anime I'd go back to at the moment in light of another season (other than Ouran <3~).

Personally, I'm gonna wait for the subs to become available, as I think the dialogue is far too valuable in this show to pass up.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Vran
Cascade Badge

Who was the awesome guy who translated Haruhi the first time around? He was amazing. :o I want to see his subs. Didn't he work for [a.f.k.] ?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sorry guys, I belong to the group that's frowned upon: I'm just going to have to hold out and wait for the dubs, hopefully they'll be out this time next year :/

I don't mind subs, but I definitely prefer dubs.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
Who was the awesome guy who translated Haruhi the first time around? He was amazing. :o I want to see his subs. Didn't he work for [a.f.k.] ?
IMV Koda of gg will probably take Haruhi up. It remains to be seen, because this is one anime that will likely get oversubbed.

afk has disappeared, like many fansubbers who finished their "legacy" series. Last I heard he was subbing Kanon which was years ago.

Actually, those times seem like a different era looking back from here. Maybe even another lifetime. :O

Anyhow, the RAW is up, yotei doori. I expect a good subber to have it done sometime in the next few hours, but the current groups are interesting. I've never heard of Mazui, they might just be a one-time group. And "DB_L-E" would presumably be Dattebayo and Line-Evil, which is a pair I'd never imagine would team up. Looks like we've got Haruhi fans among the Naruto and Harlock ones. =3=
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
I'm going to the suupaa to buy some chiizu.
Quote:
My favorite Poketto Monsutaazu game has got to be Purachinamu.
Quote:
So, this summer I went to Japan and went on a ryokou. I climbed Mt. Fuji, stayed at some traditional hostels, and even ventured into a tabi or ni.
Quote:
Everything is going yotei doori.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Whoever wrote those best be trollin'.
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
Whoever wrote those best be trollin'.
'Fraid not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Anyhow, the RAW is up, yotei doori.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was either that or "keikaku doori". I decided against the latter after reading a certain topic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Vran
Cascade Badge

The latter sounds like a better translation of the 4chan meme, but the former sounds like authentic Japanese. Either one sounds wapanese to me.when used in an otherwise purely-English sentence.

I apologize. This has nothing to do with Suzumiya Haruhi Season 2.
Have some official art and some Churuya-style fanart of the [spoiler!!]s that will hopefully be in Season 2.

Btw, what's up with CoalGuys and gg appearing to have joined forces for Haruhi 2? It doesn't make sense. Not only did CoalGuys earn a bad reputation for their speedsubs of Toradora, but they antagonized gg's own ilifin who branched off to form "qq" fansubs and sub Toradora since Koda and the other gg'ers didn't like Toradora but ilifin did. So ... I don't get it. Isn't it an ass thing to do to ilifin for gg to join with CoalGuys? Is this a troll? Is the CoalGuys+gg release a fake?

WHOA! It looks like even Dattebayo's wanting to take part in the action! Check it out! :o

Man. Now I'm torn. Dattebayo for reliable release schedule or gg for trust in their ability to translate complicated sentences well (see Code Geass R2, and not their pisspoor job with Season 1).

This really sucks. I want a.f.k.'s guy back on this. He's still the best translator I've ever seen. The second best translator, and the best one still in operation, would be the one who works for TheTriad. Labaaman, or something like that if I recall correctly. He did an excellent, excellent job translating the grammar and vocabulary in Kaiji. It was as literal and yet natural-sounding-in-English of a translation as they come.

Last edited by Vran; 05-22-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Vran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I just finished the first episode of Season 2, and I have to say, it's exactly what I expected and more.

The story was fantastic and they definitely fill in a couple gaps that I never even considered as well as a few of the holes left by the limit of stories portrayed by the first season, and I'm sure this will continue.

One thing I was a bit surprised to see (well, hear) was the music. Everything is extremely beautiful and complements the scenes fantastically. I don't recall the first season having music like this, but maybe I'm just noticing it more as I watched pretty crappy YouTube videos for all of season 1.

Based off the fact that it took me a moment to pick up where things were going, I'm assuming that the story is going to be aired anachronologically like the first season. Is there any conformation of this yet?

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like the "second season" is really just a fill-in-the-blanks game. How often do you think we'll get new episodes with the reairing peppered in between?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 05-22-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Vran
Cascade Badge

The fans who disagreed with my predictions told me that Haruhi Season 2 must air during the month of December because of the importance surrounding that date for the fourth volume, The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. Given this, I'm guessing that we're looking at one episode a week for the next 30 weeks, which means that if they space things just right, they'll pull it off perfectly.

Between now and December y = all the old episodes, a few, maybe, of the December-relevant episodes, and otherwise entirely new episodes that come before or after Book 4

December = the rest of Book 4
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think CoalGuys has some gg staff members or friends, or visa-versa. They have a mutual hatred of Chihiro, so that might be the common tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
Man. Now I'm torn. Dattebayo for reliable release schedule or gg for trust in their ability to translate complicated sentences well (see Code Geass R2, and not their pisspoor job with Season 1).

Quote:
And "DB_L-E" would presumably be Dattebayo and Live-Evil, which is a pair I'd never imagine would team up. Looks like we've got Haruhi fans among the Naruto and Harlock ones.
=3=
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Vran
Cascade Badge

Dattebayo is the new era's Live-Evil ("we used to sub the most popular stuff, and then we went legal and now only do obscure tiny shit nobody cares about except timecop"), so I can't say I'm too surprised.

Now if it were May 2008 and we were having this discussion ...

I dunno. It's still weird. Everyone hates Chihiro, but that's not the common tie. I assure you, it's Toradora that was the source of much conflict between qq (which is ilifin and Kaze) and CoalGuys. Specifically, the latter would come onto ilifin's blog (and later qq's website) and would troll in response to the former pointing out that CoalGuys' subs were borderline rewrites, or in other words were not proper translations at all.

Then again, ilifin and Kaze are too preoccupied with K-On! these days to even release Toradora (DVD or TV, makes no difference) and so I can't help but wonder if perhaps ilifin either left or was kicked out of gg for his selfish behavior over Toradora.

And I'm still off-topic.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Say what?!?

So whats the good Fansub group doing this season?

EDIT: I left my laptop on for a few hours before posting this and didn't see you guys post about the fansub groups.

Last edited by Loki; 05-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Vran
Cascade Badge

Lol, right from the get-go nobody can translate it correctly / agree on a translation. ^_^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by the first three words
季節は夏。
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalGuys & gg
It's summer [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo & Live-Evil
'Twas summer [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by word-for-word
Season, Topic Marker, Summer
Bring back the a.f.k. guy.

For the record, CG&gg's is accurate, just not very precise. (Given what Kyon says next, it's probably what I would have gone with too. But I wouldn't have translated it like that if all he'd said was those three words.) DB&L-E's, on the other hand, invents a bizarre flourish with "twas" that has no justification for being there other than the translator for their team imagines Kyon as being quite sophisticated. O_o

Last edited by Vran; 05-22-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Vran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"delorean"? "you fag"?

If the word on the street is true, fudge off gg & CoalGuys. I'm not watching your insultingly loose subs for a show like Haruhi.

I'll take a chance on Mazui because Vran has already sampled LE/DB and gg/CG, but it's a one time deal so who knows what'll happen next week...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

>My favorite Poketto Monsutaazu game has got to be Purachinamu.
>My favorite Poketto Monsutaazu game
>Poketto Monsutaazu
>Poke Mon

:O
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
"delorean"? "you fag"?
I haven't watched anybody's yet. I quit 30 seconds in both, because both disappointed me. ^^; But I have high standards for a show of this caliber. I've been waiting three years for this!

I'll go ahead and volunteer to watch both for you though, okay? I already have them. In fact, I have their early release and their later release for both groups. lol The only one I didn't touch was Mazui, considering what mazui means in Japanese. ("Not good.")
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Clearly the arch rivals of Umai Fansubs!
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #24
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Which sub do you recomment vran? Are seriously none of them good right now?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
Vran
Cascade Badge

I haven't watched any yet more than the first 30 seconds. o_o; I'll watch them after lunch, don't rush me. And even then, I may not watch all of them. Maybe just the first 5 or 10 minutes. Why? Because I'm like Jerichi.: I want to rewatch the original series before I dive into this. I wouldn't feel right watching this with the first series being a little on the rusty side in my memory.

But if I had to go off of what I know in general,

gg = 4chan trolls = typically hate Haruhi --> Doppleganger could be correct that they are trolling people with CoalGuys.

Also, gg = "you fag"-sorts of translation in Code Geass Season 1. Or am I the only one that remembers this? When Geass 1 aired, the best group was Shinsen. When Geass 2 aired, it was a competition between Eclipse and gg but surprisingly gg had the better translation. (It didn't hurt that both groups had access to the closed caption streams for Geass 2.) gg has not always been good. It's amazing how people forget these things so quickly. And gg have always been a bunch of 4chan trolls. So it wouldn't surprise me to learn that their best translator dislikes Haruhi and thus leaves them incapable of subbing it well, and so their next best option is to troll-sub it.

Dattebayo = famous for trolling people with certain releases, but they never would do it so minutely. When they troll, the release is the video for one anime but the audio for another. Or the subs are totally bizarre. From what little I've seen so far, DB's subs are ~99% accurate. I just don't like their choice of translation is all. Things like "Twas." What the fuck. Kyon isn't an erudite British guy. If anyone would say "twas" it'd be Koizumi Itsuki, and even Itsuki wouldn't say "twas".

Mazui = brand new as far as I know. I don't intend on touching them until I see DB and gg's work first, and only then if both DB and gg's work is unacceptable.

But from what I saw, both groups were fine. Here, hold on a second ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime