Rules:

6 v 6 lvl100 Singles on Nintendo DS Wifi
Item Clause
Sleep Clause
Uber Clause
Evasion Clause
1HKO Clause
Every creature must be different
Using Explosion/SD/Destiny Bond to make the battle end in a draw results in loss for user of said move

Clause notes:
Item clause means you must have a different item on each Pokemon. Sleep clause means you may only sleep 1 pokemon. The use of rest does not count for this clause. Evasion clause means double team and minimize are not allowed. 1HKO clause prevents the use of moves like Fissure and Sheer Cold.

Pokemon not allowed due to Uber clause:
Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet, Ho-oh, Lugia, Celeby, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys (all), Wynaut, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, Acerus, Manaphy.

It will be done tournament elminination style.

More details on other stuff later. Expect this to happen the first or second week of August.

Any questions?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #2

Re: UPN D/P Pokemon Tournament

prizes?

ban wynaut too.

why ban jirachi when celebi and manaphy are legal.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In order to enter, what do we need to submit besides Friend Codes?

Also, since these tournaments cannot be monitored by a judge in all instances and we will need to rely on the Honor System, how do you suggest we go about arbitrating disagreements in the event of poor sportsmanship? (I do not suspect this will be a problem with the men and women gathered in this forum though. It's a concern I would more realistically voice at Smogon or SPPf.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No OHKO clause?

What is the precise date AND time of the first round?

Wynaut isn't nearly as scary as Wobby. Granted use of Focus Sash + Counter/Mirror Coat is frightening, it's at best a gun with one shot. It's either hit or miss.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #5

shadow tag pisses anyone off.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Ban Manaphy as well. Those things are all kinds of nasty, as I'm sure Reed would attest.

And I can't use my movie Darkrai. Teh sad.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I tried finding an uber list on Smogon, but couldn't so I just made the list by memory. I'll add Wynaut and Manaphy. I allowed Celebi cause it's weak to pretty much everything while Jirachi is kind of tough with good typing. I forgot 1HKO clause, that is a good one.

As for time and date, it will probably be on a weekend but once the pairings are made the two people who are going to fight should find a time when they are both able to play. So I don't force people to get on when it is bad for them, both opponents can just go "sure fri at 5pm est is fine" or something. If anyone has any disagreements, take a picture of the match with your cell phone or something. I don't know. I think people here are mature enough to understand the rules and stuff.

As for prizes I have no clue but it will probably be awesome. Aside from that, the knowledge that you beat all UPN people. >:3

Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

Another rule should be no F.E.A.R Rattata. xd Even though it's insanely easy to counter.

I'm up for this, but I dunno if I'll have completed Diamond and transferred my team from Sapphire. Ah well, will have to wait and see. xd
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Something tells me "Mod of PVG, a shiny nameplate, and babes."

Well .......... maybe not the shiny nameplate. ;)
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Lady Kuno

FEAR is dumb and its forced 100. Theres alot of counters to it too so I won't ban it.

What time is good for most people? Like... by when will people think they will be ready? I don't want to rush people but DP has been out for a while. I don't want it to take too long so people forget and lose interest.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I will not be able to compete (in any rounds, be they Initial, Semis, Finals, whatever) starting August 10th. At the same time, I doubt I'll make it past Round 1, so if you decide to start the tournament around then, I should be good to show up and get creamed.

Actually, I may vanish from the boards for a while. (Weeks, months, years ...) So don't listen to me. Just replying so you don't think I'm ignoring this. If I can enter the tourney, I will. If I can't, I won't. That simple.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #12

i still think that celebi should be banned if all its brothers are banned too. Even with its weaknesses, it is one of the best baton passsers/seeders/subbers/whateverthehellyouwantit. It can recover off damage and with 100s across the board, it scoffs at even the strongest attacks. Even Heracross has trouble Ohkoing. just for the annoying factor.

it should be done all on one day and we should all be on like msn or something so that instantaneous notices can be given. this should help with speed somethingsup.

talon, where joo going man.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
Loki

I might be in Chicago on the week of 13th of August. =(
Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor
I don't want to rush people but DP has been out for a while.
DP only comes out this Friday in Europeland. xD

Also, just wondering, why are all the trios allowed? Somebody with a properly trained Azelf or Regi could easily sweep the entire tournament. >>;
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Quote:
I don't want to rush people but DP has been out for a while.
DP only comes out this Friday in Europeland. xD

Also, just wondering, why are all the trios allowed? Somebody with a properly trained Azelf or Regi could easily sweep the entire tournament. >>;
Somebody with a properly trained Weavile / PHazer / Blissey can laugh in Azelf's face. As Kuno put it, "There is no point in banning that which can be overcome by those with superior team strategy. If you can't beat [insert allowed Pokemon], you probably deserve to lose to it anyway." Any team designed these days ought to be able to do the following no matter what:

1 - eliminating Blissey
2 - not being wiped out by Azelf
3 - knowing how to anticipate Electivire (e.g. don't be a moron and try to TBolt a Gyarados)
4 - being prepared to either clear the field of spikes (Rapid Spin) or being prepared to embrace them (e.g. having Tyranitar and Metagross on your team and saying, "Pfft, like I care")
5 - not having more than one Pokemon who is 4x weak to a particular element (e.g. don't run Torterra *and* Jumpluff)
6 - not having more than three Pokemon who are 2x weak to a particular element (e.g. do not run Electivire, Metagross, Drapion, *and* Steelix)

If your team gets hosed by one properly Calm Minded Gardevoir, "you deserve to lose." (Where is Roar? Where is your physical sweeper? Where is your special sponge? ANY ONE OF THESE THREE would stop a CM Gardevoir in its tracks.)
If your team gets hosed by one Naughty Plotting Azelf, "you deserve to lose." (Azelf has *ASS* defenses.)
So on and so forth.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimaru
talon, where joo going man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaDevourer
I might be in Chicago on the week of 13th of August. =(
I have a medical school orientation in Indianapolis on August 10th and 11th. I then have to go up to Purdue on the 12th because on the 13th (Monday), I have my first day of med school. Thus ...

a) I will probably be offline quite a bit, if not entirely, as the only reason for me to even get online is if I have the time in which to watch anime or chat with people, and neither is likely in the first month (if not the first year, if not the entirety of school)

b) Loki could not have chosen a worse week to "be in town" (pfft, still another 2-3 hours drive away >>) because I can't possibly spend 4-5 hours on the highway to visit him in a town I have not visited since I was 10 years old, and I doubt I can arske him to come visit me at Purdue and to "stfu and only visit for 5 minutes because I'm busy, bitch". In other words ... I'd be a horrible host or a horrible guest, either way. It wouldn't be fun for either of us, and it would probably have very real negative consequences for me.

Way to not be able to visit one week sooner. :P :P :P Fuck, I could have asked Matt to drive me to Chicago if you had done that. (And come the week of August 6th.)
Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Somebody with a properly trained Weavile / PHazer / Blissey can laugh in Azelf's face.
Regarding Weavile and Blissey, yeah, usually when there's a Psychic against Dark it doesn't go well. And Blissey's just plain torture when it comes to battling one, so that's no suprise. No idea what a PHazer is. :P

And technically, any Pokemon can come out on top against a legendary. Oo; What I'm saying is either ban none or ban all. :O And this is coming from somebody with a l33t Entei. >>;
Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The difference is in IV spread. I think it's semi-arbitrary where one draws the line (my understanding is that it is currently drawn at "anybody whose base stats add up to 600 or greater is considered overpowered"), but what you have to understand is that no matter what "absolute figure" we settle on, Azelf's stat spread is not comparable with Mewtwo's and is more comparable with Alakazam's. Example ...

Stats are listed as: HP Att Def SpAtt SpDef Speed
Creatures are listed per row as: Alakazam, Azelf, Mewtwo
Code:
055 050 045 135 080 120
075 125 070 125 070 115
106 110 090 154 090 130
Take a look at that list. Mewtwo's base HP is an impressive 106 and his base defenses are decent at 90; Azelf not only "doesn't even come close" but is actually weaker than Alakazam in Special Defense. Azelf is also slower than Alakazam by five (crucial) points. And his punch (at 125) packs much less power than Alakazam's (at 135). In other words ... for a special sweeper, Alakazam is faster, stronger, better than Azelf.

Now, if what I said was strictly 100% true, everybody would still be using Alakazam and nobody would have caught on to using Azelf. The opposite is in fact true. This is thanks to several things we have to admit, things which catapult Azelf above Alakazam ...

First off, he does have a better defense and HP set. It might not be much, but it's better than Alakazam's.
Second, he learns Nasty Plot.
Third, he has Levitate (nice) instead of the shit-worthless Synchronize (doesn't effect freeze, sleep, or paralysis, the three most powerful stat changes in the game) or the even more shit-worthless Inner Focus (yes, because Alakazam will be able to survive physical moves which may make him flinch ~_~).
Fourth, movepool. (Alakazam arguably lost more than he gained this gen; on the other hand, Azelf has everything he needs)

I'm not trying to get you to believe me when I say "Azelf is not scary." Yeah. Yeah he is. But imo, and in the opinion of many others, he is more close to "Alakazam, Tyranitar, Gengar" scary and far removed from "Mewtwo, Deoxys, Giratina" scary.

Ohhhhhhhhh Giratina ... *huggles* I don't use legendaries, but if I did, this is what I would use. H-O-O-R-A-Y for a wall with teeth.
Code:
150 100 120 100 120 90
F-U-C-K-I-N-G------------B-R-I-C-K------------W-A-L-L
Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
Lady Kuno

Talon is incorrect.

[ABILITY]
Synchronize
[SHORT DESC]
When statused, the enemy is also statused.
[LONG DESC]
When statused by the enemy, both directly (like Thunder Wave) and indirectly (like Thunderbolt paralysis chance), the enemy is inflicted with the same status.

Taken from Smogon. Synchro owns. I'm breeding an Alakazam for a friend right now and I'm afraid of it so far. As for Azelf.. I've destroyed many Azelfs in my day. They suck. >:3

Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #20
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Talon is incorrect.

[ABILITY]
Synchronize
[SHORT DESC]
When statused, the enemy is also statused.
[LONG DESC]
When statused by the enemy, both directly (like Thunder Wave) and indirectly (like Thunderbolt paralysis chance), the enemy is inflicted with the same status.
Synchronize does NOT pass on sleep. I can confirm this from personal experience from trying to have my Alakazam Synchronize a Uxie's Yawn sleep and having shit nothing happen.

That said, why the hell is Jirachi banned? If Metagross and Bronzong are kosher, Jirachi's perfectly fine. Manaphy's kind of floating in the "iffy" category (on one hand, Rain Dance hydration is ugly; on the other hand, without Kyogre Manaphy either needs to waste a moveslot setting it up or have another Pokemon do so), and Shaymin, though it's not broken in OU, should be banned on the principle that it hasn't been released yet.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #21
Lady Kuno

The problem is I'm not a master of the metagame and there is no definate uber list for DP.

That being said, if there is an outcry to allow borderline legends like Jirachi I would allow it. I don't use one so I don't really care either way. As for Synchro not passing that, didn't know that. Will be nice to do against Alakazams in the future.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #22
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
b) Loki could not have chosen a worse week to "be in town" (pfft, still another 2-3 hours drive away >>) because I can't possibly spend 4-5 hours on the highway to visit him in a town I have not visited since I was 10 years old, and I doubt I can arske him to come visit me at Purdue and to "stfu and only visit for 5 minutes because I'm busy, bitch". In other words ... I'd be a horrible host or a horrible guest, either way. It wouldn't be fun for either of us, and it would probably have very real negative consequences for me.

Way to not be able to visit one week sooner. :P :P :P Fuck, I could have asked Matt to drive me to Chicago if you had done that. (And come the week of August 6th.)
I am not going to Chicago to visit you. I am merely going to Chicago and stating I won't be able to participate if the tournament is held on the week of the 13th. Stop thinking everything is about you
Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
Lady Kuno

Due to lack of further input, I'm gonna make the tournament the week of August 5-11. A signup post will be made and will be closed the first day of August. It will be upto whoever you are against to decide on a time as soon as possible so it does not take too long. The prize is yet to be determined but it will be awesome.

If anyone feels that this is too soon or gravely dissapointed by the time then I can change something but I would like to start it soon.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #24
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Can we move the signup back a few days so I have a better idea of if I'll have any semblance of a viable team or not? Or would it be better to just sign up and pull out/get my ass kicked by Reed if breeding continues its disturbing trend of giving me pokemon with great IVs and horrible natures or vice versa.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
magpie
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to magpie Send a message via MSN to magpie

I am absolutely no good in the metagame but every tournament needs a 16th place, right?
I'm in, sounds like a lot of fun ^_^

So we just give our FC? (I found this from the BMGF forums...)

Sinnoh National Pokedex
Seen: 492
Caught: 492

Pokemon Battle Revolution Friend Code:
3780-6070-0190
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON