UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #5526
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So there's a collection of all the PVs for the Fall 2013 season! Let's watch and comment!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #5527
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Fall Season this year is so bad ;;
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #5528
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Fall Season this year is so bad ;;
Now watch as people will end up liking at least half of the shows of the Fall Season.

Anyway, my commentary on the PV collection!

----

0:00 - Kyoukai no Kanata

Kyoto Animation found the action genre? Looks neat, I have hopes for this show. Also Hasebe's VA!

1:17 - Nagi no Asukara

People living under the sea. Insert all the Under the Sea AMVs. I'll give this one episode and see where it goes.

2:23 - KILL la KILL

Okay, they've somehow brought the art style of FLCL back to life and added more half-naked females. I'm not entirely sure I want to give this even one episode.

3:13 - Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova

Why am I getting a Guilty Crown vibe from this? One episode given.

4:14 - Yowamushi Pedal

Sport animes continue with...cycling! Okay, this is on my "let's watch" list!

4:43 - Log Horizon

This season's Sword Art Online - and cheap at that. Unless I see some exceptionally good reviews, won't be touching this.

5:45 - Golden Time

...what? Someone explain to me what I just watched. It was boring AND confusing! One episode, out of charity.

6:35 - Non Non Biyori

Will have a look, this one might be fun. Also CATS!

7:32 - Gingitsune

Hey, it's Natsume Yuu- oh wait it's not. It's the female route of Natsume. Not interested.

8:27 - BlazBlue Alter Memory

I've played BlazBlue, I know the game. The anime looks sorta generic...but I'll watch, if for nothing else then Sugita-bro (Tomokazu Sugita) as the main character, Ragna the Bloodedge. :3

9:20 - Outbreak Company

Tits. Tits. Tits. "What's wrong with being an otaku?!" *interest lost*

10:15 - Tokyo Ravens

I'll have a look, though this looks like a generic shonen anime.

11:03 - Strike the Blood

This season's Code BREAKER. Not interested.

11:56 - Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai

One episode given. Is it just fanservice or is there actual plot going on?

12:50 - Walkure Romanze

Dropped based on the music clip alone. Then came the fanservice butt-shot.

13:25 - Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru

Not related to RomCom SNAFU. Visual novel vibe. Need good reviews before I watch.

13:55 - Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku NAritai!

.........whaaaaaaaaaaat. Pro-wrestling female meets pro-wrestling man, fanservice ensues. Dropped.

14:35 - Galilei Donna

Apparently this is a visual novel about the descendants of famous historical figures such as Galileo Galilei? I'll give this a look, because noitaminA.

15:02 - Samurai Flamenco

This has got to be the least convincing PV. I'll give this one episode.

15:18 - Meganebu!

"So girls like hot guys and glasses? Let's stick those in one show!" Yeah, this is just trying way too hard to cater to fujoshi and failing at it. Dropped.

15:59 - Coppelion

Action and cars and shooting. Will watch at least an episode, hell I'm already through Jormungand and GaruPan.

17:02 - Gundam Build Fighters

Gundam. Dropped.

17:52 - Dia no Ace

Aim for Ace! for guys, with baseball. Dropped.

18:25 - Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta

Seems entertaining, at least. Gonna watch.

18:56 - Little Busters! ~Refrain~

Refraining from watching this. Har har.

20:16 - Kuroko no Basuke S2

KUROKOOO~! <3<3<3 Must watch.

20:42 - Infinite Stratos 2

Haven't seen the first series if there was one. Visual novel. Not watching.

21:45 - Magi 2

Haven't seen the first series. Not gonna watch until I've finished Magi and found it watchable.

22:15 - White Album 2

K-ON! for non-moe-fans. Not bothering unless good reviews.

22:54 - Freezing Vibration

Ooh, looks decent! Giving this fighting show a whirl.

23:36 - Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 3

What is this. Not watching.

24:05 - Seiyuu Sentai Boisutomu 7

This anime has something to do with...voice-acting? If the anime looks decent, I'll watch, but if it's like the PV I won't bother.

24:35 - Tesagure! Bukatsumono

Hey, it's RWBY! In school! With a club setting! Dropped.

25:05 - Diabolik Lovers

I'll give this an episode, though I've heard it's in the vein of Karneval in the target audience being the fujoshi and the show being a try-hard.

25:41 - Super Seisyun Brothers

Could be fun, I like my deadpan snarker banter. Will watch.

26:03 - Kyousogiga TV

Another "WTF" show? Dropped.

26:12 - Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui
Shimashita

Ungodly Long Title with girls. Unless I see a good review, not gonna bother.

26:27 - Kakumeiki Valvrave 2

I'll have to watch the first series with my friends for top-class riffing of this apparently epicly weird and hammy show. We'll see after that if I'll watch this.

26:42 - Hajime no Ippo Rising

Shonen show about boxing. No thanks.

26:52 - Gaist Crusher

My brothers could watch this on TV on weekends. No thanks.

27:08 - Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero: Battle Spirits

...see above.

27:18 - Oshiri Kajiri Mushi 2

What. No. Do you have to ask? NO!

27:28 - Miss Monochrome

Hoping this has a good plot, so a definite "maybe".

27:39 - pupa

Is this a horror anime? It looks like a horror anime. Interest earned, will see at least the first episode.

----

Yeah, here I thought the rain season in Japan meant loads of good anime since people hang around indoors more than usual...or is that the Winter Season?

Last edited by kaisap112; 09-15-2013 at 09:22 AM.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5529
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'll watch the PV compilation when I get back from work (god damn you free time constraints!). I am sort of interested in the first three shows the compilation showed though.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
Finished! This show had its down moments for me, but overall, it was a fun show. I loved the bickering between Rin and Luvie(?). The fights were cool as hell as well. Some of them didn't make alot of sense, but neither did FSN! I guess I give this a 6. It had some great moments, and the ending was really funny, but it also had its share of episodes that irritated me the entire time. I still look forward to season 2.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #5530
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Speaking of new shows, and I might be totally late to the party with this one, but...

Tamako Market is getting a second season.

I'll just quote someone here:

A second season of mental moeblob stupidity has been confirmed for God knows what reason, further production of economic and all-around failure Tamako Market is on its way [...].

Kyoto Animation’s low quality moeblob mess, Tamako Market, was unsurprisingly a pile of unfulfilling fetish catering. They were probably baffled to find that their usual scheme of recycled character designs to unoriginal plot lines didn’t sell well in the case of this series, and evidently, are intent on trying again.

[...]

It’s unusual for Kyoto Animation to be juggling so many works all at once. Their means of operation has definitely and quite clearly changed, an increase in efficiency likely all thanks to K-ON’s profit stream. Yet also thanks to K-ON!, some things haven’t changed, like the blobs for characters and eviction of meaningful plot development in favor of over-sized eye twinkling and blob-face jiggling.

More or less, Kyoto Animation’s continued innovation of new ways to desecrate their past continues.

If I'm understanding things correctly, K-ON! has single-handedly ruined a lot of what anime is and could be, since now everyone's going mad with moeblob. (Note: I'm still gonna watch Chuunibyou 2 whenever it comes out.)
Old 09-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5531
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Since now everyone's going mad with" ... that doesn't seem right to me. If anything, now is when I feel like we're already in the waning period of the moeblob storm. I feel like things peaked about two or so years ago. Recent years have seen us getting more Psycho-Passes and Fate/Zeros than the years where it seemed like no matter where you turned you were going to see a KyoAni moeblob staring you in the face.

Also, I don't feel like you can blame the popularity of K-On! on the moeblob storm. K-On! was itself a direct product of the nucleus of that storm. I could be wrong, but I feel like it all began with 2006's Lucky Star. Before LS, we didn't have that much moeblob. After LS, there was moeblob everywhere.

And if we want to be fair, you're enjoying your fair share of moeblob (C3-bu) or reverse moeblob (Free!) series yourself, aren't you? It's not like "adorable faces" automatically has to equal "show I won't allow myself to like". There are a lot of factors that go into determining whether a series is good or bad, and for most fans I don't think that Doppel's proverbial "egg eyes and pancake faces" are enough to land a series in the trash heap.

Aaaaaaaanyway ... on the topic of Tamako Market S2 ... yeah, not excited. I was one of the millions who didn't even bother tuning in to Episode 01 of the original, so the fact that they're wasting their time and budget on a second season of that one rather than giving me a second season of Hyouka (to which I'd be mildly excited) or Haruhi (to which I'd be incredibly excited) is disappointing. Or hell, I'd even prefer it if they did something totally brand new (like the original Tamako Market was!) rather than giving us a second season of Tamako Market. But I know that some people watched and enjoyed it, so I guess this is good news for them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #5532
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
And if we want to be fair, you're enjoying your fair share of moeblob (C3-bu) or reverse moeblob (Free!) series yourself, aren't you? It's not like "adorable faces" automatically has to equal "show I won't allow myself to like". There are a lot of factors that go into determining whether a series is good or bad, and for most fans I don't think that Doppel's proverbial "egg eyes and pancake faces" are enough to land a series in the trash heap.
Difference between C3-bu and Free! being that in those shows people actually do stuff and aim/reach/try to reach goals they've set.

K-ON! was four/five girls sitting in a room and eating cake. Despite being a music club and having a goal of X (was it the Tokyo Dome?). "I'll just sit here and be moe!", in a sense.

Even Chuunibyou had Rikka and the rest doing rituals and club activities and even a storyline with character development!
K-ON! was static. That's the most polite way I can put it.

I know I make little to no sense trying to explain exactly what I like and don't like about some genres, but I'm doing my best.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #5533
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No, you've correctly identified one of the things I hated most about K-On!, which was how dishonest it was both with itself and with its audience. Constantly we're told that it's a show about a group of girls who aspire to become musicians who will make it to Budoukan, and yet in the end we got 39-odd episodes and one movie worth of cake-eating and moemoeness. What ends up being so frustrating about K-On! is that you don't witness any significant growth of Yui's. It all happens off screen. One second she can't play guitar and the next she can. One second she plays it poorly and the next she plays it really well. All you ever see her doing is being moe, eating cake, and sleeping with her guitar. It's not fulfilling. I wanted to see a cute girl do with guitar what Shindou Hikaru did with Go in Hikaru no Go. Instead I got a cute girl ... just ... being cute all the time. And osmotically learning how to play guitar.

That stated, I didn't hate K-On! This is just one of the things I hated about it.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #5534
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Now you're getting me to wanna watch Hikaru no Go. One question though: I thought it's a sports anime, but then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Genre: Psychological, Supernatural
How accurate is this?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #5535
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Now you're getting me to wanna watch Hikaru no Go. One question though: I thought it's a sports anime, but then

How accurate is this?
Very psychological. Somewhat supernatural. Here: read this.

Quote:
This show is the best Yu-Gi-Oh!-like show I have ever seen in my life. I watched the first fourteen episodes in one 24 hour window. If you love perfectly written, sympathizable villains, this is your show. If you like amazingly well-written drama, this is your show. Basically, if you liked anything about or anybody from Yu-Gi-Oh! - Yami Yugi, Bakura, Seto Kaiba - this show is your show.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #5536
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've been telling BBB I need to watch it. It reminds me of how I was in summer orientation during Hurricane Katrina and heard nothing about it because I was utterly unplugged from the news, and came back home to hear about what happened.

Not to mention, several of the alumni from K-ON! have gone on to stardom in the same way that several of Haruhi's class did. I definitely feel like I was the only person on the planet who didn't watch it, even if not true.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #5537
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Very psychological. Somewhat supernatural. Here: read this.

[This show is the best Yu-Gi-Oh!-like show I have ever seen in my life. I watched the first fourteen episodes in one 24 hour window. If you love perfectly written, sympathizable villains, this is your show. If you like amazingly well-written drama, this is your show. Basically, if you liked anything about or anybody from Yu-Gi-Oh! - Yami Yugi, Bakura, Seto Kaiba - this show is your show.]
I heavily dislike Yu-Gi-Oh!, actually. But I'll give Hikaru a go. Har har.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #5538
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not Yu-Gi-Oh!. I'm just saying that it's the best show I've ever seen in the genre of shows where:
  • a young boy becomes possessed by a ghost
  • that ghost is very good at a card / board game
  • the boy develops an interest in the card / board game himself
  • the boy meets many people as he plays the card / board game
There aren't too many series with that specific niche genre. Card games and board games, sure. Possession by ghosts, sure. Both in one show? Not exactly common. Probably even fair to call it rare. That's why, when I think of Hikaru no Go, I can't help but to draw comparisons with YGO. Because this series has a Yuugi-like character, a Spirit of the Millennium Puzzle-like character, a Seto Kaiba-like character, and so forth.

Here. The easiest (and most awesome ;D) thing you can do is to just go ahead and give us 23 minutes of your time and watch Episode 01 right here.

Like I wrote above, I watched the first fourteen episodes in one day. In my opinion, it's that good of a show. And if you look through the thread I linked you to, you'll see that it's not just me who says so. Mcsweeney ... Dopple ... Char ... person after person agrees that Hikaru no Go is a true masterpiece. For us to all give it the masterpiece rating ... I'm not going to promise you that you will too, but I will promise that the odds are insanely low you would think the show anything beneath a 6/10.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #5539
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Pretty much. I liked YGO, 5D's, and Akagi, but HnG was different from all three and was very clearly a Masterpiece. The character development is resoundingly thorough, if not realistic then very believable. It also paints the upper echelons of the Go universe as a small world of intense competition and pride. It also paints appreciation for a game that's thousands of years old and a significant part of Japanese culture. Mahjong might be more popular, but Go is way more authentically Japanese.

Depressing HnG spoiler:

Spoiler: show
Incidentally, Hikaru's CV is now in the same place Sai went to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #5540
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

On Kyoto. To me, it seems like they have been slowly trying to change while still attempting to keep their otaku harem (atleast until Free). Their stuff the past two years has been less uneventful SoL stuff like Nichijou, K-On, or Lucky Star. I mean, Hyouka and Tamako Market still bored me, but they had something there. Next season they're trying for an action show, which could be okay.

I dunno, after Kanon and Haruhi, I've been trying to give Kyoto a chance with all their shows.

Also that guy just sounds like another of those "MOE IS KILLING ANIME! I'M UNABLE TO ACCEPT CHANGE!" kinds of people. I get that it's irritating to wade through shows in hopes of something good through all the bad moe shows, but moe doesn't instantly equal bad. It's also kind of irritating that not many shows try to be different anymore, but what can you do? There's still some good shows coming out, and it's not like it's dead. I mean if you're shallow enough to hate an anime just because the show tries to be cute, then sure, I'm sure it's dead for you. I'm sure you can continue jacking off to your Evangelion reruns (not talking to anyone here).

For Tamako Market 2, it's 50-50 with me. The show actually had potential. The episodes about the actual marketplace were actually pretty good. Sadly this was for about 20% of the show. If season 2 is less about Tamako and her merry band of high school girls, and more about the marketplace and shopkeepers, then it could actually be good. I doubt it will be about the marketplace, but I guess a slight glimmer of hope still shines in my loins.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #5541
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
For Tamako Market 2, it's 50-50 with me. The show actually had potential. The episodes about the actual marketplace were actually pretty good. Sadly this was for about 20% of the show. If season 2 is less about Tamako and her merry band of high school girls, and more about the marketplace and shopkeepers, then it could actually be good. I doubt it will be about the marketplace, but I guess a slight glimmer of hope still shines in my loins.
They've revealed new moe characters and apparently the plot will be about the Prince trying to win Tamako over to becoming his wife.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #5542
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That sounds like the makings of the greatest love story ever told.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #5543
Char
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
That sounds like the makings of the greatest love story ever told.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #5544
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have no idea why, but a movie trailer from two years ago is currently trending on YouTube. It's a trailer for The Magic Treehouse, a Japanese animated film adaptation based on a series of children's books by the same name. Perhaps you've heard of it before? I don't recall reading these books as a child myself, but Wikipedia reveals that new books in the series have been published regularly every year since 1992.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #5545
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
I have no idea why, but a movie trailer from two years ago is currently trending on YouTube. It's a trailer for The Magic Treehouse, a Japanese animated film adaptation based on a series of children's books by the same name. Perhaps you've heard of it before? I don't recall reading these books as a child myself, but Wikipedia reveals that new books in the series have been published regularly every year since 1992.
W-WHAT?!

That's like my entire childhood. @___@
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #5546
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

So apparently Monogatari 11 was just a Bakemonogatari recap. I'll watch it purely for nostalgia, but I can't really write about it.

But apparently next week doesn't revolve around who I first thought it would.
Apparently the staff decided to switch Otorimonogatari and Onimonogatari around, so next week we'll see a Nadeko focus. I'm actually pretty alright with this. I don't feel like she had enough airtime in Nisemonogatari so I'm pretty happy to see her pop up again.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #5547
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A movie released lately called Aura Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai. I haven't looked into what it's about, since I want to be surprised. However, Tanaka Romeo is the original creator, so that's reason enough for me to watch it when/if a kind soul decides to sub it. It has only been a week since it released, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

EDIT: Here's a trailer for it. It looks like a regular old romance, but I'll still watch it. There has to be more to it than drama between two people.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 09-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #5548
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm just going to wait out the first week to see what shows promise and what gets people talking (which is what I usually do anyway). The only show I'm actually excited for is Kill La Kill, despite how angry everyone looks in it and despite the amount of sexy (mostly) naked chicks that will most likely make me roll my eyes

What? I'm an honest man. It is true. That trailer had me all "mmmmm gurl"

Strong, badass female characters who don't take shit from anyone are always supreme waifu material. If they're hot, too, it's a bonus for me! .....Even if it is just anime!
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #5549
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fall 2013 Anime:

Optimistic will be a season-long keeper:
  • Gingitsune
  • Nagi no Asukara
  • Golden Time
Neutral:
  • Magi Season 2
  • Pokémon XY
Will check out at least one episode but pessimistic about:
  • Galilei Donna
  • Log Horizon, a.k.a. lol let's mooch off of SAO's success
  • Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai
  • Pupa
Will check out simply for laughs and then drop immediately:
  • Outbreak Company
Specials and OAVs I'll be checking out:
  • Genshiken Nidaime OAV
  • Pokémon: the Origin
  • Suisei no Gargantia bonus episode (technically Summer 2013 but still not out yet)
  • Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya bonus episode
  • Watamote OAV
Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #5550
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So apparently the visual novel Diabolik Lovers should be called "Wifebeaters the Game". It's also terribad enough to make me laugh out loud at the awfulness.

If you follow WataMote and recall the "sadistic yandere ikemen" stuff Tomoko listens to and loves so much, this is an anime that's all sadistic ikemen guys and yandere stuff. And my reaction to finding out that the guy I like the most based on the PV is apparently the yandere route of the game?

"Goddammit I never pick the nice, normal guys! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"

Also NEAR-RAPE WITHIN THE FIRST FOUR MINUTES OF THE ANIME. This is going to be a running thing. Make of that what you will. I'm having the time of my life with all the terribadness!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime