UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #301
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
People have been going nuts for the past four months since the LGPE disaster, but it looks like something is at work!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...95059923439616
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #302
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

OK, it's a bit much to call LGPE a disaster, don't you think? But indeed- a Pokémon Direct has been announced, which means Gen 8 is incoming! I wish I didn't have work tomorrow, but at least the Direct will be live while I'm on break!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #303
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
OK, it's a bit much to call LGPE a disaster, don't you think?
No, it's accurate.

The horrific sales in Japan and the amazing sales in the US paint a grim picture for where future Pokemon games are going to pander to.

Quote:
But indeed- a Pokémon Direct has been announced, which means Gen 8 is incoming! I wish I didn't have work tomorrow, but at least the Direct will be live while I'm on break!
Well, don't get your hopes up. Have an open mind.

it's possible that tomorrow's Direct will not be Gen VIII focused beyond "it's coming!". Because even with the poached Pokemon Z staff I would be highly skeptical that a real ground-up Switch game is ready for launch this November. There's simply not been enough time without some kind of shortcut:

-"not actual game footage"
-3DS models
-poor character animation

And so on. Anything perceived as laziness or weakness will be mercilessly dissected, so the easiest way to sidestep that is to hit it out of the park. I'm just skeptical that will be the case.

I'm predicting logos.

Order and Chaos.

Let's rock.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #304
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
No, it's accurate.

The horrific sales in Japan and the amazing sales in the US paint a grim picture for where future Pokemon games are going to pander to.
The Let's Go games are appreciated for what they are, and that is not as a sufficient replacement for the main series games. They are a bridge, connecting the newcomers and GO-only players to the main series, easing them in. Don't you see? If we have entirely different games devoted to holding the newbies' hands, that means they're all the more likely to keep said handholding out of the main series proper! Let's Go doing well is a good thing for those of us who like to see more challenge out of our Pokémon games!

Quote:
Well, don't get your hopes up. Have an open mind.

it's possible that tomorrow's Direct will not be Gen VIII focused beyond "it's coming!". Because even with the poached Pokemon Z staff I would be highly skeptical that a real ground-up Switch game is ready for launch this November. There's simply not been enough time without some kind of shortcut:

-"not actual game footage"
-3DS models
-poor character animation

And so on. Anything perceived as laziness or weakness will be mercilessly dissected, so the easiest way to sidestep that is to hit it out of the park. I'm just skeptical that will be the case.

I'm predicting logos.

Order and Chaos.

Let's rock.
OK, first off, I have to try and dig up where this was said, as this was sometime last year, but it was confirmed that this year's games have been in development since before the Switch even came out (and also confirmed that the games would not be influenced by GO). Second, did you see the announcement on Twitter, with the three Poké Balls lined up like that? Bare minimum, we're getting the starters. And if we're getting the starters, we're getting the region. Any way you slice it, this is not just logos.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #305
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
The Let's Go games are appreciated for what they are, and that is not as a sufficient replacement for the main series games. They are a bridge, connecting the newcomers and GO-only players to the main series, easing them in. Don't you see? If we have entirely different games devoted to holding the newbies' hands, that means they're all the more likely to keep said handholding out of the main series proper! Let's Go doing well is a good thing for those of us who like to see more challenge out of our Pokémon games!
LGPE are mainline games. They carry the "Pocket Monsters" title in Japanese, and were advertised as such in Japan and in America.

People chose to ignore this fact because it didn't fit their idea of a main series game. That doesn't change the reality that it is on equal footing with ORAS and SM. We have the live with the consequences of money talking, just like we have to with ORAS blowing away all sales expectations.

Quote:
OK, first off, I have to try and dig up where this was said, as this was sometime last year, but it was confirmed that this year's games have been in development since before the Switch even came out (and also confirmed that the games would not be influenced by GO).
Well, we know this just from the timeline.

DS - November 2004
BW - September 2010
3DS - March 2011
BW2 - June 2012
XY - October 2013
ORAS - November 2014
SM - November 2016
Switch - March 2017
USUM - November 2017
LGPE - November 2018

It wouldn't make sense that GameFreak got its hands on the 3DS at the same time as the rest of us. Conservatively, you could say they knew at least a year in advance. That would mean that development on XY started at least six months before BW's release, if not earlier, since it was building up a new system from scratch. Or, to give a rough estimate, it took at minimum 3.5 years to put out a shoddy quality game like XY.

It wouldn't make sense for Pokemon Z to be cancelled in 2015 if GameFreak wasn't already aware that NX was the future, and MH was never going to happen. They would need some idea of the hardware capabilities when thinking about game design.

Since Z was cancelled relatively early, I am guessing the Gen VIII game began development at least up through ORAS' launch. That means we're looking at a game with almost 5 years of development time.

It better be good. No cutting corners.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #306
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbh I think we're going to be looking at something akin to the jump from BW to XY. LGPE, while... its own thing, actually had a good few QoL changes I hope are kept to a degree.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #307
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

27 minutes friends! Who's in here?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #308
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Nearly 1am in Aus but I’m here.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #309
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh man those leaks...!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #310
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Spoiler: show
Pokemon Sword and Shield. It is indeed the UK.

Dang, that was obvious. Why didn't anyone call it?

Those designs are TERRIBLE.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-27-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: LOOOL
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #311
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
All the starters are my sweet babies and I love them all
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #312
phoopes
Double Dragon

Oh baby.

Region looks awesome! Loving the step up in graphics. It's set in England which was suspected and looks reeeaaalllly linear but hey that's okay I wasn't expecting BOTW level openness.

LOVE the designs of the main characters. Love love love.

Grass monkey is super cute! Water lizard is okay. Fire bunny eww.

Overall pretty happy. Expected there to be more fluff than there actually was. I'll go a solid 7.5/10 on the reveal.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #313
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

So far, its seems that they're actually putting in effort for the overworld detail this time (aside from the snowy mountain, anyway), so that's a plus. It's a bit curious that they seem to have taken the Nazca lines for this one, but considering that Kalos kidnapped the Stonehenge, I guess they had to find something else to use here. Wonder how long this serial theft of ancient landmarks is going to last?

It took me a bit longer to realize that it was indeed a region based on the UK than I'm happy with, though that's partially because I was paying too much attention to the background music on first watch-that definitely electronic vibe reminded me too much of Gen. 5's OST and had me confused. Appropriate in retrospect, but still odd. The Region iteself seems to be upside-down and a bit elongated compared to its base country, which is... slightly better than 'it's just a pentagon, LOL!', I guess?

...Not a fan of the guy's backpack. That thing does not look comfortable in the slightest. The girl's coat is cute, but... she's wearing a short skirt with no leggings or pants beneath it. What's the point of wearing a jacket if you're just gonna leave your legs open to the elements? Really hoping that character customization returns (as it most likely will) just so I can fix that issue if/when I manage to get one of these games.

Are we sportballers now? Seems like we're sportballers now. That's certainly... different.

Not liking the Grass starter at all (at least in regards to physical design- its introduction was kinda neat). Fire was interesting... intil I notice it had meowth-style spindly legs with feet the size of its head. Like, the rest of its pre portions make sense, but its legs, the part that's bound to matter most for a rabbit (and does, based off its intro) are flimsy wire? Uh, no thanks! That means Water wins for me by default, which is fine- sobble's cute enough as it is, and I gotta give props to GameFreak for animating its camouflage fading as it crawled out of the fountain as good as they did. And I don't blame it for hightailing it the heck out of there when the monkey started disturbing the peace

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #314
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I noticed a few worrying things.

First, it looks like the game engine has rolled back to using XY's models, properly proportioned like the boss fight cutscenes in XY. I was not expecting an upscale of XY, even LGPE introduced more new artwork in this regard.

Second, a lot of the QOL features from LGPE have been rolled back. No walking Pokemon. No overworld semi-random encounters.

The region design is top-notch and I couldn't complain about that, but the starters are the worst in Pokemon's history, not gonna lie.

And man, it's good to see Serena again. Even if she's been relegated so being a generic Lass, she looks gorgeous in a boarding school uniform.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #315
Emi

I prefer the random encounters to LGPE's system honestly, but I'm a senile nostalgic fool so.

The starter designs are all really good and easily better than like, all of Gen VI already. I have no idea which one I would choose. Maybe I'll raise all three. ^w^

Game looks really good, I'm super excited.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #316
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Oh baby.

Region looks awesome! Loving the step up in graphics. It's set in England which was suspected and looks reeeaaalllly linear but hey that's okay I wasn't expecting BOTW level openness.

LOVE the designs of the main characters. Love love love.

Grass monkey is super cute! Water lizard is okay. Fire bunny eww.

Overall pretty happy. Expected there to be more fluff than there actually was. I'll go a solid 7.5/10 on the reveal.
The stuff in the spoiler tag you had me until you rated the starters, as your opinions on water and fire were not "absolutely precious beans" and are therefore completely incorrect, sorry I don't make the rules.

I've chosen fire ten months in advance once again.

@Dopple:
Following Pokemon are gone because this time we're not kanto-only. Making and animating overworld models for a national Pokedex as big as we know now is a gargantuan task. Following Pokemon is a nice dream but until 3d modeling can be made much less data-intensive or we simply have the storage capacities to make it less overwhelming, it's not coming back. XY boss trainer proportioning is a good thing, sun and moon's proportions and walking animation in tandem were a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park

Last edited by Heather; 02-27-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #317
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
The starters are cute fire aside. Worried about it’s final typing. Bandage nose is a bad sign.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #318
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
the starters are the worst in Pokemon's history, not gonna lie.
There's at least two generations that would disagree with you there, namely 3 and 6. ...And maybe 5 in hindsight. They're not great but they've definitely shipped worse on numerous occasions.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #319
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I'm still gonna die on my hill of Gen 2 being the weakest for starters, followed by 7 and 6

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 AM   #320
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
There's at least two generations that would disagree with you there, namely 3 and 6. ...And maybe 5 in hindsight. They're not great but they've definitely shipped worse on numerous occasions.
I can't speak for those gens since I skipped 'em and I've had years to be desensitized. But I put them below Gens I, II, V and VII which were the gens where I wasn't absentee during announcement.

I hate Oshawott, but I can't honestly say that any of the Gen VIII starters are better looking than it. Maybe equal.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #321
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Remember this fake starter?

Watch this but keep your eyes peeled at 1:12.

During the TemTem Kickstarter, a supporter bought the rights to the fake platypus design, then paid the developer to include it as an official temtem.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #322
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I guess this is the closest thread to post in...

Anyone got Pokemon Snap THE REVENGE? I've heard a bunch of negative things about it, with the only major plus being the Goodra girl.

How is it? Does it hold up in a world habituated to selfies?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #323
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
I guess this is the closest thread to post in...

Anyone got Pokemon Snap THE REVENGE? I've heard a bunch of negative things about it, with the only major plus being the Goodra girl.

How is it? Does it hold up in a world habituated to selfies?
I've been having fun with New Pokémon Snap. You can get a lot of really good pictures, and the photo editing tools, while a far cry from something like photoshop, are still fun to play with, and I like that you can upload photos for other players to see. It's a lot of fun IMO.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #324
Emi

I have generally heard a lot of positive feedback, it is basically what you are gonna expect from a Pokemon Snap game in that it looks very pretty and is a rail shooter and that's basically it.

I think most people can probably agree it should have been like $20 cheaper though.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #325
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

SOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo....it appears like all hope is on Legends Arceus because BDSP looks shockingly bad. It makes me feel remoseful for pooping on LGPE so much three years ago!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News