UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #7901
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Goblin Slayer

I mentioned I caught up to the manga a bit back. But I need to talk about this again because I think this manga is the closest we're ever going to get to an Icewind Dale manga adaptation.

Despite having no close similarities to D&D, and mainly focusing on a single monster type, the manga most closely resembles the spirit of playing the IWD CRPG. IWD was a dungeon crawl versus Baldur's Gate's more wilderness/frontier approach, and GS consistently invading dungeons while managing resources like spells brings back that nostalgic feeling.

It helps that the current dungeon is a castle beneath a frozen mountain, similar to the Vale of Shadows in the first IWD game.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #7902
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Isekai Meikyuu de Harem

This is like Shield Hero, but far less edgy. There's no false accusation of rape or trying to twist slavery as some kind of moral good. The main guy in this actually bangs his hot female slave in Chapter 12, which fixes the biggest and most obnoxious problem with Shield Hero, that the cast and main character are unrelatable.
Slavery here is very heavily contextualized.
-this is a video game world created by Japanese authors
-this is how the world works and I'm powerless to change it
-if I don't buy this slave she'll possibly end up with a worse master than myself

What I find funny is the slave trader who pitched the slave to this guy basically said that brothels are an easy way to get STD's. Doesn't make sense in a magic world and the Ishuzoku Reviewers are pretty fine hitting up brothels every night, but it was a pitch.

With knowledge that the guy actually bangs the girl the cringey scenes where he tries to put the moves on her becomes a bit more bearable. A bit.

It's still chalk on a nailboard.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #7903
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Domestic Girlfriend

I'm dropping this. It's ULTIMATE CRINGE! This is 1000x worse than anything else I've seen except maybe School Days way back when. It's boring, the melodrama is dumb and the social awkwardness is as stiff as the Magura Cave paintings.

The basic premise: guy is in love with his unprofessional, hot teacher. He knows society can never approve of their relationship and it's one-sided, so he has a one-night stand with a high school girl.
The next day, his dad reveals he's marrying an older woman whose daughters are the teacher and the one-night stand.
So the story is a weird tug-of-war between the indecisive guy who can't stop obsessing over both the one-night stand and his teacher, but is restricted by law from pursing them.
There's nothing original and it's just incredibly embarrassing to behold. I feel stronger just getting through episode one.

SUCKS!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #7904
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Isekai Ojisan

This is hilarious and awkward and I really like it. It's about a 34 year old man who returns to Japan after 17 years in an isekai world. He still has all his power and strength from the isekai, but no job skills, so he's a youtuber ala Shazam.

*deep breath*

OK, I can't delay this anymore. I've got 14 chapters to the end of Onani Master Kurosawa. It's time to end this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #7905
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Gonna go ahead and move/copy relevant posts over to the OMK thread, which you can read if you want to hear other people's personal spiels on the subject.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #7906
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

New Shaman King Animé for 2021

*shriek*

Of all the series getting reboots recently this isn't one I would've expected but oh man am I excited for this. =O SK was one of my first favorite shows that got me into animé, back when I could only watch dubbed (which I suppose will be a boon if it turns out they can't get the original voice cast back, as another article seems to suggest ^^; ).
Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #7907
Connor
Flashbacker

I remember watching the Shaman King dub before I even really fully knew what anime was, alongside Beyblade. God damn they better get a good studio.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #7908
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In late 2000, I had an AIM chat with Seadra Reef and asked her what the next Pokemon was going to be, and she linked my to Shaman King's Japanese website.

I'm still a bit unsure why SK never really took off in the footsteps of Yu-Gi-Oh!, seeing as that really was the next and last been phenomenon after Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #7909
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Neat. I never got into Shaman King when it aired on TV here, but I know a lot of people talk about it fondly. First Fruits Baskets and now Shaman King.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #7910
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hitsugi no Chaika

I'm watching this for some reason. Planetes bored me (sorry!) so I won't progress any further unless I can talk with someone about it. I was able to muscle past the anxious parts though, thanks to the level up from Kurosawa.

Episode 4:

Spoiler: show
I think Dominic is dead and her dragoon is assuming her form.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #7911
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hitsugi no Chaika
RATING: 7/10 (Good)

This is a nice, dark*, pulpy shounen title. There are a handful of twists although it's mostly predictable. The characters are simple but fun and quickly endear themselves to the viewer. There's a lot of cute girls, and I mean that in the original sense of the word - although the girls are nebulously adolescent, you don't feel sexually attracted to them. The main characters generally don't kill their enemies so when death happens there's more dramatic weight to them, although the series isn't above plot armour.

As for the story, it's essentially the Bhaalspawn plot. An evil wizard-king was killed, but he sired/cloned several daughters who are tasked with resurrecting him. The girls are all clones of his one original daughter (sharing the same hair, eyes, face and voice) but they vary in personality, skills and physical development. "White Chaika" looks like an overgrown loli, while her copies "Red Chaika" and "Blue Chaika" have more mature personalities and bodies.

The series uses some jargon that is a little strange at first, but easy enough to pick up. "Saboteur" = "ninja" and "freya" = "magical beast".

Overall, the series was an easy watch. While it doesn't do anything original, it's special enough to be pretty entertaining. This was a nice way to unwind after Onani Master Kurosawa. I've still got an OVA and season 2 to sift through.

*in colour palette and tone
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #7912
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle
RATING: 6.5/10 (Good)

This is a slight downgrade from the previous season. It's rushed at the end for no reason, because there was only 10 episodes and a worthless filler OVA set during the first season included after the broadcast, for a total of 11 episodes. So dumb, why did they just not make it 12 episodes?

I was also left unfulfilled due to no further romantic development between Chaika and Tooru. It was very strong in the first season, where they fake kissed at the climax (Chaika gave air to a drowning Tooru) and then had a fake out real kiss. There was no such development here, and in fact it looked like the story went backwards.

Best comp for this series? Its contemporary, Akame ga Kill!. Although it feels like a PG version of AgK since there's almost no fanservice or ultra mature themes in it, despite the dark yet not edgy tone.

Overall, a good time. Now what am I going to watch?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #7913
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Planetes

I feel like I was tricked. I was expecting a fun, sci-fi show in space, not some cringey adolescent romance drama. When I first put it down I thought it wast just one episode, not the entire freaking show.
When's this get good? Episode 10.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #7914
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Surprisingly, there isn't a thread on Planetes, so I'm still going to vent here.

Planetes - 13

My opinion of this show just gets lower and lower. I've moved past irritation and am starting to hate it. I feel tricked, as the series that should have focused on a high-brow sci-fi concept has been reduced to boring, generic, cringeworthy social awkwardness.

The past four episodes have been 1.5 slice-of-life plots. The rest was dedicated to the awful romance. I thought it was going to be far more subtle than this, not in-your-face dominating.

In a way, this is worse than Onani Master Kurosawa because when it came to Kurosawa, I knew what I was getting in to. I knew what the story was about. I don't know what Planetes is anymore.

-_-
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 AM   #7915
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I need recommendations...I'm running up dry here.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai

Now I know where the pink haired girl Loki posted came from. This anime, narrated by Kibutsuji Muzan (I think) is OK. As a pure comedy premise the romantic tension doesn't bother me that much...yet at the same time, I don't find it all that fun/interesting.

Unless there's a huge development soon I might drop this. Pink hair is cute, but not worth holding onto this for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #7916
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kind of early for an update but I've already grasped the "inequality" of this dynamic.

Although the first episode portrayed Kaguya and Shirogane as equals, that's definitely not the case. Kaguya is borderline unapproachable - her status and talent puts her out of reach for most boys, and her haughty attitude filters out the rest who might dare to approach her. Any who might approach her...have better options.

Kaguya is inferior to Chika in looks. She's pretty, but she has a small frame and looks kind of like a vampire. I'd pick Chika ten times out of ten. For an anime girl, she's average.

Meanwhile, Shirogane is far more desiable. A self-made man from a humble background, his ego feels far more artificial than Kaguya's, and he isn't lacking in good looks either.

Looks matter most in a love comedy (or, love in general) so Kaguya's money, pedigree and power mean nothing while her icy attitude is a negative. She has a bad hand.

It's telling to me that most of the proactive antics are Kaguya flexing her Meiya money to try and craft situations that force Shirogane into her hand. She's so far lucky she has no competition, because if another girl was seriously after him, Kaguya would lose pretty hard.

I guess this inequality helps to create some sympathy for her. I'm cheering for her to win (i.e., Shirogane breaks down first) because Kaguya stands to lose everything if she doesn't.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #7917
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Ishigami is best girl. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #7918
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I don't think the girl's looks should always be the most important thing for the heroine of a love comedy. And by love comedy, I mean this is a comedy first and love is the topic of the comedy, not a comedic romantic show, where romantic drama is primary while comedy is secondary. The jokes push forward the romance, not the romance pushing jokes.

Spoiler because these can be seen as spoilers.
A lot of the comedy is about how Kaguya is less pretty than Chika or other girls, about her own insecurities. And it really pushes forward that how much each character does love one another when Shirogane doesn't fall for other girls, especially in S2. The fact that he's not choosing a prettier and easier to get girl shows that he's very much in love with Kaguya.

Also, Shirogane is a hot mess in his own right. lol

I tried to pick up Ano Hana since it's on Netflix and I know Yuki and Talon spoke highly of it.... except I dropped it after one episode. Sorry, but that ghost girl was far too annoying for me to bear.

Recently I've been rewatching Persona 4 the Animation because Persona 4 Golden came out for PC on Steam. Fun times.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:51 AM   #7919
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Progress is slow. I think if I didn't want to watch Planetes more, I'd have given up on this. I'm not slow because it makes me squirm, but because the comedy bores me, and/or is predictable.

I don't get any laughs out of the exaggerated reactions and Chika's presence isn't enough to hold my attention. I'm just here for the pretty artwork and original ED's.

So far, I've seen Ishigami once and Kaguya's maid hasn't been seen at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The jokes push forward the romance, not the romance pushing jokes.
It's weird, but for some reason knowing this makes it easier to watch. It's not a cakewalk, but I can get through this in a week's time versus my typical timetable of a decade+ for Kurosawa and Planetes.

Isekai Ojisan is similar, and I wonder if you'll like it for that reason. When I read it on...mangakalot, I think? there were a lot of people in the comment section calling "cringe" or "secondhand embarrassment" but I didn't feel either. And I guess that reason is the manga being clearly a (dark) comedy and not a romance story, no matter how much people want that tension to resolve.

Quote:
Spoiler because these can be seen as spoilers.
A lot of the comedy is about how Kaguya is less pretty than Chika or other girls, about her own insecurities. And it really pushes forward that how much each character does love one another when Shirogane doesn't fall for other girls, especially in S2. The fact that he's not choosing a prettier and easier to get girl shows that he's very much in love with Kaguya.

Also, Shirogane is a hot mess in his own right. lol
Well the title is "Kaguya wants to be confessed to", so it would make sense that she's the more anxious character, for the reasons I stated above. But among flat-chested tsunderes, she's pretty low on the list, somewhere around Louise from Zero no Tsukaima.

Quote:
I tried to pick up Ano Hana since it's on Netflix and I know Yuki and Talon spoke highly of it.... except I dropped it after one episode. Sorry, but that ghost girl was far too annoying for me to bear.
It's OK. I actually forgot how I felt toward it, although I remember finishing it. The supernatural element of Menma being an actual ghost is what drives it forward.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-18-2020 at 09:23 PM. Reason: misspelled italics tag
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #7920
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Ano Hana hit a lot of personal notes for me from the premise alone, so that automatically elevated a letter grade even if it never quite reached the heights promised. Since you saw the AMV I submitted to Animé Boston I'd say you already got the gist anyway (*cough* though it does leave out one great "twist"). That's the magic of AMVs for me, since they can provide an easy summary of a story in its "purest" form without need for dialogue or filler. It's a reason why I probably won't ever actually watch Kids on the Slope, since I'm afraid it won't match up to all the amazing AMVs I've seen and would rather leave it as an idealized interpretation in my mind.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 06-19-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:08 AM   #7921
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'd really like to see an episode where Kaguya swaps places with the Kaguya from Miyuki's imagination. That version would probably (actually) kill Chika and Ishigami.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #7922
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'd really like to see an episode where Kaguya swaps places with the Kaguya from Miyuki's imagination. That version would probably (actually) kill Chika and Ishigami.

Heh.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War, Ch. 192:

Wow. That really hit me hard. I'm almost crying (although not for the reasons most people probably would...?)

The last line seriously impressed me because of how personally I can relate to the idea that "liking someone isn't always romantic". (Doesn't help that Osaragi herself physically resembles me. OTL) It's so rare to see aro representation of any form in media, so that took me by sheer surprise. I was even ready to root for Osaragi having her own unrequited crush on Ishigami up until the final page - and it's possible the original text carried that kind of meaning, judging by another translation which leaned that way - but I will choose to believe her (current) feelings for him are purely platonic in the way I wanted Ayano's to be towards Shintaro, in that she admires his selfless acts from afar but also sees how much he's suffering in secrecy and simply wishes him happiness. It's how I feel towards characters like Link and Tim Drake from BTAS. (Granted the former is the first and only person I've ever truly fallen for myself, but by the same token that "true love" just means I want him to be happy, whomever he ends up with - if any.)

It's hard for me to describe, but as an aromantic who hardcore supports certain ships... This summed up the thought process perfectly. Godamn. (Again, the message of Moeko's Owl comes to mind: "If you are happy, I am happy, too.")

Ugh, all the good stuff is in the manga and S2 is only going to scratch the surface. *flails*
Old 06-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #7923
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post

Heh.

Oh yeah. I want imaginary Kaguya to stomp on my ego. Grind it into the dust with all the guts squishing out and sinking into the earth. Mmph!

I'm almost done with the Kaguya anime. I'm almost certain to finish Planetes after this. I'm not sure where I'll go from here.

Loki described this show as "comedy first" but I don't find it funny. It's just been socially uncomfortable situation one after another, which is starting to wear on me.

I'm more invested in the romance actually reaching its resolution point but it feels like everyone but Kaguya and Miyuki have progressed. Ishigami, Kei and Hayasaka have all stepped forward. So, I'm not sure how much I can take another season where "nothing happens except over the top ren'ai keikaku".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post

Ugh, all the good stuff is in the manga and S2 is only going to scratch the surface. *flails*
Wuh-oh. Should I continue this? Is S2 even done airing?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #7924
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OK, I'll watch S2. This really picked up in the final three episodes. This is not a comedy anime, Loki LIED.

WOOoooAaaahhh, this is 2lewd4me. I never knew this girl harboured such dirty thoughts.

Who is this girl? Is she just an unimportant peeping tom? I've seen her around but she hasn't been introduced.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #7925
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Oh yeah. I want imaginary Kaguya to stomp on my ego. Grind it into the dust with all the guts squishing out and sinking into the earth. Mmph!

I mean, you may get your wish (eventually)...? >.>;

Quote:
Loki described this show as "comedy first" but I don't find it funny. It's just been socially uncomfortable situation one after another, which is starting to wear on me.

I'm more invested in the romance actually reaching its resolution point but it feels like everyone but Kaguya and Miyuki have progressed. Ishigami, Kei and Hayasaka have all stepped forward. So, I'm not sure how much I can take another season where "nothing happens except over the top ren'ai keikaku".

Wuh-oh. Should I continue this? Is S2 even done airing?
Quote:
OK, I'll watch S2. This really picked up in the final three episodes. This is not a comedy anime, Loki LIED.
Kaguya-sama rather reminds me of Ouran (and not just bc of the whole "prestigious school" premise) for how it starts off as a simple romcom but suddenly delves into some surprising drama. I'm definitely more invested in the drama than the comedy/romance at this point, although FWIW the romantic resolution between the main pair is actually achieved... (manga timeframe spoilers)

surprisingly rather "early" in the manga - considering the standards of these types of stories/characters. (And from then on it basically becomes Ishigami's tale lol.)

That said, I was also afraid a whole second season of the same "will they won't they" antics would drive off viewers so I was hoping the animé would get farther in the plot than it has, but I understand not wanting to rush either. S2 has one more episode left and judging by the ED I think I know what note it will end on.

Incidentally, watching today's ep and the conclusion of the Sports Festival arc juxtaposed with Ch. 192, it strikes me now how...

similar Ishigami and Osaragi are. All they wanted was to protect the smile of someone they deemed a "good person", regardless of romantic feelings. Granted, Ishigami went about it in a very "White Knight-y" way, but that's peak Chuuni for you...?

Quote:

Who is this girl? Is she just an unimportant peeping tom? I've seen her around but she hasn't been introduced.
Her identity is also explained in the manga.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime