UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-29-2016, 02:59 AM   #426
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
Like I really, REALLY want them to hug or kiss or something like that before Serena leaves, cuz then I can die happy
OH MAH GAAAD

I CAN TELL THE FUTURE
Old 10-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #427
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As for having to choose between motion and polish, Carnival Phantasm did a really good job of educating viewers on the principle of animation budgeting.
Daaaaaang this is so freaking surreal. My primary FSN experience remains the DEEN anime, so watching/listening to this is like peering into a dimensional rift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
But this somewhat feels a tangent to me now, so let's pull back a tad. Rather than focusing on "polish + motion now, neither later," let's re-focus on "polish vs. motion: which do I prioritize?" It's not as though shows with a lot of polish forego motion entirely. It's just that they tend to be less motion-filled than their action counterparts. Polished action is really hard to come by without a big budget. That's why it's always such a treat.
Rather than "polish" (although not a poor word in this case) I'd rather say the difference is staying on model during the animation. Most low-budget anime with high quality stills but minimal animation stay on model...because there's very little animation. If you have high animation and stay on model, it's almost certainly going to look good.

Naruto is a great example of where it looks horrible. OPM, like Gurren-Lagann, goes off model during animated sequences...but they sidestep the budget skimping aspect by stylizing the animation and physics.

As someone described to me with OPM's fights, particularly in the first episode, without being willing to go off model the intensity and disbelief those fights were able to convey wouldn't have been possible. So OPM deliberately does it like that, it isn't JUST about budget like in the Naruto case.

Here's one of my favourite .gifs, a Disney clip from One Hundred and One Dalmations featuring Roger. I keep it because it's an example of animation at its finest - there aren't a lot of frames, but there's a lot happening in each frame. But more importantly the animation has a strong sense for three dimensional movement and the artstyle, so he/she is able to stay on model. The end result is something that feels like it's computer generated, yet it looks more realistic than any 3D models for a game, show or movie I can think of:

http://imgur.com/a/4UdQz

Imgur actually converted it to a video...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #428
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Can anyone verify this (Talon)? This is some spectacular sleuthing if it's real. And I'll be a believer if it's legit.

Spoiler: show

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chan
Serena’s flight was “Latias H71" (it is said right before the kiss scene starts). Serena was going to Hoenn, so the #71 in the Hoenn dex is Mawile - or in Japanese, Kuchitto. Kuchi (Mouth) and To (with). Or in a rough translation, “Latias - but with the mouth”.

It’s the writers saying: “We can’t actually show you what they did because of censors, but she basically did what Latias did in the 5th film, but with the mouth.”

That would explain the cut-away. Technically, Ash has only been kissed on the lips (?) by Pokemon, such as Bayleef and Aipom, in the anime proper. Melody and Latias were in the movies, and Latias is a Pokemon too.

Also, that code pretty much telegraphs that Latias kissed Ash in Heroes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #429
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Can anyone verify this (Talon)? This is some spectacular sleuthing if it's real. And I'll be a believer if it's legit.

That would explain the cut-away. Technically, Ash has only been kissed on the lips (?) by Pokemon, such as Bayleef and Aipom, in the anime proper. Melody and Latias were in the movies, and Latias is a Pokemon too.

Sounds like the writers really put thought into this. It's amazing. I still can't believe it actually happened. Like I watched the scene over and over but it doesn't seem real. I'm so glad that out of all the girls Ash has travelled with, Serena was the one to kiss him. I'm never ever shipping Ash with anyone else again, not that I was going to anyway. But still oh my gosh it's unreal
Old 10-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #430
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chan
Serena’s flight was “Latias H71" (it is said right before the kiss scene starts). Serena was going to Hoenn, so the #71 in the Hoenn dex is Mawile - or in Japanese, Kuchitto. Kuchi (Mouth) and To (with). Or in a rough translation, “Latias - but with the mouth”.

It’s the writers saying: “We can’t actually show you what they did because of censors, but she basically did what Latias did in the 5th film, but with the mouth.”

Sure enough they do say ラテイアス航空H71便 (Latias Koukuu H71 Bin, or "Latias Flight H71"). There are a few minor errors with the 4chan guy's translation (should be Kuchiito, shouldn't include a "but"), but he's gotten the meat of the Easter egg correct at least.

Quick aside: normally you wouldn't use と to to communicate "I kissed someone on the lips." You'd use で de, which in this case means "by means of." 口で人とキスする, "to kiss someone with the mouth / by means of the mouth". But the idea of "kuchiito --> kuchi to" isn't lost even on the Japanese. Even they're discussing it, and seem to be in agreement that the Easter egg is more than just the "kuchi" part but includes the "to" as well. Kinda interesting, from a grammatical perspective.

Fans have pointed to further proof of the kiss's mouth-to-mouth nature: the fact that the Lumiose City siblings react as extremely as they do. After all, this is France! Kisses on the cheek are not uncommon, and while Citron might still be expected to blush were Serena to kiss Ash on the cheek farewell, given his nature, it's doubtful that Eureka would register it as strange. The fact that Citron is so red in the face, coupled with the fact that even Eureka and Dedenne have got their hands to their eyes/faces -- all of them French -- would suggest that the kiss was not a peck on Ash's cheek but was instead indeed on his lips.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #431
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Yes but what is going on with Pikachu in that picture lmao
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #432
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My reaction just now.

Pikachu has seen Ash get kissed before and hasn't had a meltdown like that. I guess that is how you shock an Electric Pokemon.

I think before the kiss scene Serena declares that Ash is her goal, and her dream is to be a better woman. I can tell you then that Citron's glasses were not obscured by light, but by steam.

Serena wins and Ash is now a man. Now go and win a freaking league already.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #433
satosere
Cascade Badge

I CAN'T TAKE IT Clemont and Bonnie and Pikachu's reactions tell all! Like Talon said, this is France. People kiss each other on the cheeks all the time there. So for them to be this freaked out by Serena's action just makes it even more DELICIOUSLY AMAZING
Old 11-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #434
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is XY on suicide watch yet? S&M is right around the corner my friends...

In that sense, this comic is pretty prescient.

With S&M, I guess that means Ash will be one of the few characters in the entire Pokemon universe to have a formal education.

The Pokemon Tech kids had one. Gary doesn't - he's lept all the way to research associate following a presumed tutorship, like how scientists and proto-scientists were before the 19th century. I'm not sure about what the Pokemon Profs went through, but I would assume they similarly were tutored by other existing experts and didn't go to a formal school.

So by the time we get to Pokemon Hiroshima & Nagasaki, does that mean Ash will be employed as a trainer/salaryman? With a wife? You know Shinzo Abe wants every opportunity to sell the virtues of marriage and childbirth. Why not start the pitch with the most accessible medium available, children's anime?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #435
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

Can we all agree that XYZ had the best side characters, and the best battles?
The angular, dramatically shaded art style is just the most beautiful thing ever... I rewatch the Kalos League episodes just about every month.
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime