UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #51
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
This is true, unfortunately none of the tourneys I won ever gave cash prizes, just cards and equipment =/

My best friend's brother is the Dragon Ball Z CCG 2004 World Champion, won $5000 from upperdeck, got through college with it, I believe. Crazy shit. Coincidentally, he's also won Pokemon game championships, too. EVs/IV trains like a fucking maniac.
Almost all tournaments just give out cards. What you do is you resell the cards you win for profit. On top of that, you can make ridiculous amounts of cash playing the market. Buy cards when they're low and resell them when they're high.

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #52
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
The rulebook was a lot smaller back in my day.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #53
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I used to play until about the GX era. I took one look at the Elemental Hero set and decided that I was couldn't get into that.

Originally I played a Relinquished deck, then a Fire/Stall deck and then a Warrior deck. I was the happiest with the last one because I had a legit Gilford the Lightning. I used to have so much fun playing, which was only against my bro and friends, but it was really fun. One of my favourite moves was to bring out two Marauding Captains, then I think she was called Flame Knight or something, the one who boosted their attack, and stall until I got Gilford out. Or get Gearford's (Think that was his name?) upgraded form out.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I always kept a BEWD in my Heart of Exodia deck (I actually invented that archetype! It was a good time) just for shits and giggles. I really enjoy coming up with decks to use the old monsters, I had a REBD burn deck that was all right (though not as good as my regular burn decks). My favorite decks are still the Heart of Exodia, Normal swarm and machines- but I imagine with all the synchro shit they'e put out there's no way Limiter is still at 2 or three per deck *checks* yep, restricted. Sad times indeed.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #55
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
I think she was called Flame Knight or something, the one who boosted their attack,
Command Knight, I ran that warrior deck for a while too.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #56
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
The rulebook was a lot smaller back in my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner89
Almost all tournaments just give out cards. What you do is you resell the cards you win for profit. On top of that, you can make ridiculous amounts of cash playing the market. Buy cards when they're low and resell them when they're high.

Yeah but I won shitty cards, just booster packs and stuff. The equipment was like deck boxes and binders, just... BLARGH
Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #57
phoopes
Double Dragon

That picture would be a lot more relevant if it were there.

Also, XYZ Monsters and Synchro Monsters sound confusing.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #58
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Just found the old Nurse. And some of my anti-meta stuff. Wynnda, Priestess of Gusta :3

>Also, XYZ Monsters and Synchro Monsters sound confusing.

Neither is complicated. Xyz is just stupid.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #59
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
That picture would be a lot more relevant if it were there.

Also, XYZ Monsters and Synchro Monsters sound confusing.
They are, but not more so than something like EVs or IVs in pokemon. It's just another aspect of the game meant to increase the number of potential strategies you can use.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #60
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
I always kept a BEWD in my Heart of Exodia deck (I actually invented that archetype! It was a good time) just for shits and giggles. I really enjoy coming up with decks to use the old monsters, I had a REBD burn deck that was all right (though not as good as my regular burn decks). My favorite decks are still the Heart of Exodia, Normal swarm and machines- but I imagine with all the synchro shit they'e put out there's no way Limiter is still at 2 or three per deck *checks* yep, restricted. Sad times indeed.
That reminds me, speaking of old decks.

2006, two of my friends and I go to a mall tournament. These three kids come up to us, want a two on two battle, winner keeps the opponents rarest cards. 2000 life points each.

My friend stupidly says "yes", and I sit down and we go this thing. My other friend just watched. See, he was running a dragon deck based around old school cards.

What comes next was nothing short of a miracle. I shit you not:

they play their monsters, and look really smug, then I go, then he. He shuffled well and everything.... plays Lord of D., Flute of Summoning Dragon, summons 2 Blue Eyes, pulls out another card (forget which), but it allowed him to summon a Blue Eyes from his deck to the field. In one move, 4 monsters, 3 Blue Eyes.

The two kids grabbed their cards and ran with their friend.

We reported them to a judge, and the judge went to track them down and gave us three free boosters each.

GOD IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME

Last edited by deoxys; 02-18-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #61
deoxys
Fog Badge

My understanding is that XYZ cards are just like Archdemons and Elemental Heroes and DD's.

I also understand Synchros as fusion monsters minus Polymerization, basically. Might be wrong.

Last edited by deoxys; 02-18-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #62
phoopes
Double Dragon

You know, I don't even know where to start in terms of building a deck. Things were a lot simpler before. It's probably just because I'm tired, though. I'm going to bed.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys
My understanding is that XYS cards are just like Archdemons and Elemental Heroes and DD's.

I also understand Synchros as fusion monsters minus Polymerization, basically. Might be wrong.
1. I quit playing before those came out. I think. I'm really fuzzy on what exactly was out when I was that young.
2. Oh, well that doesn't seem too complicated when you put it that way.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #63
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Just found the old Nurse. And some of my anti-meta stuff. Wynnda, Priestess of Gusta :3

>Also, XYZ Monsters and Synchro Monsters sound confusing.

Neither is complicated. Xyz is just stupid.
Winda just came out in HAO5 a few months ago if I recall correctly... Just how recently have you been playing? lol

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #64
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
My understanding is that XYS cards are just like Archdemons and Elemental Heroes and DD's.

Yes that's basically the stupidness of Xyz.

Synchros sub Poly for a Tuner and normally don't have required material (besides a Tuner).
Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #65
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:

Sort of, yah. Synchros are sending one tuner monster, and other monsters on your field to the graveyard to summon a synchro monster from your deck who's level equals the combined level of the monsters you sent to the grave yard.

XYZ is also like synchro and fusion, but instead of going to the graveyard, two monsters who have an equal level(say both are level 4) are placed on top of each other, and an xyz monster with the same rank(fancy new "level") is placed on top of them as a special summon

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #66
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

Synchros sub Poly for a Tuner and normally don't have required material (besides a Tuner).
Well, that explains our new friend's name. lol
Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #67
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Well, that explains our new friend's name. lol
Haha, didn't even realize that. I've been using this name since 1999 for every website ever forever, just cuz I thought it sounded cool. Then the site I wanted to use the name for said Tuner was taken, so I thought of a number that I figured sounded cool with Tuner, and I've used Tuner89 on every site ever forever since xD

Since then I've become an accomplished musician, so People think that's where my name comes from, and this is the first time I've realized it could work with Yugioh, too... Others assume I like cars or radios, but alas... it is just a random creation of a child's mind

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #68
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner89 View Post
Winda just came out in HAO5 a few months ago if I recall correctly... Just how recently have you been playing? lol
I haven't played a good year (and that was a few casual games and little tournies. Last comp. was further than that.) but I got cards from a friend on my birthday and Christmas (got Wynnda then). He's kept with the game and was trying to get me back into it.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #69
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
I haven't played a good year (and that was a few casual games and little tournies. Last comp. was further than that.) but I got cards from a friend on my birthday and Christmas (got Wynnda then). He's kept with the game and was trying to get me back into it.
Ah, well to be perfectly honest, now is not the time to get back in. I'd give it atleast a month if you wanted to get back into yugioh, atleast until the new pack comes out. If you played during the Gravekeeper/Six Samurai domination, which it sounds like you did, the format right now is like that, but 10x worse. It'll probably get better though, just like GK/SS did.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #70
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Ah, well to be perfectly honest, now is not the time to get back in. I'd give it atleast a month if you wanted to get back into yugioh, atleast until the new pack comes out. If you played during the Gravekeeper/Six Samurai domination, which it sounds like you did, the format right now is like that, but 10x worse. It'll probably get better though, just like GK/SS did.
I thought the Gravekeeper decks were like... sooo 2004?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #71
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
They made a comeback. And clusterfuck of one too.

>Tuner

Yep. I remember the Keepers/Samurai vividly. As well as the frustrations they caused. But I don't intend to get back in for a while, if at all. I'll probably try that site and see if I can get comfortable with the new rules.

Last edited by kusari; 02-18-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #72
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
indeed, but a little over a year ago, they came out with a new starter deck that contained broken new cards for the archetype. Add that to the fact that Necrovalley countered about half of the decks in the format at the time(most notably Plants) and they shot to tier 1 over night.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #73
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
They made a comeback. And clusterfuck of one too.

>Tuner

Yep. I remember the Keepers/Samurai vividly.
Hilariously, after over 6 months of Samurai and Gravekeepers being distinctly tier 2 decks, and the format being relatively balanced between dinorabbits, tengu plants, TG stun, darkworlds, and other decks, with Wind-Ups and Inzektors dominating now, Samurai and Gravekeepers are now the two most effective ANTI-meta decks... It's a hilarious twist of fate in my opinion. Samurai's wreck Inzektors, and Gravekeepers wreck Wind-Ups, but neither can efficiently counter both decks unfortunately.

Edit: with that, i'm heading to bed... Have a tournament tomorrow xD

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #74
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
indeed, but a little over a year ago, they came out with a new starter deck that contained broken new cards for the archetype. Add that to the fact that Necrovalley countered about half of the decks in the format at the time(most notably Plants) and they shot to tier 1 over night.
Gravekeeper decks were arguably Tier 1 back in 04 and 05, too, if you could play them well. One of my friends had a fairly decent gravekeeper deck, the monsters all worked really well together. Of course, Gravekeepers were the first "themed" cards... that started a horrible trend.

I didn't realize so many meta cards apparently took advantage of the graveyard more recently How predictable. Good for Necrovalley.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #75
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Hilariously, after over 6 months of Samurai and Gravekeepers being distinctly tier 2 decks, and the format being relatively balanced between dinorabbits, tengu plants, TG stun, darkworlds, and other decks, with Wind-Ups and Inzektors dominating now, Samurai and Gravekeepers are now the two most effective ANTI-meta decks... It's a hilarious twist of fate in my opinion. Samurai's wreck Inzektors, and Gravekeepers wreck Wind-Ups, but neither can efficiently counter both decks unfortunately.
The fucking shit is an Inzektor and a Wind-Up?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment