UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #3051
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just battled for the first time in ages. Six games. The first two were Unrated Traditional Single and I won both. The second four were Rated Single and I lost all four despite my current official ranking of only 100. I went in expecting easy wins and yet every single game was against a Doppelganger-level player who knew the rules backwards and forwards, kept playing super swiftly ... and never, as far as I could tell, illegally. (Well, except for one guy who auto-drew after using Reckless Greed. But he didn't fight the call and put at least some card from his hand back into his deck ...) Closest I ever got to a win was 0-2200. Brutal, man. Just brutal.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #3052
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I think the ratings were reset recently for new banlist or somesuch. Recall reading something like that on the news thingy on the login screen.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #3053
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Yep, every time they redo the ban list, they reset the ratings. Kinda wish they would do that for experience too, but oh well.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #3054
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Another game, another loss. -_-;

Concept was in and out spectating for this one and witnessed a spectacular misplay where I tried to activate a Tensen the same turn I set it. That flustered, and I guess that rusty too. Yeesh. Apologies to upcoming opponents in the tournament if I make similar blunders.

My opponent was polite enough to let me have that turn back, but it didn't change the outcome of the match -- while he almost decked himself out (he drew his final card the turn he won), my opponent still beat me with his dumb Dark World deck.

4-Axis Fire Fist having lost two copies of Wolfbark is very noticeable. While it's nice to have Tenki back up to three copies again, it really doesn't make up for the 2-for-1 advantage that Wolfbark creates when he's summoned. Where before I was able to get Tiger Kings or Cardinals out easily, now I'm pretty much stuck doing nothing but pecking away at opponents' life points with Bear and Gorilla. I can hang in there, sure, but it's no way to win a game. As has been proven by (now) five or six straight losses in a row. -_-;
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3055
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Soooooo ... apparently DN just decided to die. Good thing there weren't any tournament games ongoing at the time. ^_^;

I got in my first rated win since my hiatus. This "catapulted" me from 96 or 95 or whatever I would've been at on up to 116.

And then in my second game the server thought it would be cute to pair me off with a guy rated 919/4**. He was using some sort of Naturia deck that has cards that do things like:
  • deny the opponent the opportunity to play Spell cards by allowing the creature's controller to mill twice instead for every Spell card that's attempted
  • deny the opponent the opportunity to play Trap cards by allowing the creature's controller to banish from graveyard twice instead for every Trap card that's attempted
My opponent got the Spell one out on Turn 1. My hand was 60% traps so I wasn't too too panicked but feared the arrival of his Trap cousin. Well, his Trap cousin showed up on Turn fucking 2. -_-; So yeah. The game was over at that point. Fire Fist relies too heavily on S/Ts to do stuff and so his 2200 ATK and 2500 ATK Synchros were simply too much for my puny creatures. I think I lasted two more turns and then it was gg.

The DN server is back up now. Let's hope there are no further hiccups.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #3056
Emi

Naturia Beast and Barkion are really, really retarded cards. Granted, decks have moved towards monster effects and Landoise is crap but I still think the cards are really, really powerful.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #3057
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
At least that guy was running a Naturia deck though, which makes it a bit more bearable. The problem is other decks can abuse the Naturias way worse than Naturias can.

Barkion is easier to play around since while bigger than beast, it's harder to summon and Graveyard dependent. Normal summon something like Kycoo and it can't negate jack. But Beast is abso-fudgalutely retarded.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #3058
Emi

>normal summon kycoo

...I'm going to take this being before Barkion, which is true. But I'm pretty sure from what I saw, he was facing a psychic deck. Might be wrong, but Psychic can bring both of these out really easy. Hell, even Madolche can with E.Teleport support.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #3059
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know the finer points of your two's debate, but I can confirm that it was a Psychic deck as the guy kept summoning these various Psychic/Esper named cards. There was some Level 2 loli esper tuner, some Level 3 esper tuner, etc. Dunno if that makes a difference to what Doppel's saying about Kycoo, but yes, Blaze is right that the guy was running Psychic cards. *shrug*
Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #3060
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kycoo has a continuous effect that prevents the opponent from banishing cards from either Graveyard. It's in effect as soon as Kycoo is successfully summoned, it doesn't need to be activated. Barkion has to banish two cards to negate a Trap as a cost, if it can't pay the cost it can't activate the effect.

So once you summon Kycoo, Barkion cannot stop any trap you play. Just like if you have Macro Cosmos out, Beast can't fulfill the cost of sending cards from the top of the deck to the Grave, since those cards get immediately banished. Although Macro vs. Beast is a lot harder to pull off.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #3061
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I defeated a legit Naturia player but I sharked him a bit.

Guy has the Naturia field spell out and negates Allure with Dark Bribe. I acquiesce and stack the extra drawn MST on my deck, he insists I shuffle. Because of this, he forgets to draw for the Naturia field spell (I con'd him by immediately setting and passing turn, so he wouldn't notice).

We then exchange blows and I see him draw/set Warning after a Duality. I summoned Chaos Sorcerer earlier to harass him until I could draw into Junks, so I burned one of my Junks to revive an Effect Veiler, and make a BRD to nuke his field. He had 5 set monsters, 4 set S/Ts (one of which was Warning) and the Naturia field spell.

He surprises me by triggering Starlight Road in response to BRD, which is great since that means Warning misses timing. I chain Forbidden Lance and nuke his field, although he could have used a second Fiendish Chain to stop me (whereby I had Compulsory to counter that). With the clear field, I keep attacking him until I draw Doppelwarrior and then take over the game.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #3062
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You shouldn't cheat, even to try and generate psychological advantage. Generating psychological advantage is fine but not by cheating it isn't, not even if you plan to take back the cheating once called out on it.

In other news, it seems like there's quite a number of people that abandoned ship recently and sold their old accounts. While I've fought a number of players with ratings above 800 who seemed little better than myself, I just now fought a guy who not only had a rating above 1,000 but who had one of those Pharaoh Atem avatars that you can only get if you're the best of the best. The guy ran a Frogs deck which, while it did what Frogs do, didn't do anything more special than that -- and that made it roadkill going up against my Fire Fist deck, even with the Wolfbark neuter. The guy's main trick was to rely upon Gorz, but all I really had to do was apply gentle pressure between creatures (who killed the Gorz-summoning fodder) and traps (which dealt with the Gorz) before finally generating enough advantage to bring out an old friend to deal with the menace. Once that happened, it was essentially Game Over. The other player ragequit one turn later as I was in the middle of activating Gorilla's combat effect.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #3063
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why I hate this fucking game:

Last year, you all explained how when a card says "once per turn," it doesn't really mean once per turn: it means once per its controller's turn, i.e. every other turn in a two-person game. For a card to really mean "once per turn" i.e. once every turn of the game, it will make a special note about this. For example, Abyss Dweller's text which reads, "Once per turn, during either player's turn." The card makes a special note about it because YGO is dumb and doesn't do what it says it does. Fine. Whatever. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Today, I have this card used against me:

And my opponent attempts to use its ability during my turn on the game-winning turn. I'm swinging for lethal damage, I'm about to win, and he tries to use this face-up trap. I say he can't. He flips his shit and starts berating me. I explain the rule you guys explained. I explain how even when a card says "once per turn" it doesn't literally mean once per EVERY turn but rather just once per my opponent's turn.

"Read the fucking rules," he says.

So I do read the rules. Nothing to support his claim. If anything, I see a bunch of text there indicating stuff about how he can't use it during the damage step. But I don't intend to fight him on technicalities with the bullshit combat phase -- I intend to point out to him that the rules he claims are clear as day for me to read aren't even there.

He just sits there, speechless for a good minute. And as I am seconds away from calling in an admin for a friendly ruling judgment ...

"Here," he grunts. "Read."

And sure enough, this hidden-away Wikia page that wasn't even linked to on the rulings page ... it contains a link to an official Konami news letter in which the company extolls the virtues of Dark Smog as a power card that can be played on either player's turn. And everyone on the Wikia is like "This is basic knowledge. There's no way we're editing this into the Rulings page for the card."

The rules for a children's card game should not be this fucking convoluted. THE CARDS JUST SHOULD JUST ALL DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO. Quit hiding behind brochures of legal clauses and just straight up say you do what you actually do.

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #3064
Sneaze
Mrow?

HI MY NAME IS BLACK HORN OF HEAVEN AND FUCK YOU.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #3065
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah, a lot of the older cards before the PSCT were a clusterfudge of poor translation and misinformation. Although in general, anything that's Speed Spell 2 (Traps, Monster Quick Effects, Quickplay Spells) can be used during either player's turn. Ignition effects can only be used on the turn player's turn, including regular Spells, continuous Spells and field Spells.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #3066
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fought a player who was using a Yang Zing deck. Examples of cards that I saw included Bixi and Bian. The guy was generally pleasant and a good sport but, given his disappointment with the two games we played, appears to have been looking for an easy win. (The games were Advanced Unrated, my invitation, and he quickly snatched it up. After the first victory, he wasted no time in requesting a rematch.)

Suffice to say, the deck is demolished by certain cards, including one particular card I have in my deck. As I'm still in the tournament technically, I won't identify the card in question, but it utterly, utterly shut down the guy's deck. It was everything he could do to pray-draw into something that would help him to dismantle my lockdown such that he could resume actually playing the game.

Considering the expansion just came out in Japan (April 2014) and isn't even out in America yet (August 2014), I imagine that Konami will be pushing heavily to support the archetype, like they always do, and thus we can expect that the card I run (currently allowed in triplicate if you like) will be either limited to one copy per deck or else flat out banned. Not because it's the right thing to do -- the card gave me a healthy chance against an otherwise fearsome archetype -- but because it's the profitable thing to do if Konami doesn't want their Yang Zing baby to be dead on arrival.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #3067
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Yang Zing game I lost was mostly because the opponent flipped Skill Drain and that plussing Trap they had and I drew zero MST. Thus, I couldn't continue to pump Librarian and he actually managed to out advantage me by thinning his whole deck.

It's still horribly designed, but without Skill Drain it's just a reptile themed Gusto.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #3068
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
There was some Level 2 loli esper tuner,
Ah, that must be the one with the boots.

On a less in-joke related note, psychics are an interesting archetype since they for some reason revolve around sacrificing your own LP to pull off combos. A glass cannon archetype, to be sure. I tried using them once but I'm altogether terrible with them because I reallllllly don't like taking a knife to my own defenses.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #3069
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A card from 2007 kicked my ass just now. Went onto DN to see if anyone was on (just to see). No one was but I figured "Oh what the hey" and snuck in a quick rated game. I beat my opponent embarrassingly handily and wrote him off as a scrub. He asked for a rematch and I accepted the offer but almost felt bad doing so, thinking I was about to steal candy from a baby twice. Well, Game 2, he apparently manages to get good draws because he keeps forcing me to dismantle his combos lest he gain board advantage ...

... and then she comes out. Vennominaga, the Deity of Poisonous Snakes. And what does she say?
Quote:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned with "Rise of the Snake Deity" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways except by its own effect. This card gains 500 ATK for each Reptile-Type monster in your Graveyard. This card cannot be targeted by, and is unaffected by, Spell/Trap effects and other Effect Monsters' effects. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can banish 1 other Reptile-Type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: Place 1 Hyper-Venom Counter on it. When 3 Hyper-Venom Counters are on this card, you win the Duel.
I don't even care about the text that comes before or after the bit in orange. (And yes, I quite see the bit at the end there. ) It's the orange bit that is insane.
  • She doesn't care about traps, whether or not they target her. She's flat out immune to traps, period.
  • And ditto for Spellls.
  • And ditto for every Effect, Synchro Effect, and Xyz Effect monsters in the game.
Stardust Dragon. Number 11: Big Eye. Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King. She don't give a shit 'bout none o' dem.

According to my opponent, Debunk is one way to deal with her. Unfortunately, even though I main Debunk in my deck, and even though I drew both copies this game, I'd already used them up on earlier plays of his. He was doing stuff with that one sea anemone-like card that has a four-letter name beginning with Y and it brought back faint memories from 2013 about how once the two sea anemones get going they form a nigh-on impenetrable duo. So I used up my Debunks to neutralize that threat. (He launched it twice.) And there they went.

He also claims that Soul Release is a good counter, but that's so situational I don't think I'd make room for it even in my sideboard, let alone in my main deck. I have a Soul Drain, but that's obviously not going to be doing anyone any good.

Normally I get around cards like her with Tiger King (since Tiger King's effect allows him to muffle everyone else's effects so long as they're not Beast-Warriors). But I didn't even attempt to summon him, knowing my opponent would simply claim that Vennominaga's own effect text precedes Tiger King's effect and renders her immune to his own de-immunizing effect. Instead, I opted to Google for any evidence I could find of Vennominaga-Tiger King match-ups. Nothing.

Opponent was pleasant, friendly, and a good sport. Would be happy to play him again. But man if that card doesn't seem stupidly autowin. Hard to get out, maybe, but what a dire situation once it's out and his graveyard jam packed with creatures.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #3070
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kycoo again (and Necrovalley) would prevent the opponent from banishing to revive Vennominaga, although at a certain point her strength becomes too great to run her over in battle. It sounds to me like the guy you were facing was running Worms with Yangan and Xex, normal summoned Vennominion which you popped with Bear, and allowed the summon of Vennominaga.

It's frankly spectacular that such a guy managed to get that card out. It almost never happens because of how situational it is to get out Vennominion pre-Pendulum .
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #3071
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It's frankly spectacular that such a guy managed to get that card out.
Gee. Thanks. :P
Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #3072
Talon87
時の彼方へ

1. I hate Dark World decks.

2. I recently bumped up the number of Pots of Duality in my main deck from one to two.

3. I still main Debunk.

So then this happened and yeah -- the opponent quit in a mix of rage and fear on my very first turn. And all thanks to Pot of Duality revealing to him that I main Debunk. We'll never know whether he was a Dark World user or not, but given his avatar and his response to this play, I think it's not a bad guess.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #3073
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just won a duel against a Madolche user who by all accounts should have won. Two things worked against him, one his own fault and one Konami's fault.

First, some backstory. he gets to go first, and by the end of his second turn this is what the field looks like:
  • 2x Madolche Queen Tiaramisu
  • 1x M-X-Saber Invoker
  • 2x Madolche Ticket
  • 1x Madolche Chateau
And he has two other copies of Madolche Chateau confirmed to be in his hand because he tutored them out of the deck this very turn.

By all accounts, he should have won. This is a GOD OPENING for Madolches. To even get one Tiaramisu, one Ticket, and one Chateau out by Turn 2 is amazing. But to get two Tiaramisus, two Tickets, and (effectively) three Chateaus out!? Insanity.

So what happened?

Konami's Fault: That ridiculous Xyz, Evilswarm Exciton Knight. I caved in and decided to put him in my deck (even though he's ugly as sin) because he's the strongest card I've seen in the current game that allows a losing player to put a screeching halt to a winning player's march towards victory. As a quick reminder of what he does:
Quote:
Xyz materials: 2 Level 4 monsters

Once per chain, during your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase, if your opponent has more total cards in their hand and their side of the field than you do: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all other cards on the field, also your opponent takes no further damage this turn (this is a Quick Effect).
So yeah. This guy has the God Hand and the God Field and all it takes from me is a Tensu, two Level 4 summons, and this bugger. I nuke the field. The score is currently 8000 LP for him, only 1200 LP remaining for me.

His Fault: It's the very next turn, his turn, and literally all I have on my side of the field is Evilswarm Exciton Knight and one Xyz material card remaining attached to him. My opponent only has two or three cards in his hand. It's not going to be easy for him to win. Heart of the Caaaaaaaards ...

He draws a card which allows him to cheat out two of these guys:

Quote:
Spell Striker

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard. This card can attack your opponent directly. You take no battle damage from attacks involving this card.
But what does he do? Instead of attempting to attack me with them (for the win!) and forcing me to use up Exciton Knight's last Xyz material for one final nuke, he instead proceeds to summon three or four more Madolches to the field, converted into the form of two Xyz creatures, as well as converting the two little 600s into an Xyz of their own. Uhhhhhhhhhhh ... Then he attacks me. And then I fire my nuke. One of his Xyzs, as is typical of such cards, has an ability that allows it to shield one target creature from harm for that turn, so he uses it to shield it itself. Everything else of his dies, caught up in the wake of my second nuclear blast.

What he should've done was just held onto whatever cards he had in hand that allowed him to get Madolche Revolution Take 2 started up, swung with the pixies, forced me to waste my nuke, pass the turn to me, I draw, I go, I do maybe ~3800 damage or so, and then play passes back to him and then he Madolches up. But he didn't do that. And that's precisely why I'm saying that his own misplay cheated him out of his win no less than the cheesy Evilswarm Exciton Knight did.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #3074
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That sounds more like a bad Madolche player than one who was entitled to win. While it's true Excition Knight - and any mass spell/trap destruction in general - is one of the few ways to really screw over Madolche, the fact that he

As for pumping out XYZs, I feel you underestimated him Talon: he fears your deck enough to not risk putting out something small like Spell Striker and just sitting on it. Fire Fist can't explode like Madolche, but they roll with enough momentum that you can slap down a disruption field in one turn and seal the game off. This is a meta where something like Beelze, which has 3000/3000 stats and is immune to all forms of destruction, is extremely vulnerable because of Silent Honors. Understandable that he wouldn't want to sit on an attack mode pecker.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #3075
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Before Game:
Talon: Good luck!
Guy: no need any luck

During Game:
Guy is kind of a dick.

At End of Game:
Talon: gg
Talon: good luck next game
Guy: no need any luck
(Talon thinks "This again? Does he not appreciate the fact that Yu-Gi-Oh is by its nature luck-based?)
Talon: could use some grammar lessons though
Talon: ;p

Private Message After Game:
Guy: i'm american

In Summary:
1. Guy thinks that proving his citizenship means his English can't be insulted.
2. And/or Guy thinks that proving his citizenship means his English can't be bad.
3. Guy is fine being a smarmy twat the entire game, talking lots of shit, even telling me to die at one point ...
4. But someone insults his grammar and it's LOW BLOW BRO ;_; A BLOO HOO HOO I'MMA PM j00!

5. The Dueling Network community is weird.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment