UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles

Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #101
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shift View Post
Lil'twick – The Dewpider's seemingly perfectly-timed dance became very apparent to you as the fight progressed. Did this entire world literally march to the beat of its own drum? It seemed to track with the melodic theming that seemed to permeate every inch of the work that you had stepped into.

Either way, you had to have a game plan. Shaking your head, you continued to order your Shuppet to fight, hoping that luck was on your side during your planned Astonish-Ominous Wind combo. Staccato filled the role of moral support in the meantime, his helpful-but-naďve nature coming through loud and clear through the rattling of his arms. You couldn't help but lament how frequently he ended up not understanding the bigger picture, however.

Dewpider strikes first. It breathes a stream of bubbles at Lullaby, the weak barrage visibly slowing your Shuppet down a fair bit. He's also looking rather exhausted, the battle taking a toll on his physique, but his resolve didn't waver as he executed the first stage of your plan with a mighty yell. It's enough to startle your opponent, knocking it down... for good this time, apparently, as it doesn't appearing to be getting back up. Lullaby abstains from the Ominous Wind as he realizes that his work is done.

Lullaby has gained 2 levels!

With that out of the way, you look to the path ahead. It seems like Lullaby was headed in that direction before you took over, but you couldn't help but feel that whatever was down that way will be quite a bit more stronger than the Dewpider that you were facing. What will you do next?
Basil was a bit surprised, as the battle was over as soon as it began. Surely, it would've taken a bit longer to beat the Dewpider? Well, no matter, a win was a win, and he took it! Lullaby looked to be stronger too, so that was a nice extra bonus. Of course, the Shuppet needed to be reined in after what had happened. So, grabbing the Pokemon's ball, he returned the ghost to its rightful home.

Looking at the path ahead, Basil contemplated on what to do. Actually, what was he really supposed to do? He had this map marked with different locations, sure, but that didn't exactly tell him what he should be working on at this exact moment. Well, all he needed to do was head forwards.

"Staccato, you ready to go?" Basil asked his cactus, and he got a happy rattle in response.

"Through the woods, down the bend. We sing our pleasant song again. By the pond we splash and play, hoping the day won't fade. Till this merry tune is done, let us enjoy the summer sun!" he sang out a verse as they traveled down the road, beating his drum.

Staccato joined in the best he can, though he couldn't follow the beat in the slightest. Basil giggled at it, knowing that while the cactus was tone-deaf, he was trying his best. And that's why he loved the Pokemon so much, even so, they had been together through thick and thin. He was always trying his best, and it pushed the trainer to try and do his best too.

The two continued down the road, singing their merry tune. Soon, they would reach their first location designated on the map. Whatever awaited them, he was ready for whatever foe or challenge that would come his and Staccato's way. Well, and the rest of his team of course! A marching band was the sum of all of its parts, after all.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #102
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - The Dept. of Arts and Crafts is certainly the place one wants to go, if they wish to witness the very definition of the word “stunning”. Though it looks like a museum, the pieces on display never stray too far from the spirit of the library; knowledge can be encapsulated in painting and scripture just as much as it can in scripture.

Though the sights around her fuel all sorts of wild speculation for Maribel and her Poison-types, when it comes to actually decide on which strange journey they’ll have today, well... that’s why libraries have librarians, isn’t it?

Perhaps called by Maribel’s wishes for a recommendation, the next turn she makes brings the girl right to Elole. The Cinccino is occupying themselves by dusting off an archaic bronze statue of a Magikarp—a rather baffling piece of artwork, given how much loving detail was put into such an unremarkable Pokemon—and yet it’s preserved within Hyun-pa’s sanctum, all the same.

The Pokemon’s fluffy coat is flecked with paint, contrasting their cleanly nature with the messy reality that comes with creative endeavors. Bright yellows, magentas and greens—the colors of spring, adorn their shining white fur as a mark of pride, rather than tarnish.

Elole’s ears twitch as they hear the Trainer approaching, and they turn to Maribel with a sunny smile on their face. If Maribel is having trouble deciding which fiction through which to delve, she need only describe her ideal adventure to the archivist. Whatever her wish, chances are there’s something in here that will grant it...

What will she ask of them?

------

Marion Ette - “I shall put on a fresh pot at once, then,” the Lady replies, offering a graceful curtsey in kind. Even without much expression to read, Minerva can pick up on a sense of long-awaited delight in her voice—after all, there don’t seem to be many teatime partners to go around these parts.

Darning glides across the floor, and despite her workshop being littered with all sorts of fragile knick-knacks and scattered materials, she weaves her way around all of it without missing a single beat. Though it seems ruled by chaos, those with experience in such craft-driven hobbies may be able to study the room and realize that it’s arranged according to the most important order of them all: Convenience.

While her two guests discuss the semantics surrounding their visit, the Bug-type withdraws into a side chamber—quite literally sewn into the surrounding bark—and begins steeping the tea. The rustling of sticks and leaves draws Minerva toward the entrance just in time to see Darning gingerly ignite the inside of a clay fire pit, where the embers will be kept well away from the treehouse’s very flammable materials.

The more the Trainer looks around, the more alien she finds the Lady’s kitchen... assuming that’s what this space is supposed to be. Large sacs hang from the walls like baubles, each one engorged with stores of berries, nectar, herbs, and nuts. A mortar and pestle sits on a shelf alongside other roughly-hewn appliances, but their ergonomics are distinctly unfit for human hands; dried layers of silk around the “handles” seem to suggest that Leavanny relies on her secretions in order to grip such objects.

“Ah, yes... Mightyena and his friends do have a knack for creating trouble, I’m afraid...” Darning says, her back still turned toward her guests as she scrapes shavings of tree bark and leaves into the boiling water, “you needn’t worry, however. Even if they forced you into a scrap, I’m used to patching everyone up after the fact. Ah, but if only their roguish hearts were so easy to mend-”

After closing the lid, Darning turns around to face her guests, as a polite host should. The look in her eyes is one of understanding and reassurance, yet that only lasts for a moment before her gaze is pulled toward the scrap dangling from Oroitz’s beak—one of the only scraps left.

“Oh my. I suppose you weren’t exaggerating...” she remarks with noticeable shock. Leavanny approaches the crow hesitantly, staring almost in disbelief at the lifeless shred of cloth he displays like a sordid trophy.

“I see... Truth be told, this has happened a few times before,” Darning says as she reaches out to take this sliver of what once was and lay it out on the workbench. There’s a delicacy in both her movements and voice, suggesting that this news hits a little harder than she may have expected.

“I can’t fault you for what happened. I imagine you were frightened and confused by the way the Pokemon of these woods look, but please understand that I’ve tended to them for many years, and so they have become like my own children—even the bad seeds like Mightyena,” she explains as she looks over the scrap with a monocle made of a crystal shard.

“The spirit thread is fading, but there is a way to restore life to this one. I will need a second pair of hands to gather what I need, however... would you kindly help me?”
ShadowDRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:16 PM   #103
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDRGN View Post
Missingno. Master - The Dept. of Arts and Crafts is certainly the place one wants to go, if they wish to witness the very definition of the word “stunning”. Though it looks like a museum, the pieces on display never stray too far from the spirit of the library; knowledge can be encapsulated in painting and scripture just as much as it can in scripture.

Though the sights around her fuel all sorts of wild speculation for Maribel and her Poison-types, when it comes to actually decide on which strange journey they’ll have today, well... that’s why libraries have librarians, isn’t it?

Perhaps called by Maribel’s wishes for a recommendation, the next turn she makes brings the girl right to Elole. The Cinccino is occupying themselves by dusting off an archaic bronze statue of a Magikarp—a rather baffling piece of artwork, given how much loving detail was put into such an unremarkable Pokemon—and yet it’s preserved within Hyun-pa’s sanctum, all the same.

The Pokemon’s fluffy coat is flecked with paint, contrasting their cleanly nature with the messy reality that comes with creative endeavors. Bright yellows, magentas and greens—the colors of spring, adorn their shining white fur as a mark of pride, rather than tarnish.

Elole’s ears twitch as they hear the Trainer approaching, and they turn to Maribel with a sunny smile on their face. If Maribel is having trouble deciding which fiction through which to delve, she need only describe her ideal adventure to the archivist. Whatever her wish, chances are there’s something in here that will grant it...

What will she ask of them?
There was more than a little for Maribel, Ekans, and Koffing to take in as they explored the Department of Arts and Crafts. So much to see, so many possibilities... too many for Maribel to decide on just one by herself, she was certain. If she tried to go through every possibility and pick one out, she could very well be here all day long. And as much as she figured that might not be the worst way to spend the day, she did nevertheless want to get to the adventuring aspect of this visit, as, she was certain, did her Pokémon.

And so came the search for the Creative Archivist, but as it turned out, the search itself really didn't last that long. All it took was rounding one corner and there was the Cinccino in question. Elole was dusting off a bronze statue of a Magikarp, and Maribel took a moment to admire said statue. On the surface it seemed strange, of course- Magikarp were rather unremarkable. Remarkably so, ironically. But were they really? Maribel was no fool, she knew the deal with Magikarp, about how they evolve, and considering her mother owned a Gyarados herself, it wasn't hard to imagine Maribel hearing the stories growing up. Magikarp in and of themselves didn't look like much, but the sheer potential in them, the potential that comes bursting out upon evolution... Not to mention, Magikarp were incredibly hardy Pokémon as well- Maribel had heard that they were capable of living in any kind of water, no matter how dirty or polluted. And it was rumored that Magikarp living to an immense age could clear an entire mountain with just a single use of Splash. In many respects, a Pokémon not to be underestimated, and indeed, Maribel was brought up to never underestimate a Pokémon's capabilities, no matter how outwardly unimpressive it may appear. One should expect no less from the girl whose father was responsible for training up Hermione the Weedle.

But for right now, Elole had turned to look at Maribel, a smile on the Cinccino's face. Maribel smiled back, deciding instantly to not take out her Rotom Phone- she'd never seen a Cinccino in person before, but had no desire to offend Elole with whatever snarky comments Rotom would throw into Cinccino's Pokédex entry. Instead, she started thinking- Elole was clearly waiting for Maribel to describe just what sort of adventure she was after. She glanced at her pair of Poison-types, as though silently asking their opinions.

"Ekanssss!" Ekans hissed, assuming a battle stance for a moment.

"Koffing!" Koffing chimed in, spinning around in place.

Maribel chuckled. "Well, it seems like we're in agreement there, then," she said, before turning back to Elole. "...OK. Elole, right? So... I'm looking for something... something kinda challenging," she said. "I've been a Pokémon Trainer for a while now, and I'd love something that really puts me and my Pokémon to the test. Especially when it comes to battling," she added, her grin widening with excitement at the prospect of a good battle, the Key Stone set into her Mega Hat gleaming in the light. "...something like that," Maribel concluded. "Could I ask you to please recommend something for me?" she asked the Cinccino.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #104
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Lil'twick – With the Dewpider taken care of, you set out along the path that the map shows you, drumming up a ditty as you march deeper into the forest. Staccato tries his best to keep up, but his erratic rattling doesn't match your tempo at all. That doesn't faze you though; you just smile and keep going. If he's trying, you're trying too.

The rest of the walk is mostly uneventful, yet picturesque. It's evident that Aleatorica values its natural beauty a lot; the only manmade structure that you notice being the concrete that continues to guide you. In fact, you don't even run into anyone else; not until the tip of a lake—presumably Sinewave, if the map has anything to say about it—comes into view, where a jogger rests by the side of the trail. He's obviously well-traveled: his skin is covered in a light tan, tank-top and shorts slightly frayed, and the translucent flask that dangles from his backpack looks like it's been mostly emptied out. As soon as he sees you walk by, his eyes widen slightly and waves you down.

"Hey! You should turn around, something's causing trouble..." He pauses for a moment, noticing Staccato catching up to you. "Oh, you must be a Trainer! Listen, something's been up with the lake lately. I was walking by it the other day and this huge Seismitoad started attacking me. I haven't been able to go back since, which really bums me out. Do you think you can take care of it for me?"

He speaks without missing a beat, delivering priceless exposition unto your nearly directionless self. He then looks toward you expectantly, obviously waiting for an answer. How do you respond?
blu3shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #105
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily..

It had been a long time since Minerva felt like such a welcome guest in someone's home, and admittedly, it warmed her heart a bit to hear that bit of excitement in Lady Darning's voice. The woman's eyes flit about the room, noting her utilitarian organization and variety of tools and materials. Oroitz, by contrast, regards his host with steady focus, guarded and analytical. Out of the corners of the crow's eyes, he can see that the kitchen in which she prepares the tea is... quite unlike any he has seen before. Minerva, too, seems awed by the strange configuration of sacs and silk. Both guests felt quite displaced in this new, alien world, and yet, Minerva could not shake an eerie sense of familiarity, despite the strangeness of it all. Perhaps it was as simple as the presence of so much sewing paraphernalia...

At first, Leavanny's patience and understanding is great relief to Minerva; it seemed that the wolf pack's tendency to get into fights was well-known to the Weaving Wood's seamstress, and she was used to performing the necessary repairs on everyone after the fact. Minerva wonders darkly if the "scrapes" she references ever involved quite the level of devestation that her Honchkrow wrought - a question which is answered immediately when their host finally turns around and sees the gruesome trophy held in Oroitz's beak. Given the visible and significant shock in her face, well... Minerva was feeling significantly less relieved, in that moment.

After a short pause, Oroitz takes a few hops forward and relinquishes his trophy to the Leavanny. The action is performed with respect, though his expression betrays little remorse.

"Frightened, you say..." Oroitz responds, his tone polite, but insistent. "It was Bunnelby who struck me as the most frightened of all. For one so easily repaired, their fear seemed all too real, and all too powerful to ignore. As for my dear companion -" He turns to Minerva briefly before continuing, casting her a concerned look, "It would be remiss of me not to remind you both that humans are not so easily repaired by needle and thread."

"The same can be said of you, Oroitz -" Minerva adds, but this only causes the crow to harrumph indignantly.

"Where stitches do not suffice, a spray of a potion will... and I am quite resilient, you see."

Minerva resists the urge to roll her eyes, deciding to address the Leavanny instead. "My sincerest apologies, Lady Darning... As Oroitz said, even if he was not terrified for himself, he was very concerned that I might be damaged in a way that I could not recover from. Even so, it does not excuse the destruction we have caused... It is only right that we help you gather whatever you may need in order to repair Mightyena."

"Tell us what you need, and we will be about it," Oroitz adds. "I would like to think that, once repaired, Mightyena will hesitate to attack us again..."

"One can only hope," Minerva sighs.

Last edited by Marion Ette; 04-24-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #106
Lil'twick
Insanity

It'd be so boring, so tedious, right?

Quote:
Lil'twick – With the Dewpider taken care of, you set out along the path that the map shows you, drumming up a ditty as you march deeper into the forest. Staccato tries his best to keep up, but his erratic rattling doesn't match your tempo at all. That doesn't faze you though; you just smile and keep going. If he's trying, you're trying too.

The rest of the walk is mostly uneventful, yet picturesque. It's evident that Aleatorica values its natural beauty a lot; the only manmade structure that you notice being the concrete that continues to guide you. In fact, you don't even run into anyone else; not until the tip of a lake—presumably Sinewave, if the map has anything to say about it—comes into view, where a jogger rests by the side of the trail. He's obviously well-traveled: his skin is covered in a light tan, tank-top and shorts slightly frayed, and the translucent flask that dangles from his backpack looks like it's been mostly emptied out. As soon as he sees you walk by, his eyes widen slightly and waves you down.

"Hey! You should turn around, something's causing trouble..." He pauses for a moment, noticing Staccato catching up to you. "Oh, you must be a Trainer! Listen, something's been up with the lake lately. I was walking by it the other day and this huge Seismitoad started attacking me. I haven't been able to go back since, which really bums me out. Do you think you can take care of it for me?"

He speaks without missing a beat, delivering priceless exposition unto your nearly directionless self. He then looks toward you expectantly, obviously waiting for an answer. How do you respond?
Not soon after he finishes his merry jig, Basil ends up running into a jogger. The man certainly seemed to enjoy being in the sun, and that was more than fine. Everyone had different things they enjoyed in life! Who was he to judge, especially if the man was protective of the trails he often walked.

Listening to his little tale, the wayward bard pondered to himself. A ginormous toad, causing havoc and preventing people to enjoy the lake. Well, that would be nothing for him and Staccato! Seismatoad was a Water and Ground typed Pokemon. It was quadruple weak to grass, and the little cactus had more than a few tricks up his sleeves. So, yeah, he was more than ready to take on this challenge.

"Yeah! Staccato and I would be more than happy to help clog your frog problem! Well, toad, but still! While this little guy might not be the best in the terms of music, he's more than capable of decimating water types. His Storm Drain ability, along with the moves I've taught him, can make pretty easy work of that overgrown Anura for you~" The young trainer responded with a chipper tune, lavishing over his precious cactus.

"Now, if you could show me the way, that would definitely be appreciated!"

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #107
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - Upon hearing her request, Elole rests a paw on their chin, appearing to be at a loss for answers. This is the Arts and Crafts section, after all—challenge isn’t usually the kind of thing Trainers seek when they come here, and yet the Cinccino simply can’t turn away such an eager child.

Waving their tail as if to say come with me, Elole slips between the exhibits, searching for something suitable for the young, yet experienced Trainer. Art pieces of all types pass them by, each telling their own story, and harboring their own world to explore. Though Maribel cannot understand the paint-flecked archivist innately, it’s rather clear that she’s having more difficulty than usual picking something out.

They stop in front of a painting depicting an ancient arena, where those who did not fear Pokemon would demonstrate their prowess as Wielders. Too violent, Elole seems to think before swiftly moving on.

Next, they come upon a bookshelf labeled “References”, which is filled to the brim with rather straightforward titles such as “Pokenatomy” and “Landscaping for Acrylic”. Sliding their finger across the spines of these massive, picture-filled tomes, Elole pulls free a book labeled “Mountains of the World”, and leafs through it for something that may provide a physical challenge. Too risky... they seem to conclude, sliding the book back into place.

The Pokemon spends some time simply wandering the halls, considering and then ultimately rejecting the exhibits, for one reason for another. Just when it seems like the endeavor is fruitless, however, Maribel notices an odd shelf in the corner of her eye filled with plastic, rather than paperbacks. Taking a closer look, she finds rows of retro game cartridges resting against the wood, an aesthetic which clearly clashes against the museum-esque look of the archives.

It seems someone took a marker to the side of one cartridge, labeling it as “100% Complete?”, and a faded sticker on the front displays a human in armor facing down a monstrous-looking Tyranitar. Dragonite Quest IV, it seems to be called, with a tagline that seems to call out to the Trainer directly:

“Do you have the steel to stand against the forces of darkness?”

---
Marion Ette - “Ah. Yes, of course,” Lady Darning replies to Oroitz, her tone slightly abashed by his much-needed reminder toward both seamstresses. The irony of a bird being one to ground the two of them is not lost on her, drawing out a dry chuckle from the Bug-type as she tries to calm her nerves—at least until the tea is ready.

That Minerva accepts so readily comes as a relief to Leavanny. Her body visibly relaxes, as though the rust had just been removed from her machine-like exoskeleton. Seeing as the work she’s performing on Mightyena’s remnants looks delicate—surgical, even—soothing the tension in the room couldn’t come at a better time.

Wielding her arms like scissors, Darning carefully trims away at the edges of the cloth, letting loose from the whole any bits that are torn or dirty. At first glance, the terms “ragged” and “unsalvageable” may seem to describe the whole scrap, but thanks to the Lady’s diligence it slowly transforms into an octagonal patch, nearly indistinguishable from one made of new material.

“Then permit me to explain-” she begins, speaking to Minerva over her shoulder while in the midst of her work, “that which animates the Pokemon of these woods is known as a spirit thread. It is the product of a special tree, whose roots and leaves overflow with life energy. Here, observe-”

Leavanny picks up the largest clipping and turns toward her, handing it to her along with a magnifying lens. Using a small needle as a pointer, the Lady directs Minerva’s eyes toward the torn edge of the fabric. Upon peering through the glass, she notices that hiding between the layers of faux-fur are thin, almost wispy strands of turquoise thread. Even if she weren’t made aware of their magic, their bewitching nature is unmistakable—like worms poking through the dirt, the severed and frayed edges of each cord wriggle and writhe blindly.

Undoubtedly, Mightyena was alive—no, is alive, even if the truth of that technicality is quite literally hanging by a thread.

“In order to repair this one, I must sew this patch onto a new body, and splice its spirit thread with the new material. To make enough spirit thread to do that, I will need you to collect several things for me.”

“The thread must first be made from scratch, then infused with a special brew consisting of daffodil petals from the Meadow, falling water from the Waterfall, and stump mushrooms from the Grove,” she explains calmly and clearly, “I will also require a gemstone from the Mossy Cave in order to replace Mightyena’s missing eye. Bunnelby will be able to show you to each of these locations.”

“Ah, and lastly, the brew needs at least seven leaves from the Spirit Tree, but be warned—the leaves lose their potency at sunrise, so do not dally in this task,” she adds.

Turning back toward her workbench, Darning starts digging through her supplies for a jar of cotton, leaving Minerva to carry out her end of the procedure. Perhaps the sternness of her final words is warranted—after all, she needs to gather all the requested ingredients before dawn, and judging by the position of the moon outside, it’s already a little past midnight.

What will Minerva do?

Last edited by ShadowDRGN; 04-30-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #108
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - Upon hearing her request, Elole rests a paw on their chin, appearing to be at a loss for answers. This is the Arts and Crafts section, after all—challenge isn’t usually the kind of thing Trainers seek when they come here, and yet the Cinccino simply can’t turn away such an eager child.

Waving their tail as if to say come with me, Elole slips between the exhibits, searching for something suitable for the young, yet experienced Trainer. Art pieces of all types pass them by, each telling their own story, and harboring their own world to explore. Though Maribel cannot understand the paint-flecked archivist innately, it’s rather clear that she’s having more difficulty than usual picking something out.

They stop in front of a painting depicting an ancient arena, where those who did not fear Pokemon would demonstrate their prowess as Wielders. Too violent, Elole seems to think before swiftly moving on.

Next, they come upon a bookshelf labeled “References”, which is filled to the brim with rather straightforward titles such as “Pokenatomy” and “Landscaping for Acrylic”. Sliding their finger across the spines of these massive, picture-filled tomes, Elole pulls free a book labeled “Mountains of the World”, and leafs through it for something that may provide a physical challenge. Too risky... they seem to conclude, sliding the book back into place.

The Pokemon spends some time simply wandering the halls, considering and then ultimately rejecting the exhibits, for one reason for another. Just when it seems like the endeavor is fruitless, however, Maribel notices an odd shelf in the corner of her eye filled with plastic, rather than paperbacks. Taking a closer look, she finds rows of retro game cartridges resting against the wood, an aesthetic which clearly clashes against the museum-esque look of the archives.

It seems someone took a marker to the side of one cartridge, labeling it as “100% Complete?”, and a faded sticker on the front displays a human in armor facing down a monstrous-looking Tyranitar. Dragonite Quest IV, it seems to be called, with a tagline that seems to call out to the Trainer directly:

“Do you have the steel to stand against the forces of darkness?”
As Elole seemed to be contemplating the issue, it occurred to Maribel that perhaps she was asking a bit much of the Cinccino. This area didn't exactly seem all that conducive to big challenges, after all, but the fact that the Normal-type still seemed to be deep in consideration, Maribel wasn't convinced it was a hopeless pursuit. All the same, she, Ekans, and Koffing all waited patiently for whatever answer was to come.

Eventually, Elole gestured with her tail for Maribel to follow them, and the Trainer in turn gestured for her Poison-types to follow her. And follow they all did as Elole led the way between exhibits, giving the matter all due consideration, perhaps having more trouble than usual picking something out, if the young Trainer had to guess.

They first stopped in front of a painting that depicted an ancient arena. Maribel couldn't help but give a small smile, thinking back to the documentary on ancient Romma that allegedly depicted a retelling of her father's adventures in time travel. Or one such adventure, anyway- Keith Masters, after all, was no stranger to time travel. His daughter's presence in the present time constituting living proof of this, for that matter. Nevertheless, the painting had a certain appeal to it for Maribel- the idea was that those who did not fear Pokémon prove themselves in such an arena, and Maribel, it must be said, did not fear Pokémon. However, Elole seemed to think this wasn't a great idea, as they moved on.

Next was a bookshelf labled "References", full of pretty straightforward books, more geared towards teaching people to make art rather than outright display art. The Cinccino pulled out a book, "Mountains of the World". A physical challenge, then... Maribel had to consider this. She did like a challenge, but was something like a mountain perhaps too much too soon? She wouldn't mind working her way up to something like that- she remembered the family trip to Lavaridge Town where her father grew up, and she had been so awed to see her father scaling the Jagged Pass, an aptly named road going down the side of Mt. Chimney. Evidently he'd spent so much of his childhood climbing all over that thing that it had become second nature to him. Still, Maribel was pretty indecisive as to whether a whole-ass mountain was something she wanted to tackle... but ultimately, Elole didn't seem to deem it a good idea, and so the book was put back.

There was much more wandering. So many things considered but ultimately rejected. Koffing was starting to grow a bit impatient, but Ekans was able to keep his friend from acting rashly, and Maribel was starting to truly wonder whether she hadn't provided Elole with an impossible task. When then she spotted it- a shelf filled with plastic. Retro video game cartridges, she realized. They looked a little out of place, but were video games not a form of art in their own right? Burning with curiosity, Maribel wandered over and took a closer look. One of the cartridges in particular had "100% Complete?" written on the side in marker. And the label on the front depicted an armor-clad human facing down a monstrous-looking Tyranitar. The game's title, Dragonite Quest IV. But the tagline is what really caught Maribel's attention: "Do you have the steel to stand against the forces of darkness?"

Now, Maribel had never played this game before, but she had a healthy appreciation for video games all the same, old and new. This came off to her like something she'd want to start playing immediately, something she had a feeling was right up her alley. And then, remembering where she was, her eyes lit up- why just play the game when she could go one better? Ekans and Koffing looked at the cartridge- reading wasn't exactly their strongest suit, but the image of a human facing off such a monstrous Pokémon, they could get an idea as to what was appealing to their Trainer here. They then looked up at Maribel, then the Poison-types exchanged glances, neither saying a word, but both in immediate understanding that the search was over.

Sure enough, Maribel made to catch Elole's attention. "Excuse me, Elole?" Maribel said to the Cinccino, to grab their attention away from whatever their search had them currently considering. "I'll understand if this isn't exactly usual for this place, but... would this work?" she inquired, indicating the Dragonite Quest IV cartridge she held in her hand.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:04 PM   #109
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

No amount of explanation of the Spirit Thread could prepare one for the observation of its fascinating properties. Though the worm-like nature of the wiggling threads sustaining life to the cloth Mightyena might induce feelings of horror in others, Minerva observes this phenomenon unflinching, undaunted. The truth of living beings - the truth that so many preferred to ignore - was that living bodies were host to millions, billions of living, writhing organisms. The human microbiome was something Minerva had become intimately familiar with as part of the Nightwatch. Indeed, part of returning to humanity was not just restoring her own life, but that of the vibrant, microscopic world she had lost upon her death. Daily tests, nightly treatments... Minerva had always wondered if the doll-like existences she had inhabited before the Nightwatch's intervention had felt so lifeless for that very reason. In the throes of magic, blood rites, the denial of the very laws of nature - when would one ever stop and think of the little things? We are host to multitudes, and part of Minerva's rehabilitation was coming to terms with the baser, more visceral side of the humanity she had once lacked. Perhaps it was a truth that insects, in their wisdom, more readily accepted.

Oroitz, by contrast, winces visibly.

"Daffodil petals from the Meadow... Falling water from the Waterfall... Stump Mushrooms from the Grove... Gemstone from the Mossy cave... Seven Leaves from the Spirit Tree, before sunrise," Minerva repeats, committing the task to memory. "Oroitz, perhaps we should split up and -"

"Out of the question," Oroitz hisses. "I will not let you out of my sight until we are returned home."

Minerva could tell the bird was perturbed, but chooses to pick her battles wisely. She gives her beloved companion an acquiescent nod before turning to Bunnelby.

"It seems we have no time to waste... Will you please lead us to the first stop on our journey to repair Mightyena?"
Old 05-13-2022, 09:07 PM   #110
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
ShadowDRGN - Goto decides to give his attention to the demanding little Flabebe waving papers in his direction. For the most part, the other Pokémon nod in acknowledgement of his choice, dispersing to attend to their respective tasks; the exception, of course, is Gossifleur, who remains stubbornly at Goto's side. At first, she seems to want to share the stack of papers with Goto, reading alongside him - but the annoyed Flabebe squeaks something at her co-star, before literally throwing another, similar stack of papers at her. Fortunately, Gossifleur's ability to catch is fairly quick and graceful, and she sets to work flipping the pages back and forth, pretending to pay attention to what's written on them.

It doesn't take long for Goto to realize that he is reading a script, as he scans the introduction and First Act:

Shuffling through the rest of the script, it becomes abundantly clear that Trevenant Wiseoak never went back to Act 1, Scene 1 to complete the instructions in his note to self. This realization is further supported by Flabebe insistently and angrily pointing to this page of the script, growling with irritation.

A quick read of the rest of the script gives Goto a good idea of the movie's plot: Gossifleur and Flabebe play childhood friends who believe nothing can come between them. Enter THE SPECTER OF LOVE (played by Trevenant Wiseoak - as noted several times throughout the script), who both flowers fall in love with immediately. The Specter loves Gossifleur for her grace and beauty, but loves Flabebe for her cute mannerisms and quick wit. The two girls end up obscenely jealous of one another, which reaches a climax when the Specter has to go to the hospital for... reasons which the script does not make immediately clear. It ALSO does not clarify how a ghost could end up in the hospital in the first place, but... Well, moving on. Both girls visit the Specter with elaborate get-well bouquets and they ask him to pick which one he likes best. When the Specter admits that he likes both equally, the two girls are thrown into a violent rage and kill each other brutally with pruning shears. As the script says, (NOTE: It is symbolic - their lives are being cut short, as a blossom cut for a bouquet.) And, if the note weren't enough, both girls comment about the symbolism... In great detail... With their dying breaths.

Okay, so the script clearly has flaws... But the biggest of them, by far, is the fact that the scene the Pokémon crew seem to be setting up for and preparing to film... Well, it hasn't been written, and the characters being wed to one another are completely unidentified.

Flabebe waves a pen in Goto's direction, seeming to insist that he be the one to fix this problem. Gossifleur waves her hand to request a pen, as well, which Flabebe provides her with a reluctant eye roll. Given that she seems to be doodling flowers all over the page, there's a distinct sense that she will be of little help to Goto, despite her intentions to shadow him...

Flabebe taps her little foot, pointing at her wrist, as if to indicate she doesn't have all day.

How will Goto respond?
Were it not for Flabebe’s restless glares, Goto probably would have given the manuscript before him a thorough read. From his point of view, acting and tailoring are not as distant a skillset as they may seem; both rely on a combination of one’s own creativity, physical coordination, and the ability to parse the specifications set out for them. Be it a script or a concept sketch, its purpose remains the same: to guide others into making a figment of one’s imagination a reality.

Yet the deeper Goto delves into Wiseoak’s writings, the more he comes to realize that the lead character isn’t the only thing phantasmal about this production. Such large swaths of unfinished dialogue supporting scenes which exist only in headers and indexes, leaving little to guide these poor, lost flowers and their crew.

And what little he does find is certainly... interesting. The sophisticated man’s placating smile never droops, but his furrowed brow belies his complete, morbid fascination with the text. If the intent of this script is to amaze and bewilder, then he could class this as no less than a masterpiece. Every chunk of clunky symbolism and metaphor—spoken aloud in mad-libs dialogue with the grace and subtlety of a sludgehammer—would’ve made him burst out in laughter at its absurdity, had he no fear of offending the co-stars beside him.

“Fill yourself up, like a gas tank of desire, and finish on empty”... truly, the screenwriter reveals himself to be a master of seduction...

Perhaps a lesser man would be satisfied by now. Clearly, the director hasn’t the foggiest idea how to manage their own passion project, and the trainwreck that’s sure to follow is just the consequence of clumsily executing this not-even-rough draft of a script.

A tale as old as time, really, but standing here, under the sweltering lights, knowing the fate that lies in store for all that share this set with him... even if the contents of this book should be an ephemeral reality, Goto knows that there are questions he has yet to find the answers to, and indulgences that whisper into his ears.

Just what kind of ‘mon is this Mr. Wiseoak? If he were to rearrange the pieces of this scattered production, would he be able to leave this film’s legacy as something more than an amusing subject of autopsy? Just how did those beautiful costumes come to be, and lastly—between the two leading ladies, whose favor could he earn?

Not wishing to reach the end of Flabebe’s short rope, Goto returns to the page of the current scene. He glances at the fairy’s outstretched pen, but he declines it, instead preferring to take one of his own out from his pocket. The instrument whirls like a dervish between his fingers before tip connects to paper, and the tailor brings his best to mend the holes in this script:

Quote:
ACT 1

SCENE 1

We open on a close-up of a chrysanthemum from the wedding bouquet, lit brightly from above, to emphasize the shadows lurking in the background of the frame. Holding on this shot, we slowly zoom out amidst the backing of a slow waltz and distant chatter from the wedding.

Once the surrounding flowers have been revealed, the scene is disrupted by garden shears emerging from beneath the frame, wrapping their jaws around the center flower and cutting it away, and then moving to cut the one next to it. The movement is slow and calm, and yet unnerving all the same, like the shears are invading the shot.

We change angles to show a gardener (played by an extra) pruning one of the arrangements in the wedding hall. There are mingling groups scattered everywhere (we can keep the framing narrow to reduce the number of extras needed), each paying no mind to the flowers piling up at the gardener’s feet...

This is the wedding of CLEFAIRY and SNORUNT, friends of our two heroines. It is here that we’ll be introducing the major players in our tragic tale...
Through the process of writing, he keeps an eye trained on Gossifleur’s makeshift sketchbook. Though admittedly it’s still a first pass, he feels satisfied with this much, and hands it off to the Flowering Pokemon with a kindly smile on his face.

“Would it be possible to storyboard this for the camera crew? Words alone are hardly sufficient to capture the language of cinema, I’m afraid,” he requests, and as he puts his pen away, he reaches under his coat for two of his Pokeballs and looks toward the rest of the crew, “while that’s being worked on, would you like to meet your new castmates?”
Old 05-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #111
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

...but the beginning of a new measure

Lil'twick – The jogger grins at your offer, nodding along when you mention Staccato's ability. "Oh, really? Thanks a bunch! You sound like you know what you're doing." He points toward a gap in the trees decisively, almost like he'd been preparing for this moment for quite a while. "Should be down that way. If you don't think you're getting anywhere, just remember to stay off the beaten path."

Knowing where you have to go, you happily oblige, smiling back at the jogger. He reciprocates with a wave as you disappear into the forest with Staccato, who rattles an off-kilter beat in excitement. You know that fighting the Seismitoad will be a cinch, so the rest of the way there feels less like a journey and more like a leisurely stroll.

You eventually emerge at the shore of a lake: Sinewave Lake, if the map that you studied earlier was any indication. As your eyes circle the grassy banks of the lake's perimeter, you notice the terminus of the trail that you were following earlier to your left—one that seems to be guarded by the very Seismitoad that the jogger was talking about earlier.

What will you do next?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #112
Lil'twick
Insanity

Hello, how are you?

Quote:
Lil'twick – The jogger grins at your offer, nodding along when you mention Staccato's ability. "Oh, really? Thanks a bunch! You sound like you know what you're doing." He points toward a gap in the trees decisively, almost like he'd been preparing for this moment for quite a while. "Should be down that way. If you don't think you're getting anywhere, just remember to stay off the beaten path."

Knowing where you have to go, you happily oblige, smiling back at the jogger. He reciprocates with a wave as you disappear into the forest with Staccato, who rattles an off-kilter beat in excitement. You know that fighting the Seismitoad will be a cinch, so the rest of the way there feels less like a journey and more like a leisurely stroll.

You eventually emerge at the shore of a lake: Sinewave Lake, if the map that you studied earlier was any indication. As your eyes circle the grassy banks of the lake's perimeter, you notice the terminus of the trail that you were following earlier to your left—one that seems to be guarded by the very Seismitoad that the jogger was talking about earlier.

What will you do next?
With a nod, the young bard makes his way down the trail. He soon reaches the end, noticing a gigantic Seismitoad in the way. Well, that fit with what the jogger had told him earlier. Just, why was it here? Sure, he could try and beat it up, but that wasn't how he rolled. No, he rather see what was going on before he decided to go full out on the offensive. Taking in a deep breath, he heads up to the giant frog.

Patting a small beat on his drum, he looked up at the Pokemon. If it had been here for a few days, surely there was a reason. So, with a little music, he could try and lull it. Of course, if things went south, he had Staccato at the ready. The Maractus, at the moment, was too busy trying his best to follow the dream beat. Yet, if the frog tried to douse him, the Pokemon's Strom Drain was ready to redirect for his trainer.

"Hello! I heard you've been standing around, blocking the way! Is there something going on?" he kindly asks the Unovan toad, still beating his drum. If worst comes to worst, this would be another fight.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 05-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #113
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

ShadowDRGN - Goto is no stranger to bringing artistic visions to life, and though the medium may differ, the similarities between acting and tailoring are not lost on him. Attempting to review the script as he would a concept sketch for one of his designs, it doesn't take long for Goto to realize that there are significant holes in the plot, and what does exist requires him to maintain a straight face for fear of offending the little starlets with his honest reaction. Certainly, he's seen enough to understand why the movie about to be filmed would ultimately inspire the title of the book in his possession. Poor quality of writing aside, the fickleness of muses, and those who pursue them, is unfortunately quite common, and whatever fallout arose from the creator's lack of direction would undoubtedly be deserved... Yet, the work presented unanswered questions which would haunt Goto if he did not continue working with the movie's crew. The mysterious director... The beautiful costumes, paired with the awful sheet... The possibility of changing fate... The allure of the film's leading ladies. Failure or not, The Specter of Love's call would be answered.

With a whirl of the pen, Goto sets to work on filling the gap in Mr. Wiseoak's tale of tragedy and heartbreak, utilizing the chrysanthemum, a bit of clever lighting, and the eerie, deliberate interruption of garden shears cutting the flower away by an anonymous gardener pruning the wedding arrangements as a bit of ominous foreshadowing. The tailor casts his Clefairy and Snorunt as the wedded couple, whom he offers to introduce to the pair of flowers, while also suggesting that the introduction be storyboarded for the camera crew's benefit.

Gossifleur's eyes light up at the prospect of storyboarding, and, with pen in hand, she floats off to presumably grab some materials to set about this task. Flabebe, meanwhile, impatiently grabs Goto's writing from him, giving a satisfied nod after reviewing his work. Returning with a large piece of paper, Gossifleur begins drawing large boxes on the page, before looking up to Goto eagerly. She points a pen at the Pokéballs at Goto's waist - it seems she'll need to see her co-stars in order to draw them accurately. She then points at him, suggesting that she would like to include him in the storyboarding somehow...

Once again, Goto feels a sensation suspiciously like a tape measurer being held up against his arm - one, and then the other - in quick succession. This time, though Goto is not quick enough to see what mysterious entity is measuring him, Flabebe seems to notice the perpetrator and cry out, dropping the script at Gossifleur's side before floating towards the back of the stage at full speed, shouting something in Pokémon language. Gossifleur notices this, of course, but after a moment of consideration, looks to Goto and, once again, points at his Pokéballs, and then at him.

What will Goto do?
Old 06-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #114
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - It seems the game has caught the young Maribel’s eye, and so she returns to Elole with the cartridge in hand. It’s certainly an unorthodox choice for an unusual request—but then again, it would be rather dull if the Department of Arts and Crafts isn’t able to accommodate her desire for an 8-bit adventure.

As it just so happens, the Cinccino can currently be found browsing a section of children’s artbooks. Maribel calls out to them, and they turn around to greet the Trainer with a warm smile. She shows them the cartridge, and immediately their eyes light up as though to say ah! Why didn’t I think of that earlier!

The Normal-type shoots a finger up, telling the Trainer to wait here a moment, and they quickly scurry off to someplace unseen. They return carrying a plastic gray box above their head—a game console, and an old one, at that! Thankfully, it’s not much larger than those reference books Cinccino had been considering earlier, allowing it to snugly fit upon the pedestal nearby.

Of course, they had no TV to plug it into—or electricity to power it, either. Yet, Elole seems confident that this will work. A gentle puff removes the dust from the faded connector pins, and with a satisfying cha-chunk, the cartridge settles into its slot!

Directing the girl and her Pokemon to stand in front of the pedestal, they wait for her to get ready, for once she departs for the world inside this little box, there’s no telling where she will end up. Despite the obvious danger inherent in a fantasy world of sword and sorcery, Elole can tell that Maribel is a capable enough Trainer to handle it.

Their paw presses the button on the front of the console, and as though it were a light switch, a curtain of darkness falls upon Mairbel and her companions. Not just that, but the whole atmosphere changed in an instant, as the once dust-choked air now feels charged with static.

And then, something appears out of the void—blocky, white letters fade in before her very eyes, accompanied by a regal-sounding chiptune:

In times past, the land of ORIGA was protected by four brave warriors.
They were known as POKEMON WIELDERS, those blessed with the ability to tame and command fearsome beasts.
Together with their POKEMON, the heroes vanquished many wicked foes, and saved the world from sure destruction.
But now a new threat rises, and the heroes of old are nowhere to be found.
In lands to the north, the evil EMPEROR MAREDUS raises a dark army led by four DARK GENERALS, and encroaches upon the peaceful lands near CASTLE GARDNA.
The devastation is unimaginable, and though the people pray for the heroes’ return, their hope slowly fades as their calls remain unanswered.
In a small village, far from the destruction, a youth encounters a spirit in the depths of the forest, and discovers the role destiny has in store for them...

As the text crawl fades, the darkness around her flickers, and in the blink of an eye the scene changes once more. Maribel now finds herself standing in the middle of a spacious hall, underneath the glow of candle lit chandeliers. At her feet, she can feel a plush red carpet which spans from one set of massive doors to another, and above her is a painted ceiling so high that it practically touches the clouds!

The regal air is simply unmistakable: The Trainer has found herself transported inside a grand castle! All around her, people dressed in medieval clothes—or at least approximations of them—walk the halls, coming in and out of chambers. Servants clean the many treasures that hang from the walls, while guards watch one of the doors with burly-looking Pokemon like Machoke at their beck and call. Off in the distance, Maribel can even hear an orchestrated version of the tune she had just heard during the game’s intro.

Of course, her presence doesn’t go unnoticed, either. Such a strangely-dressed girl, and accompanied with such noxious-looking Pokemon, too! It’s only natural that a few noble-looking folks would scoff as they pass by.

What will Maribel do first?
Old 06-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #115
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

An interloper's vision

Lil'twick – You decide to take a less violent route to the conflict, approaching the Seismitoad with nothing but the taps of your drum, a Maractus who's so oh so desperately trying to keep up with you, and a single question: is there something going on?

The Seismitoad seems... impressed, focusing on you with a stunned expression and quickly diving back into the lake, leaving behind a single piece of paper. While you can't help but feel at least a little disappointed that you never got an answer, that one piece of paper turns out to be a lot more interesting than you might have thought—it's the first page of a musical score titled "The Second Muse". You can tell that it isn't the entire thing, but something about this feels just important enough for you to hold onto it.

You obtained a piece of the score! (1/?)

With that anticlimax out of the way, you check your map. It looks like there are a few more places that you can check out; where do you want to go next?
Spoiler: show
Old 06-12-2022, 12:09 AM   #116
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - It seems the game has caught the young Maribel’s eye, and so she returns to Elole with the cartridge in hand. It’s certainly an unorthodox choice for an unusual request—but then again, it would be rather dull if the Department of Arts and Crafts isn’t able to accommodate her desire for an 8-bit adventure.

As it just so happens, the Cinccino can currently be found browsing a section of children’s artbooks. Maribel calls out to them, and they turn around to greet the Trainer with a warm smile. She shows them the cartridge, and immediately their eyes light up as though to say ah! Why didn’t I think of that earlier!

The Normal-type shoots a finger up, telling the Trainer to wait here a moment, and they quickly scurry off to someplace unseen. They return carrying a plastic gray box above their head—a game console, and an old one, at that! Thankfully, it’s not much larger than those reference books Cinccino had been considering earlier, allowing it to snugly fit upon the pedestal nearby.

Of course, they had no TV to plug it into—or electricity to power it, either. Yet, Elole seems confident that this will work. A gentle puff removes the dust from the faded connector pins, and with a satisfying cha-chunk, the cartridge settles into its slot!

Directing the girl and her Pokemon to stand in front of the pedestal, they wait for her to get ready, for once she departs for the world inside this little box, there’s no telling where she will end up. Despite the obvious danger inherent in a fantasy world of sword and sorcery, Elole can tell that Maribel is a capable enough Trainer to handle it.

Their paw presses the button on the front of the console, and as though it were a light switch, a curtain of darkness falls upon Mairbel and her companions. Not just that, but the whole atmosphere changed in an instant, as the once dust-choked air now feels charged with static.

And then, something appears out of the void—blocky, white letters fade in before her very eyes, accompanied by a regal-sounding chiptune:

In times past, the land of ORIGA was protected by four brave warriors.
They were known as POKEMON WIELDERS, those blessed with the ability to tame and command fearsome beasts.
Together with their POKEMON, the heroes vanquished many wicked foes, and saved the world from sure destruction.
But now a new threat rises, and the heroes of old are nowhere to be found.
In lands to the north, the evil EMPEROR MAREDUS raises a dark army led by four DARK GENERALS, and encroaches upon the peaceful lands near CASTLE GARDNA.
The devastation is unimaginable, and though the people pray for the heroes’ return, their hope slowly fades as their calls remain unanswered.
In a small village, far from the destruction, a youth encounters a spirit in the depths of the forest, and discovers the role destiny has in store for them...

As the text crawl fades, the darkness around her flickers, and in the blink of an eye the scene changes once more. Maribel now finds herself standing in the middle of a spacious hall, underneath the glow of candle lit chandeliers. At her feet, she can feel a plush red carpet which spans from one set of massive doors to another, and above her is a painted ceiling so high that it practically touches the clouds!

The regal air is simply unmistakable: The Trainer has found herself transported inside a grand castle! All around her, people dressed in medieval clothes—or at least approximations of them—walk the halls, coming in and out of chambers. Servants clean the many treasures that hang from the walls, while guards watch one of the doors with burly-looking Pokemon like Machoke at their beck and call. Off in the distance, Maribel can even hear an orchestrated version of the tune she had just heard during the game’s intro.

Of course, her presence doesn’t go unnoticed, either. Such a strangely-dressed girl, and accompanied with such noxious-looking Pokemon, too! It’s only natural that a few noble-looking folks would scoff as they pass by.

What will Maribel do first?
For a moment, Maribel was worried that her idea might be turned down, might be deemed too out of the ordinary to work- there was such a thing, after all, as thinking too far outside the box. Nevertheless, however, it seemed as though these worries were for naught, as Elole's eyes lit up upon spotting the cartridge Maribel held, as though the Cinccino was wondering why they hadn't thought of such a thing earlier.

Indicating for Maribel to wait, the Cinccino scurried off. "Ooh, this is exciting, I think this might actually work!" Maribel smiled.

"Ekansss!" Ekans hissed, echoing his Trainer's happiness.

"Koffing, Koffing!" added Koffing, giving a few quick spins in place, as one might expect of old Pepperspray's daughter.

"Right- Ekans, Koffing, we're almost certainly going to be up against tough opponents and difficult situations in this," Maribel stated, though her excitement shone through even with the seriousness of her words. "I can count on the both of you to give your all in this?"

"Ekansss, Ekanssss!" Ekans hissed, nodding firmly.

"Koffing!" chimed in Koffing, likewise giving a resolute nod.

Maribel smiled. "Thank you both," she said, pulling the pair of Poison-types into a hug.

Not long after this, Elole returned, carrying an old game console. Conveniently, it wasn't much larger than some of the books the Cinccino had been considering earlier, and so it fit right on the nearby pedestal. Then came the practically mandatory blowing into the cartridge to clear out the dust, followed by setting the cartridge into the slot on the game console. With that, all was set, and Maribel, Ekans, and Koffing stood in front of the pedestal. Elole pressed the power button on the console, and the effect was instantaneous, as the world all around Maribel, Ekans, and Koffing went dark immediately.

"Whoa," Maribel whispered. Even the air around them felt different- far from the dusty atmosphere of the library they'd just been standing in, now the air felt charged with static. It vaguely reminded Maribel of the time her Rotom Phone entered the Poisonous Palace's electrical system so they could still have air conditioning and a functional refrigerator during a power outage that happened to coincide with the worst heat wave Sludge Wave Coast had ever seen.

And then, text appeared before Maribel's eyes- white, blocky lettering, the likes of which one might expect to see in, well, an old video game. Which, of course, made perfect sense in this situation. And the regal-sounding chiptune accompanying this text was no less fitting, either. Maribel read the text intently, for it was supplying her with vital information, the lore of the world of the game she was entering. She even began reading it aloud for the benefit of Ekans and Koffing, since, again, reading was not a strong suit for either of them.

Once the last bit of text had scrolled past, the darkness flickered, and suddenly, Maribel found herself in a spacious hall. "Whoa," she whispered again, taking in the sheer grandeur. The Poisonous Palace was huge, yeah, but this place put Maribel's home to shame!

"Ekansssss..." Ekans hissed in wonder, looking up at the impossibly high ceiling.

"Koffiiiing..." Koffing added, rotating a bit slower than usual as she took in the view all around.

It took but a few moments for the initial shock and surprise to pass, however, and Maribel knew it was time to spring into action of some fashion. Not that she knew exactly what to do first, of course. And it didn't exactly help that those who noticed her presence were scoffing at her. Then again, she reasoned, with everyone else dressed in what seemed to be medieval clothing, while Maribel was in her usual black outfit topped with her Mega Hat, she must have looked quite strange to them indeed. And then there was the matter of the Pokémon accompanying her- Ekans and Koffing, as species, didn't tend to impress others on sight. Sure, Maribel loved them, but with Keith Masters as her father, what would you expect?

Ekans turned to Maribel. "Ekanssss, Ekanssss?" he hissed inquisitively.

Maribel didn't understand Pokémon languages, but the general gist of the question had come across all the same. "I'm not sure what we do first, Ekans," she murmured. "Perhaps we should start by talking to some of these people, seeing what we can learn from them. If we're gonna be fighting against these evil forces, we'll have to find out all we can. I just hope," she added with a small sigh, "that someone here takes us seriously." Nevertheless, the young Trainer looked no less resolute as she adjusted the brim of her Mega Hat, a mannerism she'd picked up from her father over the years. "Come on, Ekans, Koffing," she stated, before beginning to walk around, and the pair of Poison-types followed right behind their Trainer.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #117
Lil'twick
Insanity

Litwick A foxtrot above my head

Quote:
Lil'twick – You decide to take a less violent route to the conflict, approaching the Seismitoad with nothing but the taps of your drum, a Maractus who's so oh so desperately trying to keep up with you, and a single question: is there something going on?

The Seismitoad seems... impressed, focusing on you with a stunned expression and quickly diving back into the lake, leaving behind a single piece of paper. While you can't help but feel at least a little disappointed that you never got an answer, that one piece of paper turns out to be a lot more interesting than you might have thought—it's the first page of a musical score titled "The Second Muse". You can tell that it isn't the entire thing, but something about this feels just important enough for you to hold onto it.

You obtained a piece of the score! (1/?)

With that anticlimax out of the way, you check your map. It looks like there are a few more places that you can check out; where do you want to go next?
Spoiler: show

Basil was puzzled at the Seismatoed's actions. He talked to the frog, and it clogged itself. Just gave him a piece of the puzzle and hopped away. Odd? Well, at least he no longer had to talk about frogs. Or was it a toad? A loaded toad was worse than an unloaded toad. Frogs and toads, toads and frogs, well all of this was just a massive slog!

Pulling out the map, he figured the best place to go after this was the forest. It was a close enough walk anyways and didn't require him to cut through town. At that point, he'd most likely use his little skip to push himself ahead. Right, Allegro was a good banana boy, who helped keep him growing big and strong!

So, tapping on his drums once more, he motioned for Stacatto to come along. It was time to sing a song as they made their way to the Silkstring Forest. From the name, he'd most likely have to deal with arachnids and other Bug-typed Pokemon. They would be squished, squashed, and washed from this world without remorse. Eight legs were two too much, and spiders as a whole must be eviscerated. No matter what, spiders were the true evil of the world. Let the other bugs be, sure, but the spiders must perish.

He bounced along, left and on a bongo, right hand tossing Tremolo's ball up and down. If a creepy crawly would approach him, the Stonjournor would CRUSH IT without remorse. Sure, his rocky boy was more powerful than the rest of his team, but that was the point. It was guaranteed protection from evil bugs. Good boys, like Larvesta and such, were perfectly fine! But no spiders. Never spiders. Tremolo would crush them. So, with his beat and bug killer, he prepared to enter the forest.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 06-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #118
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Marion Ette - Something about watching Minerva and Oroitz banter seems to touch the fair Lady’s heart, as even after administering such a grim task, she finds it in her to have a bit of laughter.

“I must say, you two certainly make an interesting pair. I would love to talk more over tea, but for now I’ll simply keep it warm until you return,” she remarks with a kindling warmth in her voice, adding a curtsey as she sees both of them out the door.

As Minerva leaves Darning’s abode, she finds Bunnelby sitting atop the railing outside. Rather than listening in on their conversation, they seem somewhat preoccupied with staring up into the sky—for hanging up above is a gibbous moon, whose azure gleam is blotched by the passing of dark clouds.

Consequently, the human’s return proves to be a bit of a startle—the moment they hear her voice, they let out a shrill scream as they rocket into the air, nearly colliding their stuffed noggin against a low-hanging branch. Thankfully, the critter she went to such extremes to save neither knocks themselves out, nor falls to their (presumed) demise before she can even ask for directions, let alone guidance.

“O-Oh! I didn’t expect you back so soon!” Bunnelby says, standing at attention as they listen to Minerva explain the situation. Of course, the news that they’re going to be repairing Mightyena is taken with a bit of trepidation, as the rabbit’s foot begins to thump anxiously against the balcony, perhaps uncontrollably.

“Well, I suppose if that’s what Lady Darning wants, then I’ll help you out...” they respond with a sigh, turning towards the rope that leads back down to the forest floor, “the meadow’s not too far from here, just follow me like you did before and we’ll be there in two shakes!”

---

The trek through the woods is rather uneventful—much to do, and little time for idle sightseeing. Dodging snagging roots and slippery moss, Bunnelby leads Minerva downhill from the Lady’s domain, until eventually they break through the treeline once more...

A large clearing stretches out before her, now. Wherever her eyes look, the rolling hills are awash in flowers, with only a handful of trees breaking the immaculate scene. Though the darkness saps at their hues, she can tell by the moonlight that their colors are both varied and vibrant, a fact only highlighted by the surreal palette that paints this world.

Yet, it seems her search for some daffodil will not be so easy as to just pluck it from the earth. When Minerva takes her first steps within the meadow, she notices that the flowers around her seem to recoil in her presence. Stems droop, petals wilt and become dull in color, rendering them useless for picking. As if to spite her further, the moment she gains some distance from them, they all seem to return to full health.

After some wandering through the withering lea, a pungent aroma hits Minerva’s nostrils from upwind. A heady mixture of floral and spiced scents, it reminds her of a strong mead, or perhaps a smidge too much riesling. Whatever it is, it’s the type of smell that isn’t easily shed.

Ah! Off in the distance, she spots another craftwork Pokemon sitting beneath a lone tree. Even from afar, she notices that the creature’s squat body is not like the others she’s encountered. It shimmers in the moonlight like glass, and in fact, the nearer she draws, the more she realizes that the creature itself seems to have been crafted from a perfume bottle. Oversized felt petals are clipped around the stem of the bottle, mottled with sewn-on spots of eclectic sizes.

It’s hard to tell, given its eyes are literally just glassy beads crudely glued onto the side of the bottle, but given its lack of reaction to Minerva’s approach, the smelly thing seems to be sleeping.

What will she do?

Last edited by ShadowDRGN; 06-16-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #119
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
ShadowDRGN - Goto is no stranger to bringing artistic visions to life, and though the medium may differ, the similarities between acting and tailoring are not lost on him. Attempting to review the script as he would a concept sketch for one of his designs, it doesn't take long for Goto to realize that there are significant holes in the plot, and what does exist requires him to maintain a straight face for fear of offending the little starlets with his honest reaction. Certainly, he's seen enough to understand why the movie about to be filmed would ultimately inspire the title of the book in his possession. Poor quality of writing aside, the fickleness of muses, and those who pursue them, is unfortunately quite common, and whatever fallout arose from the creator's lack of direction would undoubtedly be deserved... Yet, the work presented unanswered questions which would haunt Goto if he did not continue working with the movie's crew. The mysterious director... The beautiful costumes, paired with the awful sheet... The possibility of changing fate... The allure of the film's leading ladies. Failure or not, The Specter of Love's call would be answered.

With a whirl of the pen, Goto sets to work on filling the gap in Mr. Wiseoak's tale of tragedy and heartbreak, utilizing the chrysanthemum, a bit of clever lighting, and the eerie, deliberate interruption of garden shears cutting the flower away by an anonymous gardener pruning the wedding arrangements as a bit of ominous foreshadowing. The tailor casts his Clefairy and Snorunt as the wedded couple, whom he offers to introduce to the pair of flowers, while also suggesting that the introduction be storyboarded for the camera crew's benefit.

Gossifleur's eyes light up at the prospect of storyboarding, and, with pen in hand, she floats off to presumably grab some materials to set about this task. Flabebe, meanwhile, impatiently grabs Goto's writing from him, giving a satisfied nod after reviewing his work. Returning with a large piece of paper, Gossifleur begins drawing large boxes on the page, before looking up to Goto eagerly. She points a pen at the Pokéballs at Goto's waist - it seems she'll need to see her co-stars in order to draw them accurately. She then points at him, suggesting that she would like to include him in the storyboarding somehow...

Once again, Goto feels a sensation suspiciously like a tape measurer being held up against his arm - one, and then the other - in quick succession. This time, though Goto is not quick enough to see what mysterious entity is measuring him, Flabebe seems to notice the perpetrator and cry out, dropping the script at Gossifleur's side before floating towards the back of the stage at full speed, shouting something in Pokémon language. Gossifleur notices this, of course, but after a moment of consideration, looks to Goto and, once again, points at his Pokéballs, and then at him.

What will Goto do?
It comes as no surprise to Goto that Gossifleur would take to this task with such enthusiasm. Where others would simply write-off her disinterest as the result of a spoiled or indolent personality, he quickly recognizes the discrepancy between her passions and the role being expected of her on-set. It reminds him a bit of his own youth, and all the time he spent chasing his own creative goals, rather than milestones laid out for him by someone else.

Now isn’t the time to reminisce, however. There is still much to be done, and he certainly isn’t going to half-ass his time here by wading through memories. The glimmer of Gossifleur’s pen grabs his attention, and he glances at the holster beneath his suit—naturally, he had already offered to introduce his Pokemon, but he surmises by the expectant look in her eyes that he’s going to be making a guest appearance, as well.

“Oh? Do try and catch my good side, will you?” he jokes. The tailor has worked with models many times before, but this marks the first time he’s ever been the subject of another’s pen. Even so, he wouldn’t dare compare the two situations in earnest—models have to endure hours of long-held poses and scrutinizing stares, while he only needs to stand still for a few minutes, until a rough sketch of his likeness is captured on the page.

Still, he can’t help but feel curious as to the role that the flower has in mind for him. He’s still yet to find another human here, both on-set and in the script. Surely, these Pokemon had to have learned these skills from someone, anyone. Even if this entire production is the brainchild of Mr. Wiseoak, he refuses to believe that there isn’t a Trainer making these arrangements from behind the scenes...

Behind...?

Goto’s musings fall silent the moment he feels the presence return. Though he’s ready to catch this mystery measurement-taker in the act, it seems that the phantom is equally swift at avoiding his gaze—that is, if such a phantom even exists.

The tailor’s smirk twists into an uneasy frown. Is this merely a figment of his overly-cautious imagination? Some unsubtle reminder that he doesn’t have the luxury to forget about watching his back? He couldn’t know, until Flabebe’s shrill cry dispels his doubts.

He makes his move without flourish or hesitation. A pair of Goto’s Pokeballs go tumbling across the floor at the flick of his wrist, releasing Mercury and Hanten between him and the unseen assailant. Using the flashes of light as a smokescreen, he quickly ducks behind the stand for the wedding cake, shoulder braced against the cloth-covered leg. It looks like a stunt out of an action movie—a classic shot of the hero diving for cover—and yet Goto knows that such flimsy materials are only good for keeping him out of sight.

After a moment, Goto peeks out over the corner to try and spot the perpetrator. He may be expecting the worst, but it’s never been his style to shoot blind. Not until he knows what exactly is causing all this commotion among the cast.

“Mercury, Cosmic Power. Hanten, Double Team. Stay ready,” he commands quietly, but sternly. Mirroring the hardened composure of their Trainer, Clefairy and Hanten bolster their defenses, and turn to watch each-other’s backs as the situation unfolds.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:06 PM   #120
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
The Djinn's Archives
Lost Library of Goldenridge's Heartland

Department of Technical and Scientific Studies (reply in steelblue)

By all standards, discoveries of technology and the nature of science itself in the past few centuries would fill a library in their own right, and it is no surprise then that Hyun-pa took vested interest in what humans had created. This department, as expected, is more an extensive laboratory than a repository for knowledge, with sturdy and practical benches and tables with little cushioning surrounded by whitewashed bookshelves littered with tomes ranging from chemistry and physics to mechanical works and records of inventions over the years, and Ibra, Beheyeem patron and Engineered Archivist will treat all visitors as carefully as they treat their ward. Trainers who would like a technically based story would be welcome to utilise the books located here, though some have been advised as rumours tell that some of the tomes here are of future creations.
Elijah stood just beyond the door that separated the world outside from the seemingly infinite halls of the Djinn's Archives. Ornately carved pillars of wood towered high above him as they plowed into the ceiling several stories up, befitting of a library of this caliber. A lone woman sat at an equally wooden and embellished desk up ahead; the former head of a group called the Ribs, if the travel guide that Elijah had been reading was correct.

"k so y r we here again?" A message flew in from the bottom of Ion's screen. Elijah was savvy enough to mute the Rotom beforehand, forcing them into a text-only mode so that they wouldn't disrupt anyone who might have been browsing the library.

He responded with a few taps on the phone's virtual keyboard: "because I just wanted to check it out? I mean since I'm going to be staying here I might as well see what's out here."

"a library? srsly? idk bro its just books." Ion wasn't too happy about this, in addition to losing the ability to speak.

"did I mention that this library has a thing where you can, like, be inside them?"

"o_O

"im in lets see wat we can find"

With Ion appeased for now, Elijah turned his gaze away from his phone and looked at the directory on the wall. Different categories of books were cordoned off into their own respective departments, of course, but each one was labeled with an extra line, presumably detailing the types of experiences that each one held within. The world history and technical studies sections were rather straightforward, but a few held rather interesting promises: fiction offered unpredictability, the arts for those who wanted something more extreme, and the philosophy section... well, he wasn't going near that one any time soon.

There was a lot to choose from—way too much for Elijah to decide on just one. Shrugging, he lifted up Ion so that they could see the directory for themselves. Ion was quick to catch on, and practically begged to go to the tech section; "its just natural 4 me", they added.

So here Elijah was, browsing shelves full of patents and textbooks and concepts that were well beyond his understanding, with a healthy dose of science fiction every here and there. His eyes scrolled through titles, passing on each one—did any of these actually appeal to him? He shrugged and peeked down a gap in between the suspiciously pristine shelves to spot a Beheeyem tending to them, and then returned to browsing. Letting loose a sigh, he eventually picked a few random titles off of the shelves and brought them to the table. Some of them definitely didn't look like exploration material, but at least that was enough to nip his indecision in the bud.

The phone-bound Ion vibrated in his pocket. "find anythin good?", their screen read.

"I have no idea, but I'm about to find out," Elijah responded, silently hoping that he actually did find a diamond in the rough of the massive archive.

Last edited by blu3shift; 07-21-2022 at 10:27 PM. Reason: rewritten, some things are a little different this time
Old 06-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #121
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - There’s no shortage of people here, and so Maribel decides to try and gather as much information as she can. Sure, the stuffy noble-types don’t seem very inclined to help, but she can see plenty of other people passing through the hallway—knights, merchants, even a few peasants seem to be seeking an audience with the host of this grand abode.

Perhaps that’s a good place to start. Maribel asks some of the knights where she is, and one of them proudly bellows in a strange, almost wooden tone:

“Welcome to Castle Gardna! Seat of the High King!”

Naturally, one might want to know who the High King is. Maribel asks the farmer standing next to him, and she seems quite eager to explain:

“When the forces of darkness encroached upon our gates, we had no Heroes to protect us. The High King was transformed into a horrible monster, and the land fell to ruin. We thought it was going to be the end for us...”

A well-dressed courtier is next up, and as though he has some uncanny form of telepathy, his dialogue flawlessly picks up where the farmer left off:

“We were saved when a new Hero appeared! Oh, I’ve never seen a Pokemon Wielder as strong and courageous as him! He defeated the NecroKing, and once he was crowned as his successor, went on to conquer the armies of Emperor Meredus! As it turns out, the Dark Generals were what became of the missing Heroes of old...”

The Trainer wanders through the hall, collecting even more details about what’s happened so far. From the sounds of things, whatever quest this game is about has already been finished—the Emperor has been defeated, the Four Heroes found, and light has returned to the world. It’s even said that this Hero-turned-King possesses one each of all the Pokemon in the land.

Finally, Maribel’s roundabout path takes her before the doors she had seen earlier. Judging by the extravagant filigree that climbs up the wood like golden ivy, this must be the way to the audience chamber...

But before she can even think about going through, the guards cross their spears before the door. They both scowl at her, clearly distrustful of a stranger walking around a castle with Poison-types by her side.

“Halt! If you seek an audience with King DENNIS, then you must prove you are worthy to stand before him!”

“State your name, and if you are prepared to face us as opponents... then ready your Pokemon for a battle!”
Old 06-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #122
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - There’s no shortage of people here, and so Maribel decides to try and gather as much information as she can. Sure, the stuffy noble-types don’t seem very inclined to help, but she can see plenty of other people passing through the hallway—knights, merchants, even a few peasants seem to be seeking an audience with the host of this grand abode.

Perhaps that’s a good place to start. Maribel asks some of the knights where she is, and one of them proudly bellows in a strange, almost wooden tone:

“Welcome to Castle Gardna! Seat of the High King!”

Naturally, one might want to know who the High King is. Maribel asks the farmer standing next to him, and she seems quite eager to explain:

“When the forces of darkness encroached upon our gates, we had no Heroes to protect us. The High King was transformed into a horrible monster, and the land fell to ruin. We thought it was going to be the end for us...”

A well-dressed courtier is next up, and as though he has some uncanny form of telepathy, his dialogue flawlessly picks up where the farmer left off:

“We were saved when a new Hero appeared! Oh, I’ve never seen a Pokemon Wielder as strong and courageous as him! He defeated the NecroKing, and once he was crowned as his successor, went on to conquer the armies of Emperor Meredus! As it turns out, the Dark Generals were what became of the missing Heroes of old...”

The Trainer wanders through the hall, collecting even more details about what’s happened so far. From the sounds of things, whatever quest this game is about has already been finished—the Emperor has been defeated, the Four Heroes found, and light has returned to the world. It’s even said that this Hero-turned-King possesses one each of all the Pokemon in the land.

Finally, Maribel’s roundabout path takes her before the doors she had seen earlier. Judging by the extravagant filigree that climbs up the wood like golden ivy, this must be the way to the audience chamber...

But before she can even think about going through, the guards cross their spears before the door. They both scowl at her, clearly distrustful of a stranger walking around a castle with Poison-types by her side.

“Halt! If you seek an audience with King DENNIS, then you must prove you are worthy to stand before him!”

“State your name, and if you are prepared to face us as opponents... then ready your Pokemon for a battle!”
Maribel might have been a stranger to this video game, but she was no stranger to video games in general. And what does one do in a video game when at a loss as to what to do next? Talk to the NPCs! So that's what she did. One of the knights declared, in a loud, booming, yet somewhat wooden tone, that they were in Castle Gardna, Seat of the High King. An intriguing enough response for Maribel- while she was mildly surprised by the tone of the response, it was only momentarily- it was, quite literally, NPC dialogue in a retro video game. To expect anything too realistic in that regard, even in this representation of the world, well, even the powers of Mythical Pokémon had their limits, she supposed. Ultimately, she didn't let it bother her- she already saw a certain charm in retro video games as it was, why complain about something that kept that charm alive?

In any case, she was intrigued by the mention of this High King, and the farmer standing beside the knight was all too happy to explain. Or at least somewhat, anyway- he explained about the forces of darkness encroaching upon their gates, no Heroes to protect them, the High King turned into a horrible monster, all hope was lost... and then a well-dressed courtier picked up where the farmer left off, as though able to read minds and thus knowing where to start. He explained about a new Hero, a strong, courageous Pokémon Wielder, who defeated the NecroKing, became his successor, and conquered the armies of Emperor Meredus. From there, Maribel went around, gathering more and more details, and these details helped to piece together the general idea- the game's main story was already finished. Emperor defeated, the Four Heroes found, light restored to the world, even the Hero-turned-King was said to possess one of each Pokémon in this land. Maribel's mind flashed back to the writing on the cartridge- "100% Complete?". Yes, she thought to herself, that made sense- from the sounds of the NPC dialogue she'd been listening to, the game certainly seemed as though it was 100% completed... but was it really? That question mark lingered in her mind. Was that really all there was to the game? Was there not more? Maybe. Or maybe it really was all completed and done, with nothing left to strive for in this digital world, but either way, Maribel was gonna find out.

Soon, Maribel and her Pokémon approached the extravagant doors seen earlier. This, surely, was the way to the audience chamber, where she could perhaps meet with this High King. But it wasn't so simple as that- the door was guarded, and the guards guarding the door crossed their spears before it, scowling at Maribel in clear and obvious distrust of this complete stranger and her Poison Pokémon. Nothing Maribel wasn't used to- even in the real world, Poison-types were hardly possessing of the best of reputations. She always admired her father for striving to change public opinion of Poison as a type, for trying to showcase the best of the type. While she couldn't say with any honesty that that was her goal as well, she wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to show what her Ekans and Koffing could do! And sure enough, the guards told her that she had to prove her worth if she sought an audience with King Dennis. She gave a serious nod. "My name is Maribel," she responded firmly. "And we're prepared to battle! Ekans, Koffing!" she declared.

At this, Ekans slithered forward. "Ekanssss!" he hissed, sounding ready and raring to go.

Koffing, meanwhile, floated forward, giving a quick, excited spin as she did so. "Koffing!" she declared, excitement in her usual grin.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:08 PM   #123
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

ShadowDRGN - Gossifleur's true passion shines through in the elegant twirls and practiced, spirited leaps of her pen across paper, the sketch appearing more like a choreographed dance in her graceful hand. Her eyes gleam with inspiration, her formerly daydreamy expression replaced with determination. In sharp contrast to her previous blushing and giggling, she doesn't even so much as smile at Goto's little joke about capturing his good side; instead, she regards the tailor with complete concentration, her face as motionless as her pen is wild. Seems Goto's instincts were right about the little actress' heart being elsewhere - instincts which were likely drawn from his own childhood experiences.

At the return of the mysterious tape measurer, and Flabebe's sudden reaction, Goto springs from motionless model to man of action, releasing Mercury and Hanten without hesitation. Just as Goto assumes a defensive stance behind the wedding cake, the Clefairy and Snorunt are given orders to raise their defenses and evasion, respectively, with Cosmic Power and Double Team. The clothier was not one to attack without sufficient provocation, but he was also certainly not one to be caught unprepared. Mercury's twinkling, protective glow, coupled with Hanten's ninja-like speed and evasiveness, makes the trio's intentions clear; they would not simply ignore the unseen phenomenon stalking them. Attempting to catch sight of said phenomenon, Goto is unable to see the creature clearly from his vantage point, but he can see what appears like a small, translucent branch...

Gossifleur doesn't miss a beat, repositioning herself to get a better angle of Goto and his Pokémon. Undeterred by the motion and light, she fervently continues her task, while Goto catches the sound of Flabebe arguing behind the stage with a voice... The first voice in this place that Goto understands.

"My loveliest of blossoms, there's no need for you to strain your voice so with such terrible shouting! We are very much behind the deadline, and - ACK, there's really no need for me to waste time making introductions. Besides, it is excellent pra - OUCH - practice for creating intrigue, which you KNOW I - AH! Oh, fine, just let me get dressed and prepare a little something for - please, please don't tug on the kimono! It took me ages to - ow! Oh, fine, you can tug on the branch, just not the lea - ow - OW!"

The sound of the voice draws the attention of the entire Pokécrew, who immediately stop what they're doing and gather around to witness the dramatic entrance - which is more of a dramatically unceremonious dragging by Flabebe of one of the branches attached to the head of a small Phantump, who happens to be dressed in one of the most beautifully designed kimonos that Goto has ever seen. Rich, royal purple fabric embroidered meticulously with designs of acanthus and heliotrope, without a single stitch out of place. The kaku obi has been cut and embroidered to resemble ivy wrapping around the little ghost's waist, the fabric bearing the same sheen of foliage - the threads resembling veins. Despite the awe-inspiring garb, however, the little Phantump's sheepish, guilty expression is a bit less inspiring. Even so, all the Pokémon of the film's crew seem pleased at this Pokémon's appearance, despite the indignity of his entrance. The Phantump seems to be carrying a package of some sort, wrapped in the same fabric as his elegant kimono.

With a satisfied smirk, Flabebe lets go of the Phantump and makes a motion to Goto, speaking quickly in her native language to the ghostly grass type, who nods in understanding.

"Most sincere apologies, my mortal friend..." the Phantump begins, bowing deeply in Goto's direction. "My intent was to instill curiosity, not fear. Please, I mean you no harm." He pauses a moment, nodding to Flabebe. "My lovely co-star here tells me that you are the screenwriting assistant we sent for, and that your work thus far has been most impressive."

How will Goto and his team respond?
Old 06-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #124
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - The other denizens of the castle notice that a battle is brewing, and while most quickly vacate the hall to make space, some decide to watch from the sidelines—knights interested in evaluating the young girl’s skill, or peasants simply curious to see what a fight between Pokemon Wielders looks like in the flesh.

The guards turn to nod at each-other, and march to meet you in the middle of the hall with the perfectly-rigid movements of a clockwork soldier. Each raises their spear high above their heads, before slamming the blunt end down on the marbled floor to formally declare their intent to fight... hopefully with their Pokemon, not their own two hands.

“Very well! We will come at you—”

“—With everything we’ve got!”

As their weapons hit the ground, the Pokeballs slotted into their hafts like orbs burst open, filling the space in front of them with light! A Mr. Mime and a Machoke emerge to challenge her—an enduring combination of brains and brawn!

As the music in the other room reaches its conclusion, Maribel hears the conductor countdown to the start of the next tune. 3... 2... 1...

A flurry of strings and brass bellows out from the other room, changing the mood from one of regal calm to tense—if somewhat whimsical—conflict. A Battle Theme if you would, and like a music rallying cry, it spurs her opponents to act swiftly!

“Machoke, use Curse!”

The bodybuilder Pokemon obliges, breathing in deeply and muttering an arcane incantation under her breath! The Pokemon’s muscles swell considerably, trading agility for even more physical might and bulk!

“Mr. Mime! Light Screen!”

The Psychic-type pantomimes the act of wiping an invisible pane of glass in front of him, and through some beguiling power, a shimmering curtain of light descends upon himself and his ally!

It seems like they’re using the initiative to wall up, likely weary of what their mysterious opponent has up their sleeve. It’s not a massively exciting start, but even so, Maribel gets the sense that the guards responsible for overseeing the King’s castle will be anything but pushovers.

What are her orders?
Old 06-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #125
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - The other denizens of the castle notice that a battle is brewing, and while most quickly vacate the hall to make space, some decide to watch from the sidelines—knights interested in evaluating the young girl’s skill, or peasants simply curious to see what a fight between Pokemon Wielders looks like in the flesh.

The guards turn to nod at each-other, and march to meet you in the middle of the hall with the perfectly-rigid movements of a clockwork soldier. Each raises their spear high above their heads, before slamming the blunt end down on the marbled floor to formally declare their intent to fight... hopefully with their Pokemon, not their own two hands.

“Very well! We will come at you—”

“—With everything we’ve got!”

As their weapons hit the ground, the Pokeballs slotted into their hafts like orbs burst open, filling the space in front of them with light! A Mr. Mime and a Machoke emerge to challenge her—an enduring combination of brains and brawn!

As the music in the other room reaches its conclusion, Maribel hears the conductor countdown to the start of the next tune. 3... 2... 1...

A flurry of strings and brass bellows out from the other room, changing the mood from one of regal calm to tense—if somewhat whimsical—conflict. A Battle Theme if you would, and like a music rallying cry, it spurs her opponents to act swiftly!

“Machoke, use Curse!”

The bodybuilder Pokemon obliges, breathing in deeply and muttering an arcane incantation under her breath! The Pokemon’s muscles swell considerably, trading agility for even more physical might and bulk!

“Mr. Mime! Light Screen!”

The Psychic-type pantomimes the act of wiping an invisible pane of glass in front of him, and through some beguiling power, a shimmering curtain of light descends upon himself and his ally!

It seems like they’re using the initiative to wall up, likely weary of what their mysterious opponent has up their sleeve. It’s not a massively exciting start, but even so, Maribel gets the sense that the guards responsible for overseeing the King’s castle will be anything but pushovers.

What are her orders?
The guards marched forth, their movements rigid, until they were right there with Maribel in the middle of the hall. They banged their weapons on the floor, and in doing so, triggered the Poké Balls set into them- a truly cool effect, Maribel couldn't help but notice. From within the spheres, there emerged a pair of human-shaped Pokémon. Maribel recognized one of them immediately as a Mr. Mime. She knew the species good and well. Everyone in Sludge Wave Coast knew the species good and well. And even if this one wasn't going to be anything like Perform, Maribel still had no doubt it was a formidable adversary indeed.

The other one, Maribel recognized as a Machoke, not from anyone in town owning one, but she had seen the species before, and knew their general deal. Machoke were pure muscle. Raw physical power. Fighting, however, wasn't very effective on Poison, but no doubt Machoke had ways around this. Mr. Mime was more threatening, undoubtedly packing Psychic attacks, but being a Fairy-type, was outright weak to Poison.

Ekans gave a threatening hiss at the approach of these enemies, hoping to Intimidate both opposing Pokémon, while Koffing proceeded to Levitate in place, grinning widely, awaiting orders. If the pair of unevolved Poison-types were at all scared of their opponents, they hid it very well. If anything, they looked ready and eager to get moving! And Maribel was right there with them- she'd been very much into Pokémon battles since before she could throw a Poké Ball. It was very clear she'd inherited a love for battling from both her parents, and she grinned pretty widely herself as she adjusted the brim of her hat.

Between herself, her Pokémon, and the gathering crowd, all present were very much interested to see this Pokémon fight get underway. And Maribel was not about to disappoint on any front! "Alright, Ekans, use Breaking Swipe! Then go straight into a Wrap attack on Mr. Mime!" she commanded. "And Koffing, we'll use Curse as well, then use Zippy Zap on Machoke!" She knew, of course, Breaking Swipe wouldn't do anything to Mr. Mime, but Machoke was the one she was worried about in terms of physical offense in the first place- between that and Intimidate, Machoke was still going to end up with less attack power than it started with, even with a Curse under its power-save belt. But as weak an attack as it was, Mr. Mime was likely to not like that Wrap- their whole thing was miming things into existence, and it'd be pretty hard for one to do that with its limbs pinned to its sides! Meanwhile, Koffing was about to prove that Machoke wasn't the only one that could set up, while also delivering the perfect blow to get past the enemy's Curse.

Maribel grinned as her Pokémon sprang into action. She knew her opponents were surely no pushovers, but she was about to prove here and now, she was no pushover herself.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 07-11-2022 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fix.
Missingno. Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles