UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
satosere
Cascade Badge

Are these "names" too hippie?

Ok so I was on a name website earlier today and came across a list of, well... basically hippie girl's names. Like Pixie, Rainbow, Winter, Bluebell, Twilight, Snow, Star, Sky.... you know the rest. But what really caught my eye was Pixie. Is this name too hippie-sounding? What I mean is, well I can't picture an adult with this name.

It literally hurts to even try lol~
Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Star and Sky are legit. I've met people with these names.

The rest sound like bronies are starting to have children.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
As a general rule, try putting "Dr" before a name and think about whether it sounds at all serious. Works for most names.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The rest sound like bronies are starting to have children.
Lol yes

Yeah I don't like any of those names, it's just that it's so hard to find a perfect name(s) out there today! I like not common but not crazy. Like Violet, maybe. Anyone like that?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Shut up deoxys my son will be named Braeburn Shining Armour and there's nothing you can do to stop it okay????

Also honestly Star and Sky are just as bad as all the other names here.

Please do not name someone "Winter" in a culture where GOT is so popular.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My interpretation of hippie/New Age names was they were white people's attempts at imitating the translations of Native American names.

So say you got someone named Wind Eagle and Friend Bear, you combine it into "Wind Bear". That' pretty hippie.

Then, make sound ebonic by adding a "D" in front.

D'win Bear Shakur.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
My interpretation of hippie/New Age names was they were white people's attempts at imitating the translations of Native American names.

So say you got someone named Wind Eagle and Friend Bear, you combine it into "Wind Bear". That' pretty hippie.

Then, make sound ebonic by adding a "D" in front.

D'win Bear Shakur.

You jest but you're not wrong. The very definition of cultural appropriation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post

Also honestly Star and Sky are just as bad as all the other names here.

Disagreeing to some degree. At least on Sky. I actually think Sky is a nice name. I can see an argument against Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
Like Violet, maybe. Anyone like that?
Violet is a perfectly fine name. I was actually thinking about it the other day completely out of the blue as a possible name for a future daughter, were I to have one (though really I already settled on Saoirse quite a while ago)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I will, of course, forever maintain that Lyra is the one true name. Violet is, however, a pretty nice name.

Never heard Saoirse before. How would you even pronounce that? Is it French?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
satosere
Cascade Badge

Well let's just talk about this girl here who about a year ago wanted to name her "future children" after Pokémon games... Red, Blue, Silver, Gold, and.... I even thought that if I ended up having girl-boy twins, I'd name the boy X and the girl Y.

What the heck was wrong with me.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I formally submit the best hippie name ever as "Eggplant".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
I even thought that if I ended up having girl-boy twins, I'd name the boy X and the girl Y.
Could name them "Axe" and "Hwei" with errant spelling, and claim the names are Old English/Chinese.

Quote:
Not as bad as me.

After seeing Roots in 8th Grade, I was determined to one day adopt a poor black boy from Ethiopia and name him Tobias.

Because he would be made fun of endlessly with a fine English name like "Toby".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post

Never heard Saoirse before. How would you even pronounce that? Is it French?
Sair-sha, and it's Irish (though plenty of Americans will incorrectly tell you it's 'Seer-sha')

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere
Well let's just talk about this girl here who about a year ago wanted to name her "future children" after Pokémon games... Red, Blue, Silver, Gold, and....
Red is another legitimate name, though. That's... that's about it though..

Quote:
I even thought that if I ended up having girl-boy twins, I'd name the boy X and the girl Y.

What the heck, indeed... though I have no room to judge, as there was a time in the not-too-distant past where I honestly found myself fond of some lousy names I'm now too embarrassed to admit, for the most part...

Quote:
Not as bad as me.

After seeing Roots in 8th Grade, I was determined to one day adopt a poor black boy from Ethiopia and name him Tobias.

Because he would be made fun of endlessly with a fine English name like "Toby".

Last edited by deoxys; 04-05-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Name acceptability is pretty fluid over time and space. You mock naming a child Winter yet I presume you've no problem with Summer. Perhaps you'd mock naming a child January but no one seems to mind naming a girl April, May, or June. Peter (from Gr. petra "rock") has been used for millennia but Rocky has only gained acceptance in the last hundred years. You might mock someone for naming their son Heracles or Zeus but no one bats an eyelash at Apollo Creed, Apollo Justice, or in the real world Apolo Anton Ohno.

While names like Melody and River sound like flower power names, I've little to no problem with them. No, what I have a problem with are family names that are English words and mean negative things in English. I'm not talking a Hindi or Chinese name that tee hee hee means something bad, negative, or naughty when sounded out in English. I'm talking names that are straight up English words that mean bad things. Examples:
  • Petty
  • Loveless
  • Rape
Three examples off the top of my head. The last one you can make Old English etymology arguments for, but what's the defense for a name like Loveless!? I can't believe anyone in their right mind would choose that name for their family name.

Hippie names that mean harmless things will always trump "legit names" that represent awful things.

Last edited by Talon87; 04-05-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #14
satosere
Cascade Badge

Does anyone happen to think Sadie is anywhere close to decent?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You might mock someone for naming their son Heracles or Zeus but no one bats an eyelash at Apollo Creed, Apollo Justice, or in the real world Apolo Anton Ohno.
I'm pretty several eyes would be batted at "Apollo Justice", were it a real name.

Joking aside, Apollo is a nice name, and you're also correct in general. Naming methods are definitely a social construct and so we only perceive some names as 'weird' because we aren't used to them... though I'm probably not going to give the same funny look to someone named 'September' that I would to someone named 'Cornflake'.

I'll openly admit one of the shortlist of names I had considered in the past for a child was "Phoenix", but... not touching that one.

I imagine it's only a matter of time now before someone whips out the list of names banned in countries around the world.

Quote:
Does anyone happen to think Sadie is anywhere close to decent?
Sadie is a totally normal name, but I've always personally considered it more of a dog name than anything, for some reason (not to insult anyone named Sadie). Why do you ask, anyway?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I worked with a Sadie; the name is fine; but I too associate it as more of a dog name (specifically dogs, too, and not all pets).
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
This was literally my reaction to the scene in Roots where the guy in the thick Scottish accent goes "And his name shall be Toby".

I always associated Toby as a dog's name, so hearing a man in a funny accent say something as blatantly racist as blackface was surprising, and I got pretty embarrassed as I was the only one who laughed at the scene.

It became a mock-u-meme of mine.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
No, what I have a problem with are family names that are English words and mean negative things in English. I'm not talking a Hindi or Chinese name that tee hee hee means something bad, negative, or naughty when sounded out in English. I'm talking names that are straight up English words that mean bad things. Examples:
  • Petty
  • Loveless
  • Rape
Three examples off the top of my head. The last one you can make Old English etymology arguments for, but what's the defense for a name like Loveless!? I can't believe anyone in their right mind would choose that name for their family name.
I'm so incredibly confused
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tom Petty

Uh, I know someone with "Loveless" as a last name.

Richard "Dick" Rape would be a pretty unfortunate name, hahaha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Tom Petty
My google-fu tells me that 'Petty' as a surname has medieval origins and at one time was 'Petit', which I'm pretty sure is exactly what happened to a helluva lot of modern day surnames during the course of history.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #21
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I know a real life (albeit teenage) girl named Pixie. She's admitted it doesn't really sound like a real name.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Petit is still a thing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusmeiro_Petit
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #23
satosere
Cascade Badge

I never thought of Sadie as a dog or pet name. Don't know why. I just think it's pretty for all ages.

So maybe... Lily is a name to bring up? You could use my spelling- Lilli.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I'm so incredibly confused
What's hard to understand? Petty has no positive connotations. Loveless has no positive connotations. This isn't a case of Dikshit (Indian) or Grossweiner (German), this is a case of Wacko or Loser (other last names people have in English), names that have no footing whatsoever.

To be perfectly honest, I do also think that if you move to a foreign country and your name means something bad in that language then you should change it. (I.e. the Grossweiners and the Dikshits need to change their names if they're relocating permanently to America.) But I didn't even want to get engrossed in that debate, and settled for the easiest case -- names that are already English but still mean bad things and only bad things. But you go and say "Well Petty is technically sourced from Petit" and now I have to roll my sleeves up and make the case against retaining Old World clan names that mean awful things in the New World.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 AM   #25
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
What's hard to understand? Petty has no positive connotations. Loveless has no positive connotations. This isn't a case of Dikshit (Indian) or Grossweiner (German), this is a case of Wacko or Loser (other last names people have in English), names that have no footing whatsoever.

To be perfectly honest, I do also think that if you move to a foreign country and your name means something bad in that language then you should change it. (I.e. the Grossweiners and the Dikshits need to change their names if they're relocating permanently to America.) But I didn't even want to get engrossed in that debate, and settled for the easiest case -- names that are already English but still mean bad things and only bad things. But you go and say "Well Petty is technically sourced from Petit" and now I have to roll my sleeves up and make the case against retaining Old World clan names that mean awful things in the New World.
I'm confused because I've never heard of something as ridiculous as "Loveless" or "Loser" as names, though I refrained from delving deeper because you mentioned that they were off the top of your head, so I wasn't sure if you were being serious or just making it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc