UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #7276
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Doesn't surprise me. I mean, it is surprising, but since my attention has moved toward other businesses there seemed like obvious synergy there.

FUNimation is really kind of a relic, given CR is the dominant anime provider right now. CR has the international user base (while FUNi is strictly North America) and isn't boggled down by an obligation to dub. Even though CR has competition from the likes of Netflix, being international and spending as little as possible gives it lean profitability.

In an ideal world, FUNimation would love to acquire Crunchyroll to gain control over their streaming prowess, as they have the capital to do it. FUNimation will die sooner than later, while Crunchyroll will survive until the TPP comes around and kills what little respect anyone had for them. Because, CR doesn't care about enforcing protection of its IP, and the TPP will force it to or lose its licenses. And since the TPP is international, that makes CR's international presence more of a liability since their stuff is pirated in every language. This will add significant cost a lean company and I don't think CR can handle it.

Basically, this move does set up FUNimation acquiring CR in the future and killing off Horrible. Just another reason to hate the TPP.
Wowie. What is the TPP though exactly ha ha
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #7277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Wowie. What is the TPP though exactly ha ha
"The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a secretive, multinational trade agreement that threatens to extend restrictive intellectual property (IP) laws across the globe and rewrite international rules on its enforcement." - the preview Google provides when searching for TPP

Basically it's an international version of the SOPA and PIPA legislation that got shot down in America several years ago. Supporters tend to be people who have vested interests in lucrative copyrights.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #7278
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Who is ready for the "Emi Arrives Massively Late with Starbucks" show?

To Aru Majutsu no Index: Episodes 1/2

Alto suggested this to me today, although I know its been recommended to me before. I know basically nothing about this show (except I knew railgun girl existed????) so its going to be an interesting experience.

Spoiler: show
This was a decent episode. Not what I would call a real hook episode but something that kept my interest going into the next episode, since it does set up to ze plot at the end.

I like the protag, although he seems somewhat generic going into it. Fundamentally a nice guy, has a powerful latent ability that no one has exactly noticed until now for some reason, is probably a McHopeless. I'm curious to see where exactly he fits into this universe: magic cancelling is typically a pretty powerful ability (look at Medea in Fate / Stay Night), but it seems to be balanced on him because he's, well, shit. Not sure if his wanton bad luck is going to be a factor in his fights though. I hope it is, and not something that is just going to be used for a comedy factor.

Index is O K. She's very obviously moe and fits in the Akatsuki-archetype of characters, but I'm having issues really getting into her character because there isn't really much besides that. Maybe I'm expecting a little much from two episodes. *shrug* Jacob's Pen is interesting and I wonder exactly what it is. It seems to be some sort of autonomous program (although its said that its currently being written? very odd), and so far it seems to only activate when A) someone needs some kind of knowledge (aka MC on wtf to do with this wickaman bullshit) and B) when she's about dead. Wondering if the number 103,000 has any significance, or if its just random.

Railgun girl (god I have to memorize names again, fuck) is cute. I like her a bit and her ability is pretty cool. Not sure where she fits in.

Fire sorcerer guy is a loser who prints runes on printer paper. How dare you? Disrespectful. I wonder what his aim is in taking Index. He seems like he's trying to play the good guy role, but I don't really trust him just yet. Especially since his partner apparently has a habit of using brute force.

I'm liking this, although I'm probably not gonna binge on it just yet and let it mellow out a little.

Now, whose Starbucks did I get again?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #7279
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Index season 1 is great and unique. BBB has seen more than me, he might be able to discuss Railgun and the rest of Index in depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Supporters tend to be people who have vested interests in lucrative copyrights.
Also trolls.

The TPP gives third parties the ability to report infringement, and since it more or less forces the IP holder to enforce the copyright once the violation is known, it'll turn content providers against their own fans. Japan in particular is really worried since trolls can destroy the entire doujin industry under the TPP.

My dystopian vision of the future is one in which the internet is censored to the point that people can't discuss movies online because it will violate copyrights (by disclosing parts of the plot or characters). Thus, it becomes possible to re-release superhero origin stories for brand characters like Spider-Man every 10 years or so and people treat each new movie like it's A New Hope in 1997.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #7280
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The TPP gives third parties the ability to report infringement, and since it more or less forces the IP holder to enforce the copyright once the violation is known, it'll turn content providers against their own fans. Japan in particular is really worried since trolls can destroy the entire doujin industry under the TPP.
Well, we have to be careful what we mean when we say "the doujin industry." Doujinshi don't have to be parodies of copyrighted works' characters. In fact, they often aren't. Usually are, absolutely, but often times they feature original characters in original stories. Sometimes ones that prove so popular they keep returning for years and years.

Also, the single most important case of an IP that sees doujins every year -- Touhou -- is uniquely poised to escape any TPP-related predicaments. It's very, very easy for ZUN to establish that while he retains ownership of Touhou, he permits the fans to make doujinshi. If this were taken to court by any copyright troll trying to get ZUN to either crack down on the fans or else forfeit his rights, it'd be tossed out of the court so fast it'd make your head spin. The unique story of Touhou is simply too entrenched at this point -- it is far, far too easy for ZUN to prove to the courts that yes he's interested in retaining copyright but no he's 100% happy to let fans make fan comics all they like. If anything, a post-apocalyptic TPP world might see us having more Touhou doujins, not fewer, simply because law-abiding fans (content creators and consumers alike) migrate over to Touhou where they can draw and read to their heart's content without fear of legal repercussions.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #7281
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This girl must really like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

(Source)
Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #7282
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That thread is wrong about the Madoka car, though.

I've seen one for Aikatsu! in this very city!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #7283
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, I got spoiled for the supposed Re:Zero cliffhanger end. I don't supposed the buzz was ever going to die until season 2 happens if ever, anyway.

Related to that, Berserk is going on hiatus until 2017. It ended on a cliffer too. What is with this yyyyear.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #7284
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Orange Episode 11.

Suwa-bro. ;~;

This episode, on multiple occasions, gave me a right start that Suwa was going to commit suicide in this timeline. Glad to see it didn't happen. (Yet? That remains the question ...)

Naho was a little irritatingly clumsy with the "Your grandma will be fine! Stay with me!" talk. Like, I get where she's coming from courtesy of audience omniscience. But doesn't she see how her own words might sound to someone like Kakeru who doesn't know about the letters? Holy shit, Naho sounded callous and downright selfish bitchy with the whole "She'll be fine. Please stay with me" rhetoric. Unintentionally, of course! But man. Clumsy much?

On to Episode 12!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #7285
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finished Orange. (Episode 13.) Thoughts below.

A very good ending. I've got three minor grievances, but on the whole I'd say that this was as clean of a happy ending as you could possibly get, given this story's premise and the episodes that paved the way.

Suwa-bro is such a bro. I love him so much. As I told Kaisa, "What an amazingly good soul."

HAGITA FOR THE EPIC SAVE WITH THE BIKE VANDALISM! \o/ Everyone dismissed his proposal, but his idea was not only decent at the time but proved to be what probably saved Kakeru's life more than anything. Lot harder to get fatally hit by traffic when you're standing in the street and the truck sees you seconds in advance than it is when you're on a bike and you bike into oncoming traffic within a fraction of a second.

Thought it was kinda weird of the friends when they all burst into laughter at Hagita's #nohomo moment where he's hugging Kakeru in the hallway with his eyes shut and weeping. I mean, I get that it seemed funny -- yes, yes, we all get the "No homo! " aspect -- but like ... seriously, guys, do you not find it as touching and moving as I do? I was seriously touched by Hagita's reaction. 'Cause of all the friends, he always feels like the one who is most aloof and out of the loop. Probably just 'cause it's his personality. This scene reveals to us that the prospect of Kakeru's death greatly affected him, just about as much as it did anyone else save Naho and Suwa.

I didn't really think we needed resolution with the bitch, Ueno-senpai, but good on Naho for finally mustering the courage to put her in her place!

I almost cried myself when they showed in, Episode 12 I believe it was, Kakeru reading his mother's draft message and she both explains everything he ever questioned about her as well as the apologizing for being a nuisance. This sort of thing is my own personal worst nightmare. I can easily understand why it'd push him over the edge.

Alright, so I mentioned three possible criticisms ... let's get them out of the way:

First and second, I thought Kakeru took the news about the letters surprisingly well. The two things I worried he might be upset about (and perhaps he OUGHT to be upset about!) were ...
  1. That everything he experienced with Naho over the last nine months might be a lie, a convenience of a script set forth by a letter from the future.
  2. That his "friends" knew about his mother's death in advance ... and instead of telling him, did exactly the opposite of what the letters asked them to do. ALL SIX OF THEM. @_@
My third criticism is the science bit in Episode 12. I get that the author had to address it eventually. But a friend of mine would challenge, "Did she though? " Did she really have to try and explain it? When we were watching BokuMachi, he pointed to it as an example: stories that aren't science fiction but which use science fiction elements to tell their tales (e.g. time travel), they tend to do best when they don't bother trying to explain the science. So for example, BokuMachi works so well because it just asks you to accept that Satoru has a supernatural power allowing him to go back in time to save lives and that's final. You're not meant to get hung up on how his powers work. That's not important to the story Sanbe Kei wants to tell. Revival is just a macguffin to get the plot going. So ......... the same could have been said for the time traveled letters in this story. They're a macguffin of sorts. You need the time traveled letters in order to tell the story that Orange is, but the physics isn't the focus. So bringing it back into the focus in the eleventh hour ... and resorting to an explanation akin to ... well, as I told Kaisa on Skype:

Quote:
I always figured it was going to be revealed that Hagita had gone into theoretical physics and he had special access to a CERN device, or something.

But I guess "WE DUMPED A WATERPROOF PACKAGE IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN AND NICELY ASKED THE MAILMEN OF THE PAST TO FORWARD OUR LETTERS TO OUR PAST SELVES!" will have to do. :p
All three of these criticisms are fairly minor. I can buy that a Kakeru out there would take the news about the letters as well as our Kakeru did. And I can roll with the Atlantic Ocean black hole. (It's not the worst answer she could have provided. :'))

Very emotional story. Naho, both in how she's animated and how she's voiced, melts my heart so often when she's happy and breaks my heart so often when she's sad. Kakeru is someone that most people watching the show know in real life, whether because they've been a Naho or Suwa who lost a Kakeru or because they were a Kakeru who then didn't successfully commit suicide in the end for one reason or another.

I have no complaints with the happy ending. Doesn't always have to be tragic.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #7286
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

BORKED

!!!!!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #7287
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Chi's Sweet Home!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #7288
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Fun fact: until about 2012 or so I thought every reference to Chi's Sweet Home referred to a Chobits spinoff I hadn't actually read. Someone then posted the cat and I kept getting it confused with that one cat in the cardboard box who sings about a shining star/being adopted and dies. It took a long time to clarify things.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #7289
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It seems Harmonia has released, and like Visual Arts promised, it's out in English before it's out in Japanese. I intend on buying it when I get a chance. It's just a shame it's probably just going to be a very short read.

Finished most of my shows this season.

Amaama to Inazuma
In the first couple of episodes, this seemed like it would be a really heartwarming and entertaining show. The characters seemed like they had interesting personalities. Kotori was really strange, and I figured trying to figure out the reasons for her weird expressions and actions would be fun. I also liked how Tsumugi and her father acted towards each other. Sadly not much came from Kotori's weird behavior. The interactions between Tsumugi and her father grew stale after a couple of episodes as well. So by episode 4, I was sick of the show. I grew tired of watching the same damn episode over and over and over again until the damn thing finally ended. Episode 12 brought something I was looking forward to, but sadly even that didn't do much. What happened to character development? I would like to think we have some actual progress in the manga, but I don't care enough to look. Watching this show each week became a chore. This gets a 4.

Handa-kun
Kind of disappointing how little this has to do with Barakamon. We get a reference in one episode, but that's it. Actually I don't think I could watch Barakamon and take Handa seriously after this. Despite that, I enjoyed the hell out of this show. It's just so dumb, but in a good way. It stays wacky and over-the-top, where Sakamoto tried to be serious at times. It does have a fair amount of dull moments though, so it's not a scream from start to finish. Handa-kun gets an 8.

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
Your run-of-the-mill SoL about a girl in love with a dude. It has its fun moments, but that's because one girl is fucked in the head. I giveth thee a 6.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!!
This was a chore to watch. Forced "FRIENDSHIP" drama and irritating Illya tsukkomi. The best thing about this show is that we finally get something that I was waiting for since the beginning of the first season, and that is (end of show spoilers)
Shirou finally joining the scene and fighting. We also get Ms. Worms.
I'm a bit more enthusiastic about the next season, but I don't expect much. This gets a 5.

Rewrite
What a trainwreck. I'm not going to waste time trying to be positive. It's irritating how people got spoiled on the best parts of Rewrite on this mess, because apparently VNs have cooties. The story was a sloppy mishmash of what happened in the VN, and the animation was just as bad. A badly placed pause can net you some pretty bad warped faces. This gets a 4.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #7290
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've just discovered that Naruto Shippuuden is still airing. Even though the manga ended in 2014. Even though the anime had already reached the final arc of the manga at that same time. Jesus Christ, guys ... padding, much?

"To be fair," the episode titles of the latest episodes indicate that the anime is either wrapped up or else very, very close to wrapping up. But still. Jesus. Two years. It took them two years to wrap up the final story arc of the manga. Literally over 100 episodes. For comparison, even Hunter x Hunter 2011, in all its entirety, is only 148 episodes long. Even its Chimera Ant arc, much maligned by some for how long it dragged on, was only
episodes long. Naruto Shippuuden took its source material's final arc ... and dragged it out by
twice
that amount of episodes. Christ.

Edited post so that if deo's reading his suspense for the HxH arc isn't affected in any way.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #7291
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm not surprised. The graduation of Naruto and Bleach, long-feared to spell the end for Weekly Shounen Jump, have indeed done massive damage to the magazine's circulation. Jump was fortunate to, after many years, finally find something decent to stick in Boku no Hero Academia and Nanatsu no Taizai but neither are heavyweights compared to what Bleach and Naruto pulled.

Kochikame ended fairly recently too - while Kochikame was poor at selling tankos, it did boost the magazine circulation quite some.

I can absolutely understand Pierrot trying to keep that cash cow on life support. Cause there aren't any golden geese to take up the slack in the foreseeable future.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #7292
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I started some new shows. I hope you're excited, because I'm sure as fuck not!

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
First episode was interesting enough, but I'm afraid this will just turn into a Madoka type thing. Here's to hoping the show won't turn into mindless slaughter.

Mahoutsukai no Yome
I'm not really sure what the deal with this show is. I watched the first episode a couple of weeks ago, but I'm guessing this is a fall show? Anyway, not much really happened. The atmosphere is really pretty and imaginative, but that's really it.

Tiger Mask W
So remember how I was looking forward to this? Yeah, I regret that. This show was D-U-M-B! Apparently in Tiger Mask world, wrestlers can go around killing whoever the hell they want without any kind of repercussion. Yeah I'm not going to go any further into this nonsense.

More Working!
I couldn't stand watching very far into this. It's just a dull shadow of the previous Working. Everything was so....forced.

Well this season has been great so far! Vampire looked stupid, so I didn't touch it. There was another damn Strike Witches show I didn't touch. Two fujoshi shows. I guess I can spend the time that I will spend not watching anime doing something else! Like uhhhh....Sonic porn! Gotta go fast!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #7293
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Like uhhhh....Sonic porn! Gotta go fast!
http://sonicxxx.ytmnd.com/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #7294
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm just taking this time to read and catch up on other things. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but: isn't Natsume Yuujinchou Season 5 airing this season? That one might not be big news for you, but I can think of at least one person who's going to be stoked to tune in weekly this fall.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #7295
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'm just taking this time to read and catch up on other things. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but: isn't Natsume Yuujinchou Season 5 airing this season? That one might not be big news for you, but I can think of at least one person who's going to be stoked to tune in weekly this fall.
First ep airs tomorrow ayyy

lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #7296
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just want to remind everyone, because I know you forgot.

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 AM   #7297
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Just want to remind everyone, because I know you forgot.

Cute.

Reminds me of Planetes. Yuri and the compass.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #7298
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Haven't done this in a while so some quick reviews:

Amaama to Inazuma

I disagree that this got stale, and everytime I thought the sugar-sweet adorableness would get oversaturated I'd watch another ep and wonder why I even stopped watching in the first place. It remained heartwarming and entertaining to the very end IMO, even if the ending was a bit unfulfilling.

Handa-kun

By contrast, this was the toughest series to get through. It just became so awkwardly painful to watch after the first few eps due to secondhand embarrassment on Handa's behalf. At least it was nice to see he finally let down his walls in the end. Seriously, screw Kawafuji though for letting his "friend" suffer for so long. >.>

Rewrite

I haven't mentioned much of this but I've been following it as well. It was a good offset for when I needed a more drama/action-heavy story, especially once the plot picked up. I can see where the adaptation was a mess, but there were some nice emotional moments and I became mildly invested in the characters by the conclusion, so the downer ending was kind of a bummer. At least it looks like there'll be a second season, so I'll probably pick that up just to see where it goes.

Kimi no Na Wa

This was Makoto Shinkai's best work to date IMO. While the story is kinda cliché/typical of Shinkai works (star-crossed lovers separated by some force of fate) and there are plenty of plotholes, it was enjoyable and tugged the heartstrings in the right places. (Even though I saw the "twist" coming a mile away.) The first third was particularly humorous for its body-swapping antics, which is rare in his films (and gave me hope that it might turn out to not be romance, but alas). The music is also great, been listening to the OST on repeat even before I saw the movie. RADWIMPS ftw.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #7299
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did you watch that low-quality cam rip of Kimi no Na Wa? I'm waiting for an HD torrent target to test out my tethering capabilities. That would be as good as any.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #7300
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Did you watch that low-quality cam rip of Kimi no Na Wa? I'm waiting for an HD torrent target to test out my tethering capabilities. That would be as good as any.
It wasn't a camrip but kinda low quality with watermarks. I didn't mind the lesser quality much; I think it actually attests to the solidness of the story itself that I enjoyed it over ogling the animation - while it's usually the other way around when it comes to Shinkai's works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime