UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-02-2018, 01:28 AM   #4801
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I was bored again so I did a catalog of the most powerful priority moves. All Pokemon listed have Life Orb, 252 EVs and + Nature. The only exceptions are Megas and Giratina-O, who holds the Griseous Orb.

All calcs done against a bulky neutral target (Arceus forme). Conkeldurr is burned and has Guts: Iron Fist w/LO or Guts w/FO weren't worth my curiosity.

Yveltal / Sucker Punch
Golisopod / First Impression
Arceus / Extreme Speed
Ash-Greninja / Water Shuriken
Absol / Sucker Punch
Deoxys-Attack, Mega Rayquaza / Extreme Speed
Conkeldurr / Mach Punch
Mega Absol / Sucker Punch
Deoxys, Rayquaza / Extreme Speed
Breloom / Mach Punch
Marshadow / Shadow Sneak
Dragonite / Extreme Speed
Crawdaunt / Aqua Jet
Mega Scizor / Bullet Punch
Lycanroc-Dusk / Accelrock
Mega Kangaskhan / Fake Out
Lucario / Extreme Speed
Azumarill / Aqua Jet
Mega Lucario / Bullet Punch
Mega Lucario / Extreme Speed
Mega Metagross / Bullet Punch
Mega Banette / Sucker Punch
Mega Pinsir / Quick Attack
Metagross / Bullet Punch
Mamoswine / Ice Shard
Golisopod / Aqua Jet
Weavile / Ice Shard
Sharpedo / Aqua Jet
Mega Banette / Shadow Sneak
Lucario / Bullet Punch
Giratina-Origin / Shadow Sneak
Mega Sharpedo / Aqua Jet
Scizor / Bullet Punch
Mega Lopunny / Fake Out
Ash-Greninja / Shadow Sneak
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-02-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #4802
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fake Out Glitch? (Random Doubles, 11 turns)

Spoiler: show
Why does Fake Out boosted by Helping Hand fail to flinch Qwilfish, whereas ordinary Fake Out later on succeeds in flinching it?

Also: lol, I could hardly have asked for a better final 2v2. "Pick a card, any card!"
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #4803
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Your Hariyama had Sheer Force it looks like
Old 11-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #4804
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Your Hariyama had Sheer Force it looks like
... Y'know something ... You might be right.

But fuck me, then! How stupid is that to allow the random generator to couple Fake Out with Sheer Force!?

I can confirm he didn't have Guts. (Glanced when I got burned.) Can't recall what ability he did have, but you are probably right that it was Sheer Force.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #4805
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

At least you won. The algorithm has been cruel to me, these past 2 days. A lot of ill-timed, momentum killing misses and matchups. Like this gem:

Malamar @ Normalium Z

Rest
Sleep Talk
Knock Off
Happy Hour

Granted, while I hate having these awful Pokemon handed out like Halloween candy, it's preferable to the 1400+ ladder where it takes 5 minutes for an opponent to d/c and it doesn't affect your rating.

I played a grand total of 4 players above 1400 who dropped out on me. So I had to wait 5 minutes and didn't get any wins or losses. Dumb dumb dumb.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #4806
Emi

Sleep Talk Happy Hour is literally the meta.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #4807
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Even low level battles require a lot of prediction, which is frustrating because these are low level battles.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #4808
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What is happening? Was there a change to the randomizer or something?

As mentioned before, I went from 1440 all the way to 1000 in the span of 3-4 days. It first began with the 5 minute time thing, and ever since dropping down after that I've been given some really impossible teams.

Like this:

Seaking
Bibarel
Kartana
Dustox
Mega Camerupt
Bisharp

vs. Unburden Hawlucha, Victreebel

How are you supposed to win?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #4809
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
As mentioned before, I went from 1440 all the way to 1000 in the span of 3-4 days.
Sounds like tilt. People don't normally break 1400 if they deserve to live in the 1000s.

Here's a battle from just right now in the low 1400s, and as you can see, the opponent plain sucks. The few times I "make mistakes", it's me giving him the benefit of the doubt that he won't be that transparent. (E.g. the turn I had Rotom-W use an Electric attack against his Krookodile switch-in -- because it was too obvious he'd switch in Krookodile, and thus he'd know I'd go for Hydro Pump, and thus Pyukumuku was secretly the best switch-in. #wifom)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #4810
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What is tilt? You mean regression? I might be a newbie but I don't think I'm that bad, as with teams dealt like the one I listed, it is nearly impossible to win without some massive screw up by the opponent.

What I've also noticed is a TON of forfeits. Whereas before (I registered), I rarely saw forfeit and didn't forfeit myself, but now I'm quitting pretty frequently, sometimes after a bad lead matchup (like if the lead outspeeds my entire team).

I used to do this in YGO for strategic reasons. If I had a bad matchup, I didn't want to leak my decklist to the opponent in the odd event that I prevailed against the opponent. This was in the Dueling Network era before replays, but YouTube recordings were still a threat. You also didn't accumulate experience if you scooped which helped me keep a low profile despite my high W/L.

Here's another example, a really tough battle against a bad opponent in the lower tiers. Tough, in the sense I have zero answers for the Mega Audino, since I had no physical attackers aside from Bisharp. What looks like a serious loss turns into a comic win where I only needed one Pokemon to sweep his team after the Mega Audino goes down.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #4811
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
What is tilt?
Tilt is when:
  1. you're doing however well,
  2. but then you lose a game.
  3. You insist on playing on, for whatever reasons, commonly "to try and even things back out" to the way they were before you incurred that loss. (E.g. you had been at 48:48, now you're at 48:49, so you want to play again to place it at 49:49 before you sign out for the session.)
  4. Yet you lose again. (E.g. now you're 48:50.)
  5. Stubbornly, you insist on continuing to play.
  6. ...
  7. Before you know it, you've lost many games in a row.
As defined by Wikipedia:
Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive. This term is closely associated with "steam" and some consider the terms equivalent, although steam typically carries more anger and intensity.

Once tilt begins, players are well-advised to leave the table and return when emotions have subsided. When away from the table, players are advised to take time to refresh themselves, eat and drink (non-alcoholic) if necessary, and take a break outside in the fresh air.

If none of these work in lessening tilt, players are advised to leave the game and not return to playing until they have shaken off the results that led to the tilt.

The intent of the advice is to prevent the upset person from letting negative emotions lead to bigger losses that can seriously hurt one’s bankroll.
Quote:
now I'm quitting pretty frequently, sometimes after a bad lead matchup (like if the lead outspeeds my entire team).
You will wallow in the lower ranks of the ladder if you insist on auto-forfeiting out of the gate every time you get a less than optimal team. Pokémon is not like YGO in this regard, and certainly Random Battle is not.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #4812
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Tilt is when:
  1. you're doing however well,
  2. but then you lose a game.
  3. You insist on playing on, for whatever reasons, commonly "to try and even things back out" to the way they were before you incurred that loss. (E.g. you had been at 48:48, now you're at 48:49, so you want to play again to place it at 49:49 before you sign out for the session.)
  4. Yet you lose again. (E.g. now you're 48:50.)
  5. Stubbornly, you insist on continuing to play.
  6. ...
  7. Before you know it, you've lost many games in a row.
As defined by Wikipedia:
Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive. This term is closely associated with "steam" and some consider the terms equivalent, although steam typically carries more anger and intensity.

Once tilt begins, players are well-advised to leave the table and return when emotions have subsided. When away from the table, players are advised to take time to refresh themselves, eat and drink (non-alcoholic) if necessary, and take a break outside in the fresh air.

If none of these work in lessening tilt, players are advised to leave the game and not return to playing until they have shaken off the results that led to the tilt.

The intent of the advice is to prevent the upset person from letting negative emotions lead to bigger losses that can seriously hurt one’s bankroll.
It's certainly possible. To test this hypothesis, I just ran off 25 games using a random name and went 21-4, with a GXE of 62%. The biggest difference I notice is I'm getting Ubers, whereas in the losing streak I hardly got any or had really bad teams that were impossible to win with.

This doesn't discount what you're saying. During the streak I made miscues that didn't escape my notice, like using Geomancy with Xerneas in front of Belly Drum Linoone. But I have noticed the quality of play is much greater, and that's where the surprise is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #4813
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Vivillon sweep. I've used this Pokemon several times before and found it rather lacking/underpowered, but its stats are surprisingly decent. It's probably the typing that lets it down the most.

That said, I was still surprised at how abusive Sleep Powder was on this. So I look it up and, to my shock and awe, there is an AG entry on SM Vivillon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogon
Due to the lack of Sleep Clause and viable Sleep Talk users, Vivillon uniquely stands out as a premier sleep inducer and Quiver Dance sweeper, able to take advantage of guaranteed sleep turns to reliably set up Substitutes and Quiver Dances due to Compound Eyes Sleep Powder.

...Vivillon is the very definition of a Pokemon in the Anything Goes metagame that can spiral out of control easily if not immediately assessed as a threat, and although it is somewhat niche, it can be a dangerous threat if left unchecked.
Wow, a lowly mothoid can threaten to tango with the sky serpents of AG? This has to be a direct byproduct of the Dark Void nerf.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 AM   #4814
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think I'm done for a while, not because I'm frustrated, but because I think stuff like that is fundamentally dumb & bad.

Focus Mizzzz
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #4815
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Had a dream last night that my Elo score in Random Doubles glitched. I was at 4963 or something, and I won a game placing me at 5898. Then I played one more game. I won ... and it said, "5898 -> 598". My score went from a messianic No.1 on the ladder all the way down to nearly half what is the possible minimum rating. I took a screenshot but didn't upload a replay of the match -- I was worried doing that would lock in the glitch score irreparably. As soon as I closed the match I knew I had messed up. But I tried anyway. I asked Showdown for help. They asked me if I had the replay. I said no but I have the screenshot. They said that doesn't cut it, since a photo could be easily manipulated. With no way to prove my high score, they said that they couldn't restore my 5898. They would look into the glitch, since clearly a score of 598 shouldn't be possible. Maybe I could play another game for them so they could see if the system would readjust my score to 1000 or something.

And then I woke up.

But yeah ... a score of 5,898 ... That's insane. That's some Alakazam IQ shit we're talking there. (Let's not worry about a single game bumping my Elo score up by some 900 points ... )
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #4816
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WORMADAM FOR THE WIN! (Random Doubles, 16 turns)

Holy cow, this is the textbook definition of "It ain't over 'til it's over." I thought I had lost at the end of Turn 3. My team?
  • shitty Wormadam
  • a Lycanroc at only 1% HP
  • Heatmor
  • Oricorio-Fire
  • Electrode
  • Corsola
The last five of these all lose, badly, to Quagsire. Water, Ground, and possible Rock-type attacks all do numbers on them. There was no way he would let me have Quagsire ...

And yet he did. Okay, that's fine. I still lose, because now he's revealed he has both Palkia and Dialga. In addition to fast Intimidate Stoutland and Regenerator, redirection master Amoongus, I'm done for.

But despite all that ... Struggle Bug Wormadam pulled through for me and, staying on the battlefield ALL SIXTEEN TURNS, singlehandedly 50%-handedly won me the game.

Turn 14, I FOR SURE THOUGHT I HAD LOST. I did not expect Corsola to outspeed Abomasnow. In fact, I'm pretty sure it didn't, and that the only reason he lost here was because he chose to Mega Evolve. Had he remained ordinary Abomasnow, I think he would have outspeed Corsola, Wood Hammer'd / Giga Drained for the win, and that'd have been that.

It's not over 'til it's over, people. Quit forfeiting prematurely. (And especially on Turn 0! )
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #4817
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

I'm surprised he gave up with Dialga vs. Corsola and Wormadam. Feared the paralysis would mess him up, I guess?

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #4818
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I mean, really, if we watch the match from start to finish we can interpretively view it as his collapse in confidence over time. First few turns, rock-solid confidence he's got me by the balls. Early mid-game, neutral confidence. Late mid-game, wavering confidence. Endgame, shits the bed with really poor plays. It might be as fair to say tenacity and pokerface won me this game as Wormadam-S did. Even with any perceptible bed shitting he did in the end, all he needed to do was not mega evolve Abomasnow and I think he still would have had the game won. Wormadam had no way of healing (Struggle Bug, Protect, Bug Buzz, and Sucker Punch iirc were the set), and Mega Abomasnow does enough damage that even my 2x resistance to Ice and 4x resistance to Grass wouldn't have been enough to ensure me victory against his Blizzards, Ice Shards, Wood Hammers, and/or Giga Drains.

But I think Wormadam-S does deserve a round of applause here. Putting aside whether the opponent shat the bed or not, she was an undeniable MVP with her resistances, immunities (HUZZAH, OVERCOAT!), and Struggle Bug nerfing enemy SpAttackers' attacks.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #4819
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Seemed like it was running a full Special Set, which the Trashy one had already proven to be adept at greatly hindering. Corsola might outspeed, too, so it might be able to drop some chip damage before it inevitably got Aura Sphere/Thunderbolted into oblivion, which of course makes wormadam's job a bit easier. And if wormadam had any uses of Bug Buzz left, she could even potentially net a Sp. Def drop to hurry the torment along. From the long game point of view, the odds didn't seem to be in his favor at the time.

On the flipside, he (still) has Pressure, the high chance to outspeed both of his opponents despite the Paralysis, two SE attacks against the enemy's offensive threat (one of which is neutral against the bulky one), an excuse to spam Draco Meteor with impunity if he so desired, and the fact the wormadam isn't likely to have a whole lot of PP left on its key attacks (which he resists anyway). Even if he got Parahaxed a couple times, it was perfectly possible for him to still claim victory there- and hey, close loss should be less embarrassing than a forfeit against a commonly looked-down-upon foe, right?

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #4820
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Golurk is unfazed by your Intimidation tactics!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #4821
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wormadam had no way of healing (Struggle Bug, Protect, Bug Buzz, and Sucker Punch iirc were the set), and Mega Abomasnow does enough damage that even my 2x resistance to Ice and 4x resistance to Grass wouldn't have been enough to ensure me victory against his Blizzards, Ice Shards, Wood Hammers, and/or Giga Drains.
I feel you're giving Abomasnow too much credit. Mega Abomasnow loses that matchup 90% of the time. Wormadon is immune to hail's chip damage and can stall out the perfectly accurate blizzards, while pressuring Abomasnow with super effective Struggle Bug.

That bad a matchup (along with Heatmor, Lycanroc) is likely why he held back on Abomasnow until the end. Because otherwise, why would you not deploy your weather setter ahead of Dialga?

As for Mega Evolving, I think there's a trigger finger when it comes to using Mega Evolution on bad Pokemon. Speed drops are a bit counter intuitive, and there's an urgency to use your stats boost before it's too late.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #4822
Heather
Naga's Voice

Special Steeladam just seems foreign to me, but in a competitive sense I see why you'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #4823
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Omg I did it xd

That Stone miss at the end, god bless

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #4824
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Z-Happy Hour Contrary Malamar seems a little broken. (Random, 23 turns)

Not a lot broken. Just a little. It's a more solid sweeper than most other DDance / Quiver Dance / Shell Smash sweepers tend to be. I'd still place it beneath Geomancy Power Herb Xerneas though.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #4825
Emi

I...question how Z-Happy Hour works with Contrary here. This shouldn't-

Quote:
Stat stage increases caused by the Z-Power effects of status Z-Moves are not inverted by Contrary. However, the stat stage increases as a result of Extreme Evoboost are inverted.
Oh GOD DAMN IT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON