UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #76
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Also, Bandai has licensed Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya in April and was showing it subbed in Hawaii and San Fran. Sucks to be not from the Pacific Coast.
*ahem* *waves shyly* Hello. I've lurked this thread ever since the old forum. Just thought I'd let east coast Haruhi fans know that there will be a screening of the Disappearance movie at NY Animé Fest in October. Yuki's VA Minori Chihara will also be making a guest appearance:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...-honor-at-nyaf

*slinks back to her hidey hole*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Cool! When you said "Yuki's VA," I thought "not that ugly mannish American cosplayer again >_>", but then I kept reading.

Unfortunately, "Lafayette, IN" is a good ways away from New York City. ^^;

Even worse, if that screening in October is meant to be special (i.e. "Come see the movie no one else has had a chance to see yet because it still isn't out on DVD!"), then that's not good news but frustrating news. At least for me. -.-;

Lurk less, post more!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #78
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Sorry, guess I should've used the term "seiyuu". ^^;

I also have something for novel readers waiting on book 10. A preview of the story was released back in April, which a user on animesuki translated:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=3323

Apologies if you guys already knew about this.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #79
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I hate that NY Anime Fest (and NY Comic Con since they're run by the same group) happens randomly and not the same month or so every year like it is for Otakon and Anime Boston.

But I might try to go and get her signature. Adding that to my season 1 box set collection would make me smile for months.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #80
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Sorry to keep butting in, but I recently read that Aya Hirano has/is planning on quitting voice acting to contentrate on being a TV talent. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #81
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doppel or someone can probably provide a better source than I can, but she's indeed quitting. This is the best I can provide. The creepy stalker rage most of her Japanese fans are having is pretty amusing.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 08-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #82
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
BBB's disclaimer is well warranted as Sankaku is a tabloid and I haven't found anything concrete elsewhere, although CV's retiring under stress of stalkers and death threats isn't new. Sadly, the former character voice for Hagiwara Yukiho of Idolmaster quit under those circumstances, and she was replaced (but nobody knew for a while, since Yukiho has no speaking parts in any of the "World is One" IM@S 2 trailers).

I can't imagine Aya giving up on CV gigs when she's so well paid and immensely popular. True, Japanese idols tend to fade into obscurity rather quickly, and this might be why she's trying to diversify her portfolio since honestly she can't sing worth a darn and has no future in J-pop when she gets older.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #83
Talon87
時の彼方へ

From my observations for the most part, fans loved her as Haruhi but were anywhere from split-50/50 to united in hating her when she was cast for other voice acting roles. I don't know if it's the Mark Hamill effect at work (i.e. she was an unknown before Haruhi, and so people "see" her as Haruhi and accept that; but when they hear her in other roles, they're either upset she doesn't sound enough like Haruhi or else they're upset she sounds too much like Haruhi; or sometimes it's neither of those problems but they themselves just can't shake the mental image of her being Haruhi, like Hamill being Luke Skywalker), but regardless, she's been plagued by criticism of her voice acting talents, too, and not just her singing.

As such, I think it'd be only natural for her to investigate a career elsewhere. Haruhi is wrapping up sooner or later, and then she'll be S.O.L. She's hardly this generation's Hayashibara Megumi.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #84
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Products update.

TV Series: Season 2 on DVD is due for release on September 14, 2010 in the United States. It looks like the entire season will be released together in one box, but it doesn't look like there will be an option for hardcore fans to purchase a Collector's Edition box w/ fat cases to fill it with.

Books: the fourth volume in the series, The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, is slated for an English release date of November 2, 2010. As for the series' progress in Japan, we're still waiting on Volume 10, although at least we've been assured that it's coming.

Film: no new word still on when we can expect to see the Disappearance movie on DVD. We probably won't see it in America until either the same time as or else some time after we see the release of the book it's based on.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #85
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Film: no new word still on when we can expect to see the Disappearance movie on DVD. We probably won't see it in America until either the same time as or else some time after we see the release of the book it's based on.
The DVD release date has been confirmed for December 18, 2010, which is the day Haruhi disappeared in-universe.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #86
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So Japan had to wait almost an entire year for it to come out ... and as for the rest of us? -_-; Gyosh. As an anime fan, this has been one of the longest waits I've had to endure in a very long time.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #87
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So Japan had to wait almost an entire year for it to come out ... and as for the rest of us? -_-; Gyosh. As an anime fan, this has been one of the longest waits I've had to endure in a very long time.
At least it's not as long as the three-year wait for season two. ^^;
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #88
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Indeed! ^^;
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #89
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What? Season two's out! Since when?!

Last I heard Kyoto Animation released a few specials and a very annoying troll.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #90
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It comes out in about a week in the USA. And it looks like it's been coming out in Japan since a couple of weeks ago, at least. See Bamboo Lead Rhapsody DVD.

One thing's for certain: the Japanese fans seem to be pissed about this DVD release. In particular, a lot of them are complaining about the voice actor for Taniguchi having been (in their words) plastered all over this release. I dunno if they hate the voice actor, they hate the special content he's involved in, or what, but they seem livid and are rating the DVD 3, 2, or even 1 star on the Amazon product page as a result. Talk about your picky otaku. Though I'd agree if the guy's face was part of the perma-boxart or something.

I wonder if they're pissed that this is the bonus footage they got? lol
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #91
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

He was formerly very popular because of the wa-wa-wa wasuremono meme, so I don't get the hate either.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #92
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Posting here 'cuz I've nowhere else to rant:

Gr, I just found out NY Animé Fest scheduled the movie screening for Friday instead of Saturday. I have classes that day. T.T *cries* It's not fair...

I may still try to go Saturday to see Minori Chihara's concert. But I was so looking forward to seeing the movie. I think I'll miss out on her autograph session too. ='(

*is melancholic*
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #93
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Look at the bright side: they were probably planning on unveiling the English dub version there anyway. =\ Doubtless, the audio's been recorded by now, and I'm sure those ASOS Brigade goons are wetting their pants with anticipation to see their recordings on the big screen.

I still need to get the S2 box. I was really hoping they'd release a collector's edition like they did for S1, but it isn't looking that way. Not with the economy the way it's been, and not with the anime companies being as jaded with marginal returns on DVD merchandise as they have been.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #94
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

What exactly is the ASOS Brigade? I've only vaguely heard of it.

I vastly prefer the original voices over the dub, so I'll probably just look for subs once the DVD comes out in Japan. (I refuse to watch the camrip. Out of any series, my Haruhi experience must be in high quality - it's just a quirk.) Plus I need clips of the movie for a fake trailer that I'm making where Kyon is revealed to have schizophrenia and Haruhi's just a hallucination (long story with my friend). ^^;

Still, I would've loved to boast a first-time theater experience for a movie of my absolute favorite series. Maybe it'll be shown at Animé Boston next year... Hah, right.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #95
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

American SOS Brigade a.k.a. the Bandai USA team handling the dub.

And darn you guys...got my hopes up a DVD rip had suddenly appeared.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The ASOS are really annoying. They're also the people who provide the voices to the English dub. You have been warned!

ASOS Brigade Episode 00
ASOS Brigade Episode 04.1

What I was suggesting was, nobody likes the ASOS except for (a) they themselves and (b) those oddballs who'll take a really bad dub over a really fantastic sub any day of the week because they just hate subs that badly.

And those two parties, A and B, will want to see the movie screened in English rather than in Japanese given that an English audio version exists.

I'm pretty sure (though I could be wrong) that the Japanese film was what was screened earlier this year at American conventions. 'Cause it was around that very same time that the ASOS were promoting the fact that they were getting down to work on Season 2 and the film. But now it's late September, and so I'm thinking that they've probably already finished re-recording all of the audio and thus this convention you mentioned'd be the first opportunity for them to screen the English dub they worked so hard on and to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Last edited by Talon87; 09-25-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #97
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Hm, I was under the impression they'd still show the subbed version. At least that's what folks at animesuki say. I think someone there helped with the translation.

By the way, since the movie has been licensed, does that mean a.f.k. won't sub it?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #98
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am afraid that may indeed be the case. Which makes me very, very sad. a.f.k.'s Strato is by far the best fansubber I've ever come across. He is remarkably accurate and precise in his translations. He does as good a job as any human being can do in translating the dialogue from Japanese to English 1:1. I mean, you can't do this, as the languages lack 1:1 correspondence, but he does the best job out there. I was really excited to have him return from his hermitage to work on Haruhi S2, and I was similarly crushed when Bandai North America announced that they'd licensed this film before it even had a chance to hit the internet -- since it meant I wouldn't be able to have my perfect Strato collection.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #99
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I've got a good 99% chance of going to NY Anime Fest but mostly because it's also linked to NY Comic Con. I'll probably be seeing the movie but it really depends on the overall schedule, which I should look at.

EDIT: Bah! Goddamn you Bruce Campbell for charging $40 per autograph! Meanwhile Minori Chihara requires I be there at 7AM on a line to get a ticket for it.... FUCK I'M DOING IT!!! WAKE UP 5AM AND GET ON LINE! I'LL DO IT!

Also, lilbluecorsola, if you want meet up, lemme know and I'll PM you my info.

Last edited by Loki; 09-25-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #100
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Yeah - much like my quibble with high quality, I've grown accustomed to a.f.k.'s subs. It's just not the same without his translations. I remember years ago I found a page with the entire first novel translation where the dialogue was identical to a.f.k.'s subs... I don't know if it was done by the same guy, but I wish I hadn't lost the link to it. Especially since the novels are no longer on baka-tsuki. The translation was far superior to baka-tsuki's anyway, so I think it might've been Strato's work.

Movie is from 8:00-10:00 PM on Friday. (Minori Chihara's spotlight is from 3:15 - 4:15 on Friday as well.) Concert is 7:30 - 8:30 PM on Saturday.

I haven't given up hope yet. None of my instructors for Friday classes take attendance... If I can somehow convince my friend/her roommate to punch in her ID for her, I will kidnap her and take her to see the movie. We must witness Kyon's freakout, moe Yuki, ItsukixHaruhi moments (yeah, I ship these two)... And gather more evidence for our insane theories. X3

*cough* I swear to Suzumiya I'm not a crazy rabid obsessed fan.

edit- @Loki: Wait, where'd you find out you needed to get there at 7AM to get a ticket? Is this for the concert? I thought admittance was free?

Also, I'm not so sure about meeting anyone over the net... Being a (timid) female college freshman and all. ._.; I'll probably have enough trouble convincing my mother to even let me go in the first place.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-25-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime