UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #376
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Feels like I'm watching a Yu-Gi-Oh! release. Most of the Pokemon are bad, but then you have insane stuff like

>Cinderace
>Galarian Darmanitan
>Barraskewda
>Zacien

Stall is also dead, Toxic is no longer a TM and few Pokemon can learn it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #377
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Toxic is no longer a TM and few Pokemon can learn it.
...I think I'm going to be sick.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #378
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Ladies and gentlemen, at long freaking last, they have righted an old wrong with these games!

Qwilfish is once again capable of learning Swords Dance!
Old 11-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #379
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

...it couldn't before?

The other wrong is Sap Sipper with Seismic Toss Azumarill.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #380
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
...it couldn't before?
Qwilfish got Swords Dance as a tutor move in Gen 3, and then when Gen 4 came around and Swords Dance became a TM once more, Qwilfish became incompatible with the move. Up until this, the move tutor in Emerald/FR/LG was the only way to get Swords Dance on Qwilfish, meaning it's been impossible to get Swords Dance on a Qwilfish that has Intimidate or knows Aqua Jet.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #381
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I never noticed because Intimidate Qwilfish isn't as useful as the normal variant. So it is similar to the move tutor problem with Azumarill, which GameFreak didn't fix and instead limited Seismic Toss to the Machamp line.

In other news, oh em gee.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #382
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Blastoise got super buffed.

+Rapid Spin's buff
+Shell Smash
+Life Dew (Water-type Recover)

If only he got Origin Pulse.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #383
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Yeah, well check Tyranitar when you get a shot. Heavy Slam and Body Press are both solid options for it.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:47 AM   #384
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Stall is also dead, Toxic is no longer a TM and few Pokemon can learn it.
I'm actually ok with this. Let poison types have their own thing.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #385
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Pokemon Sword soft-locking during a Gym Battle draw.

It's pretty funny to see how the bugs, bad art and questionable design elements are overshadowing the actual gameplay datamine now.

This isn't a game worthy of a pre-release purchase, it needs to be polished up considerably.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #386
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Remember when saving in Lumoise City fucked with your save?

I wish people would sometimes just, remember previous Pokemon games because this is the only bug I've seen of Sword and Shield and its a fairly minor one.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #387
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kommo-o's new move, Clangorous Soul, is intended as a replacement for Clangorous Soulblaze. It's insane.

For 1/3 HP, you gain +1 to all stats, just like Soulblaze. Even better, it isn't single use. Kommo-o also has access to the new move Body Press that works off the user's defense stat. Since Kommo-o has higher defense than Attack, it's a slightly less powerful Close Combat that doesn't drop defenses:

+1 0 Atk Kommo-o Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 180-213 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 Def Kommo-o Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 135-159 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Effectively, it's close to a base 100 move off the 110 Attack stat. Obviously, you can invest more into Kommo-o's defense to pump this a lot higher while making Kommo-o physically bulkier. 252+ defense makes this equivalent to uninvested Close Combat at +1. And this is all with a free item slot.

The only drawback as I see it is I think this move is incompatible with Soundproof. Clangorous Soulblaze is also blocked by it, so I wouldn't be surprised. Kommo-o would use Bulletproof anyway since it also protects him from Pyro Ball, which is going to be everywhere on Scorbunny.

Eiscue and Mimikyu are going to see a lot of use to block physical attackers. Incineroar is going to be used a lot too, especially as a check to the unstoppable Darmanitan-G.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #388
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

GDarm is interesting but I think it has a few native issues. Most noticeably, its bulk is kinda blech iirc and it's still an Ice type, which, as great offensively as that is... It's going to last about as long as a gingerbread house in a hurricane. Especially if you try and set up for Zen Galarmanitan with Belly Drum, which cranks its offensive potential a bit further iirc and adds Fire typing.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #389
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

IGN has awarded Sword/Shield a 9.3, making it their second highest rated set of Pokemon games this decade. Only BW2 scored higher, and before that, Ruby/Sapphire.

YIKES. It's stuff like this that makes people so cynical. Especially playing the pre-release which multiple sources have documented game-breaking bugs revolving Dynamax. The bad is compounded by the editors deflecting criticism as coming from "trolls", "cyber-bullies" and "incels".

This is about as darkly funny as anything posted in the Going the Heck topic.

I stand by what I said earlier...wait for the day one patch, at least. Do what Chairman Rose refused to do, wait one friggin' day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
GDarm is interesting but I think it has a few native issues. Most noticeably, its bulk is kinda blech iirc and it's still an Ice type, which, as great offensively as that is... It's going to last about as long as a gingerbread house in a hurricane. Especially if you try and set up for Zen Galarmanitan with Belly Drum, which cranks its offensive potential a bit further iirc and adds Fire typing.
Double Banded Icicle Crash 2HKOs everything except a heavily defensive physical Steel type, or Incineroar who resists and Intimidates. The scarf set is an amazing revenge killer that shreds offense.

Zen Mode doesn't even need Belly Drum. You can use a Choice Band on Zen Mode, U-Turn out twice and take 50% from Stealth Rock. That activates Zen, giving you 160 Attack + Choice Band + 135 Speed.

Priority is at a premium in this meta and only a STAB Mach Punch, Bullet Punch can 2HKO Zen Mode.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-13-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #390
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
It should be noted that guy who recorded those softlocks was using a blatantly hacked version intended to look bad.

That being said, IGN can be discredited as a real review site, and from general reviews it's landing around the 7 to 8 mark, with the positives being QoL and graphical and the negatives being linearity and lack of meaty content.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #391
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What's the context of a 7 to 8 review? Is that good, average, bad?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #392
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Well the editor deflections are easy because frankly as bad as it is, it's also pretty accurate.

As for Galarmanitan... Maybe, but I still think there'll be a way around it beyond Incineroar and Fat Steels.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #393
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
A 7-8 review is "Good, but not great due to flaws."

It pretty much fits the bill regarding SnS: As far as games go, they're pretty good. As far as pokemon games go, they're about average.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:19 AM   #394
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The testers for the Gen VIII meta on Smogon's beta server are calling for Dynamax to be banned. It's the most broken thing in Pokemon history, even worse than Gen I Amnesia or Mega Rayquaza.

Dynamax not only doubles HP, but all your moves turn into Z-Moves with secondary effects (like Eevee's moves in LGPE), with BP scaling off the base move. This means that setup sweepers become unstoppable with a single turn of setup, as each Max Move provides an additional bonus after use.

Gyarados, for example, is going to be quickbanned to Ubers if Dynamax itself isn't banned. After a single DD and Dynamax, Gyarados becomes as fat as Chansey, and gains access to the following moves:

Max Geyser - 130 BP physical Water-type move, sets rain on use
Max Airstream - 130 BP physical Flying-type move, +1 speed on use

If Gyarados kills something with Max Geyser, it sets up rain for +50% more damage, and also gets +1 from Moxie. If it kills something with Max Airstream, it gets +1 speed and +1 ATK from Moxie, as if it were a free Dragon Dance after using Supersonic Skystrike.

To visualize how oppressive this is, after Dynamax and with SpD investment,

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 48 HP / 252 SpD Gyarados in Electric Terrain: 568-672 (85.6 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Gyarados has 663 HP in Dyanamax form, and Tapu Koko can't cleanly OHKO with STAB and Electric Terrain despite a x4 weakness. Not that Koko would outspeed Gyarados at +1, but Dyanamax Gyarados would then kill it with Max Quake.

And keep in mind, every Pokemon except for the three Galar legends can Dynamax. There is no way to delay turns because Dynamax Pokemon cannot be flnched by the likes of Fake Out, bypass Protect/Detect/King's Shield/Baneful Bunker, bypass Substitute and cannot be phased.

You need Focus Sash, Ice Face, Sturdy to eat hits and even then, what can you do? Just saq the Pokemon and the opponent could setup further.

Ironically, stall gets a bigger boon from Dyanamax than offense, since stall teams can Dynamax Unaware Quagsire, Clefable, or Pyukumuku and eat up the Dynamax turns. If an offensive team is relying on Dyanamax as their out to stall, they're going to lose.

Oh yeah, and Gyarados/setup sweepers can still hold items. Yikes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-15-2019, 03:13 AM   #395
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uh, so is there any truth to the story that the digital copy of SS will brick the Switch and destroy your library downloaded games?

EDIT: Oh, it's real. Could this release be anymore disastrous?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-15-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #396
Emi

If you have autosave on, you can potentially lose save data stored in the same location.

There is no proof it'll brick your switch and you tweet is literally just "This is where things get stored"

EDIT: So I've done a little more digging and it seems that the problem has nothing to do with Pokemon Sword and Shield itself, but the fact that certain microSD card formats do not work well with the Switch due to faulty drivers. No one is really sure why Sword and Shield are triggering the issue, but physical copies of the game are fine because they aren't using the SD card.

Again, however, there is no proof that it is actually causing Switches to brick, or that it'll perform this problem is stored in the Switch's internal memory. This is strictly a problem with certain SD formats that have been known to the Switch hacking and modding community for a while now.

Last edited by Emi; 11-15-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #397
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I have some expertise in this from my work on Android. In fact, partitioning tables is the very project I'm working on for my Galaxy S3.

The default internal storage partition for Linux-based OS is ext4. The equivalent on Windows-based OS would be NTFS. It seems the Switch's /data partition is using NTFS and it supports Fat32 and exFAT to accommodate any number of unbranded SD cards.

All of these use solid state NAND flash memory. There's functionally no difference between an external SD card and an internal SD card aside from where it is physically located on the motherboard.

Hardware OEMs began with native exFAT support starting in 2012. The Switch should support it without problem, and until the Smash issue last year on homebrews there weren't any reported issues.

I read about the Smash homebrew issue, but I can say confidently that Nintendo having faulty drivers for exFAT would be negligence worse than even the cheapest Chinese smartphone manufacturer. It's not what you expect out of Nintendo.

By contrast, GameFreak has bugged Dynamax so badly that Smogon reports choice items don't lock Max Moves in place, allowing users to pick any Max Move they so choose.

I'm going to blame GameFreak, and Sword/Shield on this one, and not Nintendo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #398
Emi

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1195341413484883969
Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #399
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That is pretty clearly a Sword/Shield problem causing the issue, since it's the cause of the timeout.

Yes, the Nintendo driver corrupts the SD card afterward, but this is equivalent to pulling out your USB drive without "removing the external drive" on your PC. There should be no surprise if the flash memory is damaged after removing it by force, because USB drivers can corrupt flash storage.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #400
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

So my game crashed while playing, and apparently that's the first thing that happens before your switch gets completely fucked. You can't do or play anything else before it starts fucking up joycons/menus etc even in other games.

Thanks gamefreak.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News