UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #126
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The new Pokémon that will be unveiled in LGPE may have been leaked by Niantic traffic. It's speculative at this point, but:

Spoiler: show

Actual image leaked.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnmZ4xAU0AIN1vS.jpg
(Massive) fan imitation of Ken Sugimori art.

It, uh .................... If this is really a new Pokémon, then man, color me underwhelmed. This looks a rejected baby for the Klink / Klang / Klinklang line. It looks like someone took an ordinary hexagonal nut, smushed it on top of a gray Ditto, and then put a tiny black ball in the center hole.

If this really is the new Pokémon for LGPE ...
  • how did Game Freak miss the opportunity to place the newest Eeveelution in the game?
  • this can't possibly be a legendary ... can it? It looks like a baby!
  • surely this has to evolve into something else ... So, does that mean it can evolve in LGPE? And that we'll see its evolution in LGPE as well, bringing the count to two (or more) new Pokémon instead of just one?
  • Steel type is an obvious candidate given the nut. A lot of people are speculating Psychic for a secondary typing given the black ball that appears to be floating freely in the middle of the nut, but I dunno ... I could see this being just mono-Steel or some other type combination instead. I can ofc also see it being Steel/Psychic, sure.
  • Given the nature of the leak, will this likely mean that Game Freak doesn't gift Niantic any of the other Gen 8 mons until only after Gen 8 has released on the Switch?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #127
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Actually that...kind of looks like some sort of black hole or something. It might not be Steel at all.

It's kind of cute honestly
Old 09-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #128
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I bet it's based on some obscure yokai. GF seems obsessed with beating YO-KAI Watch even though that franchise has collapsed catastrophically in the last year or two.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #129
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

On one hand, I kinda doubt that theory myself. On the other one, Touhou showed us westerners that similar concepts crop up all the dang time even to this day within the past couple years, so it could be a more recent urban legend. In any case, it feels kinda lazily designed to me with as few details about it we currently have, but is oddly endearing nonetheless. Steel seems like the obvious Type here, but we've all know that GF likes to avoid the obvious Type from time to time (cough, solgaleo and stunfisk, cough).

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #130
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Far from the worst thing they ever produced.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #131
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Nutty Putty 820 BST you heard it here first!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #132
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I like it. It's kinda cute.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #133
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

We got movement.

It's not the worst in history, but...it's still pretty bad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #134
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I love it. It's even cuter now!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #135
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Hmm, now I wonder if it's supposed to be a new UB or something- both the nut and the wire tail don't strike me as typical pokemon design elements, even among the synthetic-esque ones, especially when used in conjunction with that much-less-solid looking body.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #136
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Nearly looks like it could evolve into Xurkitree.....

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #137
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Nearly looks like it could evolve into Xurkitree.....
ULTRA BABIES, WE MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE~
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #138
Heather
Naga's Voice

On discord it was mentioned that the thing looks similar to some ditto evolution seen in the Gen 2 Beta Roster from a while back. If that is the case. Game Freak, this is your shot, right here, to make me ignore the oversimplification of everything, the Gen 1 locking, the fucking Pokémon dash reference that is floaty fall, all of this game's bullshit, and actually make me want it.

BETA!PORYGON2. LET ME HAVE IT. MAKE THE PURE AND GOOD BOI CANON. FUCKING MOUNTAIN DEW IT MASUDA, I'M CALLING YOU OUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #139
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Ditto NUT
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #140
deoxys
Fog Badge

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #141
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

The Pokémon Company has released a new YouTube video revealing the name of the new Pokémon first seen in Pokémon Go earlier this week. Its name is Meltan, the Hex Nut Pokémon. It is Steel-type and a mythical to boot. We also have this information:

"Most of Meltan’s body is made from liquid metal, and its shape is very fluid. It can use its liquid arms and legs to corrode metal and absorb it into its own body. Meltan generates electricity using the metal it absorbs from outside sources. It uses this electricity as an energy source and also as an attack that can be fired from its eye. Clearly a curious Pokémon, Meltan is very expressive and shows an interest in all kinds of things."

The Pokémon Let's Go website contains much of this information and more, for your perusal. It's not clear to me whether Meltan is definitively mono-Steel or whether they're only revealing its Steel typing for now while hiding other secondary typings. 'Cause man: that blurb of text sure would support interpretations of it either being part-Poison with special efficacy against Steel types or of it being part-Electric. Not the first time Game Freak has done stuff like this, but it's pretty weird to focus so heavily on its electric and corrosive powers and then just declare it mono-Steel. Guess we'll see ...
Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #142
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I feel like they'd have mentioned if it had a secondary typing. Wouldn't be the first time we got a pure Steel-type that uses Electric attacks. *looks at the Klink line* I do love the idea that it might turn out to have a special Poison move that's super effective against Steel. Or even an old one- I've always said they should rework Acid to be basically a Poison-type Freeze-Dry, personally.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #143
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I love it so much. Such a good little blob.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #144
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

One fore thing to keep the question on its full Typing a mystery: it's called the Hex Nut Pokemon. Sure, that could just simply be shorthand for 'hexagon', but the potential for a double entente here might be worth taking into account. The liquid metal comment is interesting, leading to potential for it being yet another Water Type, but this one seems a bit of a stretch- the most well known liquid metal is mercury, which is known nowadays for its toxicity. Though, mercury did represent the mind in alchemy, so Psychic wouldn't be too far off the deep end if they're still keen on using that motif for whatever reason...

Aside from that, maybe its Ability will be Corrosion? It seems more likely to be able to make use of it than salazzle is in terms of potential bulk (albeit probably not by much), and the omnipresence of Toxic means that a pokemon doesn't have to be a Poison Type to reap the benefits from the skill. Well, maybe not- it is currently tied to two games that don't have Abilities in them at the moment, so maybe we won't be getting that sort of information for a while yet...

Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #145
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Completely forgot Corrosion is a thing. I think it's a guarantee it will have Corrosion for its ability, and now the only question would be whether it's mono-Steel (99.9%) or whether it's Steel/Electric and they're keeping it a secret (0.1%). I still think it's weird, though, to have it be Steel @ Corrosion instead of Steel/Poison @ Corrosion, but whatever: competitively, you'd obviously want the former because that means no 4x weaknesses and especially no 4x weakness to the omnipresent Ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
I do love the idea that it might turn out to have a special Poison move that's super effective against Steel. Or even an old one- I've always said they should rework Acid to be basically a Poison-type Freeze-Dry, personally.
Whether it has Corrosion or not, I 100% agree with you about reworking Acid. When I consider what they did with Leech Life in Gen VII, it gives me hope that they will do something similar for Acid in Gen VIII onward. Maybe keep Acid as a weak move but lend it the corrosive property ŕ la Freeze-Dry, and then maybe invent a new, upgraded version of Acid that retains the same corrosive properties but gains a base power boost. Something like base 80 seems about right. And, given Leech Life's own bump to base 80, dare I say likely.

The only problem is, if every Poison type (and handfuls of non-Poison types) can learn these corrosive moves, it defeats the purpose of Steel being immune to Poison-type attacks. A, I'd consider this a point in favor of the theory that Meltan is probably going to have Corrosive for its ability, thus gating the power behind an ability rarely distributed. And B, I'd have to think that they would have to super limit who all can learn Acid and similar moves going forward. I think the living sludge Pokémon (Grimer, Muk, Gulpin, Swalot) are the best contenders. Following them would be other "we aren't just Poison-type -- we are living poison!" Pokémon like Koffing/Weezing. But I feel like the move would have to be ironically retconned off of Pokémon like Ekans (snake acid isn't steel-melting acid), Tentacool (likewise, cnidarian toxins aren't going to scream "EATS THROUGH METAL!"), etc. You might even have to go so far as to give them a replacement move like Venom (which would work really, really well for the two cited examples of snakes and cnidarians), something which connotes the idea of a poison / toxin without the acidic idea of corrosion.

But yeah, I generally agree with you that it'd be nice to have a Poison-type variant of Freeze-Dry that conveys the idea of "acids that eat through metal". Just don't break the game and give it to every Poison type. Otherwise you may as well just say "fuck it" and rework the type effectiveness chart from having Steel be immune to Poison to having it become weak to Poison instead.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #146
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I read somewhere the Japanese name is "Metalmon", implying a relationship with Ditto who is "Metamon". Any confirmation of that?

Additionally, if nobody knows LGPE is not considered Generation VIII. It's been retconned as a Generation VII game, so this Meltan is this year's Gen VII mythical.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #147
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm disappointed that they namedropped Meltan as a Mythical, because as of late, any new Mythical Pokemon is just a Pokemon that Game Freak decided to make arbitrarily rare so that a movie could be made about it, and then it just gets handed to you ingame. There's no lore, no sense of discovery, just "here's yet another Pokemon everyone on GTS will ask for in ignorance of the fact that Classic Ribbon is still used as an annoyingly obstructive mechanic, now go shove it in a PC box for all eternity because it'll never actually be useful for anything because it will never be officially comp legal." This isn't even going into how many of these Pokemon could otherwise just be completely regular Pokemon. Pokemon having moves exclusively endemic to their species isnt a legendary/mythical only thing at this point-hell, with the removal of Strength as an HM, Gen 7 leaves Machamp as the only Pokemon you can teach Strength to. So the only reason some Electric typed Lucario/Zoroark fusion like Zeraora is "mythical" is because GameFreak arbitrarily decided it should be. There's nothing special about it besides Plasma Fists (Which, by the way, holding that exclusive to such a dumb Mythical just to make it have half an iota of value as such is just an insult to the several physical-oriented eletcric types out there who have been dying for something better than Spark/Thunderpunch/fang that doesnt come with recoil damage that isn't justifiably exclusive like Fusion Bolt).

Quote:
Old 09-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #148
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I read somewhere the Japanese name is "Metalmon", implying a relationship with Ditto who is "Metamon". Any confirmation of that?
That's false. Its Japanese name is メルタン Merutan, of which Meltan is pretty much the Anglicization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Additionally, if nobody knows LGPE is not considered Generation VIII. It's been retconned as a Generation VII game, so this Meltan is this year's Gen VII mythical.
This is also false. As far as I know, there has been no official confirmation of whether LGPE should be thought of as Gen 7, Gen 7.5, or Gen 8. I think of it as 7.5, personally. But even if it were confirmed to be the last of Gen 7 ...

... What they have confirmed, from Day 1, is that LGPE will be introducing one new Pokémon, and that said Pokémon is the very first Gen 8 Pokémon the world will get to see. So if that's Meltan, which it would seem likely it has to be, then that means Meltan is our first Gen 8. Furthermore, all of the Gen 7 legendaries that weren't initially revealed, like Marshadow and Zeraora, were in SMUSUM's code. We also know that there are no Pokémon left to be discovered in SMUSUM's code. And we also know that Game Freak isn't a fan of DLC-style patches after the fact. So putting one, two, and three together, we can pretty safely conclude that Meltan isn't a Gen 7 Pokémon -- because it's not already in SMUSUM and Game Freak isn't likely to patch it in either.

Meltan isn't this year's Gen 7 mythical. Zeraora was the last of those. Meltan is analogous to Magearna -- the first mythical of the upcoming new generation, revealed to players during the previous/current generation's final year. Recall that Magearna had been in a movie four months before anyone ever got to play with her that November of 2016. Meltan will probably be much the same -- revealed to us now, available to PoGo players this November, but unavailable to main series players until Gen 8 comes out.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #149
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Serebii tweeted out earlier today something along the lines of "It's official: LGPE is Generation VII" but that tweet has since been deleted. Bulbapedia also claims it's Gen VII everywhere but no source. I figured Serebii had some scoop earlier today before I went to sleep and I wake up to a video announcement. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I'm disappointed that they namedropped Meltan as a Mythical, because as of late, any new Mythical Pokemon is just a Pokemon that Game Freak decided to make arbitrarily rare so that a movie could be made about it, and then it just gets handed to you ingame. There's no lore, no sense of discovery, just "here's yet another Pokemon everyone on GTS will ask for in ignorance of the fact that Classic Ribbon is still used as an annoyingly obstructive mechanic, now go shove it in a PC box for all eternity because it'll never actually be useful for anything because it will never be officially comp legal." This isn't even going into how many of these Pokemon could otherwise just be completely regular Pokemon. Pokemon having moves exclusively endemic to their species isnt a legendary/mythical only thing at this point-hell, with the removal of Strength as an HM, Gen 7 leaves Machamp as the only Pokemon you can teach Strength to. So the only reason some Electric typed Lucario/Zoroark fusion like Zeraora is "mythical" is because GameFreak arbitrarily decided it should be. There's nothing special about it besides Plasma Fists (Which, by the way, holding that exclusive to such a dumb Mythical just to make it have half an iota of value as such is just an insult to the several physical-oriented eletcric types out there who have been dying for something better than Spark/Thunderpunch/fang that doesnt come with recoil damage that isn't justifiably exclusive like Fusion Bolt).
You never know. While you're correct that most of the recent Pokemon movies have been "The Mythical and Pony Show", Marshadow had a comparatively diminished role in I Choose You!. That film was 100% about Ash and Pikachu.

I would be insulted if M22, which is a remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back, would actually focus around Meltan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #150
Heather
Naga's Voice

If anything, Marshadow having very little role in its movie is a graver offense because it clearly has a pretty unique ability of some sort, having a species-exclusive Z-move before Ultra where a lot more species got those, and not using the movie it was in to at least give some proper external media lore to the thing and then on top of that giving it no proper ingame lore on account of just being handed to you, is just...mind bogglingly insulting to the poor thing. You can't just give a Pokemon a Z move called Soul Stealing Seven Star Strike whose animation gives it a clearly intimiate tie with Z Power as a concept (the arrangement of the seven stars makes a z-ring icon) and then just give it absolutely no lore whatsoever while calling it "mythical." If its mythical, then for god's sake tell us the myth!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News