UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I give Pacific Rim a C-.

>Dopple
Answer in spoilers because MAJOR SPOILERS.

Spoiler: show
Not the same ending, exactly, due to the time stuff being present, but really close. (going off Wikipedia's description of the ending of Gunbuster)

It's pretty much the exact ending that the Avengers had, where they pilot a bomb into another world and jettison.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Gunbuster ending-

Fundamentally, it's where the soldiers complete their mission, but when they return home everything's gone and all the people they knew were dead. It's like that?

If so, I'm kind of OK with it I think. It was a very powerful, famous ending in anime history - it took Gunbuster 20,000 years to return to Earth from the galactic center at sublight speed, because Gunbuster itself lost the ability to achieve FTL after jettisoning its engines. But even though Gunbuster saved mankind 20,000 years ago to Earth, the human race never forgot the battle that preserved its existence, so the descendants of the descendants of the descendants of the people who fought for humanity's survival were prepared to welcome back Gunbuster after its lonely journey.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
So you don't want CGI of buildings, cars, bridges because they look like plastic? But you want mini's to be built instead. Mini's whichi mostly likely be made of plastic. Because the plastic looks less like plastic than the thing which actually isn't plastic... Right?
But it's real fake plastic which is so much better than fake real plastic!

(yes i understand what dopple is saying i just felt the need to say that)

I personally will reserve my judgments until I see the movie, though. The trailers make me want to see it, but we'll see if the film itself elicits recommendations.

Also, Talon hit the nail right on the head with Transformers. It was...just bad. "Hambone" is exactly the word for it. While the CGI was pretty cool, I would have been able to deal with less CGI over the stuff that happened in Transformers.

They managed to make it about a fast-talking guy with no social skills instead of giant robots and said "LOOK GIANT ROBOTS, IT'S THE REASON YOU'RE IN THIS THEATER RIGHT? OOPS I THOUGHT IT WAS SHIA LABEOUF" for the rest of the movie.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Anybody seen the Polaris/Game Station "Training Day" video on Pacific Rim? I got some serious Power Rangers vibes from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I like the first Transformers more than this. I think Transformers was better in every regard than this movie.

And I didn't even like the first Transformers movie >>;

And if that's what you meant by the ending Dopple, then no, this movie doesn't end like that at all.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #31
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I just got back from watching this movie... and I loved it! It was amazing, the CGI was really well intergrated with the exception of one or two smaller points. Using actual models for this movie would have made it look absolutely horrendous in my opinion, and would have aged really badly. I'll probably write up a review once I've had more time to process it, but my tenative score would be around an A.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
I saw this film on Saturday. I loved it and would have happily gave it an A if you'd asked as I left the Cinema. But during the drive home I had time to think and... it sort of fell apart. Yes, it was big and flashy, two things I enjoy in a film, and there were some likable characters (like Mr Kaiju groupie and his partner, I forget their names), its just that the plot seemed to be very... convenient. Some of the plot points
The Sword attachment, Analog signal, Nuclear reactor, two unimportant Jagers destroyed conveniently leaving the main character's and his rival's for the climax, Baby Kaiju and Winged Kaiju (ok, these last two were pretty cool, but)

came out of nowhere just to advance the plot, and that annoyed me. If we had a bit of foreshadowing or something, heck, even a throwaway line, fine, but they just appeared. So thats grated on me for a bit, lowering my rating to a B/B-.
(Oh, and while i'm here, I recommend everyone should watch 'Now you see me'. Seriously good film, it is.)

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
I saw this film on Saturday. I loved it and would have happily gave it an A if you'd asked as I left the Cinema. But during the drive home I had time to think and... it sort of fell apart. Yes, it was big and flashy, two things I enjoy in a film, and there were some likable characters (like Mr Kaiju groupie and his partner, I forget their names), its just that the plot seemed to be very... convenient. Some of the plot points
The Sword attachment, Analog signal, Nuclear reactor, two unimportant Jagers destroyed conveniently leaving the main character's and his rival's for the climax, Baby Kaiju and Winged Kaiju (ok, these last two were pretty cool, but)

came out of nowhere just to advance the plot, and that annoyed me. If we had a bit of foreshadowing or something, heck, even a throwaway line, fine, but they just appeared. So thats grated on me for a bit, lowering my rating to a B/B-.
(Oh, and while i'm here, I recommend everyone should watch 'Now you see me'. Seriously good film, it is.)
For the stuff in your spoiler:
- The sword attachment I think is fine to have just be there, it doesn't really feel like a plot convience thing.
- The Analog signal and Nuclear reactor could have possibly been foreshadowed when Mako and Raleigh first link together and they couldn't actually shut the Jaeger down. But I didn't quite fully get everything being said in the control room because the cinema I was at was playing and and all background music ridiculously loud.
- The baby and winged Kaiju actually were foreshadowed when the scientist linked to the Kaiju brain, and revealed that the monsters were being sent in a sort of order. So it made sense that the Kaiju were adapting as more and more were being created and sent through the breach. Granted its late here and I can't quite remember if it happened before flying and baby Kaiju, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
- For the two Jaegars destroyed, yeah okay that one was definitely a plot convience, but still it made sense at least for the Russian Jaegar as they weren't equipt to deal with more than one Kaiju at a time.

Also the Australian accents were absolutely rubbish! That is not what Aussies sound like!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #34
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I don't understand why people like this movie. Do you guys just like campy actiony shit without any thought?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
^ No, I just liked the look of it at the time. It is currently falling out of favour though, as I think about it more. Doesn't help that the day after I watched a film infinitly times better than it.

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Part of the fun of seeing Godzilla movies is seeing how silly and terrible they actually are, Like Snakes on a Plane (although we're all pretty sure they went above and beyond to make Snakes on a Plane this way). Watching classic Godzilla movies, they're all stupid and terrible but you still had fun watching it. That's what I'm walking into Pacific Rim with. If it's still bad, I'll let you all know.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #37
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I may just be a cranky old man but it seems like you guys are setting your standards waaaaay too low for this movie. Wasn't it supposed to be more than an action movie?

Why are people ok with just getting a cheesy, poorly written and acted, action flick? Why is that what you want?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I may just be a cranky old man but it seems like you guys are setting your standards waaaaay too low for this movie. Wasn't it supposed to be more than an action movie?

Why are people ok with just getting a cheesy, poorly written and acted, action flick? Why is that what you want?
First, I this may seem like a shock to you, but people can have opinions that are different to yours. Second, I'm really not seeing how it was a poorly acted movie, with the exception of those horrible Australian accents. Sure sometimes the dialogue was corny and it did feel a little camp at times, but so what? Honestly it was yet another great movie by Guillermo Del Toro.

Last edited by PikaGod; 07-16-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Editted a bit cause it came across as being really confrontational and accusatory.
PikaGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #39
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
First, I this may seem like a shock to you, but people can have opinions that are different to yours. Second, I'm really not seeing how it was a poorly acted movie, with the exception of those horrible Australian accents. Sure sometimes the dialogue was corny and it did feel a little camp at times, but so what? Honestly it was yet another great movie by Guillermo Del Toro.
I'm not sure your joke detector is working. I was being humorous, although I am still confused as to why people like stuff like this in the first place.

I want to know WHY they like it, not saying they SHOULDN'T like it. Please don't assume.

Are all his movies like this?

Also I didn't even take into account that they were going for Australian accents when I mentioned the acting being lame. I didn't even realize they were trying to do accents. I guess that's how bad they were?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #40
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
Sarcasm totally works on the internet.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #42
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It wasn't really true blue sarcasm, because I wasn't trying to be mean and didn't mean the exact opposite of what I said; I was just joking around, half-serious if you please.

Also sarcasm is all I have.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #43
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
I want to know WHY they like it, not saying they SHOULDN'T like it. Please don't assume.
Because people do? It's got kickass robot action, a coherent story, amazing special effects, and a talented cast.

Quote:
Are all his movies like this?
Hmm, well not really that much I guess. Normally G.D.T's movies tend to be more towards a dark fantasy setting. I guarantee you have seen movies that he has been involved in, he was the writer and director for the two Hellboy movies, director, producer and writer for Pan's Labyrinth (if you haven't seen this, I wholeheartedly recommend going and watching it). and was a writer for the Hobbit movie.

Quote:
Also I didn't even take into account that they were going for Australian accents when I mentioned the acting being lame. I didn't even realize they were trying to do accents. I guess that's how bad they were?
Then you must have something wrong with your ears I guess? Because it was really obvious that they were going for Australian. Also I don't agree with the acting being bad, as you may have already guessed now :P
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #44
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Not really sure why you're still being snarky. There's nothing self-evident about action movies and nothing wrong with my ears. Nor have I seen any of those other movies you mentioned, except for the Hobbit, which I found woefully disappointing, especially compared to the LOTR trilogy.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #45
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm sorry if it comes off that way.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #46
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Sorry if I also came off as snarky. I understand that it can be annoying hearing someone trash a movie you annoyed, my apologies.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Fuck you guys for what it was and what it set out to do the movie was great and I'd happily pay again to see it and support the studios for taking a daring venture like this instead of some unfunny regurgitated bullshit like Grown Ups 2.

If you focus on the movie's story and attempts at humor, you're gonna have a bad time. In a movie like this they are irrelevant. It's a monster movie with giant robots, and if that's the one thing it set out to do, and to bring out the inner child in us, especially those of us who played with action figures as a kid and yearned for a thrilling underdog tale of good vs. evil... it did its job perfectly.

I left the movie with this huge grin on my face that I've had on on and off since. If you've read my rants on stories in the past, you know how critical I can get with plots and storytelling. And admittedly, this movie was campy as fuck. But it WORKS. It fits it perfectly. The very CONCEPT is campy as fuck! So I guess what I'm trying to say this is one of those rare instances where you either enjoy the movie for what it is or you don't, at least in my opinion. The story isn't the film's backbone, it's mechas vs monsters. It truly is more or less the live action adaptation of an anime that doesn't exist, and I fucking loved it.

I'll probably see it in theaters again honestly. I really do fee it was one the best films I've seen in the past year, which may or may not be concerning in regards to the overall movie industry direction.

But it was a really really fun movie. And DAT SOUNDTRACK.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #48
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It's not daring at all, unless you considered Transformers to be daring ;P

Also wtf, the soundtrack was generic as hell! I am disappoint, deo.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A better way to approach the matter, rather than declaring that he's wrong, might be to open with a request to elaborate on why he's right. "How exactly was the movie daring? What did you feel it does that is worth doing yet which most other movies fail to do?"

Consider that question officially asked.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #50
deoxys
Fog Badge

I think you misunderstood or I was not clear. What I mean to say is it was and is daring for studios to fund (with a lot of money) new franchises, primarily science fiction, with no previous history or adaptation in any form. They left the comfort of sequels and adaptations of novels and other media to invest in a brand new idea from Guillermo Del Toro.

That is what I meant by daring. If movies like Pacific Rim flop, they are less likely to invest in such types of ventures in the future. The fact that Pacific Rim actually wasn't utter shit is actually a huge plus to this, which is why I might go back with more friends to see it again. Vote with your wallet.

Do we want more "daring" investments like this? Or do we want more generic toilet humor Adam Sandler starred garbage like Grown Ups 2?

Anyway that aside, I still really liked the movie and thought it was really fun, and I've been listening to the main theme all day since I've seen it. It's completely subjective at this point. I'd agree with you MG but then we'd both be wrong ;)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment