UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

George's Tracks and such other noisy things

So yeah this is a thread for my productions and stuff. I've got 4 on youtube so far, and none of you will like them!

New Experience
Sunken Serenity
Areku
Yonder

Give me your opinions and such.

Sorry for the youtubes, Dave ;;

Last edited by Midgeorge; 04-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I don't really like New Experience that much, but the fact I've been listening to only Sunken Serenity for the past hour (With minor brony intermissions) should vouch for how spectacular it is.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
I don't really like New Experience that much, but the fact I've been listening to only Sunken Serenity for the past hour (With minor brony intermissions) should vouch for how spectacular it is.
Aha, New Experience is the better produced track all in all, and I prefer it. And my friends prefer it too. But its all about preference I guess, and I wouldn't expect anyone really to like Rough Jungle.

Sunken Serenity I was pretty proud of when I listened to it over, but I still need to work on it(Make the drop at 1:06 more powerful and such). Glad you like it
Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Also here's a link to my old stuff which I'm not working on anymore: http://soundcloud.com/geo20k
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

- New Experience

I'm going to be blatantly honest; I'm not a fan of this song. I feel like you've got something here, but it needs to be revamped. I'm trying to put it into words, because I'm not sure what it is, but something about the piano scale puts me off. I think it's the key that it's in, I'm not sure, but it almost sounds like it doesn't belong. Try experimenting moving the same scale around in different keys, and maybe even instead of keeping the same repetitive melody over and over again, drop it into different octaves and chords, so instead of just the same notes over and over and over again, try mixing it up a bit (it sounds like a B scale, but I can't tell).

Also not a fan of the talking, but maybe that's just me. There's something else I can't quite put my finger on, but I'm still thinking. Other than that it sounds almost like some kind of boss battle in a video game :P

- Sunken Serenity

Between 0:45 and 1:06, it almost sounds like the same melody as "My Heart Will Go On", ahahaha. As for what everyone is saying about the drop, definitely make that pay off better. Drop it long and hard (stop snickering), then let the bass fucking EXPLODE. The bass that follows the resulting drop feels like it needs to be heavier and more exciting instead of a slow wub playing one note at a time. Back to that build up before the drop, maybe consider layering in one or two more nice synths that sync up with that melody. Maybe layer them in at :55, and make them big and loud, almost like a pop-synth or an electro organ, something you might hear in a club song (Honestly, I'm thinking of this kind of synth, or similar (don't judge me)). The more you layer on to the build up to the drop, if you can pull if off correctly, the more attention you have from the listener, and the song will feel more tightly knit. As for the comments about the analog mono with a sub bass... eh, it's worth a shot, that might be what it needs (I'd have to hear it to know for sure), but I can't say that that's going to help it much or not, although it may be the key to getting better bass results in the drop.Really like that breakdown around the 2:30 mark. Really great! I think it sounds fine as it is, but see what it sounds like if you up its bass a tiny bit and the volume with it. You have REALLY nice potential for a BIGGER second drop right at 3:40, take advantage of that, perhaps do something bold that will cut out for a second and leave the listener in suspense, then follow back up again with more bass.

Also, the drum volume should be turned down, or everything else turned up. I think that's the key problem I couldn't pinpoint until the end. A very simple fix, but you don't want the rhythm to obscure the melodies, or it'll throw it off a bit. Yes, I'm almost positive now that I'm hearing it again. Not enough layers for the melody, and the ones that are there aren't loud enough (although that other breakdown around 4:00 that last about 20 seconds... I think you nailed it. Sounds awesome. Really love the rhythm twist at the end, too.

All in all, great song, just needs a few tweaks, and if you were able to pump this out, it should be no hard task to fix them. Maybe even make a few different versions of them and get opinions on each version, then master it as a final track. As for New Experience, well, I do feel like it's a pretty different musical approach than what you've got going with Sunken Serenity.

Ah, I see this now:

Quote:
Also, when I do the mixdown of my tracks, I always lose most of the volume on them. If anybody could give me a pointer on how to fix this, that'd be great.
Well, that is a problem then. I've never used Garageband, so I have no idea how to get around this, but you could always download Reaper and try playing around with the music in that (although you'd most likely need to save each track individually and import them over to recreate the song so you could re-mix it). You could also try out the trial for FL Studio 10, which is what I'm currently using (although I have the full version). A lot of artists inevitably find themselves mixing tracks between multiple DAWs at some point, so better now than later, right?

Once you have a few tracks finished and mastered (and take your time with them), you ought to make a bandcamp page and throw up and EP for a no more than say, $3.

If you are a brony, I don't think you are but I dunno, you could easily get these recognized by re-purposing them as OC pony music, but if you're not, don't try to pretend it's something it isn't or you'll just inevitably piss people off.

Spoiler: show

Oh, and PS. One final thing that gets passed around the brony music community to help keep your chin up, and as a reminder that music making is never easy; Maybe print it out and hang it up above your computer.

Last edited by deoxys; 03-30-2012 at 11:14 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Cheers for the feedback Deo

Here's another track, entitled Areku.

Yes I am aware it has too much bottom end on the kick drum and I will fix it.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

AND ANOTHER ONE OH GOD I LOVE THIS ONE

Yonder
Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Oh look I'm back making songs.

Check this one out:

BORKED
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Yo wassup, I made a track that I'm really really proud of and I want you all to listen to it pleeeeeeeease

http://soundcloud.com/geo20k/20k-somewhere-else

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment