UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
^Misty^
Pokemon Trainer

Was May's character development in the Pokemon anime too rushed?

To me May felt like she got too good at contests way to fast. She seemed pretty much like a Mary Sue type of character and never really struggled much in her contests. It always seems like she passed the appeal rounds without any big problems. I really think that she should have lost in her last Kanto contest tbh, even though Team Rocket and Harley sabotaged her appeal, I still think it was unrealistic for her to pass to the next round, when a year or so later in DP Dawn didn't even pass the appeal rounds, not once but twice and she never fell or had any slip ups that May had in her last Kanto contest. Also in the battle rounds, it almost seemed like she always won in some kind of cheap DEM way imo. It really felt like things were always handed to her and she really never had to work much at anything. I honestly would have loved to see her fail in some of the appeal rounds in her contests, especially her last Kanto contest and for her to fail more, so that she could actually learn from her mistakes and grow more as a character.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, see, that's more due to her being a protagonist than anything else. While a newbie, she started off with a lucky share of talent, much like how Ash in the first season won most of his battles. Dawn came in a time where everyone was kinda sick of the always-winning thing, and to be fair her whole angle was kinda that of the underdog (which in exchange meant we got to see her continuously growing, but that's another matter altogether).

Put another way, Contests were a new thing, and so viewers obviously wanted to see more of them, for the novelty if nothing else. If May lost all the time, we wouldn't get to see as many contests episodes. It's true that they _could_ of had her lost yet still followed the contest and the performances of others in it, but that would have required more devotion and development of secondary characters, sadly something few shows attempt.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Seconded the above.

And besides its clear that Dawn and May are two totally different characters with different styles of writing. May had a secondary romance aspect (One that led to me despising roses) and a direct focus on battles, I mean her team looks more serious with Blaziken, Venusaur, Wartortle, and Glaceon. Dawn mostly had to live up to her mother's expectations and had a very direct focus on her teamwork with Ash. While Dawn's was focused for appeals and just cuteness as seen with Piplup, Pachirisu, Buneary, and Togekiss. Like we could say that May's style was mostly Cool, Tough, and Cute. Dawn had a style that consisted of Cute and Beautiful for the most part.

TL;DR: May =/= Dawn and this was a boring May criticism thread.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON