UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Cinccino Servant x Service

The story revolves around the daily lives of employees in a government office building in an unnamed city in Hokkaido. Newcomers Yamagami, Hasebe Yutaka, Miyoshi Saya, and their supervisor Ichimiya Taishi go through the everyday quirks of working at their office. (Adapted from Wikipedia/MAL)

A rather short and unassuming premise turns out to be surprisingly what I consider one of the most charming and pleasant shows of the season. Don't expect epicness or laugh-out-loud humor here (or even attempts at realism), but if you're looking for something nice to relax and just chill to after a hard day's work, grab a drink and pull a chair, and join us for Servant x Service!
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Yamagami: A young woman who has recently joined the civil service. She is surprisingly naďve when it comes to inappropriate office behavior, yet seems well-suited to her job.

Episode 01 spoiler:

Spoiler: show
It's revealed that her full first name is "Lucy Kimiko Akie Airi Shiori Rinne Yoshiho Ayano Tomika Chitose Sanae Mikiko Ichika", often abbreviated as "Lucy (rest omitted)". She became a civil servant in order to take revenge on the sloppy office employee who approved her name.

Yutaka Hasebe: A 3rd generation city employee who's assigned to the 1st section that issues nursing certifications. He boasts many hidden talents, yet is a slacker who will do anything to get out of work. He also tries to get the email addresses of all the women he meets, including coworkers and clients. He likes to tease Yamagami a lot, such as by pulling her cowlick.

Saya Miyoshi: A new hire still in college. She is shy and passive, and works in the 2nd section that handles elderly concerns. This leads to her often having to listen to her clients' rambling.

Megumi Chihaya: One of the senior workers at the department, who looks after the new recruits.

Episode 02 spoiler:

She is an animé otaku, and her major hobby is cosplaying.

Taishi Ichimiya: He is in charge of 1st section of the welfare department and is Hasebe's immediate superior.

Episode 05 spoiler:

It is revealed to everyone's shock that he and Megumi are dating.

Touko: A girl in high school who comes by the office to lecture the workers there on how to do their jobs properly.

Episode 02 spoiler:

Her last name is Ichimiya, making her Taishi's younger sister. She has a brother complex and checks in to make sure there are no girls flirting with him.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Thoughts through episode 03

This isn't exactly a series I'd find suitable for a ton of discussion, but Talon suggested it and I do like the show so why not?

Episode 05:

Tbh I didn't think it was particularly more or less funny than the previous episodes, but it certainly was full of development. (Also noticed the animation was a lot better this week.)

I was inclined to think it must be Hasebe's sister from the beginning (plus I read some speculation that's who it was), so Talon's "ZOMG" post is really what made me question that. XP Thanks, you had me going there for a second.

Given the confirmation that everyone in Hasebe's family is happy-go-lucky, I'm leaning heavily towards another piece of speculation I saw: Hasebe's father or another member of his family approved Lucy's name.

Also Hasebe with glasses and hairpins kawaiidesu. <3 (He could totally pull off pretending to be a girl. XP) Loved the immediate closing of the door and rearranging his appearance. So even he can feel awkward and self-conscious (as further evidenced by his thoughts and behavior when sitting in the room)... Also looking forward to his sister putting him in more tough spots ufufu.

Bet Talon enjoyed the Senran Kagura reference. ;O

Moving on to the other major reveal this episode... Ichimiya and Chiyaha are dating. Um, wow. Guess that's a pretty big shocker. Don't really know what else to say about that, other than I'd say Ichimiya's lucky to get a girl who doesn't really seem to care much about anything other than cosplay. XP Why am I not surprised she wouldn't dump him for choosing to celebrate his sister's Birthday on Christmas Eve when she herself is ditching for Comiket? ^^;
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

Nothing to add yet, just that Lucy made a cameo appearance in last week's Watamote!

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Nothing to add yet, just that Lucy made a cameo appearance in last week's Watamote!

Oh wow, did not notice that Easter egg. The magazine has the name verbatim on the cover: サーバントXサービス, right there, no mistake. That's gotta be with permission. Pretty cool.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Huh. I literally just finished watching Watamote too. ^^;
Old 08-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 06:

Decent episode. Miyoshi's a beauty and Lucy has dem boobies, but eye candy aside it was like a 7/10 episode, I guess. Good but not great. Nothing near the hilarity of last week's.

As for this week's Servant Quiz, I have no idea. @_@ From Touko's comment I figured it had to be an easy puzzle along the lines of "kanji A + box = kanji E", but a quick dictionary search seems to suggest that none of the characters provided can go inside of the encircling box. ^_^; I did a Google search for (no quotes) "徳 凶 性 夢 漢字パズル" and couldn't find any answers immediately evident on the phone. (And since I am surfing via phone, I avoided clicking 99% of the returned hits. ^^; ) So I decided to turn to Twitter to see what people were saying there. Aaaaaand ... well ...

Quote:
やべぇサバクイズわからんなんだこれ #サバサビ
"Shiiiit. I can't figure out the Servant Quiz. What the heck is this? #servantquiz
Quote:
塔子ちゃんのサバクイズ(クロスワード)は2秒で解けました。(ドヤァ(ミアァ
"Touko-chan's Servant Quiz (crossword), I solved it in 2 seconds. (DOYAa (MIAa"
Quote:
くそう!またサバクイズわかんなかった!!
"Shit! Once again I couldn't solve the Servant Quiz!!"
Quote:
今週のサバクイズはわかった!!!!!すっきり(*^o^*)
"I figured out this week's Servant Quiz!!!!! Oh thank God ^-^ / I'm so relieved ^-^ / I feel so much better now ^-^"

So yeah. Some natives boast it's easy, some natives boast it's hard but solvable, and some natives can't solve it period. Huh. ^^; So yeah, 1) don't feel bad if you can't get it, and 2) I guess it's a crossword puzzle?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Episode 06:

Decent episode. Miyoshi's a beauty and Lucy has dem boobies, but eye candy aside it was like a 7/10 episode, I guess. Good but not great. Nothing near the hilarity of last week's.

As for this week's Servant Quiz, I have no idea. @_@ From Touko's comment I figured it had to be an easy puzzle along the lines of "kanji A + box = kanji E", but a quick dictionary search seems to suggest that none of the characters provided can go inside of the encircling box. ^_^; I did a Google search for (no quotes) "徳 凶 性 夢 漢字パズル" and couldn't find any answers immediately evident on the phone. (And since I am surfing via phone, I avoided clicking 99% of the returned hits. ^^; ) So I decided to turn to Twitter to see what people were saying there. Aaaaaand ... well ...

"Shiiiit. I can't figure out the Servant Quiz. What the heck is this? #servantquiz

"Touko-chan's Servant Quiz (crossword), I solved it in 2 seconds. (DOYAa (MIAa"

"Shit! Once again I couldn't solve the Servant Quiz!!"

"I figured out this week's Servant Quiz!!!!! Oh thank God ^-^ / I'm so relieved ^-^ / I feel so much better now ^-^"

So yeah. Some natives boast it's easy, some natives boast it's hard but solvable, and some natives can't solve it period. Huh. ^^; So yeah, 1) don't feel bad if you can't get it, and 2) I guess it's a crossword puzzle?
I recall the first episode's quiz was something like "which of these is the most prevalent: A) marriage papers B) birth papers C) [something]" and the answer was marriage papers, as they weigh the most on a scale. And knowing Touko's character, this week's quiz is some nit-pick thing or in the lines of "RDRR for math nerds" for civil servants.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 06:

Another enjoyable episode. For me the series is pretty stable in its level of entertainment. It's just a pleasant ride every week. <3

Glad to see Miyoshi getting some development, was starting to feel she's been neglected for a while. Curious as to what Hasebe's relationship to Tanaka is. He couldn't be her grandson since he's not a banker... Unless maybe he was lying to her? Hm...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Episode 06:

Another enjoyable episode. For me the series is pretty stable in its level of entertainment. It's just a pleasant ride every week. <3

Glad to see Miyoshi getting some development, was starting to feel she's been neglected for a while. Curious as to what Hasebe's relationship to Tanaka is. He couldn't be her grandson since he's not a banker... Unless maybe he was lying to her? Hm...
Regarding Hasebe and people whose family name is Tanaka ...

My first thought, and the only thought I had while watching the episode, was that he went to school with a Tanaka, that this Tanaka was male, and that he had a very gung ho, uptight 'n' upright personality. Sort of like the character archetype that Ishimaru is meant to represent in Dangan Ronpa. So he's allergic to Tanakas because Tanakas (particularly his Tanaka) are like water to his oil. They're all natural hard workers whereas he just wants to goof off.

My second thought, and one which only just now occurred to me, is that Tanaka might be an ex-girlfriend of Hasebe's. And that she might specifically end up being Granny Tanaka's granddaughter (whether the banker's sister or cousin, who knows. Presumably his sister).
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't clear my search field in my Twitter client from last time, so when I loaded it up just now it informed me that five new tweets had been made with the word サバクイズ in them. I decided to take a look and ... why am I not surprised at people?

Quote:
今回のサバクイズはわかりやすいが...ww
"This time's Servant Quiz was easy to figure out ... lolol"
Quote:
サバクイズむずすぎ
"servant quiz is too hard"

People boasting it's easy, people with the courage to admit that it's hard. Oh people.

Anyway, one user offers a guess, so I suppose I'll spoiler tag it in the off chance that any of you were trying to solve this yourselves. (EDIT: I just checked the site and her guess is confirmed to be correct.)

Quote:
サバクイズの答え=悪?
"The answer to the servant quiz = Bad/Evil?"

The idea, apparently, isn't so much that it was a crossword puzzle or that it was a kanji morphing puzzle. All you were supposed to do was find a character which could be put in that box and then used to make a two-character word with each of the respective characters, order conserved. So you get with 悪 ...

凶悪(P); 兇悪 【きょうあく】 (adj-na) atrocious; fiendish; brutal; villainous
性悪 【しょうわる; せいあく】 (adj-na,n) ill-natured; inconstancy
悪夢 【あくむ】 (n) nightmare; bad dream
悪徳 【あくとく】 (adj-na,n,adj-no) vice; immorality; corruption

I knew 悪夢 but I didn't know the other three words. The More You Know!™
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've been keeping up with this show myself, but finding things to say about every episode is fairly difficult. I enjoy the show well enough. It's not screamingly funny or anything, but it's entertaining.

For this week's episode, like the rest of the show, not great, but not bad either. I was sort of looking forward to an episode about timid Haruka.

One thing I find amusing is the little sections at the end. They're probably not supposed to be funny, but I can't help but giggle at that song and fast talking little cute heads at the end of every episode. It almost feels like unintended mockery.

If I were to compare this to Working, I'd say I like Working better. I do prefer the fact that every character in Servant X Service is an adult, but Working's cast is more memorable, and I like the comedy better. I guess you could say it's wackier.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Episode 7 spoiler
Oh shit! Free ending!

Anyway, this week's episode was pretty good. The freaking desk jump scene was great. Good job A-1!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 07 today myself.

It was a pretty good episode. The show continues to be a pleasant surprise, though I feel like things've calmed down again a notch since Episode 05.

One thing I was disappointed by was how the author had Touko's best friend (the department chief's daughter) warm up to Chihaya so soon. I feel like that could've been milked a lot longer. I also feel like Touko's friend had some very valid points about how Chihaya is preeeeeetty much treating Touko like an idiot. Whether Touko is in fact an idiot is neither here nor there: it's rude to treat someone like an idiot, and if that someone happens to be your friend, you stand up for them! All it took from Chihaya was a simple "I like both of the Ichimiyas" for Touko's friend to back off. Didn't seem natural.

One thing I liked though was how the author maintained some vagueness with Tanaka (the grandson)'s and Hasebe's past relationship. It wasn't really clear to what extent Tanaka disliked Hasebe and to what extent he wanted to get in Hasebe's pants. It wasn't clear to what extent Hasebe had wronged Tanaka (e.g. sweeping one of Tanaka's crushes off of her feet) and to what extent they had simply had a positive and healthy rivalry. We got enough clues and info that it felt real while were denied enough that there's still some intrigue left. I will be disappointed though if Tanaka (the grandson) is just a loser but for his huge sense of responsibility. Like Miyoshi noted, responsibility seems to be the only thing that Tanaka (the matriarch) mentions as a plus about her grandson.

Not too much Lucy this week. I guess they figured all of the boob smushes we got in Episode 06 were enough for two weeks!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
If I were to compare this to Working, I'd say I like Working better. I do prefer the fact that every character in Servant X Service is an adult, but Working's cast is more memorable, and I like the comedy better. I guess you could say it's wackier.
I'm curious about Working! since I hear it's by the same author. May check it out at some point.

Anyway, another cute and fun episode.

Liked seeing Chihaya without her hairclips. Ichimiya is really dense, isn't he? Wonder what does she see in him?

Poor Hasebe having to deal with dense Lucy too. Get a clue, girl!

Lol @ the desk jump scene. Like Talon I'm also entertained and frustrated by the fact they're still keeping us in the dark as to what the exact relationship between Hasebe and Tanaka is. Give the fangirls a chance to fantasize, eh?

Speaking of which, the ending (both before and after the ED) was great.

Quote:
Watched Episode 07 today myself.

One thing I was disappointed by was how the author had Touko's best friend (the department chief's daughter) warm up to Chihaya so soon. I feel like that could've been milked a lot longer. I also feel like Touko's friend had some very valid points about how Chihaya is preeeeeetty much treating Touko like an idiot. Whether Touko is in fact an idiot is neither here nor there: it's rude to treat someone like an idiot, and if that someone happens to be your friend, you stand up for them! All it took from Chihaya was a simple "I like both of the Ichimiyas" for Touko's friend to back off. Didn't seem natural.
She has a stuffed rabbit for a dad. I doubt anything about her behavior would be natural. *shot*
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 12:

Ano Hana, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Monogatari cosplays spotted! (Was the outfit Chiyaha was working on Madoka's?)

So it's confirmed that Hasebe's dad is the one who approved Lucy's name... Can't say I didn't see that coming.

P.S. Lucy is cute in a skirt. <3 Also yay Ichimiya being a caring boyfriend for once.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episodes 08 and 09. Enjoyed both. This series has really surprised me with how its originally cardboard cutout-feeling characters have all actually become real people. Especially Hasebe. Not much to say without simply recapping the plots, but I guess I will at least say how Lucy was pretty cute in both episodes and ...

it's been interesting seeing this softer, more vulnerable side of Hasebe.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 10. Very pleasant.

I liked how Chihaya was finally going to explain to Touko that she's dating her older brother. I disliked that, stereotypically, Chihaya's confession was misunderstood by Touko. I liked though how Servant x Service tried to give this old cliche their own unique spin. Never seen the other party misunderstand because of sleepiness from studying for college entrance exams.

I liked how the author managed to have Miyoshi go on a dinner date with Tanaka the Grandson while maintaining Miyoshi's recently developed dislike of the guy. Disappointed she dislikes him / he's so unappealing as husband material, but I like at least that he's not 100% out of the running yet. 98%, maybe ^^;, but not 100%.

Kanon's visit to the department was cute, as is Kanon. The development towards the end with Touko and the section chief was funny; it was funniest when Touko was sobbing over having broken everybody psychologically.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 11 as well.

The bit where Lucy discovers that her workplace has a library on the ground floor was hilarious. "Will I ever be able to return from such a land of dreams? :'D" indeed.

The bit with the girl and the bunny dolls was pretty good. I felt bad for the section chief though. ^^;

The rooftop scene with Lucy and Hasebe was interesting but for the fact that it's so damn cliche in school life anime that, seeing it here, it felt cliche too. ^^; Especially when Hasebe noted to himself that he'd found "the first girl I ever fell in love with" or some such. I mean, even if that's true and all of his previous feelings for women haven't been as strong as his feelings for Lucy, a) can he really say he loves her at this point? and b) I have such a hard time buying it. ^^; Surely he had at least one girl in middle school or high school who he felt he loved (even if it was at the level of what most would consider infatuation). Surely Lucy isn't the first woman he's been more interested in having a long term relationship with than a simple string of sexy romps.

Miyoshi is so pretty.

Miyoshi's date with Tanaka the Grandson ended up being a little humorous and a little surprising. :o I hadn't been expecting her to like him this soon and this easily after how much she'd decided she hated him in previous episodes. Eventually, sure, maybe, but not this soon and not this easily! And more specifically, I didn't expect such a change to be the result of, as the anime put it, the fact that Tanaka's only annoying when he talks about Hasebe. That was surprising. Makes me wonder if, should Tanaka x Miyoshi become a thing, Miyoshi might actually find herself disliking Hasebe as the series progresses. I mean, she's clearly fine with him right now, but I wonder if she'll be conditioned to dislike mere mention of his name given what that does to Tanaka.

I didn't notice this until Episode 09, and I didn't confirm it for myself until just now, but apparently the end song of Episodes 01-04 was sung by Lucy, of 05-08 by Miyoshi, and of 09-11 (and I presume 12 as well) by Chihaya. This is indicated by which of the three women we get to see after the initial bit where the glasses are all filled. You may have noticed this immediately but I didn't. In fact, I didn't even notice it at 09 because of Chihaya's voice actress: I noticed it just by pure chance because of finally noticing the bit where the silhouette of only one woman rotates. I went back right now to confirm that my theory was right and ... discovered that, at least to my ears, I really would never have been able to tell that the ending was being sung by one of three different women each time. All three performances sound so similar to me!

EDIT: Relistening to it again ... I can't tell them apart period. Increasingly certain that it's the same singer all three times. But if so, why the difference between which woman's silhouette rotates to reveal the woman in 01-04, 05-08, and 09-12? Strange.

EDIT 2: Listening to it again, I can tell the difference between Version 3 and Version 2. Can't tell Version 1 apart from the other two though. Also ... looked at the credits. And it says right there that the different versions are indeed sung by the different ladies' voice actresses. >_< Man! I seriously have a hard time telling them apart, particularly in the final bit of the song!

Last edited by Talon87; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quadruple post because I just saw Episode 12 and no one else has posted yet.

Once again, Servant x Service proves to be a fun little treat. It's nothing super epic amazing or anything -- at least it isn't for me -- but I enjoy it quite nicely and feel bad that I put it on hold as long as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Episode 12:

Ano Hana, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Monogatari cosplays spotted! (Was the outfit Chiyaha was working on Madoka's?)

So it's confirmed that Hasebe's dad is the one who approved Lucy's name... Can't say I didn't see that coming.

P.S. Lucy is cute in a skirt. <3 Also yay Ichimiya being a caring boyfriend for once.
Yeah, the moment they began to ...

... hint at the revelation, I was like, "Yuki's called this since like Episode 03, and I've agreed with her since then. Ready to not be surprised in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...!" I don't remember exactly when you called it, but it feels like it was something you called either a) the moment we learned Hasebe's father was also someone who had worked for the government at some point (if not also still currently) or else b) even before that was revealed, funnily enough. A or B, I can't remember, but it's been at least since Episode 05 bare minimum, I wanna say. And the moment you called it seemed so, so obvious too. I think it was around this same time that we learned (via Kaoru) that all of the Hasebes are kind of like this, and that Hasebe himself is the least Hasebe-like of the family, implying that his father would've been even more likely to approve a name like Lucy's without considering the negative impact it might have on the poor child.

Lucy's skirt was a heck of a lot less short than I expected it to be. I can't imagine that, were I a woman, I'd be embarrassed to wear a skirt that just barely fails to reach the knees. Maybe it's different for girls, or maybe it's different because skirts are much more open than shorts or pants, but I've worn standard boys and mens shorts (which are almost all cut off above the knee) pretty much my entire life in the summer months, so I don't think I'd feel that a skirt which nearly makes it to the knees was "too short." That stated, I can appreciate how the game changes once you sit down! :\ Maybe that's why she was embarrassed to wear it, I dunno. 'Cause obviously at that point, anything shorter than your knees is going to offer you next to no protection from exposing your crotch once you sit down.

Felt like the author toyed with us one too many times with Chihaya and Touko this episode. ^^; The moment they were out on that "date" together and Touko broached the topic of her older brother having a girlfriend, and what's more she really didn't seem that bent out of shape about the possibility, that was when Chihaya should've just gone for it and been like, "Touko, y'see ..." and told her. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy romcom misunderstandings as much as the next School Rumble fan , but like, when the author actually had Touko bringing up the topic herself, I felt like, "This is it! Here it comes! " Especially after we'd seen Miyoshi and Tanaka the Grandson making such rapid progress in their storyline. Oh well.

So many wonderful series are wrapping up this season. Genshiken Nidaime for who knows how many years. Rozen Maiden likewise (though it had better come back this winter! ) Even Gin no Saji's going on hiatus until January. You can add Servant x Service to the list of shows I'll be sad to see prematurely end this autumn. I've come to like this little cast of characters and look forward to seeing them again soon. For now, I'll content myself that I get one last chance to enjoy them before the season's over.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I didn't notice this until Episode 09, and I didn't confirm it for myself until just now, but apparently the end song of Episodes 01-04 was sung by Lucy, of 05-08 by Miyoshi, and of 09-11 (and I presume 12 as well) by Chihaya. This is indicated by which of the three women we get to see after the initial bit where the glasses are all filled. You may have noticed this immediately but I didn't. In fact, I didn't even notice it at 09 because of Chihaya's voice actress: I noticed it just by pure chance because of finally noticing the bit where the silhouette of only one woman rotates. I went back right now to confirm that my theory was right and ... discovered that, at least to my ears, I really would never have been able to tell that the ending was being sung by one of three different women each time. All three performances sound so similar to me!
I forget when, but I noticed this a while ago. Chiyaha's a little easier to tell apart from the others due to the slight rasp and lower register, but I agree they sound pretty similar.

Quote:
Lucy's skirt was a heck of a lot less short than I expected it to be. I can't imagine that, were I a woman, I'd be embarrassed to wear a skirt that just barely fails to reach the knees. Maybe it's different for girls, or maybe it's different because skirts are much more open than shorts or pants, but I've worn standard boys and mens shorts (which are almost all cut off above the knee) pretty much my entire life in the summer months, so I don't think I'd feel that a skirt which nearly makes it to the knees was "too short." That stated, I can appreciate how the game changes once you sit down! :\ Maybe that's why she was embarrassed to wear it, I dunno. 'Cause obviously at that point, anything shorter than your knees is going to offer you next to no protection from exposing your crotch once you sit down.
I don't wear skirts (or shorts for that matter) for several reasons, so I can't really comment personally. Lucy seems particularly squeamish about modesty though. (Which made the preview for episode 12 kinda weird, assuming whatever she was "wearing" underneath was by her own volition.)
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Just watched the last episode of this. I can't really say I liked or disliked the events of the final episode. It wasn't bad, but I didn't feel much in the way of positive feelings either. For the series itself, it wasn't anything grand, but it had its funny moments. Though they did repetitively shove the humor down your throat at times. This show seems like it's better as something marathoned. Afterall, they love those cliffhanger endings. I guess this show gets a 6.5 from me.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Whoops, forgot to post about this myself yesterday. Watched the final episode of the season too.

It definitely felt like a mostly-manga-faithful made-for-TV season finale. It felt like it was 90% material from the manga but unlike usual episodes which feel like they use (say) "1 gallon's worth" of manga material, this one felt like it was only using half a gallon's worth. In other words, it felt noticeably stretched out / stalling for time, and I suspect that that's because where they chose to have the episode end is the best possible place in case this project is never renewed for a second season.

Here's hoping we get a chance to meet up again with a second season. Only time will tell.

Plot: 5/10 Pretty average, hilarity excepted.

Characters: 6/10 Likewise.

Comedy: 7/10 overall, with some 8/10 or higher moments every once in a while

Animation: 6/10 Fair.

Music: 5/10 but for a really catchy OP, so 6/10

Replay Value: dunno, probably fair

OVERALL: 7/10 because of the comedy. I know the other numbers don't seem to add up to this nice of a score. But I feel like the show's earned its 7, though I could see myself giving it a 6 some other day.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Oh, I forgot to mention something. Are Lucy and Hasabe the same age? If so, one of the explanations in the last episode doesn't make much sense (or atleast it wasn't animated to make sense).
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I got the impression that Lucy was the same age as or older than Hasebe ...

... meaning that you're absolutely right that the author goofed with the whole "Hasebe's dad was worried about him in the hospital with his fever, and so ..." explanation for why Hasebe's father approved Lucy's name.

Could be wrong of course. All I remember for certain is that Miyoshi is the youngest of the rookie trio.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime