UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #2651
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

A close battle vs. a cool team (LC, 23 turns)
Spoiler: show
I came into this battle thinking it'd be a pretty clean sweep; his setup was pretty non-standard for LC and largely caught me off guard, Shell Smash Shellder in particular. Unlike his big brother, Shellder is not a terribly popular smasher since SturdyJuice users like the sea turtle are much more potent. I misplayed pretty stupidly and lost my Foongus early, but regained momentum with Snubbull. It was just enough for me to finish up the battle, with only two Pokémon to take out four.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #2652
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

LC = Berry Juice City Bitch
Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #2653
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Yeah Berry Juice basically makes or breaks the game in LC. It was banned in previous gens but now that Eviolite is a thing it's sorta-kinda balanced in a weird way.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #2654
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Rotom for MVP? (Random Battle, 38 turns)
Not much to say really, plays were made here and there which helped. This was right after someone decided to run the clock down on Dugtrio vs. Wobbuffet.

Saving Wormadam proved quite useful as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #2655
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Rotom is good
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #2656
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Lady luck is on my side \o/

My opponent was Smogmog, and I recognized his name because the was near the top of the ladder xd; Hooray for Crustle!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #2657
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
What happened to Volt Absorb?

Not the most impressive match, I did little but bring in powerhouses like Volcarona and Kyurem-B to smash through his team.

But then turn 21 happens. Shouldn't his Thundurus-T have absorbed my Fusion Bolt? I don't think it made much of an impact on the match, but it's an issue that might need addressed for the future.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #2658
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dancing around Lilligant. (Random Battle, 28 turns)

Anyone who's ever laddered in Random Battle will tell you that Lilligant is one of those Pokémon you absolutely cannot allow a free turn to. She must never be allowed a safe switch-in; or else, she must be somehow prevented from doing her thing once she does switch in; otherwise, you're going to give her a free turn to Sleep Powder / Quiver Dance and you're mostly likely going to lose the game right then and there. Pokémon with Sap Sipper and no natural weaknesses to Lilligant's most common Hidden Power types are powerful allies. So too are faster Pokémon with Taunt. (You see such an example in this battle.) But yeah. You cannot, must not give Lilligant a free turn to switch in and start setting up. Otherwise you're going to lose.

This common knowledge to Random Battle veterans characterizes the first half of the match. You can read between the lines if you're experienced enough to see how my opponent keeps trying to produce scenarios which will buy him a safe Lilligant switch-in while I, meanwhile, am trying my best to both counter his current threat on the field as well as not give him that opening to bring Lilligant back out. Once I see my opportunity in Deoxys-S, I seize it: I deliberately use Psycho Boost to not only deal colossal damage to the enemy but to also lure Lilligant back out. And back out she comes, allowing me to "SURPRISE! " Taunt her for free and then switch out to someone who can deal better damage than a de-powered Deoxys-S.

To be perfectly honest, my opponent's greatest mistake in the match comes on Turn 1: his decision to call Lilligant back immediately rather than staying the fuck put and using either Sleep Powder or Quiver Dance against Aegislash. It's easier for me to judge this as an error with my full knowledge of my team's contents; looking at it from my opponent's POV, we can see how the play has Random Battle wisdom attached to it. Remember what I said before: one of the best answers to Lilligant is a Sap Sipper. Sap Sippers are somewhere between common and uncommon (but definitely not rare) in Random Battle. And so the odds that I might have a Sap Sipper on my team and that he might be powering me up if he were to use Sleep Powder probably put him off. Furthermore, Lilligant's Petal Dance is resisted by Aegislash, so while the 1v1 match-up is still probably in Lilligant's favor, Aegislash -- he might have worried -- would still be able to do some decent damage meanwhile. Unbeknownst to him though, my Aegislash had a shit moveset for dealing with a Lilligant: Autotomize [/yeahnothanks], Sacred Sword, Shadow Claw, and King's Shield. Dreadful. Had he Quiver Danced up on Turn 1, there wouldn't have been much I could've done. I mean, I Shadow Clawed out of sheer desperation (and to gauge how much damage I could expect to deal). But I would've been forced to sacrifice Aegislash to Lilligant in exchange for two paltry hits; and then who would I have sent out? Probably Typhlosion. Who would've been outsped and probably died to a lol-3x-or-4x-boosted Petal Dance.

Aside from that, I think we both played pretty well and sort of like dancing partners. Again, he kept trying to create opportunities for Lilligant to come out, I kept denying him.

The second half of the match saw some minor hax which affected us in roughly equal proportion. He gets "haxed" that Fire Blast doesn't miss Lilligant (... but it shouldn't really , it has 85% accuracy), I get "haxed" when it ends up missing twice out of four or five total uses (again, not unreasonable really but still disappointing), he gets haxed once when Stone Edge misses and never lands a critical even when it does hit (but again, really, neither of these are all that "haxxy" ...), etc. In the end, strategy prevailed with my Taunt against his Kyurem-W sealing the game for Team Zuisho.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #2659
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Haymez

Kyurem-B shares Terravolt with Zekrom. Along with Reshiram/Kyruem-W's Turboblaze, this is basically a Mould Breaker clone, so opposing Abilities that affect incoming attacks are negated.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #2660
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
>Haymez

Kyurem-B shares Terravolt with Zekrom. Along with Reshiram/Kyruem-W's Turboblaze, this is basically a Mould Breaker clone, so opposing Abilities that affect incoming attacks are negated.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #2661
Red Panda
head head bitch

Smogon seems to have received a slight design change. Was looking up certain moves (just to read about viability) and it looked much different.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #2662
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Smogon seems to have received a slight design change. Was looking up certain moves (just to read about viability) and it looked much different.
That probably explains why it was down earlier today. I kinda like the new design tbh. Plus we finally have Gen 6 stuff now!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #2663
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ugh. Overdesigned in respects where the old simpler design looked better AND underdesigned in others where the old, more elegant design looked better. DOUBLE LOSE. I went to the Gen V listings to see if I could still see the old site. Nein. Very disappointed.

As is evidenced by all of the "NO OLD BROWSERS PLOX KTHXBYE! " disclaimers everywhere, this redesign was no doubt the baby of someone who is a web design nut looking for excuses to strut his stuff and show the team what he can do. The thing is, sometimes "less is more" and a streamlined, pure-text dex looks a lot nicer than this Java/Flash/whateverthefuckitis display. Too much monitor space is now wasted by spacious visuals. Before, I could expect to see the creature's base stats, abilities, and #1 moveset all on my screen at once. Now, all I can see is this:

Such wasted space. Ironically, it actually looks uglier and less professional like this! It reminds me of early webpages in the mid-to-late 1990s. Or like my own amateur webpage that I had back in college. Such pages tended to look like this, with so much visual real estate wasted. When I land on the page for a given Pokémon, I want to be able to see its base stats, its abilities, and its #1 moveset all on my screen at once. I should not have to scroll down an enitre monitor's worth of space just to see Moveset #1 -- and even then not be able to see all of it at once.

The other thing I've noticed -- but this one i'm neutral on; I like it as much as I dislike it -- is that they've done away with separate pages for separate tiers. Now we appear to have all of a creature's movesets on one page. It falls to you as a reader to not be blind and to notice that the tag say "Doubles" or "OU" in the upper right-hand corner of the moveset. If the new way ensures that players won't mistake RU movesets for OU ones, then I like it. If instead it has the opposite effect, then I dislike it. But I suspect that this problem will vary from person to person, so there's probably not a "right" or a "wrong" answer here. The only reason to have multiple separate pages is when combining them all into one page would make the page insanely long. But I imagine that Smogon's staff wants to behead this particular adder: they're probably trying to trim down on the "moveset cancer" from previous generations, where a creature might have eight different articles for OU and then functional copies of six of those articles for UU, etc, and just say, "Y'know what? Eight is enough. In fact, eight is still too many. Let's identify the four best, different movesets and talk about those. Other movesets which are just minor variants of these four can be discussed in the four's discussion text."
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #2664
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Terrakion is not amused by Vespiquen's shenanigans. (Random Doubles, 8 turns)

My opponent thinks he has the last laugh with a destructive Stantler and impenetrable Vespiquen. But I apply pressure to the bee, forcing it to Roost one turn, and systematically remove the greatest threats to my team -- ironically that Intimidating deer! and also that Earthquaking Altaria -- with help from Terrakion and Vivillon. Terrakion proves surprisingly fast in Random Doubles -- I think it said his speed was 221 or 222, which is faster than it is in Random Singles, I'm almost positive -- and so once he gets up that Swords Dance it's pretty much gg so long as he doesn't miss. By the time Glaceon was sent out, I opted to greedily go for the OHKO via Stone Edge rather than risking an incomplete kill with Earthquake. Was confident I could send in Muk next turn and still win (with help from Vivillon) thanks to Fire Punch.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #2665
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Ugh. Overdesigned in respects where the old simpler design looked better AND underdesigned in others where the old, more elegant design looked better. DOUBLE LOSE. I went to the Gen V listings to see if I could still see the old site. Nein. Very disappointed.

As is evidenced by all of the "NO OLD BROWSERS PLOX KTHXBYE! " disclaimers everywhere, this redesign was no doubt the baby of someone who is a web design nut looking for excuses to strut his stuff and show the team what he can do. The thing is, sometimes "less is more" and a streamlined, pure-text dex looks a lot nicer than this Java/Flash/whateverthefuckitis display. Too much monitor space is now wasted by spacious visuals. Before, I could expect to see the creature's base stats, abilities, and #1 moveset all on my screen at once. Now, all I can see is this:

Such wasted space. Ironically, it actually looks uglier and less professional like this! It reminds me of early webpages in the mid-to-late 1990s. Or like my own amateur webpage that I had back in college. Such pages tended to look like this, with so much visual real estate wasted. When I land on the page for a given Pokémon, I want to be able to see its base stats, its abilities, and its #1 moveset all on my screen at once. I should not have to scroll down an enitre monitor's worth of space just to see Moveset #1 -- and even then not be able to see all of it at once.

The other thing I've noticed -- but this one i'm neutral on; I like it as much as I dislike it -- is that they've done away with separate pages for separate tiers. Now we appear to have all of a creature's movesets on one page. It falls to you as a reader to not be blind and to notice that the tag say "Doubles" or "OU" in the upper right-hand corner of the moveset. If the new way ensures that players won't mistake RU movesets for OU ones, then I like it. If instead it has the opposite effect, then I dislike it. But I suspect that this problem will vary from person to person, so there's probably not a "right" or a "wrong" answer here. The only reason to have multiple separate pages is when combining them all into one page would make the page insanely long. But I imagine that Smogon's staff wants to behead this particular adder: they're probably trying to trim down on the "moveset cancer" from previous generations, where a creature might have eight different articles for OU and then functional copies of six of those articles for UU, etc, and just say, "Y'know what? Eight is enough. In fact, eight is still too many. Let's identify the four best, different movesets and talk about those. Other movesets which are just minor variants of these four can be discussed in the four's discussion text."
WAIT YOU STILL RUN WINDOWS XP
Old 07-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #2666
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Wow I didn't realize how ridiculous new Firefox looks on older OSs.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #2667
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
WAIT YOU STILL RUN WINDOWS XP

Though this should also support your understanding of where I as a person come from when I say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Wow I didn't realize how ridiculous new Firefox looks on older OSs.
Wait, really? :o Pictures? (Though I can just as easily Google, I guess ...)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #2668
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think this looks much better.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 07-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #2669
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If what you're referring to is the fact that you can see your wallpaper through your browser, etc, then I think a lot of that is user choice that I could implement if I wanted to but have chosen not to because ... well, starting off with the wallpaper, I don't even have one. Solid black screen with fewer than twenty desktop icons in total.

Anyway ... this was an amusing off-topic discussion but it is pretty off topic. I'll be happy to continue it elsewhere if we decide we want to further explore the limitations of Talon's Firefox experience.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #2670
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Thank you based Mega Blaziken

Now rank 11, crossing my fingers!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #2671
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Ow... I had one of the most painful games hax wise in my life. It was also a rather important battle to decide the members of our league's Elite 4. My steels vs his electrics. I forgot to save a replay, but here's a rough summary:

Toxic Miss
Lava Plume failing to burn 5 times in a row.
Thunderpunch paralyzing my final pokemon on the first shot and then being locked up 3 turns in a row costing me the win.
Other important paralyse lock-ups.

Gahhh my luck has always been poor, but that was painful.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #2672
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
Ow... I had one of the most painful games hax wise in my life. It was also a rather important battle to decide the members of our league's Elite 4. My steels vs his electrics. I forgot to save a replay, but here's a rough summary:

Toxic Miss
Lava Plume failing to burn 5 times in a row.
Thunderpunch paralyzing my final pokemon on the first shot and then being locked up 3 turns in a row costing me the win.
Other important paralyse lock-ups.

Gahhh my luck has always been poor, but that was painful.
Story of my life
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2673
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
You can see the first set when it's not a Pokémon with a mega forme :P

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #2674
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I like how the stats' color bars are all missing except for HP in your very sample meant to get me off of their web designer's back.

And my point still stands: mega or no mega, it's foolish to waste so much space like they have done. In answer to your own point about "Well you can still see the first set for non-Megas ", yes: and they can reproduce that for the megas by making it where the mega form is shown when you hover over the base form. (Something I would normally not like but since they're wanting to do newfangled HTML 5 shenanigans anyway then they may as well go the full mile and make the page actually look competently designed.)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #2675
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Yeah, I had to update Chrome and now it displays fine. Oh well, agree to disagree, I guess. I like the new look~ Although I wish they had VGC instead of just Smogon Doubles as a search option.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON