UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Drum Corps International and Marching Band

DRUM CORPS INTERNATIONAL
(in layman's terms, marching band on steroids without woodwinds)

I know for a fact we have at least a few band kids on UPN and I'm willing to assume that most or all of them are DCI fans. I want to talk about DCI. I want to vent about DCI. Hence, DCI thread.

For those of you not in the know here's some videos of some shows:

Last year's champions, Carolina Crown:

Spoiler: show
BORKED

Blue Devils 1989:

BORKED

2011 champs, The Cadets:

BORKED

Also this thread can be used to talk about marching band for those still in high school; competitions, videos of other bands, videos of YOUR band, what you play, etc. etc.

Let's start with: What do you play and what is your favorite DCI corps?

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

I started band my sophomore year. I had never been in a band before, I had only played piano on and off for a couple of years. I joined during the middle of band camp and played marimba that year. Then I learned clarinet and was planning to march clarinet junior year, because I wanted to be drum major senior year, but things happened and then it was decided that it would be better for the band if I stayed in pit and was pit section leader. My band director said he would give me an equal shot at drum major if I was pit section leader if I proved myself. Then at finals, our percussion scored a 96, highest in the state even though we're only a AA band, and everyone knew it was because of pit, not drumline. Our drumline last year was shit. So now next year I'm gonna be drum major. I play clarinet for concert season and I'm second chair.

Favorite corps is Santa Clara Vanguard.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

Very very very cool subject.

I'm a fan of the Cadets. They're centered in Allentown, which is only like an hour away from where I live, went to their home show this summer. It was my first time seeing DCI live and I fell in love with it even more. The Cadets 2011 show you linked... gets me every time I see it. Their show sampled parts of Frank Tichelli's "Angels in the Architecture" which we played in concert band last year or the year before. I cry every time. No really. However, it's not my favorite show ever. Gotta give that to Phantom Regiment 2008(?) with "I Am Spartacus." Most kick-ass show I've ever seen, just beating out "Angels and Demons" for me. Oh yeah and before I forget I always love watching the Carolina Crown show you linked again. The "Einsten on the Beach" sample at the beginning makes my heart fluttery hehe.

EDIT: Oh yeah fun fact my band director marched for the Crossmen in the early 80s. I'm unsure of the years exactly but I know for a fact he marched in '81 as the second trumpet.

About me personally, I don't do marching band because of water polo but I am in my school's indoor drumline. Started out playing auxiliary in 8th grade, played xylophone the last two years and now I'm lead Vibraphone my junior year.

All the indoor stuff has led me to be a huge WGI fan as well as DCI, so I figured I'd bring that up here. I'm a huge huge huge Rhythm X fan. I'd link them if I wasn't on my phone but Rhythm X 2009 and 2010 shows are both required viewing.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I was in Marching Band in High School. I played the Sousaphone.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment