UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Arnold
Just call me sir

Scribblenuauts

I'm shocked there's no thread or posts about this upcoming epic of a game

Trailer: 1 2

Idea of the game is...your maxwell, and you've got to grab the Starlite, you do that by writing any Noun into the game and helping Maxwell solve the puzzle, there's about a 10,000 word dictionary in game (something like that anyway)

Previews:
Eurogamer
Joystiq

Memorable review

Quote:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEUbtgpIgo

and for the lulz

Keyboard Cat (and Astley..I think)

Longcat

other meme's that have popped up is the LOLwut pear, FTW, C'thulu, not sure what else yet.

Developer Walkthrough

But I am hyped up like a Mother fucker for this, Can't wait to just delve in and start wording it up, it's got a level creator as well that you can share over Wi-fi, so you can make your own puzzle levels and send them around, make them as hard or as easy as you want too, can't bloody wait.

Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Oh wow. I heard about this game ages ago but I didn't think it would be this awesome. I'll be getting it for sure.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."
Wow. That's dedication right there. That is completely awesome.

For those who don't know what that is... (it's also that green thing in the Sims).
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
and for the lulz
IS THAT A GODDAMN MAD CAT

FUCK YEAH MAD CAT
Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Also, post 217 immortalized in art for posterity:

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
IS THAT A GODDAMN MAD CAT

FUCK YEAH MAD CAT
HQHRlkaojfnueanwrjlaweugjlsdkandfakfjodsijafunqwul fnkjzdskbhfcndsalkvjvkJB MAD CAT111!
Sciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Vran
Cascade Badge

This is pretty ironic, but I have to ask: what is a 'Mad Cat' The grumpy kitty doesn't know mecha despite sleeping on an Akiba sign post five days a week.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
This is pretty ironic, but I have to ask: what is a 'Mad Cat' The grumpy kitty doesn't know mecha despite sleeping on an Akiba sign post five days a week.
You're a nerdy college student who has never heard of Battletech/Mechwarrior? Hang your head in shame.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Vran
Cascade Badge

I only know the name "MechWarrior" from a friend who used to play it in the 1990s. I remember there being a big to-do about the franchise's release on the original XBox with its pricey controller. Other than that? I fail to see why I'm called to hang my head in shame for not knowing that a 'Mad Cat' is a unit from 'MechWarrior.' It can't be that famous of a game if only one of many friends have even breathed its name. Either that, or I can't be as nerdy as you think me to be. Take your pick: MechWarrior's fame or my faux nerdiness.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Quote:
I only know the name "MechWarrior" from a friend who used to play it in the 1990s. I remember there being a big to-do about the franchise's release on the original XBox with its pricey controller. Other than that? I fail to see why I'm called to hang my head in shame for not knowing that a 'Mad Cat' is a unit from 'MechWarrior.' It can't be that famous of a game if only one of many friends have even breathed its name. Either that, or I can't be as nerdy as you think me to be. Take your pick: MechWarrior's fame or my faux nerdiness.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, still not done. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Get new friends. If all your friends were into omg japnese gamez during the time of MechWarrior/BattleTech, then no, they wouldn't have heard of it. Seriously, it's the seminal series in the giant mech department.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Lady Kuno

I wasn't a huge fan but god damn even I've played these games before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWar...o_game_series)

Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciz View Post
Seriously, it's the seminal series in the giant mech department.
You just hit the nail on the head there, Cletus. The seminal work in an obscure, underrepresented video game genre in the Western world. What did we play as kids? Pac-Man, Centipede Millipede, Super Mario Bros, and AfterBurner. Those were our games. I grew up surrounded by Carmen Sandiego, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Myst, and Sim City on the computer. Do you remember the Nintendo floor mat button pad? My friend Anthony owned that and we'd mash our way through NES games. How about the Virtual Boy? You ever held one of those? My friend Sean got one in the mid-'90s.

Before we get into a dumb fanboy argument over "gamer cred," let me save us both the trouble and say that I have gamer credibility and I remain emphatic in my stance that MechWarrior is not a very famous game. I would challenge you to find out if even 1 out of every 5 gamers owned a single solitary mecha game prior to 1999. It would be only too easy for me to show you 1 in 5, 2 in 5, or 4 in 5 gamers who respectively owned copies of Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros., or Tetris.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
How about the Virtual Boy? You ever held one of those? My friend Sean got one in the mid-'90s.
Proud owner of one. Tennis was good, but the Warioland was a substantial disappointment.

Quote:
Before we get into a dumb fanboy argument over "gamer cred," let me save us both the trouble and say that I have gamer credibility and I remain emphatic in my stance that MechWarrior is not a very famous game. I would challenge you to find out if even 1 out of every 5 gamers owned a single solitary mecha game prior to 1999. It would be only too easy for me to show you 1 in 5, 2 in 5, or 4 in 5 gamers who respectively owned copies of Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros., or Tetris.
This is the game. If you played computer games in the midnineties, this was one of the games that you played. I would never compare it to Tetris, Mario, Sonic or the like, but well above the Earthworm Jim tier. And I think you'd find one out of five would have owned/played this game.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

Anyway, I was born in the early '90s, so I've never heard of that game until this thread.

Scribblenauts looks cool though =o
Old 06-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Quote:
You just hit the nail on the head there, Cletus. The seminal work in an obscure, underrepresented video game genre in the Western world. What did we play as kids? Pac-Man, Centipede Millipede, Super Mario Bros, and AfterBurner. Those were our games. I grew up surrounded by Carmen Sandiego, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Myst, and Sim City on the computer. Do you remember the Nintendo floor mat button pad? My friend Anthony owned that and we'd mash our way through NES games. How about the Virtual Boy? You ever held one of those? My friend Sean got one in the mid-'90s.

1 in 5? I'll do you one better, Frink. Reed, Nick, Kuno and I. That's 4 out of 5 :O Why, I think I just took a big, satisfying dump on your challenge. In addition, quite a few of my other friends have played and enjoyed MechWarrior. It isn't obscure; it just wasn't as popular as Mario or Pac-Man, which can be said about a lot of games, but that doesn't mean they're unknown titles. Mario is Maro.

Last edited by Sciz; 06-14-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Vran
Cascade Badge

If you think grabbing four people non-randomly from five is the same thing as "4 out of 5" for all gamers, then you're dumber than I mistook you for. You probably thought you were being cute and taking advantage of the vagueness of the phrase "1 out of 5," but you'll have to try again: and this time, be sure to wear your reading glasses! Because I very clearly wrote "1 out of every 5 gamers." And do you know what that means, Sciz? "1 out of every 5"? It means, "Good job. You just found me 4 people who've played it out of 5 people total. Now keep it up: the world's a big place, and you've got loads more sets of gamers in 5's to poll."

A word of advice? Don't ever sign any documents without having a second party to read the finer print for you. Somehow it's not too difficult for me to imagine you being curbstomped by the hired thugs of a frustrated lender who lost his last ounce of patience with you after you informed him via telephone that the contract said "$1.85 to be repaid for every $1.00 lent" and that your payment of one dollar and eighty-five cents qualified for full repayment of the $5000 you borrowed.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Sciz
GIF Lord General

lol u mad? u mad. Someone's got some salty butthurt, huh? You sure are taking this srsly, aren't ya?

Well, if you want to get technical about it, shnookums, this thread wasn't, to use your formal "everything-I-post-is-a-thesis-paper" terms, a "controlled group," so it was indeed a random poll. I'm sure that with your incredible amount of free-time you would go and find a way to ask all the gamers in your area if they've heard about MechWarrior (Wait, that would involve leaving your mom's basement and exposing yourself to sunlight), but the fact remains that 4 out of the 5 (6 now, if you count Tdos) people who posted in this thread have played the game.

I can certainly imagine you crawling home from your job at a gas station 20 years from now to spoon with your blow-up doll of an anime character before curling up in your own fluids, drinking tea from a Hello Kitty mug and immersing yourself in the idea that if you close your eyes hard enough, you'll wake up in Japan. I can only imagine what your interpersonal skills are like in real life if you are this much of an arrogant prick to everyone on-line, where no one can physically stop you from posting your tl;dr rants. If only your dad hadn't gotten drunk and knocked up that hooker that gave birth to you.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
A word of advice? Don't ever sign any documents without having a second party to read the finer print for you. Somehow it's not too difficult for me to imagine you being curbstomped by the hired thugs of a frustrated lender who lost his last ounce of patience with you after you informed him via telephone that the contract said "$1.85 to be repaid for every $1.00 lent" and that your payment of one dollar and eighty-five cents qualified for full repayment of the $5000 you borrowed.

Quote:
lol u mad? u mad. Someone's got some salty butthurt, huh? You sure are taking this srsly, aren't ya?

Well, if you want to get technical about it, shnookums, this thread wasn't, to use your formal "everything-I-post-is-a-thesis-paper" terms, a "controlled group," so it was indeed a random poll. I'm sure that with your incredible amount of free-time you would go and find a way to ask all the gamers in your area if they've heard about MechWarrior (Wait, that would involve leaving your mom's basement and exposing yourself to sunlight), but the fact remains that 4 out of the 5 (6 now, if you count Tdos) people who posted in this thread have played the game.

I can certainly imagine you crawling home from your job at a gas station 20 years from now to spoon with your blow-up doll of an anime character before curling up in your own fluids, drinking tea from a Hello Kitty mug and immersing yourself in the idea that if you close your eyes hard enough, you'll wake up in Japan. I can only imagine what your interpersonal skills are like in real life if you are this much of an arrogant prick to everyone on-line, where no one can physically stop you from posting your tl;dr rants. If only your dad hadn't gotten drunk and knocked up that hooker that gave birth to you.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Sciz
GIF Lord General

I love you, Reed.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
I should have stopped here. But I didn't. And then I stopped here:

Quote:
this thread wasn't, to use your formal "everything-I-post-is-a-thesis-paper" terms, a "controlled group," so it was indeed a random poll.
The Tale of The Man Who Would Be Raped

Once upon a time, there was a man named Sciz. Sciz named three friends of his, himself, and the person he was arguing with at the time as five random people. He didn't roll a dice. He didn't use an RNG. He claims he just sort of came up with the names "randomly" and, as if by magic, they just happened to be those five particular people.

When the person he was arguing with points out that Sciz's selection was non-random, Sciz says that not only was it a random selection of people from upnetwork.net's webforum but that the webforum's membership were a valid representation of all of gamerdom.

Even though the forum would non-randomly attract Pokemon fans and scare off Pokemon haters.

Even though the forum would naturally attract people who like small boards and scare away people who require busy ones.

Even though the forum is not the top hit on a search engine's list of sites for "pokemon message board" and therefore would require a disproportionately large percentage of persistent websurfers and a disproportionately small percentage of websurfers who easily give up.

Even though the forum is in English, meaning that upnetwork.net's webforum disproportionately attracts gamers who speak English fluently and not gamers who speak English modestly, poorly, or not at all.

And the list goes on, children, for Sciz had made a very stupid move: he had claimed that upnetwork.net was as random as gamerdom itself, and therefore any random selection of people from the forum -- which he had not even done in the very first place -- would be a valid substitute for a truly random survey across the globe of all people who considered themselves gamers before the turn of the century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise
It's time to stop posting.
You have chosen ... poorly.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Once upon a time,

Hurf durf
I like the fact that you lambast Sciz for basing the relative popularity of the Mechwarrior series on an invalid "random sampling" yet argue that Mechwarrior can't possibly be a popular/noteworthy series based on the knowledge/experience/preferences of your non-random group of friends.

Last edited by Blastoise; 06-14-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Quote:
I should have stopped here. But I didn't. And then I stopped here:

Derp derp

You have chosen ... poorly.
All aboard the flail-boat.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Sounds AMAZING.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
Vran
Cascade Badge

You tell me, then: did every child in the 1990s have a Nintendo in his home? A Sega Genesis? A computer? A computer that could play the then-newest video games? We both know that most kids who had a console of any sort belonged to single-console households. The exceptions were the rich kids and the game-obsessed kids. And every once in a while a lucky kid or two. But that's just the machines. Did owning an NES mean you owned or had played every NES game? Of course it didn't. I've got friends who I talked with a few months ago and was surprised to discover had never even touched any of the Mega Man games. At least they knew they existed! But that's little different from childhood me knowing of this vaporous game called MechWarrior.

Anyway, enough of this, you demand proof, and quite frankly, so do I, so proof I found and proof I shall provide to put this charade to rest. Derpa derpa all you want, it just makes you sound that much more retarded as I prove you wrong:

Total sales (1999) for the MechWarrior franchise = ~$70 million
Source: Reuters
Quote: "MechWarrior 2 [...], and its related products, have accounted for over $70 million in sales."

Total sales (2009) for Super Mario Bros. 3 = not a direct figure, but at 17.28 million times a conservative pricing of just $20, we would reach $345 million. This is ridiculous. First, NES games used to retail for around $40 to $50 back in the day. I don't doubt that Mario 3 was priced as highly as the others. Second, most sales of the game occurred in the early 1990s on the NES and mid-1990s on SNES. Resales of Mario 3 for the GameBoy Advance and WiiWare do not begin to compare. But to try and account for those stolen sales, let's say $20.

Next comes timing. These are the total sales up through 2009. Unless you want to behave like a truly retarded and stubborn child, you'll grant me that the sales for this game have exponentially declined with time, i.e. 90% of the sales occurred in less than 50% of the sales period. This means that for a game which launched in 1988, 90% of the sales would have occurred between 1988 and 1998. Sound reasonable? Let's say you don't. Let's say you want to insist that only 70% of the sales occurred then. Fine. Let it be. 70% of $345 million still brings us to $241 million despite all of the bending-over-backwards I've had to do to entertain you.

Source: GameCubicle, citing public data of Nintendo's
Quote: "To this day Super Mario Bros. 3 remains the best-selling video game of all time never bundled with console hardware, having sold 17.28 million copies."

If you want to sit there and tell me that every kid played Mario as a child, I can't stop you. But if you're even the least bit reasonable, then you'll agree that if only 4 in 5 gamer kids touched a Mario game before 1999, and if one game alone in the Mario franchise accounts for more sales than the entire MechWarrior franchise combined three-and-a-half times over that my 1-in-5 challenge is something to be taken a little more seriously than you're willing to allow.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
Lady Kuno

Ok this argument is starting to just get inane now. Just because you never played it, doesn't mean its unknown. 1/5 (worst case) is still fairly large, making it not some super small/unknown game. Now get back to talking about Scribblenauts cause that shit is awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games