UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #1526
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Street Pass: This is another issue I'm hoping will be resolved now that I'm at the post-game. My Street Pass meter for ORAS is maxed out right now, has been for months, and I can't seem to find any way to clear it. In XY, you clear it by loading up your Holo Caster. But for some reason loading the Holo Caster in ORAS doesn't deplenish my meter. It's still sitting at 20/20 or 30/30 or whatever the max number is for ORAS Street Passes you can have.

I'm assuming it's related to Secret Bases, which I have yet to really use. But I did occassionally try to look for other people's Secret Bases in the world, and I never ever found one. You would think I would've found at least one occupied Secret Base if I have 20 or 30 of them sitting on my cartridge right now. So yeah. I'll need to figure this one out. 'Cause I'd like to start creating my own Secret Base, even if I am several years late to the party, so people can fight in "my gym" and whatnot just for fun. Lord knows I have a ton of competition-ready creatures and not all of them are OU either -- I have lots of original flavor I can share with you guys just for fun.[/spoiler]
The Streetpass in this game, you actually clear it via BuzzNav. It should have a little mailbox icon if you have any new Streetpass data for the game. Tap that and you'll get any new Mirage Spots, Secret Bases, and BuzzNav news from the games you've Streetpassed.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #1527
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Yeah. That'd explain why you never found any then: They aren't there until you activate the streetpass thing on BuzzNavi.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #1528
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay, wow, so I just confirmed that ... (discussion about differences between XY and ORAS features)

Spoiler: show
... ORAS doesn't have a Battle Château or anything near to it. The Battle Château, for those of you who may not know, was (imv) the best place to grind post-game for both money and experience. Coupling hold items (like the Amulet Coin and Lucky Egg), writs (like the Gold, Silver, and Black Writs), and O-Powers (like Prize Power and Exp.Point Power), you can easily make Ľ1,000,000 or earn enough EXP to go from Level 90 to Level 100 in 25-30 minutes. (You have to pick though. Are you going to farm money or are you going to farm experience?) Nothing else in XY came close. And apparently nothing in ORAS comes close either.

Once I realized that the Château hadn't been brought over to ORAS, I had been hoping that Super Secret Bases were its replacement. Use QR codes to install money-loaded or EXP-loaded trainers onto your game, and then go farm those trainers for phat cash/experience. And while you can do that in theory, in practice you're crippled by the limitation of only one battle per day, a holdover from the days of GSC and RSE when we were also limited to only one Link Cable Friend In NPC Form battle per day per friend. (GSC with its limitation of one friend and RSE with its limitation of several.) I have no idea why they kept this restriction in place but it's terrible and it severely limits the usefulness of Super Secret Bases to help a person train up their team. You need money to buy vitamins to make EV training both easier and faster. You need experience points to up-level your Pokémon to get the right moves and states of evolution. If ORAS doesn't offer something on par with XY's Château, then it simply isn't worth it to make my base of operations be Omega Ruby. I may as well stay put on Y.

That stated, even if I do decide to keep Y as my base of operations for breeding and up-leveling, I can't deny that it's better to trade completed Pokémon over to Omega Ruby where they can be more accessible for WiFi tournaments and move tutoring. (Indeed, you can't even call some of these Y-hosted Pokémon "completed" yet when they're missing critical moves that only an ORAS Move Tutor can teach them.)

So I find myself in a surprising position. Before last month, I was wanting to keep Y as my exclusive fortress of operations. For around the last month, I've glumly accepted that I really ought to trade my 'mons over to Omega Ruby where it makes more sense to have them on hand. But now, it's like ... I'm going to have both games be my base of operations. O-o Finished Pokémon on Omega Ruby, but breeding, EV training, and up-leveling operations all on Y. I'll end up spending much more time on Y in the end (woohoo!) but I'll also pop in Omega Ruby whenever it's time to put the fruits of my labor to good use. It's weird, though, because I never saw this coming. It's always been 100% Y or 100% Omega Ruby in my mind. And that's because I don't like being spread across multiple save files. I want to have everything all together in one game. But because of factors outside my control (see spoiler box), it looks like the optimal approach is to be on both Y and Omega Ruby at the same time.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #1529
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Levelling isn't too much of an issue, there's tonnes of QR codes for people with teams full of level 100 Toxic Orb Blissey with like, growl or protect or some shit. EVs and breeding, pretty much yeah, unless you're paying attention on the Resort loop and can tolerate Super Training.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #1530
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Levelling isn't too much of an issue, there's tonnes of QR codes for people with teams full of level 100 Toxic Orb Blissey with like, growl or protect or some shit. EVs and breeding, pretty much yeah, unless you're paying attention on the Resort loop and can tolerate Super Training.
From what I can see, the Resort loop is vastly inferior to what XY offers. Both in terms of who you get to fight and how often you get to fight them.

"Tolerate Super Training"? What sort of statement is that? Of course I "tolerate" Super Training -- Super Training is amazing compared with all other methods past and present of EV training. I can get a Pokémon fully EV trained in under half an hour through a combination of vitamins and ST regimens, and in under one hour through ST regimens alone. This is far and away the best we've ever had it for EV training Pokémon. Previously BW2 was best, and before that HGSS, and before that Emerald. I can't even go back to BW2 at this point and EV train Pokémon because it is such monotony compared with what we were given in Gen 6.

As for Blissey ...

You can't fight enough QR code Blisseys to make ORAS better than XY with its Château. That is the entire point of my post. In the Château, I can fight an average of 8 Audino and gain ~19,000 experience points per Audino in a span of about fifteen minutes. In ORAS, I can fight 6 Blissey and gain comparable experience points in a span of about 5 minutes. But. The Blissey are in limited supply, whereas the Audino are in a virtually limitless supply that keeps recycling every 5-10 minutes. There is no reason to go with QR code Blisseys over Château Audino. Why would you do it. The experience gains per creature are almost the same and the Audino you can easily fight a hundred in one day if you wanted to. The Blissey, from what I am reading, it sounds like you cap out at either 36 or 48. (Something about only being able to favorite 6-8 Super Secret Bases to prevent them from being overwritten by other players' bases.) Not only that, but what if I want to favorite my friends' bases, like Kaisa's or Kuno's? Then I have even fewer Blissey bases to fight.

It seems like ORAS players manage to get by, but from where I'm standing as a happy Y owner I see no reason for me to move my breeding and up-leveling operations over to ORAS at this point. I'm perfectly willing to move my finished Pokémon over there, where I can then merrily use them to fight other players' Secret Base avatars or to partake in online competitions exclusive to ORAS. But I see no compelling reason to give up the huge advantages that XY offers over ORAS.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #1531
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

The Blissey Base Blissey, at least the ones I've seen, all have Healing Wish as their only moves, so unless they have it set to Triple Battles, they mostly can KO themselves.

As for EV training, as far as maxing out certain stats go, OR/AS does give you easy ways to do it with hordes- arguably easier than X/Y, in fact, since each stat has at least one spot where the only hordes only give EVs for that particular stat. For HP, Whismur hordes in Rusturf Tunnel. For Attack, Shuppet hordes in Mt. Pyre's interior. For Defense, Sandshrew hordes on Route 111 (albeit not perfect, considering the constant sandstorm and the minor detail that Sandshrew has Sand Veil, unless you use something like Swift to KO hordes- I use an Illumise with Dazzling Gleam for hordes, personally, so yeah). For Special Attack, Oddish hordes on Route 119 (and Sweet Scent can now be used in the rain, so that's not even a problem). For Special Defense, Swablu hordes on Route 115. And for Speed, you have several options- Zubat hordes in Cave of Origin or Seafloor Cave, or Zigzagoon and Wingull/Taillow (depending on which side of Petalburg Woods you're on) hordes on Route 104.

And OR/AS is way better for breeding- that loop around the Battle Resort, once you get it going, all you do is hold down the D-pad in the same direction until you pick up or hatch an Egg.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #1532
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

tbh the 'tolerate Super Training' was more because hordes give more EVs in a similar timeframe and also Exp too.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #1533
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hordes are battles and super training is a minigame!

Personally I alternate to keep from getting bored of either...though it's still a little tedious no matter what you're doing.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #1534
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
As for EV training, as far as maxing out certain stats go, OR/AS does give you easy ways to do it with hordes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
tbh the 'tolerate Super Training' was more because hordes give more EVs in a similar timeframe and also Exp too.
I have never understood people who claim that horde battles are a sounder way of EV training than Super Training. I understand that you disable animations, give EV-boosting hold items, and infect your creatures with the PokéRus. This is what we used to do in Gens 4 and 5 too. But like ... even doing all of that, horde battles feel both more tedious and more time-consuming to me than Super Training does. Not only is Super Training mildly fun even all these years later, but it's super fast and super easy. Each loop of an ST cycle takes, I would say, somewhere between a literal 30 and 60 seconds. (I spend less than 25 seconds in the actual balloon bot arena, averaging 15 seconds for all bot battles. Earlier battles take ~20 seconds, later battles take ~10 seconds.) Whereas with hordes you have to mess around with honey and running away from incorrect wild encounters and ... it's just a mess. No thank you. Not to mention you have to piss around with infecting your creatures with the PokéRus, and then you're stuck with the ugly virus icon forever.

But if horde battles work for you, then great. Just so long as they don't take away my ST battles because fans like you claimed horde battles were superior, I don't care. You can love horde battles to your heart's content. Just don't take away my (imo) superior ST regimens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
And OR/AS is way better for breeding- that loop around the Battle Resort, once you get it going, all you do is hold down the D-pad in the same direction until you pick up or hatch an Egg.
I was not able to find a path in which you could do this. You always crashed into at least one obstacle, whether a person or a rock or a tree ...

But let's say you're right and the ORAS bike path is something you can just hold down the D-Pad and go with. Umm ... that still means ORAS only ties XY. ^^; Because XY has Prism Tower's plaza. Where you just ... hold down the D-pad left or right and bike forever in a circle until the first egg hatches. It's the same. It's the same exact situation as what you're describing for ORAS.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #1535
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
I was not able to find a path in which you could do this. You always crashed into at least one obstacle, whether a person or a rock or a tree ...

But let's say you're right and the ORAS bike path is something you can just hold down the D-Pad and go with. Umm ... that still means ORAS only ties XY. ^^; Because XY has Prism Tower's plaza. Where you just ... hold down the D-pad left or right and bike forever in a circle until the first egg hatches. It's the same. It's the same exact situation as what you're describing for ORAS.
Here's the path, and an explanation. Just hold up when you reach that area on the beach.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1536
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
I have never understood people who claim that horde battles are a sounder way of EV training than Super Training. I understand that you disable animations, give EV-boosting hold items, and infect your creatures with the PokéRus. This is what we used to do in Gens 4 and 5 too. But like ... even doing all of that, horde battles feel both more tedious and more time-consuming to me than Super Training does. Not only is Super Training mildly fun even all these years later, but it's super fast and super easy. Each loop of an ST cycle takes, I would say, somewhere between a literal 30 and 60 seconds. (I spend less than 25 seconds in the actual balloon bot arena, averaging 15 seconds for all bot battles. Earlier battles take ~20 seconds, later battles take ~10 seconds.) Whereas with hordes you have to mess around with honey and running away from incorrect wild encounters and ... it's just a mess. No thank you. Not to mention you have to piss around with infecting your creatures with the PokéRus, and then you're stuck with the ugly virus icon forever.

But if horde battles work for you, then great. Just so long as they don't take away my ST battles because fans like you claimed horde battles were superior, I don't care. You can love horde battles to your heart's content. Just don't take away my (imo) superior ST regimens!
I do agree that Super Training works well enough, I use it myself if I'm going for more precise EVs, and I certainly hope it remains a feature in subsequent games, but I personally just find hordes to work faster, especially if I'm trying to EV train multiple Pokémon at once, thanks to the Exp. Share. Also, as for what you say about running from incorrect encounters, as I say, OR/AS did address this issue- with the training spots I mentioned, there are no incorrect encounters as far as hordes go. If you're EV training in Attack, for example, and you're just using Sweet Scent over and over in Mt. Pyre, you're only gonna find the Shuppet hordes you need- there's no Duskull hordes or anything to mess you up. In fact, the only training spot I mentioned where you can encounter more than one kind of horde, Route 104, they all give the same EVs anyway. The only real inconvenience would be running afoul of Sandshrew's Sand Veil if EV training in Defense. I don't know, maybe I just find it easier because I have a Pokémon that's really well-suited for summoning and taking out hordes (level 100 Illumise with Sweet Scent and Dazzling Gleam).

And speaking of Sweet Scent... do you actually only use Honey to summon hordes, or were you meaning to lump Sweet Scent in there as well? I only used Honey to summon hordes on one occasion- several days ago, to get a Lightning Rod Plusle for my ingame team in X, and only because I didn't have anything with Sweet Scent on hand.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #1537
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think I have used both, but honestly the last time I deliberately entered a horde encounter would have been over two years ago so I can't recall in full confidence. I know for certain I've used Honey.

I'm willing to give mono-ORAS postgame a try, especially since it would be much easier on me that way. (No constant Banking things back and forth.) Money doesn't sound like it's as big of an issue if you're going the horde route over the ST route. (Money is important to cut ST training time in half.) And you've already addressed the EV side of things. I'm still not convinced that Blissey bases trump furisode girls, but that's for me to discover and convince myself one way or another on later, once I actually start making use of Secret Bases. For now, I plan to wrap up a few loose breeding ends on Y. After that, I'll export most of my prized collection over from Y to OR. Then I'll be having fun with Secret Bases and such.

In the meantime, though ... about that Destiny Knot ...

I think I may already have it, since Bulbapedia indicates you get it from a couple on Sea Mauville and I always talk to everyone, including battlers both before and after a battle. I have Y in the 2DS right now, but when I place O.R. back in I'll check and see if I don't in fact already have my Destiny Knot.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #1538
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

It's possible you might not have the Destiny Knot even if you talked to everybody- they're not guaranteed to give you the Destiny Knot. There's a small chance of them giving it to you after a rematch.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #1539
dirkac
uhhhhh

Yeah, I said it a few posts ago, but Destiny Knots are only given by those two Mystetious Sisters after thefifth rematch, at a 20% chance.

A lot o other items are also gotten through Rematches only
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #1540
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
Yeah, I said it a few posts ago, but Destiny Knots are only given by those two Mystetious Sisters after thefifth rematch, at a 20% chance.
This is incredibly stupid
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #1541
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
This is incredibly stupid
I don't disagree. You can also get them from fans in any Contest Hall after winning a Master Rank Contest- I think that's how I got mine, actually, at some point while getting my Wynaut's various Ribbons.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #1542
Mercutio
Banned

I on the other hand never bothered to learn how super training works.

See also: Pokéathlon, Pokémon Musicals, Dream World, Secret Base mining, Poké Sav, Battle recorder, Pokemon Bank
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #1543
dirkac
uhhhhh

Yeah, I got mine through Contests too.

>Kush
Booo Pokéathlon and the Underground were the best temporary features of like any Pokémon Gen.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #1544
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I on the other hand never bothered to learn how super training works.

See also: Pokéathlon, Pokémon Musicals, Dream World, Secret Base mining, Poké Sav, Battle recorder, Pokemon Bank
>Not spending 100 hours on the Pokeathlon alone
>Not obsessively drafting combinations of the best Juices for Pokemon improvement
>Not breeding and catching Pokemon specifically for use in the Pokeathlon

You poor deprived soul, you were never REALLY playing HGSS.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #1545
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Implying that solving the mediocrity of HGSS was to use mediocre add-on content
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #1546
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

The mediocrity of HGSS was solved more by it being able to trade with Platinum.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #1547
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
>Implying that solving the mediocrity of HGSS was to use mediocre add-on content
BORKED
Old 05-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #1548
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
I love this statement, I really do.

Edit: Also, Sinnoh Underground wasn't any fun without friends (imv).
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #1549
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
I love this statement, I really do.

Edit: Also, Sinnoh Underground wasn't any fun without friends (imv).
It wasn't fun without LOTS of friends because with just one or two, no one's around anyway

It was also poorly designed in that not all of it was connected, especially with that tiny bit at the middle.

Quote:
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #1550
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
>Pokéathlon
>mediocre

Pick one. The Pokéathlon was awesome. Now, musicals, those were mediocre. Decent soundtrack, in all fairness, but that's about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON