UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #426
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Nightmares of Mean Bean Machines high difficulty hell couldn't keep me away from this! Played through the first act of story mode so far an its a cute crossover! Fun to of course!

Beat!
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
- 0:18:05
I had ta switch it down to very easy difficulty but a wins a win? I blame poor documentation (no manual, control select doesn't actually tell you the controls, stuff no listed under command lists) and me generally sucking lol. Was disappointed with the opening & ending... so bland and unfun compared to what the previous games had. Look forward to exploring this game some more however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
If it makes you feel better I've had my PS4 for 2-3 years at this point and maybe half a dozen games for it on my shelf total (admittedly part of the reason for this is having a PC to play on like a big boy, meaning it's mostly a machine for exclusives or games I have no platform preference for).
I feel fine! My whole reason for waiting so long was never having money, and no games being out. I feel like the time to get a system is the time there are 3 games out for it ya really want.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #427
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Beat: The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Like FMV? Like murder mystery? Lovecraft? Some of the best FMV acting ever? Yeah this is probably up your street. I hate horror but l o v e d this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #428
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Shining Soul II
Picking up a GBA game in 2017 isn't strange at all! Last year during my second playthrough of the first Soul I started ta really *get* and like the game a whole lot! So diggin' around to find a copy of the sequel just had ta happen. Plus now I got the complete set of GBA Shining games!

Beat!
7th Dragon III Code: VFD
- 29:49:00
Real solid rpg all the way through in which I was having fun almost the whole time. Thought the whole "dragons" can force their way into regular random battles was a cool thing! Props to 'em for having different regular battle music per era, an lotsa battle themes in general btw. Didn't care much for the art style or alot of the characters/dialogue luckily those didn't affect the fun factor. Also wow the story sure went strange places @_@?

Yakuza 0
- 49:42:00
Being a prequel I had some bias against the story & new characters going in but nothing more. Both turned out good in the end but knowing you'll never see these new characters again still put something of a damper on it. I loved playing the game at its basics, the usual Yakuza game stuff. However this game was filled to the brim with "bloat" which sucked alot of fun away. When you lock upgrades to your characters battle abilities behind wait-to-play mini-games you've fucked up. Plus very little was done to address some of the series now archaic baggage like laggy dialogue boxes and mashing the ever loving heck outta buttons for various even non-battle related things. Also game was kinda up its own ass with "ha ha wouldn't it be crazy if this happened to you in the future" stuffs. All that said I'm to forgiving an can't stay all that mad at it, will totally replay in the future!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #429
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get:

Ever Oasis
I admit I wasn't too sound of mind when I pre-ordered this. I didn't much look into it, and I'm not sure what it's about. THE ART LOOKS CUTE THOUGH! The only thing I really know is that it's made by the people who did the N64 Zelda remakes, and those were swell. I still don't agree with them giving Ruto a bra, but to each his own!

Get/Beat:

Shantae: Half-genie Hero
This was pretty fun. It's nothing super engaging or difficult, but it's something nice to play if you just want to play real quick while waiting for something else to release. Admittedly it has the Metroid frustration of constantly backtracking places after getting power-ups, and then often still not having the right power-up to collect everything.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #430
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Steam sale buys!
Get:
-Tales of Berseria.
Literally still in the tutorials (Just picked up the second playable character as an actual playable character), but I'll see how it goes. Comes on high recommendations and looks to be similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, so let's take a shot at that.

-Dishonored.
It was literally two quid and I like sneaky assassin games, plus it's Dishonored it's supposed to be amazing. Why the hell not.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #431
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

Sale Buys of the Steam variety

L.A Noire Complete Edition
I'm a big sucker for L.A Noire and I haven't played it since early high school/the first time I ever beat it. It was the first game I ever wanted to 100% achievement wise (back when I was an Xbox guy) but our 360 broke and I lost the game/all progress because I went back to my Sony roots afterwards. My computer can't run it so... there's that. But I should have a new PC by early August hopefully.

Jazzpunk
IDK if this actually counts, I bought it when it went on sale and not exactly during the Summer sale but it was cheap so it can be on this list. I've wanted this game ever since I saw Dunkey play it and I have not been disappointed.

Banner Saga 1 & 2
I've wanted these for a while... I played about half of the first one one on a friend's (er ex's) Xbox One but obviously that play through can't be finished. Now I can finally experience the glory.

Psychonauts
Yas. Own it for PS2 and as a PS2 classic on PS3 but... it was a dollar??? Now I have it on the go and it's absolutely amazing so it's okay.

Penumbra Black Plague: Gold Edition
Can't say no to horror. Not for a $1.60.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #432
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Ever Oasis
When I first started playing this, I was actually surprised. It was really fun. There was alot to keep me interested, and the developers tried to add some features to remove the tedium from build-your-town type games. The good thing is that the town building is less than half of the game. The rest of it is going out and killing shit and collecting items. The combat is fun. There's also alot of puzzles that require certain town members to solve. I spent the first couple of days enjoying the hell out of myself. Sadly it starts to become really repetitive and tedious. Thankfully it takes until late into the game for the tedium to strike. The water spirit is really cute.

Freedom Planet
It has been a while since I played a Sonic game, and what better source than a Sonic-style indie game? Especially since Forces seems like it'll be really silly (I still might pick it up anyway). I mean I haven't really fully beaten it. I beat it with Lilac, but I need to do it with the other two characters. For the most part, it's a pretty fun game. I'm not good enough to quite get the required speed rush from the stages, but even then it's nice. There's more to it than just running around and platforming. It throws in some puzzles and battles to make it a little more than a Sonic clone. The difficulty is also just right. Most of the battles seem really daunting at first, but when you figure out how to handle the boss/stage, it's actually pretty reasonable. Until you figure out how to handle the boss/stage, it will seem unfair. Gameplay is solid, but story.....not so much. In that aspect, it's just Deviantart the Game. I mean, I like Lilac. She's a strange, fluffy, dog-nosed dragon with no scales, but she's alright. It's kind of sad she was originally a Sonic OC, but I can overlook that! Anyway, excellent game if you can overlook the blah story.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #433
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Steam Sale:

Dishonored 2
The Silent Age
Thimbleweed Park
Hyper Light Drifter
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #434
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get:

Cave Story +
This was a nice treat. I admit the story is a bit on the short side for $30, but it has enough additions to give you more to do after clearing the story. No real complaints in terms of gameplay/story. They're both pretty solid. One neat thing about this game is the option to change your music type. The music is good enough for me to be interested in how the music sounds in the original and the remastered versions of the game.

Splatoon 2
I've always wanted to play Splatoon, but with no Wii U, I had to wait for it to release on a system I'm interested in. I'm having fun with it despite sucking. Admittedly part of my poor ranking is probably due to being stubborn and wanting to use things like Chargers and Blasters. However, I will learn how to use them effectively! Story mode is also fairly entertaining, even if there doesn't seem to be much to the story.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #435
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Beat:

Persona 5
It was amazing. If it's the last real RPG I play, I'll be happy. And I understand it's geared towards going for NG+, but frankly, I'm happy to leave it as it is - I enjoyed the story and characters as much as I did the actual gameplay, and much to my amazement, I liked it overall more than I did P4. Some characters and moments are likely to stay in my memory for a very long time. It's not without some minor flaws, particularly in the translation department and some odd voice casting choices, but it's still my definitive turn-based JRPG after 8 years of abstinence from the genre.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #436
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I finally got myself a Switch. Splatoon 2 is dope as FUCK.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 07-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #437
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

I'm super excited for Miitopia coming out this Saturday. I played the demo was hooked. It was silly and zany but at the same time the simple combat was easy to pick up (even if you only control one character).

Quote:
I finally got myself a Switch. Splatoon 2 is dope as FUCK.
Seconded. Though I switched (lol) from an Inkbrush main to an Octobrush main.

I've also been meaning to finish Zelda:BOTW for the Wii U so I can try out challenge mode. From what I've been told by Selena, it's pretty hard, which sounds nice to me.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #438
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Terraria (11 hours)

I've owned 2D Metroidvaniacraft: Extreme Autism edition for a while now, but never really messed with it until recently. Like Yorick I MUST DIG

EDIT: And build huge fuckoff skybridges
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #439
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat(ish):

Splatoon 2
This game is a blast so far. I don't regret having my vacation revolve around the release of this game. By beat, I just mean I beat story mode. It was a relatively interesting distraction when I'm not playing multiplayer. Admittedly (major story mode spoilers)
Spoiler: show
it's disappointing there wasn't much to the actual "story". It's just you going through stages, and you only get two story cutscenes in the entire mode. I quite liked that last cutscene, but it's still a shame how dry the mode was. It's also a shame Pearl and Marina don't even take part in it. I thought maybe Marina being an octoling would have something to do with something, but nope. Bitching aside. The stages themselves are fun with a nice amount of variety. The bosses are satisfying, because you can kick the shit out of enemies with the X-Box logo.

Multiplayer mode is fun on a bun. The pressure of not totally sucking is nice, because if you end up sucking, you might cost your team-mates some enjoyment. The Ranked Battles challenges are pretty neat. They all require a fair amount of skill and team-work. Though admittedly Ranked Battles tend to be more difficult, since the players tend to be better. I went from finally being able to hold my own in regular battles to being crappy in Ranked Battles. I still can't use Chargers worth a damn. I can aim well enough in story mode, but when I try to hit a player, I turn retarded. The only players I can reliably hit are other Charger users. I can atleast make a nuisance of myself by trapping my opponents in ink while my allies kill them. It's not just me either. I see an enemy Charger user and instinctively go "this will be fairly easy", because I still have yet to find someone who is a real threat with a Charger. I ended up using duelies in Ranked Battles. That dodge roll is surprisingly useful. Salmon Run is also really nice. I'm guessing it's limited, because you make so much damn money doing Salmon Run.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #440
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Ever Oasis
I enjoyed the demo an from there knew I wanted it. Was gonna buy the game myself but was given it instead! Up to the point where I formed a full party an took down a boss. Not being able ta full clear dungeons in one go may get annoying cause I'll surely forget what I was missing an what type of party member to bring with to get it lol.

Beat!
Azure Striker Gunvolt
- 04:34:57
Part fun, part disheartening. Getting hit knocks away your score combo so the benefits to having a 1000+ score in a stage is something I never got ta see. The final boss sucked pretty hard after what was a mostly easy/forgiving rest of the game. Those aspects aside I had fun playing through most of the levels an regular bosses.

Shining Soul II
- 15:02:56
Wellll this was a big improvement overall the already fun original in about every way. Biggest upgrade had ta be the music. It was almost all rather good an easy ta listen to unlike the originals which was almost all bad. New to the sequel are lotsa secrets and even sidequests! Ya can no longer walk through enemy sprites so the old tactic of hit & walk through them and hit from the other side doesn't work no more. This means ya can get cornered more easily but it doesn't affect the difficulty much. The same character build I used in the first game worked here to so I had a pretty easy time all in all.

Puyo Puyo Tetris
- 06:06:39
Simultaneous Puyo + Tetris battles broke my mind lol. They only showed up late in the game but boy could I not keep up with 'em. Luckily the game lets ya up an skip levels while still getting all the story so that was cool! I beat all but 3 levels pre-post-game an had a fun time almost all the way through. Definitely one of the coolest puzzle game around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Ever Oasis
When I first started playing this, I was actually surprised. It was really fun. There was alot to keep me interested, and the developers tried to add some features to remove the tedium from build-your-town type games. The good thing is that the town building is less than half of the game. The rest of it is going out and killing shit and collecting items. The combat is fun. There's also alot of puzzles that require certain town members to solve. I spent the first couple of days enjoying the hell out of myself. Sadly it starts to become really repetitive and tedious. Thankfully it takes until late into the game for the tedium to strike. The water spirit is really cute.
I can see restocking shops and harvesting stuff everyday or so getting on the annoying side so its nice ta see a post like this saying not everythings smooth sailing. Should sting less when I hit such points of the game knowing they were coming.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 AM   #441
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Breath of the Wild (15ish hours)

It's good that this game is fun and does a lot of neat things, because the weapon durability system is fucking dumb as shit.

As the two of you who actually read my long-winded Pickup/Play rants know, I spend a non-trivial amount of time thinking about game mechanics and their implementation because I am a joyless curmudgeon who puts everything through the wringer of over-analysis until only a tasteless gristle remains. That said, I can't come up with any rationale for durability as implemented that doesn't feel like a Rube Goldberg-style answer to choices made elsewhere in the game's design that already have their own kludgy fixes applied (e.g. countering the ability to spam healing items by scaling mobs such that even some Bokoblins in the tutorial area can one-shot you). There were so many ways to encourage variety in weapon choices (elemental effects, random boosts, etc. beyond the obvious differences in weapon types and base damage), and this is what they went with? Fallout 3 had durability, but 1)you could repair the cool guns that you liked and wanted to keep and 2)they lasted longer than half a goddamn encounter before disintegrating.

Jim Sterling was right: I have never been less excited to loot a cool sword in a game before, which is almost impressive in its absurdity.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #442
Selena
Aroma Lady

Well to be fair, the really cool weapons can be collected again at fixed spots every moon cycle. So that's the repairing thing I guess. And if your weapons only last half the encounter you are either playing on hard mode, or didn't find actual weapons, instead of boko-crap.

I will give you that it's annoying.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #443
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Well to be fair, the really cool weapons can be collected again at fixed spots every moon cycle. So that's the repairing thing I guess. And if your weapons only last half the encounter you are either playing on hard mode, or didn't find actual weapons, instead of boko-crap.

I will give you that it's annoying.
Boko weapons aren't too horrible this early, because the second-tierish drops are still equivalent to "real" weapons I find and I'm usually picking them up because I broke my previous weapon on the original owner's skull. At worst that saves the durability of your "real" weapons a few points while you use it to beat on his buddies.

But then, that's kind of the problem: this is the sort of mechanic you would expect in a survival/horror game to add the tension of making do with limited resources and/or as a way to encourage combat only as a last resort, and Breath of the Wild simply isn't balanced that way. It feels incongruous because it's a scarcity mechanic without the actual scarcity in 95% of all circumstances, and it winds up having you play a lot of inventory Tetris in the middle of combat for dubious benefits to the gameplay.

I think the intent was to be a "soft gate" mechanic: you can't kill a Lynel and take all its cool stuff hour one if the handful of sticks you brought break before you can even budge the health bar, even if you do have the dodging skills of an AGDG turbo autist. They seem to have settled on this method because they apparently weren't willing to compromise on other mechanics (e.g. cooking buffs being so over the top that I can cook a dish that gives me 20 temporary hearts when I'm rolling around with 8 normal ones, being able to shove 50 fairies down my Hylian codpiece to become nigh-immortal, etc.), but the consequence is that it stands out even more as a result.

Also you have to be standing close to your horse to summon it (which makes fast travel more of a pain to use than it should be), but the same stable masters who tell you "it's not a magic horse : ^)" can reach through space and time to retrieve one from the other side of the map so that's kind of stupid too.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 AM   #444
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled bitching to bring you

Playing: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (3-4 hours)

Look at me, I'm babby's first ISIS propagandist

But have only just realized that I desperately need a "get fucked ayys, lmao" poster now.

My new campaign hasn't triggered the Avatar project bar and I'm playing with the expansion story missions enabled, so still pretty early and can't make any dramatic pronouncements yet. The new hero classes seem like a good way to level out the early parts of the game by giving you more options than "shoot" and "grenade", though.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #445
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
SNES Classic Edition
Worth it ta play Secret of Mana one last time before the remake comes out! Worth it ta play Earthbound sans a cart thats falling apart and sometimes decides ta not remember game saves! Worth it maybe for Kirby Super Star? Dunno, haven't played a pre-DS Kirby game! Worth it for Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Super Castlevania IV, and Donkey Kong Country? Prolly!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #446
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Beat: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (at least 50 hours)

Which I beat accidentally while looting Hyrule Castle, because I thought I would get an "oh shit you're about to fight Gannon" warning prompt rather than being dropped straight into the final battle. I'd cleared all the Divine Beasts beforehand, but yeah. I now have all the memories needed for the "true" ending, but I haven't gotten around to it and also I watched it on Youtube.
  • Remember when we were all "man, I wish Nintendo used actual VA in their games" and Nintendo was like "I got you fam, hope you like the cringiest, hammiest Ren Faire Zelda you have previously heard in your darkest nightmares"

• Gannonhorse is real, and strong, and my friend

• I love that Nintendo's answer to the default open world proclivity of people trying to climb shit was to just make everything climbable. Although maybe not so good in my case, since I had to use a guide to find Hatsu (I climbed the mountains to reach Kakariko instead of taking the road) so that he could take my Korok poop and give me more space for swords.

• The weapon durability system gets better (especially when you can start fucking up Lynels consistently and stealing their shotgun bows and 50+ damage one-handers), but it's still a dumb mechanic that ultimately still feels like a solution looking for a problem. Like, you know it was a bad idea when they had to make the Master Sword shittier to get it to work.

GREAT DEKU TREE: "Link, you have drawn forth the Master Sword, the sword that seals the darkness and slayer of evil, etcetera etcetera etcetera. Also, don't use it too much or it gets tired and has to go on its union-mandated break."

"..."

GDT: "Yes, the Master Sword has a union."

"..."

GDT: "I know that a union technically has to have more than one member, but once it realized that it was the only power capable of sealing the evil that plagues our world it had leverage, you know?"

"..."

GDT: "Look, it's either this shit or it's going to fucking start talking again."

• Alternatively, somebody at Nintendo has never forgiven OoT's Biggoron Sword, stalking the halls of Nintendo's Kyoto office while screaming incoherently about trading chickens for saws.

• Every time I find a Korok under a rock, I drop it back on their head

• I don't generally indulge in NPC murder in other open world games, but I wish I could in BotW so that I could throw the 120-year-old-woman-in-a-six-year-old's-body-because-Japan off her fucking mountain

• SEY CHEEEEEEE is the sound that will greet me when I awaken in hell
Old 10-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #447
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

A Hat in Time is real gud

better than Yooka Laylee

soz dave
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #448
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

I played Octopath Traveler Demo, and now I'm hooked. The full game cannot come fast enough.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #449
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Get: Middle Earth: Shadow of War, What Is It Good For, Absolutely Nothin' (6.5 hours)

First game: don't get access to the Nemesis system shit until halfway through

This game: 6 hours of following Gollum/rando humans/elf bitch until you can hang out with Swole Ratbag

Monolith why do you do this
Old 10-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #450
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

So, not worth it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games