UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #576
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post

Besides, I honestly believe that in another 20-30 years, what we've seen happen with artists from the 60s and 70s and 80s will happen with the music we know now
I doubt it. 60s 70s and 80s music is timeless and is still being used today in movie soundtracks, for example. Can you imagine a movie made in 2030 actually using Shake It Off and HEY NOW, YOU'RE AN ALL STAR?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #577
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Yes. Yes I can.

Well, not Shake It Off, but I've never heard Shake It Off, so

EDIT: to support that point, I'd like to point out that the song All Star is about 16 years old and you grouped it in with Shake It Off, so it's clearly very memorable
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Last edited by Slash; 02-27-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #578
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I brought up All Star because it was only relevant for its time. It was used in Shrek and crappy early 2000s comedy movies all the time, but it won't ever be used again unless it's some very specific 90s period piece. 60s 70s 80s music on the other hand? Still going strong.

Also, ever notice how cover songs are always for songs made during those decades? Maybe I'm ignorant here, but as far as I can tell artists only want to cover older ones because new ones suuuuuuuuck!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 02-27-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #579
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Not only is that exceptionally and offensively ignorant, it's also objectively wrong. Enter Sandman? 1991. NIN's Closer? 1994. Green Day's Good Riddance (which was, by the way, played at my graduation just a few years ago)? Originally hit the scenes in 1995. In fact, Green Day has been popular enough to have earned its own Rock Band game (a merit shared only by The Beatles), and a musical based on American Idiot that won two Tony Awards. Smells Like Teen Spirit was 1991 and is widely covered. Then there's the Punk Goes... series of albums, consisting of presently 16 albums, 2 of which are completely devoted to 90s songs, and 6 devoted to Pop (which carry covers of anything from Sara Bareilles to Britney to Lorde to Gaga, alongside covers of Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Destiny's Child). And then there's things like the show Glee, which became immensely popular, in part, from doing their covers of both classic music, and newer music. Say what you want about Glee, but it blew up, and they've had tribute episodes for both Britney Spears and Madonna. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Just because you're not looking for them, and thus don't find them, doesn't mean they don't exist. It doesn't work that way.

EDIT: oh, and Jay-Z's 99 Problems has been memetic since it hit the scenes in 2003 and still is widely loved
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:59 AM   #580
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Enter Sandman (and the Black Album in general) is okay, but it's annihilated by Metallica's albums from the 80s. It's nothing compared to legendary tracks like One, Battery, Creeping Death and Fade To Black. That said, I actually do have some amount of affection for 90s music. It's the 2000s stuff that I really hate. I also want to make it clear that I don't have this automatic "hate everything that's new" attitude, like those idiots who post YouTube comments on old songs who cry, "I WAS BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION!" For example, I think that we are currently in a golden age when it comes to television dramas, with shows being made now that are way better than all the stuff that came before (see this post for more thoughts on that). Modern anime music is still outstanding. I also think that rap music peaked in the 90s/early 2000s (in my opinion the greatest rap track of all time is Poet Laureate II which was made in 2003). Pop music just happens to be crappy right now, that's how it is.

I just can't imagine anybody listening to All Star in the year 2030 and being in awe at how good it is, like they do now with say, Let It Be by The Beatles. No one will ever listen to or bring up All Star in the year 2030 for any reason other than, "LOL, REMEMBER THE 90S?"

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #581
Connor
Flashbacker

Figured a few of you might enjoy this.

This is also pretty cool.

Last edited by Connor; 03-08-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #582
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Figured a few of you might enjoy this.

This is also pretty cool.
For the first one I'm not a fan of their versions of the Title Theme or Song of Storms for a variety of reasons but I think it's mostly because I'm really picky, haha. I liked the cover of Saria's Song though.

Second thing is really unique and interesting; I'm a fan.

---

As for something I'm listening to, I'm a really big fan of Bahamas, and I'm actually seeing them in concert this June! "All the Time" is on their latest album, but I prefer the sound of them performing it for this studio thing better than the album version, but both are good.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #583
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was reminded today of the existence of this gem by CeeLo Green.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #584
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
CeeLo Green has one of my favourite voices today. Smiley Faces and Who's Gonna Save My Soul are great examples too.

>Modern music argument

I think the change isn't so much that there's less good music these days so much as nowadays, studio promotion outweighs talent in who makes the top. Great bands like Arcade Fire, The Neighbourhood and The National (amongst many others) exist but hits are created artificially. Record labels outright pay radio stations to play selected tracks/bands a certain number of times in a given period (infamously this is how Limp Biskit were pushed in the early days - the label picked a song off the album and paid radio stations to play it 50 times in the space of a month). Similarly chart position can be manipulated; in the late 2000's Prince had a free London paper give out his album with every copy, so every copy of this paper counted as a sale of his album for chart purposes. In the early 2000's Shania Twain released a two disc album, Up! The two discs were country and pop versions of each song respectively, so it had one albums worth of songs - but each sale counted double for the purposes of measuring sales for the chart.

That's not even to say that all modern pop is bad; Olly Murs is a guilty pleasure, for example. It's just that if a song was produced in the last ten-fifteen years and it's not modern pop and/or playable in a club, it doesn't get airtime these days. Rather than playing the top 5-10% of all music, we end up inundated with the top half of one of two specific genres. There are exceptions though; the Mercury Music Prize hasn't sold out but still carries major weight, for example (and winning it is a big part of the success of bands like Elbow or Alt-J who beforehand just didn't really appear on the charts or receive particular airtime). The big difference between today and the 60-80's music is that the 60's-80's music (and early 90's) music that gets used for films/tv series/covers were also the chart-toppers at the time. There's just as much good music these days that is and will be used in the same way, but it's mostly not the same thing as tops the charts.

EDIT the first: Or whiny emoteen music, in some cases (Bullet for my Valentine etc).

EDIT the second: And while I have Arcade Fire in my head.

Last edited by Concept; 03-15-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #585
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

This song's pretty fun and funky, been listening to it a lot.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #586
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

This rather old song by Rhapsody is pretty snazzy!

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #587
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Nowhere near similar stylistically, but that version of the New World finale makes me think of this.

Also for whatever reason I've been listening to way too many hits from 2000-2005 and while I could just drop 50 singles featuring Sean Paul I'll just leave a new favorite here.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #588
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #589
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Nik & Jay - United feat. Lisa Rowe

Recently heard this song on one of the Danish radio stations. The artists are Danes but this song has received limited recognition outside of Denmark. I am in love with this song - the music is amazing, vocals by Lisa Rowe are quite special and the song in general describes the attitude of the Danish youth and I see it everyday. Denmark is amazing.

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #590
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Joshua Morse - Turtle Dance 3

Just something I accidentally found while browsing through Soundcloud.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 AM   #591
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Found a cute song and video based off Amaterasu the sun goddess. (It's Vocaloid, but this version has subs. I first heard and prefer this cover although it also lacks a naked dancing girl. *shot*)

It honestly makes me cry a bit, considering a lot of events that have happened recently. Damn Rerulili for constantly hitting close to home...

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 04-19-2015 at 03:11 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #592
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I listen to VGM remixes on OverClocked ReMix (who do remixes of an extremely large range of games) a lot, so I thought to put my favorites.

"Rebirth of Mars" and "Rebirth of Venus". Both from Golden Sun.

Some other favorites would be "Guile's Theme Goes With Metal" and "Times Like These" from Street Fighter 2 and Red Rescue Team respectively.
Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #593
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Waltz from "The Face of Another (他人の顔)." Takemitsu's cinematic scores are all pretty fantastic but this one is stuck in my ear a lot.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #594
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Heard this while watching a speedpaint on youtube, got addicted to it, then saw it was based off Tokyo Ghoul's OP! looks like I'm watching that eventually lol

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #595
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Heard this while watching a speedpaint on youtube, got addicted to it, then saw it was based off Tokyo Ghoul's OP! looks like I'm watching that eventually lol
Unravel is pretty great, and I like that remix with Miku. Here's a version with actual female vocals.

(Have fun if you do decide to watch TG, it can be pretty brutal. ;O)

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 04-22-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:11 AM   #596
Connor
Flashbacker

And here is an acoustic version by the original band. It's pretty haunting. Forgive the overlaying speech, it's been ripped directly from the episode the song was shown in and I'm unsure if there is a version without, since I couldn't find one.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #597
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Ooh, thanks friends! I hope there's a version of the acoustic one without the speech, it sounds really nice :o

The anime looks intense! Gotta finish that Yugioh first though...

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've also been listening to Katamari Damacy's A Crimson Rose and Gin Tonic! It makes you wanna dance~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #598
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Ooh, thanks friends! I hope there's a version of the acoustic one without the speech, it sounds really nice :o
Found a very close cover.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #599
phoopes
Double Dragon

I am inexplicably entertained by this Talking Heads music video: "Once in a Lifetime"

Even if you're not normally a fan of jazzy stuff check out "Lingus" by Snarky Puppy.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #600
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Like House? Check out this fantastic album. Not a bad song on there imo, and I'd honestly call a lot of them flat out great.

I've also been listening to Blue Oyster Cult's The Reaper a lot, and the Stone's Paint it Black. Just been binging on them for some reason.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment