UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Nintendo NX Revealed: The Nintendo Switch!

...Tomorrow at 10 AM EST.

IT'S TIME.

Last edited by deoxys; 10-20-2016 at 01:14 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT THING I WON'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD!

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

You're actually pranking me Deo I swear to god
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Miror
Marsh Badge

My body will never be ready
Old 10-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I'll be at work, everybody keep me posted on what a total shitshow it winds up being.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

24 MINUTES, ARE YOU ASSHOLES READY?

Old 10-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

HOLY SHIT

NINTENDO SWITCH

THE RUMORS WERE TRUE

CARTRIDGE BASED, TABLET CONTROLLER THAT IS A PORTABLE/CONSOLE HYBRID

COMING MARCH 2017

LOOKS LEGIT AF
Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

direct link
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

A sampling of partners for the Switch.

Why yes, that IS FromSoftware up there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For Nintendo mobile fans (like most everyone on this forum!), this is superb news. Pokémon Sun and Moon's graphics are in an awkward spot in between the N64 and the GameCube. Like, it's cool to be better looking than an N64 (= DS games' look), I get that, but ... you still look worse than Pokémon Colosseum because of the ridiculously low resolution. And you don't have to. You could easily look better. Well, the Switch is here to fix that! Woohoo! Now our Pokémon games will be able to look as good as a game that is somewhere in between XBox 360 and XBox One graphics. Or put another way, they can look at least as good as a Wii U game if not slightly better. That's fantastic news for us handheld fans. We're skipping over several console generations (GameCube, Wii, and kinda sorta the Wii U too) and entering an age where our beloved mobile games, from Pokémon to Fire Emblem, can look as nice as most modern video games. Sweet.

For Nintendo console fans, I have to imagine the opposite is true but to a lesser degree. Nintendo console fans have had to put up with the half-fanboy arguments half-fact that Wii U games don't look as good (when aiming for lifelike appearances, instead of highly stylized looks like Wind Waker or Okami) as their Microsoft and Sony counterparts. Or that third-party titles which cross platforms between XBox and PlayStation are absent from the Wii U's library. I think most Wii U fans were hoping for a console that was stronger than the XBox One and the PS4 -- a sort of "in-between generation" console, if you will -- and from what we're seeing in the trailers they're not likely to get it. Splatoon still looks like it looked on the Wii U. Much has already been said about how Skyrim is a "lol 5-6 years old" game. And tech-philes are already complaining that Breath of the Wild might suffer from frame rate issues. Still. Despite all these concerns, it's not like the Switch's games look that bad. And at the end of the day, it's the fun factor that matters most, not the graphics. I still love Super Mario World. I still don't give two shits about the newest Call of Duty.

I think the Switch is a really savvy risk taken by Nintendo. "Savvy risk" may sound like an oxymoron, but hear me out. It's a risk because they're combining two of their income sources (handheld and console) into one, potentially undercutting their own profits. It's savvy because 1, there's something to be said for the two consoles artificially dividing their playerbase (as many people own one or the other but not both, limiting which games they can buy); and 2, mobile tech has rapidly approached home consoles in terms of graphical prowess. I probably don't need to tell any of you this since I'm one of the least smartphone-aware people on this forum and even I know this, but just to spit it out: the newest generation of smartphones and/or the upcoming smartphone chips have been shown to be capable of producing better graphics (with no performance drops in any sector) than any of the home video game consoles currently on the market. Translation: your Note 7 might have caught on fire too easily, but it was also stronger than an XBox One. Twenty-five years ago, this wasn't possible. Twenty-five years ago, there was a sharp dropoff between what you could achieve on the go (Game Boy) and what you could achieve at home (SNES). This was true throughout the '90s, this was true throughout the '00s ... but now, miraculously and for whatever reasons, mobile tech has more or less caught up with home console tech when it comes to market penetration and technical capabilities. Nintendo is smart to have not only realized this but to have capitalized on it -- to combine their mobile and home console units into one where it means minimal to no drop for the one (home console) and a huge performance improvement for the other (mobile).

My only disappointment, in fact, is that the Switch isn't a smartphone. I'd actually been holding off on buying my new phone in part because I was hoping that the Switch was actually an all-in-one combination smartphone and gaming console. After all, if it's going to have the gaming tech guts of a smartphone, why not have the phone call guts of one too? Unfortunately, the trailer doesn't show anyone attempting to use the Switch like you would a smartphone (to place calls, write notes, watch YouTube, etc.), so I have to think it's just a dedicated video game console. Which is still fine, insofar as that's been the status quo for Nintendo these past thirty years! It's just, I was looking for a reason to jettison my Apple iPhone and Nintendo sadly hasn't given it to me, meaning I'm going to have to spend my saved-up money on a replacement iPhone first and then later purchase a Switch.

But I'll definitely be buying a Switch.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #13
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I also see ARC and Atlus up there in the sampling, for when you want to snap your new console in half due to JRPGs rather than Action Adventure.

There's also Level 5 and Silicon Studio, who are known for great games, and Codemasters, which I'm surprised still exists.

Then there's the usual fuckers in Actipission, EA State, Crapcom, Uselesssoft, Square Penix, Segoddamn and of course, FucKonami, who will most certainly not make a new Castlevania game for it.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Snorby
Snackin'

My biggest concern, far and away, is the price, given I'm a jobless 16 year old with lower middle class parents. My family definitely doesn't have 500-600 bucks to throw around, even at Christmas. And my case is far from unique.

The other thing that gives me pause doesn't effect me personally, but worries me for the sake of other fans- No backwards compatibility? I believe the GameCube was the last console from Nintendo that didn't allow it. And that will make a massive price tag even harder to swallow for Wii U owners who will struggle to get even the console for more than what could have bought a console and three games before, because they won't even be able to play old games on it while they save up for new ones.

Make no mistake, I'm liking the look of the system and appreciate that Nintendo is focusing on ingenuity again (something I felt was seriously lacking in the Wii U), but I'm nonetheless afraid that an inability to buy one a significantly cheaper console separately could shrink the player base in a big way.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
My biggest concern, far and away, is the price, given I'm a jobless 16 year old with lower middle class parents. My family definitely doesn't have 500-600 bucks to throw around, even at Christmas. And my case is far from unique.

The other thing that gives me pause doesn't effect me personally, but worries me for the sake of other fans- No backwards compatibility? I believe the GameCube was the last console from Nintendo that didn't allow it. And that will make a massive price tag even harder to swallow for Wii U owners who will struggle to get even the console for more than what could have bought a console and three games before, because they won't even be able to play old games on it while they save up for new ones.

Make no mistake, I'm liking the look of the system and appreciate that Nintendo is focusing on ingenuity again (something I felt was seriously lacking in the Wii U), but I'm nonetheless afraid that an inability to buy one a significantly cheaper console separately could shrink the player base in a big way.
Current rumors going around from the industry are a $299 price point, which actually sounds both plausible and reasonable.

Backwards compatibility would be extremely difficult to do with the vision they have for this console, and that's clear. However, I'm still hopeful for 3DS backwards compatibility at least.

I'm excited for March. I'll definitely be getting one on launch day. I wasn't sure prior to reveal, but yeah.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't see the console costing more than $350. If you can't afford that, I completely understand but that's more of a personal problem. When I was in high school I had an XBox, GameCube, GBA, and between them no less than twenty games. Over the last three years, all I have that's current is a 2DS and on it I only have five games. It sucks to be short on cash for video games, but that's life. (Bills, student loans, other expenses ...) I don't hold that against Nintendo or the other companies. And in fact, I acknowledge that while $300 was the price ceiling when I was your age and it still grosses me out that the PS3 launched for $600 $599 USD, I also have to acknowledge that between inflation and the inevitable creeping upwards of console prices that $300 is a fair/cheap price for a company to offer on their newest home console these days. If Nintendo offers the Switch for even $400, I can't say it would be an awful deal. Pricier than I'd like. I'd like to see $300 or less. But $400 for what the Switch is offering me, as a long-time Pokémon fan, still beats what Sony and Microsoft are offering me. And I can always wait until Pokémon comes out for it anyway. No need to rush out and buy one at launch. Let other people be the early adopters who trade the inconvenience of hardware and software issues for the fun of early access. I can be patient. I can wait for a less expensive, better product.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of your favorite $40-at-launch DS and 3DS titles, their Switch counterparts are more than likely going to cost $60. Things like Ace Attorney 6 (which launched for less than $30), those will probably continue to launch at their current prices. But Pokémon Gen 8? All but guaranteed to be $60 at launch. Because of the aggregate +$20 that Nintendo's pocketbooks are going to be seeing on all handheld sales going forward, I have to imagine that that will at least in part offset a planned low MSRP for the console itself. "Sell the console at a loss, make the money back on the games" -- that's been the successful business strategy for years now for a number of these companies. I imagine Nintendo will be planning for that with the Switch. While the device itself might cost upwards of $600 in 2016 technology, they're probably hoping that $300 for the console and then $300 for five $60 games (not unreasonable) is going to balance things out. And keep in mind that as time goes forward, the actual cost to make a Switch will continue to go down. What cost $600 in 2016 will likely cost $500, $450, maybe even only $400 by 2018.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #17
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm hoping the Splatoon they're playing is the Wii U version. I was waiting for the reveal so I could give up my false hope of backwards compatibility. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure. Even if the Splatoon is a Switch version, it's still a Wii U game I wanted.

I plan on buying one. This is probably going to replace the 3DS, so I'll need something to play my new Pokemon and Fire Emblem on.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #18
phoopes
Double Dragon

IT'S HERE

The trailer was everything I hoped it would be and more. I completely skipped out on this generation of home consoles, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Switch. Definitely would like to purchase one.

>Backwards compatability

The Mario Kart and Splatoon they showed were both "enhanced" in some way. Like Mario Kart showed King Boo and two item slots whereas Splatoon showed new hairstyles. So either they're enhanced ports or Mario Kart 9 and Spla2n. Which I would guess means no backwards compatability. Unfortunate, but I think they've done so many right things that it's okay.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
Heather
Naga's Voice

MYBODYISREGGIE.JPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Fucking amazing. Although Skyrim like 5 years late lol.

Does Nintendo really have a Splatoon e-sport scene?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm pretty sure it's probably Splatoon 2 (Spla2n?) - The brief footage showed new customization options such as hairstyles and pants, things not available in the current game. The graphics also actually looked ever-so-slightly better, noticeable on the in-game background objects. It's possible however it's an updated port.

The Splatoon Esports scene is very much a thing - in Japan. It hasn't really hit the West, for several reasons: Matches are short for an Esport is a big reason. Unless they did what Smash tends to do sometimes and do 3 sets of Best of 3 or 5 sets of Best of 3, then it's not gonna take off. The other reason is simply the Wii U wasn't a popular console, especially in the US. A third reason is because Nintendo has historically shied away from the Esports scene. They used to turn a hard cold shoulder on the Smash scene, only recently opening themselves up to it and sponsoring events like Apex and Evo.

This could be a sign Nintendo is willing to start catering to the Esports audience more. Who knows. After seeing the success of League of Legends, Smash, Counter Strike, etc. and realizing they've got something special on their hands (quite frankly, no one else has done anything like it) - they might be turning their attention to getting a piece of that pie with Splatoon. And honestly, I hope they do.

I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest, in fact, if Spla2n turns out to be Nintendo's first big free-to-play title, especially having dabbled in mobile games and seen the profit those have gotten them.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It looks pretty cool. It also looks like it plays 3ds games?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Any talk of battery life on it?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #24
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm pretty sure it's probably Splatoon 2 (Spla2n?) - The brief footage showed new customization options such as hairstyles and pants, things not available in the current game. The graphics also actually looked ever-so-slightly better, noticeable on the in-game background objects. It's possible however it's an updated port.
There had been rumors prior to its announcement that Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, and Super Smash Bros. Wii U would all be ported to the NX with additional features. This would also explain why the Mario Kart in the trailer, while looking very similar to Mario Kart 8, has some different features as well (King Boo as a character, two item slots, etc.). My bet personally is that they're ports but they could surprise us with sequels, either way I'm down lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Any talk of battery life on it?
Nothing official, I've heard rumors of around 8 hours but this has been ages so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #25
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

What a world we live in.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games