UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #176
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I was very pissed when I saw Mewtwo's dream world ability was unnerve.

Early gen legends got hosed with them all getting Pressure instead of something unique.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #177
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Personally I thought the Legendary Birds should get Snow Warning/Drizzle/Drought, but perhaps that's becuase I'm crazy. Instead only Zapdos gets a good move, what with Lightningrod being good now.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #178
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Personally I thought the Legendary Birds should get Snow Warning/Drizzle/Drought, but perhaps that's becuase I'm crazy. Instead only Zapdos gets a good move, what with Lightningrod being good now.
>Snow Cloak not good for a defensive pokemon primarily used on Hail teams

Oh, Dave.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #179
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>Implying that a 'mon able to take hits and is good for stalling with its defences and Roost doesn't get more use from Pressure

Oh Kin

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #180
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
>Implying that a 'mon able to take hits and is good for stalling with its defences and Roost doesn't get more use from Pressure

Oh Kin
>Implying it doesn't get just as much use from haxy +1 evasion

Oh, Dave.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #181
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pressure is definitely more useful on stall Articuno. But I'll agree with Kuno that all of the older legendaries got hosed when it comes to their primary (Gen 3) abilities.

Even if it would have made him broken as fuck, I would have liked for Mewtwo to have gotten something like "Telepathy - can see all information about the enemy Pokemon including stats, moves, held item" or some other ability that (a) would have tied into his story and (b) would have struck fear into the hearts of all who faced him. I mean, he's Mewtwo for crying out loud.

Within the realm of not-so-broken abilities, they could have lent him things like:
- Levitate (telekinetic psychic cat who floats/flies around)
- Intimidate (he's Mewtwo! And he would have liked that to cover his Defense stat)

Again, these could arguably be said to lend Mewtwo too unfair an advantage. But Pressure was a total bust. I don't even mean competitively so: I mean in terms of the expectations the fans had for the psychic cat.

The fact that GameFreak gave him yet another shitty ability with Gen 5 more or less proves that they're convinced the cat still has too unfair an advantage. Even though, you know, Arceus and stuff exist now. lol
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #182
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

This is true, but at least Mewtwo can now run a pure Special set and utterly shaft Blissey with Psystrike.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #183
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Professor Oak: MEWTWO IS WAY BROKEN!! PSYSHOCK AND PSYSTRIKE DESTROY SPECIAL WALLS WHO OTHERWISE STOP HIM!!
Professor Elm: LET'S MAKE THEM EVEN MORE BROKEN!! WHERE DID WE PUT THE POKE-STEROIDS!!
Professor Birch: ALRIGHT! THESE INJECTIONS NOW MAKE MEWTWO SO STRONG, THE OTHER PLAYERS WILL ACTUALLY DIE WHEN HE ATTACKS!!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #184
Selena
Aroma Lady

Actually Unnerve is a pretty decent ability, it stops crap like custab wobbafet (when it's rereleased) and some sitrus berries. Sure it's not the best out there but definitly better then pressure.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #185
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
- Intimidate (he's Mewtwo! And he would have liked that to cover his Defense stat)
I remember Rangeet bringing this up before. What people often miss is that Pressure, Intimidate, and, to a lesser extent, Unnerve, are all different effects caused by similar characteristics. While you can say someone would be Intimidated by battling Mewtwo, you can also say they'd have a lot of Pressure in battling the pokemon created for battle. Likewise, they could also be Unnerved by the same thing. It's a shame from the competitive view that they used these two of the three, but from a flavor-wise view, it's more than acceptable.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #186
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Unnerve would of been better if it stopped all item usage. >.>

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #187
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Celestia View Post
Unnerve would of been better if it stopped all item usage. >.>
That would of been frelling amazing.

So, how have people been liking the new-and-improved Sturdy?
Quote:
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #188
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Sturdy is quite boss, I wasn't aware of the change until ingame and I was all like "AWESOME!" But then I realized that I don't really like any Pokemon with Sturdy so it didn't affect me much.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #189
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebos View Post
But then I realized that I don't really like any Pokemon with Sturdy so it didn't affect me much.
D:

Kuno's proposed change for Unnerve's effect would have been awesome. And, to be quite honest, I don't know that it would have been broken in ubers. Metagame-changing? Absolutely. You'd have to be a fool not to run a Mewtwo. And it would hamper some of the ubers' abilities to dance toe-to-toe with the psychic cat as they currently do. But broken? I dunno about that.

... then again, maybe it would be broken? But even if it was:
(1) I don't play ubers :P and
(2) it's frickin' Mewtwo

Oh well, whatever. Maybe if the metagame comes full circle and Gen V or Gen VI see some Gen II-style competitive play with Mint/ChestoRest and Miracle/Lum Berries dominating the scene then his ability'll be relevant and awesome. But until then.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #190
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
If Mewtwo had his Special Defense un-nerfed back to 154 like in RBY, would he be a more broken uber than Arceus?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #191
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
If Mewtwo had his Special Defense un-nerfed back to 154 like in RBY, would he be a more broken uber than Arceus?
Hell yeah.

atm, the only use I can see for unnerve is giving a giant middle finger to SubSalac/Endureversal/etc.
Quote:
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #192
Selena
Aroma Lady

Also resist berries...

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #193
ObviousUser2010
Banned

I like Victini's ability, it's truly an eye opener...
ObviousUser2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #194
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Whats the deal with the re-run 'dex entries? Whys B/W just re-use Platinums stuff for non-new PKMN when every generation before it'd be something new? That bugs me. I don't like that!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #195
Talon87
時の彼方へ

[tease] Why? Did you want them to make it canon that a single Pikachu can produce as much electricity in one hour as a nuclear power plant can in one year? Or how about making it so that an Ekans' venom is so acidic it eats through even the toughest known materials? (Which would have to include the material coating Ekans' fangs!) Or maybe they'd make it official that a Charizard's fiery breath can get so hot it can asplode a star? [/tease]

But you know what I mean. Those Pokédex entries can get pretty ridiculous.

"A Pokémon that eats soil. Once it has eaten a large mountain, it goes to sleep so it can grow."

"Its brain can outperform a super-computer. Its intelligence quotient is said to be 5,000."

"Breathing intense, hot flames, it can melt almost anything. Its breath inflicts terrible pain on enemies."

I mean, I guess they've already said that Charizard can melt stars and such. Unless celestial bodies are one of the few things which fall outside of "almost anything."

Now someone needs to make fanart of Charizard melting a star. XD
Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #196
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

1st gen Pokémon like Persian and Kadabra were getting Pokédex entries that contained new and believable info in the 4th gen. It just requires a bit of effort.

So obviously it was missing from Pokémon: Half Arsed edition.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #197
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
1st gen Pokémon like Persian and Kadabra were getting Pokédex entries that contained new and believable info in the 4th gen. It just requires a bit of effort.
I never noticed this before, but check out what happened to poor Kadabra. Unlike we're used to thinking, he actually started off just fine ...

"It emits special alpha waves from its body that induce headaches just by being close by."

Nothing wrong with that. Fast-forward to 5th Gen and we see the normal, believable stuff you were citing too:

"It stares at its silver spoon to focus its mind. It emits more alpha waves while doing so."

Great. Now ... ... check his entry for Emerald and FireRed. WHAT THE HECK. XD When did this happen!? This sounds like the sort of shit that would give kids nightmares! It's like the donkey scene from Pinocchio!

"MAMA! ;_; HELP MEEE! HEEEEEEEEELP MMMM--KADABRA! KADABRA!"
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #198
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Does anybody else find the music to be fantastic this generation?
Team Plasma's theme is so boss.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #199
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Main Pokémon games haven't had good music since TRUMPETS. TRUMPETS EVERYWHERE.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #200
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think it's hit or miss. I've loved songs from each generation and hated songs from each gen, too. And I'm really torn up over my favorite Gen 5 song, Opelucid City's theme (White Version only), 'cause I love the melancholic bits, hate the happy-sounding bits, but love the fact that the combination of the two really lends the town a character not seen in most Pokemon games. (Song gets too goddamn powerful, happy at around the 1:10 mark. I like the weaker bits better since it makes the town seem like a town that has seen better days in a once-glorious past, sort of like as if it were the village elder in the community of Unova's cities.) Feel really bad for the poor bastards that insisted on playing Pokemon Black though. They got hosed when it comes to Opelucid's song.

And like I said, each gen has some stinkers. Gen 5 isn't immune to this. Exhibit A. You know the song's a faiilure when I grimace after entering the city and light-speed reach for my audio to turn the sound off. Song has not grown on me. Awful, awful song. I get they were going for the carnival theme, but they should have relegated it to the carnival part of the town only and given the town proper a different song entirely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON