UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #176
Sneaze
Mrow?

Go fuck yourself with a spiked iron rod.

Sincerely, everyone who feels like the current loot box system is a shitshow.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #177
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
It's bugged and not displaying in-game anyway.

I also apparently have -900 gold...somehow.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 PM   #178
Sneaze
Mrow?

See I'd have less of a problem with the current system if it wasn't for the fact that Blizz has been super radio silent in regards to things. The best we have is that it might happen again next year, so there is absolutely no guarantee that even if you play for years you'll ever be able to rack up all the cool cosmetics.

That said, people who want to be able to immediately use credits to pay for things can all go suck a dick and learn how businesses work.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #179
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Just got Track & Field Tracer.

Shame it's not team GB tracer T_T
Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #180
Zelphon
Caffeinated

OK so I logged in today to find that all the things I got from boxes the event boxes are gone.

So that's a thing

Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #181
Extroph
Oreburgh's Very Own

I think Blizzard can make some good money if they just made an animated movie of Overwatch...

Pls?

PASBL|FB|WF
Extroph's Tiny Art Shack
Trainer Level 3
C Grade Referee

Extroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #182
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extroph View Post
I think Blizzard can make some good money if they just made an animated movie of Overwatch...

Pls?
Yeah, they just tried that with WoW and the results were...not good.

EDIT: I mean, Reaper ultimately works because every other character in the game calls him out for his tired "edgy 90's antihero" schtick, meaning there is at least a group of people at Blizzard who get it.

Chris Metzen is almost assuredly not part of that group.

Last edited by Blastoise; 08-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #183
Extroph
Oreburgh's Very Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
Yeah, they just tried that with WoW and the results were...not good.

EDIT: I mean, Reaper ultimately works because every other character in the game calls him out for his tired "edgy 90's antihero" schtick, meaning there is at least a group of people at Blizzard who get it.

Chris Metzen is almost assuredly not part of that group.
That's true! But I mean, WoW doesn't exactly fit the bill when it comes to having a movie-worthy plot imo. Overwatch, however, certainly fits that! My opinion, anyway.

Also, check out my edit of the Pharah sprite on my sig! Anubis Pharah is my main.

PASBL|FB|WF
Extroph's Tiny Art Shack
Trainer Level 3
C Grade Referee

Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #184
Zelphon
Caffeinated

OK so after another round me losing all the shit I got, I got shit straightened out with Blizzard, probably my worst haul of the 3, but I got the Tracer skin, a shit ton of gold and and hand full of older skins.

Way too many sprays tho.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #185
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extroph View Post
That's true! But I mean, WoW doesn't exactly fit the bill when it comes to having a movie-worthy plot imo. Overwatch, however, certainly fits that! My opinion, anyway.
If you think Warcraft doesn't have a movie-worthy plot (which I don't necessarily disagree with), then what does Overwatch have?

Overwatch is a neat setting, but there isn't really a story beyond what has been hashed out in a couple paragraphs on the Blizzard site and the character-specific trailers, and a lot of the characters--while well designed visually--don't stray very far from their basic archetypes ("spunky female protagonist", "grizzled jaded soldier", "basically Beast from the X-Men"). Like LoL the setting is more about laying a basic framework for the character concepts, rather than being something that gets meaningfully integrated into the gameplay beyond a few scattered quips and character interactions*.

We give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt because their games are good, the art design is usually well done and their cinematic trailers are pretty much second to none outside of maybe Square-Enix's, but the writing is almost always workmanlike at best and Metzen and Co. tend to overuse certain narrative paths (hopeful character falls to evil/cynicism, evil character redeems themselves especially if they're a hot lady, "manipulated noble savage race" subplots which were fine when they did it with the Orcs but WTF when they did it with the Zerg) to their detriment.

Spoiler: show
Initially in LoL the "10 random chucklefucks fighting it out in a magical forest" gameplay was justified as a contest of champions between rival nations as a way to resolve conflicts without resorting to Magic World War III, but then Riot retconned that out, going to a new narrative where they don't bother to explain it at all because ??????????????????

Quote:
Way too many sprays tho.
The entire loot box system is Blizzard's way of trolling the fanbase: nothing like seeing a purple drop when you open the box only for it to be a shitty emote for a character you don't play.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #186
Zelphon
Caffeinated

a good 90% of my games are a mixture of Mercy and Lucio. Really don't like Lucio but Mercy just isn't in a good spot right now and Lucio is basically mandatory.

Really not sure what they can do to help Mercy but I really hope they do. some quality of life changes to her Guardian Angel might do the trick.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #187
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
That's because Mercy is the Soraka of Overwatch.

She must be crippled in her entirety.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #188
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
a good 90% of my games are a mixture of Mercy and Lucio. Really don't like Lucio but Mercy just isn't in a good spot right now and Lucio is basically mandatory.

Really not sure what they can do to help Mercy but I really hope they do. some quality of life changes to her Guardian Angel might do the trick.
Lucio isn't actually mandatory in decent play, the issue is that at your level the deathball strat is easily the strongest (barely even deathball, you just group as 6 and kill anything that approaches you). Lucio shines in deathball as the only support with an aoe heal - the rest have single-target heals except for Ana (and hers has a cooldown). Because Lucio becomes significantly more powerful the more allies are around him, it's not hard to see why he's "mandatory" in your games.

It is possible to take advantage of grouped enemies by playing Pharah or Junkrat though, and they outdamage Lucio's heal which spells a lot of trouble for his team. Widowmaker is also pretty effective even though Lucio is a small and mobile target.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #189
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Junkrat is also in every single one of my games, so I guess my ELO is "deathball" rampant.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #190
Red Panda
head head bitch

I've seen a lot of (and found success with) teams running Lucio and Mercy (usually paired with a Bastion who just becomes unkillably broken).

I am rank 39ż and I am seeing less Torbjorn (thankfully) but lots of Bastion and a ton of teams running like 3 tanks regularly. The 3 tanks works rly well for deathballing bc Zarya functions incredibly well with D.Va and Roadhog.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #191
Extroph
Oreburgh's Very Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
I've seen a lot of (and found success with) teams running Lucio and Mercy (usually paired with a Bastion who just becomes unkillably broken).

I am rank 39ż and I am seeing less Torbjorn (thankfully) but lots of Bastion and a ton of teams running like 3 tanks regularly. The 3 tanks works rly well for deathballing bc Zarya functions incredibly well with D.Va and Roadhog.
Agreed. More than one tank a game is the most annoying thing to face. Played as Tracer today and had a hard time being a nuisance against two Reinhardts and a D.Va.

PASBL|FB|WF
Extroph's Tiny Art Shack
Trainer Level 3
C Grade Referee

Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #192
Sneaze
Mrow?

A very common setup at the elo I'm currently climbing out of (fuck the climb, made it up four ranks so far and am sitting at 48) is a Soldier, one flanker, Lucio for AoE heals, and then three tanks (usually D.Va, Rein, and Roadhog).

It's actually pretty disgusting and hard to deal with. On maps without heavy flanks, the flanker sometimes changes out to Zenyatta (holy hell this is genuinely disgusting) or Widowmaker (not a terrible idea given the wall of tanks prevents most flankers from getting to you and you have a bit of mobility).

Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #193
Extroph
Oreburgh's Very Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
A very common setup at the elo I'm currently climbing out of (fuck the climb, made it up four ranks so far and am sitting at 4 is a Soldier, one flanker, Lucio for AoE heals, and then three tanks (usually D.Va, Rein, and Roadhog).

It's actually pretty disgusting and hard to deal with. On maps without heavy flanks, the flanker sometimes changes out to Zenyatta (holy hell this is genuinely disgusting) or Widowmaker (not a terrible idea given the wall of tanks prevents most flankers from getting to you and you have a bit of mobility).
That just made me shudder to be completely honest.

I'm currently Rank 52. Had a losing streak last week due to my own incompetence as well as quitters, and I haven't played competitive since. It scarred me, man.

PASBL|FB|WF
Extroph's Tiny Art Shack
Trainer Level 3
C Grade Referee

Old 08-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #194
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

We need to do group competitive teams sometimes to make our ELO climbs less lonely, miserable, and filled with idiot Hanzos toking up with the mic on because that shows you how they don't bend to society's rules, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Lucio isn't actually mandatory in decent play, the issue is that at your level the deathball strat is easily the strongest (barely even deathball, you just group as 6 and kill anything that approaches you). Lucio shines in deathball as the only support with an aoe heal - the rest have single-target heals except for Ana (and hers has a cooldown). Because Lucio becomes significantly more powerful the more allies are around him, it's not hard to see why he's "mandatory" in your games.
I'm not sure "deathballing" is really a pejorative when grouping up and rolling through the enemy team once you get a pick is the basic pro play strat: even flankers aren't going to be fighting on the other side of the map for the most part and the current maps/modes incentivize sticking together to fight around a small area/single objective rather than being all over the fucking place. It's not like you can split push the Temple of Anubis.

And Lucio's also good because if you're with a mildly coordinated team you can BREAK IT DOWN while rushing a point like you're all Sonic the Hedgehog on a fuckton of coke.

IMO I also think Mercy is still fine, but with the release of Ana and Zenyatta no longer being Widowmaker bodyshot bait she actually has to compete for the support slot rather than being the default pick.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #195
Red Panda
head head bitch

idk I'm pretty shit and I pick Lucio bc he's so fucking braindead easy. Like no other hero can just afk in the middle of the team and win.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #196
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
I've been hearing a lot of super high elo players complaining about Genji. It's either you have the Genji comp or the counter Genji comp. Genji comp is usually Genji/Zen/Mercy or Lucio/Zarya/Winston/Filler iirc, and the Anti-Genji comp is basically McCree/Roadhog/Lucio/Filler. I don't know if it's actually true but it sounds like Genji is hyper centralizing (Sounds like another ninja most of us know *cough*Zed*cough*)

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #197
Zelphon
Caffeinated

clearly they just need to remove his double jump, increase the ult charge up time by 50% and make it so he can't deflect missiles and other explosives.

Edit: What happens if a Genji deflects an Ana's shot? Does she take damage or get healed?

Last edited by Zelphon; 08-06-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #198
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
I'm not sure "deathballing" is really a pejorative when grouping up and rolling through the enemy team once you get a pick is the basic pro play strat: even flankers aren't going to be fighting on the other side of the map for the most part and the current maps/modes incentivize sticking together to fight around a small area/single objective rather than being all over the fucking place. It's not like you can split push the Temple of Anubis.
I wasn't using it as a pejorative, just implying that players of that elo are basically not going to understand any strat more complicated than rushing an objective as 6. Which is why certain heroes who put a stop to that (mei comes IMMEDIATELY to mind) are also really strong :p
Old 08-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #199
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
>Zed hate

IS NO THREAD SAFE

>deathball

honestly prefer this to groups of 2-3 people fucking around in different parts of the map

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #200
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
We need to do group competitive teams sometimes to make our ELO climbs less lonely, miserable, and filled with idiot Hanzos toking up with the mic on because that shows you how they don't bend to society's rules, man
I would be 100% okay with this. If I get another fucking game where someone drops after two minutes I'm going to scream.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games