UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Sneaze
Mrow?

Robin Williams Dead

Robin Williams was found dead today after having commited suicide.

This is a truly sad day for comedy.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This is going to be one of those deaths which for a long time I'm not going to remember is even real. Like, I'll be wondering why I haven't seen him in a commercial or film in what feels like so long, and then I'll remember that it's because he died young.

Depression sucks. It's kinda crazy to think that he'd be depressed when we imagine he must have had "so much money" (even if that only amounted to a steady yearly income of ~$100,000, not the millions we so often imagine Hollywood celebrities make), when I reflect on the Nintendo of America appearances he's made alongside his daughter Zelda in recent years to promote Legend of Zelda games, when I read in your news story words from a wife who indicates that she did not see this coming and that she is devastated by it ... yeah, depression sucks like that. :\

We're sorry to have lost you, Robin. Rest in peace.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah a friend texted me this news after he used my Netflix to binge watch Robin Williams movies all day.

It's also a bit demoralizing to hear that the guy who puts smiles on your face is themselves depressed. And he has a new Night at the Museum movie coming up too.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

...And now I'm sad.
Wins- 24 ~ Losses- 14 ~ Draws- 1
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15
Current Number of Pokemon on the Squad: 38

Friend Codes:
Spoiler: show
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

X- FS- Gyarados, Bibarel, Poliwhirl; 0645-5911-9507
ROFLMAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

D: So many good actors dying recently. Man I'll miss Robin a ton.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Sad news. I don't know a lot of actors/cultural figures, but Robin Williams is one of those beloved icons who will be missed. *salutes the man who named his daughter Zelda*

To follow up on Talon's and Loki's comments, the circumstances remind me of JewWario's (a YouTuber previously affiliated with thatguywiththeglasses.com) sudden suicide back in January. Never knew of the guy or watched his videos, but it's disheartening to hear when a person who presents a cheerful public image is actually battling severe depression. He even locked himself in the bathroom and shot himself with his wife on the other side of the door, according to her facebook post confirmation... Condolences and support to her and Robin Williams' wife/family, as well as anyone with loved ones suffering from depression.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
His death speaks more about the tragedy of isolation society creates rather than life simply taking away a beloved actor (who was still contributing) to us.

I can only hope Williams' afterlife plays out something like this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #8
deh74
Noted homosexual

I posted this on Facebook a minute ago, I feel like it could go here too.

It is no longer a good morning in Vietnam. The Genie's lamp will shine no more. The sun has risen on the museum. God bless you Robin Williams, may you at long last find peace and happiness. Thank you so much for all the times you made us laugh until we cried, you comedic genius. The saddest thing about your passing is how even though you were going through horrible depression, you still put on your happy face and made us laugh. So goodnight Vietnam, for the genie has finally been set free.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Been listening to the news coverage of Robin Williams for the last few hours, and heard beautiful contributions reached out, so kind of feeling silly about being at a loss of good words. What I can say is Mr. Williams was one of my favorite comedians and actors.

I was reminded JUST how much of a good human being he was too when I heard of the charities he made, how kind and gentle and personable he was with people, and how quick and witty his humor it was. The irony is not lost on me that I found the urge to look at his wikipedia article last night (Sunday) for whatever reason. I wasn't sure how many films I had seen with him.... 10? 12? 15? When I checked his Wikipedia article again tonight, it was 20.

"Weapons of Self Destruction" was supreme stand-up. "Aladdin"s Genie was a character I grew up with. "Mrs. Doubtfire" was the first adult movie I found funny as a kid. "Nanu nanu" was one of the funniest things I used to love to impersonate as a hyper 5 year old when the "Mork and Mindy" reruns were on Nick at Nite. "Patch Adams" is a favorite childhood memory I have, seeing it with my sis, cousins, and aunt many years ago. In more recent years, he played an EXCELLENT Teddy Roosevelt in "Night at the Museum" 1 and 2. "Dead Poets Society" and "Good Will Hunting" followed up "Good Morning Vietnam" in showing me that this funny man could play great serious roles too!

Williams could even tone it down and STILL be funny in such kid movies as "Jumanji", "Hook" and "Flubber". The last, but not last, movie I saw him in featured him playing an excellent and convincing Dwight Eisenhower in "The Butler". Looking forward to the third "Night at the Museum" movie this December. Thank you for the years of genuine funny-cards and silliness which always put a smile on my face, Robin!

To anyone out there condemning his decision, I will speak as someone who has suffered from depression, it is not something to be condemned when someone takes their life, but something to be reflected and learned from. May you find laughter and true and lasting happiness in the great beyond Mr. Williams.... you gave us years of laughter, may the living on earth now honor your memory!

P.S. Was just remind on the news about how Williams ALSO did stand-up for troops overseas, and read Talon's post about William's appearances at release events for Zelda games!
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I was asleep when the news broke so woke up with it at half-6. Gone through my shift hearing it on the news every hour. Seriously gutted. I think I'm actually more cut up about this than my own grandmother's death a couple months ago (which admittedly I saw coming about half a year before it happened), mostly due to the sudden nature of it. He was a great, funny guy and will be sorely missed.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Oh, fuck you 2014. You were holding back with the gun of celebrity killing until just now.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

Man I saw this at work today, swore in front of new boss, so very sad. What strikes me is that no-one agrees on a single favourite film or favourite quote of his. He touched so many people and was so talented. Admittedly he tapered off very slightly with age but who doesn't? I loved him as a kid, I loved his old and new stuff as an adult, he was generous with his time and money. Great guy.

At the same time, though, this has generated three stories on the BBC website that are in the top 10 recommended looks for the day. This when thousands of people are dying in wars across the planet every day, disease is ravaging large bits of Africa every day and every day sees a new example of a murder or an abuse case. Robin Williams was a rich white actor, he shouldn't be getting this much coverage even if the momentary exposure for oft overlooked issues like suicide and mental illness is positive.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

People care about family more than strangers. It's a long-known fact, one that the celebrity gossip industry thrives on, that human beings subconsciously accept beloved television and cinema actors as a pseudo "part of their families," that there's this idea of us having welcomed them into our homes (via the television) again and again. You would be more torn up about a parent of yours dying than 287 strangers aboard a downed jumbo jet. Similarly, people care about Robin Williams more than Darfur or the Ukraine because he's like a surrogate uncle or second cousin whereas those places, for many, are nothing more than geopolitical buzzwords.

I agree that it's disappointing how much time and emotion people invest in celebrity journalism. But it's simply a part of who we are as people. Frontal cortex-wise, we understand that the relationship is one-way, that the celebrity doesn't know who we are and doesn't care about us the way we care about them. But we still care. We become fans, we follow their careers, we become vicariously happy when they marry or have children, and we mourn when they suffer or die.

A friend of mine went in to the hospital at 7am yesterday. His newborn son had to have open-heart surgery to correct a congenital defect. The surgery was a success, but he's still in the hospital today as his son recovers. The proximity of my friend's experience to Robin Williams' death has given me my own complex thoughts about the grief the world is showering on him. Part of me wonders as to whether, in some small way, we should be condemning him for his suicide, for throwing away his privileged life, when there are so many people in this world struggling to survive, who would give anything to trade places with Williams. Most of me has the answers that I'm sure many of you would ready if I didn't stay your hands , but a small part of me still does wonder.

Suicide sucks. Period. I don't know what drove him to do it. I only wish someone of us could have helped.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #14
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
He was a good man. Depression can suffocate and stifle you, even when it seems invisible. I hope wherever Robin Williams is, he finds some peace at last. In some hope to honour him, I changed my avatar to one of him from a film that inspired me to take charge of my own life. Robin Williams was inspirational, and he changed the life of a young, twelve year-old boy who didn't know what to do with his future.

Thank you, Mister Williams.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Two new things to share. First, the classic Pagliacci joke applied to Williams' death. I think it's fair to say it fits pretty damn well. Second, even Koko the Gorilla, who met Williams in 2001, reportedly mourned after being informed of his passing. The Gorilla Foundation explains that when Koko met Williams, it was six months after the passing of her lifelong gorilla companion, Michael, and that her trainers had not seen her smile once during that time until Williams' visit. It's remarkable that she remembers this man whom, from what I can tell, she only met once. But it also reflects that Robin Williams really did touch so many lives and that he is sorely missed.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Not surprising, prayers go to the family, hope they are coping well. Rest in peace.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #17
Sneaze
Mrow?

Sadly, faring well doesn't seem to be the case for the family, as it seems that his daughter, Zelda, was basically forced off of social media entirely by people both badgering her to post more pictures of her father (which she multiple times replied to stating they are private and she didn't want to) or outright criticizing her father after having found out that his death was a suicide.

My hatred of humanity knows no bounds.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It didn't help that she's a cute girl and a lot of the trolls were young men.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Sad for the family he left behind and my prayers go out to them but I find it incredibly hard to feel sad or sorry for William himself seeing as how he killed himself.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...fe-1201283014/

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #21
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Sad for the family he left behind and my prayers go out to them but I find it incredibly hard to feel sad or sorry for William himself seeing as how he killed himself.
Really dude, really?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
You don't feel the slightest bit sorry for him, considering the fact that he felt so bad he thought the only way out was to exit stage right?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #23
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

The other day, I went to Robin Williams' house to hang out. When I got there, I realized he decided to do it without me.

Though seriously, it does kinda suck he died. I mean, I was no huge fan of him or anything, but a comedian dieing is always a tragedy. Why can't some asshole like Tom Cruise die?

Robin Williams did star in one of my favorite movies, even if he wasn't exactly playing himself. Can't beat The Big White.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #24
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

You don't feel the slightest bit sorry for him, considering the fact that he felt so bad he thought the only way out was to exit stage right?
If you not only live in a first world country like America but also have everything he did, and you decide to commit suicide you're a selfish idiot. I don't feel sorry for selfish idiots.

Plenty of people who have shittier lives then he did who are walking around not hanging themselves.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #25
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

...you don't understand depression do you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc