UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Talon & Kuno <3 Kyonko

Clearly Blastoise is out of the loop, so I'll try explaining things to him in memes:
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Talon & Kuno <3 Kyonko

Better yet:
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Hm? I don't get it. What's Kyonko? Is it some Haruhi thing cause I might be out of the loop otherwise. <.<

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Already seen it on 4chan.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise
Already seen it on 4chan.
Nah, really? You'd have to be blind to have not seen this on a chan by now. As stated, I was explaining the cross-gender craze in terms you could easily understand, if not appreciate. There's little point in showing you pictures from XChange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor
Hm? I don't get it. What's Kyonko? Is it some Haruhi thing cause I might be out of the loop otherwise. <.<
Yeah, it's a thing that started at least a couple months ago with several different individuals. At least two different artists have been writing 4komas; at least one guy has been taking screencaps and editing them; and most everyone else has been offering fanart or official art from other series (e.g. Lucky Star) modified into Kyonko.

Like any of the great anime fandom parodies from the last 5 years, this one got its start in Japan (*sigh*) and is still 90% grounded there; but there are some fans over here who are beginning to sink their teeth into it. (One of these days, I'm confident we'll be the ones to start a fad that doesn't begin in '/' or involve image macros.) I don't think it will be capable of the longevity enjoyed by the OS-tans because they were able to evolve beyond OSes and to incorporate hardware and non-OS software whereas Kyonko is more likely to get tiresome even for fans of Haruhi, never mind the legions of trolls who fundamentally hate Haruhi and therefore hate Kyonko just as much.

If you dislike Haruhi, *shrug*. If you like Haruhi, then I imagine you'd be as spastic as me about wanting to see this brilliant fan concept incorporated into at least one of the novels before the author calls it quits.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Lady Kuno

I looked it up a bit and I'm not that big of a fan of alternate universes. XP Not unless they travel to them in a Sliders-like fashion.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Considering the entire concept behind Haruhi is that she is capable of redefining the Universe on a whim, a Haruki & Kyonko crossover makes perfect sense. Considering the first novel already established that Haruhi considers herself open to bisexuality, she certainly has to have wondered to herself "What it would be like if I was the guy and Kyon was the girl?" And then, whammo. Insta-universe conversion. With Kyonko and the rest having to figure out a way to get Haruki to return things back to normal.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Lady Kuno

Well that's different. From what I read it would just be as if though it was always the alternate universe.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some fans would prefer that, and I think that's probably how the ball got rolling, so you certainly "read it right", whatever your source was; however, what I've proposed above is (a) my hopes for how the author could justifiably bring this fandom idea into one (and just one) novel as the centerpiece for the plot and (b) a way in which it would believably work given what we already know about Suzumiya Haruhi from the portions of Books 1, 2, and 4 that made it into the first season.

Personally, I see the Kyonko idea as an incredibly fun side-quest from the main story, but when the sun sets and the day is done I'm 100% happy with the genders as they're currently assigned. Except Itsuki, who continues to weird me out.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Lady Kuno

I never actually read the novels. >.>

Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I own the first nine. lol I have read (in Japanese) the first half of Book 1, but I was largely aided by previous knowledge from the anime and by a kanji dictionary I was consulting every 3rd character. This was back in Summer 2006 when it first aired. I haven't attempted to read the books since, although I have noticed that my Japanese reading skills seem to be still pretty sharp thanks to all the reading of hentai I do >_> , so I guess if I ever formally pick the language up again and/or go to Japan for a year, I would probably be able to make use of the ~$70 spent.

All I can say is, the dialogue in Haruhi is damn easy, but Kyon's narrative is insane. There's nothing I hate more than having to consult a dictionary every single sentence, not because you don't know the vocabulary but because you can't read it. @_@
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Hahaha, Talon's second upload is gold.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Shouldn't this viral crap be in the anime forum? And one of the first Kyonko images surfaced nearly a year ago whys it only caught on now exactly?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
And one of the first Kyonko images surfaced nearly a year ago whys it only caught on now exactly?
That's a fine question. I wondered about the very same when the images just started to surface.

The correct answer is Futaba Channel recently had an influx of newbies, the majority of which are "underaged ban" who are severely lacking in quantities of lurk and more. Nevertheless, a lot of people were still surprised at the sheer number of these kiddies when "CaramelDansen" became popular again. It's been dead for several years yet suddenly surges in popularity because of these people.

Short answer is - Kyonko classic appeared a year too early. That, and the original "ok" genderbending shops spread like wildfire among Futaba's newbies because they were rumoured to have been done by a girl.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc