UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #101
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I'll make my own anime. And it'll have Blackjack! And hookers! You know what, forget the anime!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #102
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
You know what? I think I'm going to quote that.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #103
Loki

Bender jokes. They're used to death, but never stop being funny.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm telling you guys, it's ideas were based off of Muv-Luv Alternative, which was intended for mature audiences (and not just because of the sex). SnK is a shounen manga, albeit one for "older teens", so it's fundamentally never going to go that far.

Sorry for SnK letting you down Loki, I know how disillusioned you are toward anime/manga, so it's kind of sad to see your hopes get dashed on the pavement like that! Join us for LOTGH this summer, it's legit!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #105
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus
Hm... I would actually strongly advise you against your action if only
Largely off topic reply goooooooooo!

Part 1:
I'm sorry to have to play the card, but ... well, I was curious to see what your anime experience was, given what a strong fan you seem to be of this series, and ...

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Movie)
Prince of Tennis (partial)
Pokemon (DPP seasons)
My Neighbor Totoro (Movie)
Ponyo (Movie)
Miscellaneous Pokemon Movies
Yeah. Yeaaaaaaaaaah. ^^; With a list like that, I'm not at all surprised you're such a big fan of this series. It's practically your first! If we strip your list of all the Ghibli movies (including Ghibli films is practically cheating anyway ) and Pokémon-related stuff, what we're left with is ...
Quote:
Prince of Tennis (partial)
One. Single. Anime. ^^;;

Does the fact that you've seen so little prove we're right about SnK being kinda meh? Well no, no it doesn't. You could've seen zero anime in your life before touching SnK and it wouldn't necessarily mean anything about whether it was objectively a good story or not, a good anime or not, a good manga or not, etc. But the fact that you have admittedly seen so, so little makes me wonder if part of your enthusiasm stems from the fact that this series is better than the crap they show on television 90% of the time now in the West, i.e. the stuff I assume you're used to watching.

Part 2:
That stated ... my own argument starts to encounter some resistance when I take a gander at your manga repertoire:

Quote:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
Prince of Tennis
New Prince of Tennis
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Nisekoi
Girl the Wild's
Dear, Only you don't know
Ao No Exorcist
The World God Only Knows
Cage of Eden
Shokugeki no Soma
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei
Denpa Kyoushi
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Hunter X Hunter
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Trinity Seven
Medaka Box
Kurogane (KEZAWA Haruto)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Hayate the Combat Butler
Pokemon Adventures
Buyuden
Bakuman
Akarui Sekai Keikaku
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Rising x Rydeen
Kuroshitsuji
Pandora Hearts
1/2 Prince
Shaman King Flowers
One-Punch Man
Area no Kishi
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Black Cat
Dr. Slump
Rave Master
Leave it to P.E.T.!
Full Metal Alchemist
Psyren
Silver Spoon
Eyeshield 21
Death Note
Shaman King
Dragon Drive
Yotsubato!
xxxHolic
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
Even if we delete everything listed here that I recognize as being part of Shounen Jump's catalog, that still leaves us with:
Quote:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
Fairy Tail
Nisekoi
Girl the Wild's
Dear, Only you don't know
Ao No Exorcist
The World God Only Knows
Cage of Eden
Shokugeki no Soma
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei
Denpa Kyoushi
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Trinity Seven
Medaka Box
Kurogane (KEZAWA Haruto)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Hayate the Combat Butler
Pokemon Adventures
Buyuden
Bakuman
Akarui Sekai Keikaku
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Rising x Rydeen
Kuroshitsuji
Pandora Hearts
1/2 Prince
One-Punch Man
Area no Kishi
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Rave Master
Leave it to P.E.T.!
Full Metal Alchemist
Psyren
Silver Spoon
Dragon Drive
Yotsubato!
xxxHolic
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
Some of those could still be Shonen Jump, but if they are I either don't recognize them as such or else I've never heard of them. Either way, it's not really important. The point is, the list is still considerably diverse and long even when stripped of the Narutos and the Bleaches and such.

So what do I make of this then? Well ...

The first possibility is, you just have different tastes from Loki's (and probably mine too).

The second possibility is, you haven't read much of the material which we personally rate 10/10, 9/10, or 8/10. (Speaking for myself, I can certainly see that this is the case. Your list is devoid of X/1999, Planetes, Genshiken, Chobits, Hikaru no Go, and many other manga series which I either have both read and have seen the anime version of or else have just seen the anime version of; either way I rated these series quite highly.) In other words, your tastes may line up with ours after all, but it's just that you haven't seen what we've seen, despite your impressive list of manga read.

The third possibility is Other.

One thing you can try out is checking out our MyAnimeList.net anime lists. Here's my account, and here's my anime list. Here's lilbluecorsola's account, and here's Midgeorge's, and here's Deoxys's, and kaisap112's, and dosuser's. Give folks' lists a look and a) see if you find anything that they rated highly for which the plot premise catches your interest, and b) see if you can pick out particular users who seem to have read or seen a lot of the same stuff that you have and who seem to have rated it about as highly or lowly as you did.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm telling you guys, it's ideas were based off of Muv-Luv Alternative, which was intended for mature audiences (and not just because of the sex). SnK is a shounen manga, albeit one for "older teens", so it's fundamentally never going to go that far.
Are you telling me Muv-Luv has ...

Neon Genesis Evangelion spoilers

Gainax's retarded "humans who got turned into mechas" mechas? Because I know it sure doesn't have fleshy giants proper. I know Muv-Luv has mechas. So if it has stupid Evangelion "human mechas", I'm out before I was ever in.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #106
Loki

Don't want to play a click read click read click read click unzip pants click click click game sorry.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #107
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Yeah, Continuation of off topicness, sorry to do this >.> [/endtopicafterthis]

I'm a big lover of manga and anime, I really am. I just prefer to read manga because it's faster, and one chapter doesn't take 30 minutes of my time. and I can't resist not knowing what happens if the chapter is there to read

Also, that said, I've actually read Hikaru no Go, and loved it. (Did you know that he participated in the making of Bakuman? :/) So I'm pretty sure it's not #1. #3 is #3. So, #2, which I would be happy to try out.

Aannndd, that response was absolutely pointless.

Last edited by Fallen Icarus; 06-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Fallen Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #108
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Are you telling me Muv-Luv has ...

Neon Genesis Evangelion spoilers

Gainax's retarded "humans who got turned into mechas" mechas? Because I know it sure doesn't have fleshy giants proper. I know Muv-Luv has mechas. So if it has stupid Evangelion "human mechas", I'm out before I was ever in.
It's a hard sci-fi story, so no biological pseudo-science like that. It does take a lot from Evangelion, but more in the setting and style than in the nature of the story.

There is a bit of magic/"super science" but it's done extremely well. "Here is plot device w. It has properties x, y, and z, which allow us to do a, b, and c". However, there's a lot of intricate detail that you have to go through before the story stops explaining and settles on the plot device, so in that respect it's a nerd's wet dream because the universe is so well thought out you could pose a lot of Frodo questions and go through like ten cycles before Kouki tells you to just accept it and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Don't want to play a click read click read click read click unzip pants click click click game sorry.
Try a few, you may learn to love interactive PowerPoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
Yeah, Continuation of off topicness, sorry to do this >.> [/endtopicafterthis]

I'm a big lover of manga and anime, I really am. I just prefer to read manga because it's faster, and one chapter doesn't take 30 minutes of my time. and I can't resist not knowing what happens if the chapter is there to read

Also, that said, I've actually read Hikaru no Go, and loved it. (Did you know that he participated in the making of Bakuman? :/) So I'm pretty sure it's not #1. #3 is #3. So, #2, which I would be happy to try out.

Aannndd, that response was absolutely pointless.
That's youth speaking, right there.

Like you I used to prefer manga, when I could gobble a large quantity of manga and was mostly a shounen guy, but as I've gotten older and my tastes have matured, I've become a lot more selective and largely prefer presentation and quality to quantity. I don't advocate you stop doing what you like at all, you are only young (anime/manga wise) once. I kind of miss the days when I could read generic manga with stereotypical stock scenarios and characters and not get pissed off. I am nostalgic for a more innocent time when I was trying to be vehemently asexual despite nature pulling the other way, instead of being a legitimately passionless curmudgeon.

I can recommend some pretty cool manga (from my perspective) for you, if you'd like to try it out. I have no idea how you'd take to them, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-10-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #109
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Try a few, you may learn to love interactive PowerPoint.
Played a bunch. Don't care for them anymore. Even Sengoku Rance, which has an actual game attached to it is hard to keep playing.

/topicallovertheplace
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #110
Loki

So I kind of wanted to confirm my suspicions about the series and decided to read a few chapters ahead in the manga.

Conclusion:
Yeah. I'm so dropping this.

Why: (This will definitely spoil you if you haven't read ahead)
They're going for the cheapest tactics. Let's introduce a bunch of hollow characters that become chummy with the main cast. THEN KILL THEM OFF! The author tries to invoke sadness or emotion and call it character building. NO. They were dumb characters to begin with. We never got to know them in any realistic way. So no, I wasn't sad when they died. I wasn't even really shocked. It was like watching ants get stomped. I don't shed tears for completely disposable characters.

The rest I won't even bother with. But yeah, this story became the most basic shonen crap. Eren's character is extremely hollow and rage against the titans is his only character trait.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #111
deoxys
Fog Badge

Goddammit Loki, we're all in this together. How can the book club talk about this week's chapter if you finished the book?

No one watches Aku no Hana
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #112
Loki

I didn't give away specifics. I only read a bit, not all of it. But it was enough to really turn me off and confirmed all of my suspicions.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #113
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
No one watches Aku no Hana
Not really sure how you can complain, considering I'm the only person to have posted with thoughts on the episodes two weeks in a row now. (And no, your one-sentence joke for Episode 09 doesn't count. )

Quote:
I didn't give away specifics. I only read a bit, not all of it. But it was enough to really turn me off and confirmed all of my suspicions.
Out of curiosity (since you read ahead), how far are we in the manga and how far ahead was your information that put the final nail in the coffin?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #114
Loki

The anime is probably like chapter 10ish. It's fairly slow paced and some of the 'boot camp years' were moved around (they appear as flashbacks in the manga apparently), so that's not exactly precise. I stopped around 28. Maybe I hit 30.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #115
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay, wow. So you got about as far as we're likely to get. (The anime is slated for 25 episodes, last I heard.)

I will resist the temptation to ask you what it is that you saw / read that's so put you off, but if I had to guess, it's probably the spoiler of Fallen Icarus's that I got spoiled with several discussions back.

WARNING! Manga spoiler! Don't click if you don't want to know!

When Morg speculated that the wall-scaler was Eren's father, and that the reason he "teleported away" so quickly was because he just reverted to his normal size, Fallen Icarus temporarily confirmed that this was right (well, not exactly. He said some things that like 99% confirmed it). I told him off and then he edited his post to prevent spoiling others.

Is this the development that you read about which you find really stupid? Or is there some other development that you found to be really dumb? This is the only spoiler I myself am aware of, so if it's something else, don't say what it is. :p Unless you think it'll put us all out of our misery in which case GO AHEAD! nah you probably still shouldn't. XP
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #116
Loki

No. Everything is stupid.

As it turns out, the planetoid they are on is Titan. Earth terraformed the moon of Saturn ages ago and was bought by a large group of LARPers. They had intended to use the moon as the biggest middle age high fantasy game possible. There was a rule set in play that no one could mention it was a game and had to keep roleplaying. Earth was supposed to help support the players with supplies and extra home bases, but over time they realized LARPers are lame and decided it would be best to crank up the difficulty and let them just die off without giving them anything else.

The citadel or whatever was originally designed as the home base, which is safe from Titans. After 100 years, all the original LARPers have died and their children are forced to keep roleplaying with their crappy gear against difficulty level 10 Titans without realizing it was all a game.

Having been a century since Earth abandoned the LARPers, Earth thought the moon would be free and clear for regular human settlement. Unfortunately their satellites found that the adventure is still going on and that the population is still playing the game. So Earth created new Titans to break the siege on the homebase so the game would finally end and LARPing would be something they never mention ever again.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #117
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
No. Everything is stupid.

As it turns out, the planetoid they are on is Titan. Earth terraformed the moon of Saturn ages ago and was bought by a large group of LARPers. They had intended to use the moon as the biggest middle age high fantasy game possible. There was a rule set in play that no one could mention it was a game and had to keep roleplaying. Earth was supposed to help support the players with supplies and extra home bases, but over time they realized LARPers are lame and decided it would be best to crank up the difficulty and let them just die off without giving them anything else.

The citadel or whatever was originally designed as the home base, which is safe from Titans. After 100 years, all the original LARPers have died and their children are forced to keep roleplaying with their crappy gear against difficulty level 10 Titans without realizing it was all a game.

Having been a century since Earth abandoned the LARPers, Earth thought the moon would be free and clear for regular human settlement. Unfortunately their satellites found that the adventure is still going on and that the population is still playing the game. So Earth created new Titans to break the siege on the homebase so the game would finally end and LARPing would be something they never mention ever again.
If this were really true, man oh man would Shingeki no Kyojin be the stupidest series I've seen in years.

But I take it from your post that the reality doesn't strike you as being much better? ^^;
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #118
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Manga Spoilers (Somewhat safe for Talon) Second one is not.
Eh, Talon no. The wall-scaler is a human, but he's not Eren's father. :/ This is actually found out towards the recent chapters, so Loki probably hasn't read that part yet.

What Loki found dumb is the part where
practically all the side characters die.
Which, in all honesty, was dumb.

>Loki's reality

If that happened, the author would probably be hunted with pitchforks and torches, and the SnK tankobon would probably be burned in a bonfire.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #119
deoxys
Fog Badge

Saw this today, laughed my ass off. Figured it belonged here.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #120
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That got several chuckles out of me.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #121
Loki

I swear, that show's intro is more popular than the show itself. You can practically Google search "Shingeki no Kyojin" + ANYTHING and find a variation.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #122
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I swear, that show's intro is more popular than the show itself. You can practically Google search "Shingeki no Kyojin" + ANYTHING and find a variation.
Same happened with Nyaruko-san, if I've understood correctly. To the point where a blogger wrote about the second season: "Okay, the OP single's out, we can all stop watching this crap now!"

And the Kyojin OP is good. Very good. I believe that when the series is over, if there is one thing no one will be able to complain about, it'll be the OP. (Yes, I'm a total idealist like that.)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #123
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
And the Kyojin OP is good. Very good. I believe that when the series is over, if there is one thing no one will be able to complain about, it'll be the OP. (Yes, I'm a total idealist like that.)
Too late. ^_^; Not really a fan. Song's okay but I wouldn't want it on my iPhone. Visuals are likewise okay but don't appeal to me. I have to skip the OP every time I watch or else it crashes my video player, but even if I didn't have to do this I think this might be an OP I'd skip or tune out during anyway. ^^;
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #124
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm in the "I wuv the OP" crew, wish a full single would come out already and not these chimeric monstrosities.

I did not know Nyarko's OP was more popular than the show. Surprising, given her personality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #125
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Speaking of SnK music, I came across this masterpiece the other day. I love it so much I could mistake this for a Hans Zimmer piece. Just so well written and amazingly well layered and built up. There are other songs I've heard from the series I've really noticed as well, but I haven't found them anywhere.

As much as the series has gone downhill plot wise, I still really really enjoy the music. I don't think I've heard a song that hasn't gone perfectly with the scene, and when I haven't had my brain turned off, no matter how ridiculous the scene is the music gives it that impact that it needs.

I'm only really a fan of the OP because its fun to play on Osu. Its not something i'd sit down and listen to like Lilium from Elfen Lied or Karma from Phantom, but its a nice song that fits the series, and the opening art is pretty great as well.

So, SnK as a whole so far? Animation and Music: Fantastic. Character & Plot Development: Not so fantastic. I don't think I can rate the series as it stands, but I'll see where next episode takes me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime