Old 06-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #2652
Mercutio
Banned

All legitimate and accurate concerns.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #2653
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How Chileans feel about the upcoming game with the Netherlands (Source)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #2654
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #2655
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
So I guess this goes in this thread?

It's in Dutch/Flemish but you can easily get the gist of it while it's on mute.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #2656
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nothing new, but still: depressing, scary stuff out of the radical feminist wing of society. Some samples below (that ended up becoming like half of what he posted, whoops):

What ................... the fuck. Now, just imagine if the gender roles were reversed ...

There's nothing wrong with having a gender preference for one's children, but this woman takes it way too far. Her misanthropy is so extreme that it begs the question, "How do you justify to yourself your relationship with your husband? "

Putting aside what a terribly repressive idea this is, I wonder what she'd think if we said, "Sure! So long as the law is fairly and equally applied and we also illegalize misanthropic statements or claims ..."

The auto-completion list of suggestions that results on Tumblr when you type in "men are" and leave it hanging. Unbelievable. Again, imagine the outcry if the gender roles were reversed.

Sooooooo ... are you an anti-Semite too? Because you're calling for the eradication of men as though it's a good thing and in the same breath you yourself are choosing to compare this course of action with the Holocaust.

Okay, seriously, people ...

Again, imagine if the gender roles were reversed ...

Whatever happened to the words of Bill S. Preston, Esq.?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #2657
Mercutio
Banned

Hmm. It's a shame, there's so much about the world that really does need to change and move towards or beyond a feminist perspective but I do find it amusing that people think asking for a date is sexual harassment now.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #2658
Selena
Aroma Lady

OK wow, just... I'm hoping Poe's law is in effect here, otherwise I lost some faith in humanity.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #2659
Heather
Naga's Voice

The problem here is that its the extremists are the ones getting the most attention, and since people don't do their homework (and hence figure out that these are extremist views), people take that to be the face of feminism, and hence they mock it, which spoils the game for everyone, even the moderates. I'm a guy and I know there's a problem with (a severe lack of) gender equality, but there's a way to go about fixing it, and the extremism that largely dominates what we see is not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #2660
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

You cannot cite a Daily Mail article and expect me to take your argument seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #2661
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
You cannot cite a Daily Mail article and expect me to take your argument seriously.
1. Whose argument?

2. Unless you're going to seriously allege that the Daily Mail is a work in satire, I don't see why people cannot cite articles in the Daily Mail as examples of humanity's heights and lows. It may be sensationalist but so long as it isn't satire the person expressing those views sincerely believes in his/her position. It's similar to if we wanted to cite statements by political extremists in the United States as examples of humanity's ignorance or stupidity. You'd be right to argue that these individuals do not represent the majority of Americans but it would be wrong to dismiss discussion of their views entirely.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #2662
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
The Daily Mail is well known for completely fabricating most of its contents from whole cloth, and I am not exaggerating that. It's success if primarily down to generating outrage and they know it - that's the goal with which their articles are written. Not to present any kind of genuine opinion. It's not a real news source and it doesn't try to be.

There are four actual national British newspapers that don't deliberately invent and exaggerate and instead make a genuine effort to present news; the Guardian, the Independant, the Times and the Telegraph.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #2663
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
The Daily Mail is well known for completely fabricating most of its contents from whole cloth, and I am not exaggerating that. It's success if primarily down to generating outrage and they know it - that's the goal with which their articles are written. Not to present any kind of genuine opinion. It's not a real news source and it doesn't try to be.
What does it say, then, when the Daily Mail article feels one of the tamest of the samples provided? ^^;

But okay then, scratch that one from the list if it's likely to be a complete fabrication, one which does not express its author's sincere views.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #2664
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Well, I wouldn't say well-known. I did not know about the Daily Mail prior to the Kanye West-Nelson Mandela article from earlier this year, which indeed had my outraged/laughing for a few paragraphs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #2665
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Well known in the UK, being a British paper. I couldn't name more than one American paper (the New York Times would be all I could manage). For a Brit to not know what the Daily Mail is and what it's like would be like an American having never heard of CNN.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #2666
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Well known in the UK, being a British paper. I couldn't name more than one American paper (the New York Times would be all I could manage).
Neither can I.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #2667
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
At least the Daily Mail can be used as decent toilet paper. I wouldn't even use The Sun to wipe my arse.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #2668
Mercutio
Banned

It's a little different for the US because there isn't really a truly 'national' paper, where the UK has half a dozen with good circulation nationwide (the Sun in Liverpool being a notable exception). I think I can name three or four strong US papers.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #2669
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a little different for the US because there isn't really a truly 'national' paper, where the UK has half a dozen with good circulation nationwide (the Sun in Liverpool being a notable exception). I think I can name three or four strong US papers.
The famous ones that come to mind include:
  • the New York Times
  • the Chicago Tribune
  • the Los Angeles Tribuneithink? ^^;
  • the Wall Street Journal
  • the Washington Post
  • the Saturday Evening Post (historically)
Then locally we have:
  • the Indianapolis Star
  • the Lafayette Journal & Carrier
  • the Purdue Exponent (student newspaper)
But I only know the names. I read none of them. (Read the Exponent while in school but not after.) Didn't grow up in a paper-reading family and in general I feel like newspapers don't make sense when there are free digital alternatives, mostly attached to television news like the BBC, that are just as good.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #2670
Mercutio
Banned

I occasionally read the NYT and Washington Post on line, as well as a few Huff and Time articles.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #2671
Red Panda
head head bitch

Talon's got the main US ones. CT has the Journal Inquirer and Hartford Courant. Probably more.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #2672
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I occasionally read the NYT and Washington Post on line, as well as a few Huff and Time articles.
I'm not sure if it's different for those in the UK, but there are many articles on the American newspapers' websites which are only accessible in America to subscribers. That's partly what motivates myself and many others to reference news sites like CNN, Fox News, the BBC, etc. instead of checking in on the New York Times. For the sake of science, let me go there right now and check.

Front page offers no apparent problems. Let's try the top headline. Front headline loads without problem.

Side note: one reason not to read the NYT, I guess, would be uncalled-for remarks like this:
Quote:
The two teams [Brazil and Mexico] are in the driver's seat to advance to the next round, barring something remarkable from pointless Croatia or Cameroon.
Really? "Pointless Croatia"? Croatia won't play Mexico until June 23: and if Croatia plays anything like they played against Brazil, and if Mexico likewise plays anything like they played against Brazil, a Croatia victory would certainly not be out of the question. As for Croatia vs. Cameroon, that game is tomorrow -- meaning that this journalist has written off Croatia's chances to exit the preliminary round as winners after only witnessing a single game: their highly remarked-upon game versus host nation Brazil.

Back to our hunt. I got tired (after only two three articles ) of trying to find a subscription-only article just by clicking around. So I decided to randomly Google some stuff. After those articles loaded with success as well, I decided to investigate what the NYT subscription model is. And I found this on their site:

Quote:
3. What if I don't want to subscribe — can I still read NYTimes.com for free?

Visitors can enjoy 10 free articles (including blog posts, slide shows and other multimedia features) each calendar month on NYTimes.com, as well as unrestricted access to browse the home page, section fronts, blog fronts and classifieds. Times Premier content is not available as part of these 10 free articles.
So there you have it. Their old model was (or, at least based on my previous experiences, I had thought was) one where you could only access maybe 10% to 20% of the site for free but the other 80% to 90% was for subscribers only. It looks like now (or, if I'm mistaken, for a long time / since always ) their model works around the free samples business model: they'll let people check out ten articles free of charge but then lock them out of seeing anything else until the next month rolls around. So like, for me, I guess my ten articles for the month of June 2014 are going to include one article about Benghazi, three articles about the World Cup, and one or two random articles. I guess that if I were to try and look at much more I would run out my quota pretty quickly.

Compare this vs. the BBC, CNN, Fox News, and the other television news networks who offer free content 24/7 with no apparent restrictions.

The only reason I can think of for wanting to pay for a newspaper subscription in America in this day and age is a mix of brand loyalty and faith that the newspaper team is more competent and more likely has your best interests at heart than do the megacorp television news networks. I think, for example, that this is what singlehandedly keeps the Wall Street Journal afloat: people who purchase the WSJ have confidence that this is a newspaper written by people like them (or, better yet, people whom they admire) for people like them. That it has more journalistic integrity, is less error-prone, etc. than the likes of CNN and Fox News.

I suppose a good analogy would be if UPN were a site for paying members only while Serebii was free to the public. The only reason you'd ever pay for a UPN account is if you believed that it was buying you an experience that a) you couldn't possibly have on Serebii and which b) was very much worth having even if it meant it cost money. I suppose that such a UPN would be analogous to a NYT or a WSJ in that sense: you're paying to read supposedly well-written/better-written articles by people who are more like yourself and/or who you respect.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #2673
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah the subscriber rule is irritating on things I read a lot but I'll be lucky to read one NYT article a month.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #2674
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yes, The Daily Fail sucks. They (and other papers) got trolled by somebody pretending to be friends with Elliot Rodgers, and convinced the journalist that he went on a shooting spree because he was addicted to "the mood altering bodybuilding drug creatine" lol, creatine is a completely harmless supplement that you can buy in the supermarket.

http://www.americanluxurymag.com/201.../#.U6DFs7TOeUk

Speaking of sensationalist newspapers and soccer, who can forget this notorious headline from the last World Cup:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/a...0_1064498a.jpg

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 06-17-2014 at 05:51 PM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #2675
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I tend to associate the British papers with more respectable journalism. NYT isn't bad, but its scope of focus (much like USA Today) is often too broad to have actual informative utility, and serves more as an entertainment piece on a survey of subjects.

I used to be a fan of The Economist, until my education reached a point where I realized I didn't need stuff to be analyzed for me anymore.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc