UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #126
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Friendly reminder that the Gravity Falls Series Finale is on the 15th of February. It's been a good run, we had some laughs, some tears, some fighting (okay not really), but all in all it's been a good run. I for one am both happy and sad that it's ending. Happy because it's Hirsch ending the series, not the execs because it's not pulling it ratings, etc.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #127
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished watching Between the Pines, a half-hour special they put together between last episode and today's. It's Alex Hirsch revealing as-yet undiscovered Easter eggs or shedding some light on as-yet unfigured-out things for about half an hour. It's entertaining and well worth the watch while you're waiting for the finale. Even once the finale's out, I'd say you should circle around and watch this. There's probably at least one bit of trivia (and likely many, many more) you never knew about before.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 AM   #128
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sorry for never contributing anything meaningful to this discussion.

I just finished the last episode and part of me is dead now.

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #129
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished the final episode. Aaaaand ...

Spoiler: show
I hate to say it, but that episode was really disappointing. There was so much:
  1. the episode not doing things I had wanted to see it do
  2. the episode doing what it did do poorly
  3. the episode doing things only pre-teens could enjoy
  4. the writing staff having to choose between 2+ outcomes for a given moment, having a tough time choosing, finally making a decision, but not wanting to completely abandon the other thing(s) either so they still included those as psych-out fake outcomes that precede the revelation of the true outcome
and any of these is disappointing, but the episode did a lot of each of these.

It's not accurate to say I went in with high hopes. I was pretty bellow towards the franchise by this point, and the disappointment I have with the episode is a lot more muted than even I would think it ought to be. Like ... it's there, but I also kinda don't care.

I might write more later, maybe list off a couple of concrete examples for each of those bullet points, but for right now I'll leave it at this. Episode was okay but was not the finale I'd been hoping for.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #130
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 AM   #131
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Goodbye, Gravity Falls. If you come back to us in some form, I will greet you then, but some part of me hopes that this is how it ends.

I really enjoyed the finale. I would ask, how could it have been done better and still be cohesive, assuming that a third season is out of the question? The relevant loose ends were tied, but of course, there were some left unaddressed. And I think that's a good thing. Part of the meaning of the finale was that there will always be mystery. To effectively tell a good story, not every single aspect of the world you've built has to be addressed. Sometimes, a gag is added just to be a gag, and it may never even be acknowledged again. That's okay. Having just bingewatched the entirety of Weirdmageddon, I think that I like the way that it came together. First of all, did the second season as a whole feel rushed? ... Honestly? Not really to me. I think that, yes, the pace in terms of plot definitely picked up, but that was just a natural response to everything coming to a head in A Tale of Two Stans. If a person who had never even heard of the Stanley/Stanford theory had watched that episode, it would have been a revelation, and the show, I think, would have been absolutely perfectly paced in their eyes. Of course, we long-time members of the Gravity Falls fandom KNOW the backstory, such as Hirsch trying to throw us off the scent and us knowing that he knew that we had come up with a very solid theory about the elder Pines twins, so of course the second half of the second season would feel rushed to us. But looking at it from the perspective of a showmaker, it ended up working quite nicely. Maybe we miss a few more world-building episodes, but I think that if we had a third season, either the pace would be entirely too slow for my taste, or the show would have multiple filler episodes. Back to Weirdmageddon. I will concede this: It was predictable. As mature viewers with a brain, we can see the possible routes the show will take. Stan twins angst? called it. Bill wanting to enter our dimension? called it. Stan O' War II? Moringmark, that genius, called it last year. Stanley fire imagery? man, we saw that LAST SEASON, before we even knew his name was Stanley. It was predictable. But it offered redemption to characters that I honestly hated, like Gideon. We finally saw the cops get together. It tried to appeal the ever-unappeasable fandom, and though not always perfectly executed, the sentiment was appreciated. We saw great character development on the part of Dipper. The ultimate defeat of Bill? I actually liked that the Cipher Wheel worked out, because this method felt so much less Deus Ex Machina. And, though incredibly fluffy, the goodbye at the end made me sad, because I remember my first episode of Gravity Falls, and I remember how much this show means to me, and I will miss it dearly. And that's what finales should do. They should resolve the main conflict. Bill's gone, so that's the main conflict, resolved. They should help you remember the good parts of the show, and boy, did it ever. It should make you feel a little unfulfilled. That means that you'll miss the show. I think that the finale was a well-done episode for what it set out to accomplish, and I commend Alex Hirsch for a job well done with the show.

Gravity Falls started when I was in Middle School. As the Pines came to grips with going to High School, I started it, and am halfway through. I will miss waiting with the rest of you for the next episode for weeks, maybe months. I will miss the laughs that it brought me. But to give it a proper sendoff, I think there's nothing better for the occasion than a few words from the master himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cipher
"Remember! Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!"

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #132
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

welp. That certainly was a trip. Glad i binged this.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #133
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Sorry for the double post but is anyone else following the Cipher Hunt?

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #134
Snorby
Snackin'

Started binge watching this a couple days ago. Currently about halfway through Season 2 and I'm loving this

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #135
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Watched this up to S2E3 a long time ago, but got back into it and I'm at S2E7. I wonder why I ever stopped!

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #136
Chalis
Activating Rampage

So I finished this yesterday, and... That was amazing.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment