UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Steam & things

Is it impossible to play a PC game these days that doesn't use Steam, or some comparable always-online DRM manager?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 10-24-2019 at 01:12 AM. Reason: bad grammar = opposite meaning
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Honestly. Depends on the game. There are a bunch of games which still function in Steam's offline mode.

Recently these last two years, Prison Architect was sold from their original developer to a new publisher and that publisher put in DRM. Formerly you could play it without Steam. Now the DRM forces you to play online. Because of this, everyone has turned on the game.

GOG Galaxy has no DRM if the games you want to play are available there. And I on many occasions launch their games without the GOG launcher and don't have issues playing their games.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I still consider offline Steam a form of DRM. Same goes for any kind of launcher. Only pirated Japanese VNs I've found use old fashioned distro. Everything new needs always-online AND open NAT.

5G IoT will have all networks move to closed NAT, meaning multiplayer ceases to exist without cloud host or VPN. Google is now charging for GMAIL, so cloud costs are going up from here as the internet struggles with IoT and robots.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Loki

As I said, GOG. You don't need their launcher to buy, install, or launch games. You can download installer files from their website if you want. Just don't expect all games to be there.

Steam and Epic pretty much have the majority of modern games. You can find indie games on Itchi.io and older games/indie/CD Project Red games on GOG without DRM or any always online unless the game itself is always online.

Unfortunately that's where the publishers have gone over the past 16 years. Customers prefer the ease of Steam and other launchers over individually installing and constantly downloading updates and such and publishers fear pirating so they push for DRM, even though it's been proven to not work.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:44 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Does stuff get GOG releases that's on Steam? Like could we see Baldur's Gate III get a GOG release or will that be a never?

I want to play the game Sauria, but I was pissed that it's Steam-only. If I were a Kickstarter I'd be complaining to get my money back.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Loki

Maybe. Beamdog did BGEE and BG2EE realease on GOG and originally didn't plan to release on Steam, Atari did that. But Larian Studios are doing BG3 and they have released new games on GOG, i.e. Divnity Original Sin series.

Usually GOG gets non-AAA titles due to publishers feeling their big investment titles will need DRM and GOG doesn't allow it. Double A titles still pop up on GOG and some indie titles too. It's on a case by case situation.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
DamienLee

And I'm used to steam and it seems to me it's natural how to breathe
Old 09-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
GT1990
Pokemon Trainer

Out of all launchers that are out there - Steam is the one I have most games. I hate having multiple launchers because 2 or 3 games are not on Steam. Epic has the worst exclusivity deals I've ever heard of...

I like Steam the most because they are trying to rid of being forced to use Windows. Thanks to them plenty of games are already available to play on Linux. Give them a bit more time to deal with anticheat - Linux can play almost all games! That's why I support them.
GT1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games