UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #5351
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Genshiken Nidaime: It's time I make this thread. While I have no doubt that Rozen Maiden will ultimately be my pick for Show of the Season, it's taken a while to ramp up to the really exciting bits. By contrast, Genshiken Nidaime has been very good at worst, stellar at best four weeks in a row now. This week's episode was no exception, chock filled with good and great moments. It's funny. It's emotional. It's hugely relatable. I wasn't the happiest camper in the world with the original Genshiken's second half, but Nidaime has been a highly pleasant bounce back up in entertainment quality. While it's still perhaps not quite as epically high as the original series for me yet, it's been really, really satisfying.

Episode 04 spoiler discussion:

Spoiler: show
Comiket is something I've dreamed of attending some day ever since I first read the original Genshiken Volume 1 back in like 2005 or 2006. So I always want to enjoy Comiket episodes ... and yet sadly Kio Shimoku seems to always find a way to introduce some kind of downer in them. One year it's the fatass asshole who no one likes who is saying mean things about the Genshiken. Another year it's Madarame breaking his hand. This year sees Ogiue out sick, after all that hard work, only to show up with a 39°C fever to overhear one of her former classmates from middle school being a mega-bitch towards her. Man, I really hate assholes and bitches, and this bitch just really left a sour taste in my mouth.

So what flushes that sour taste away for me? Why, the entire rest of the episode, of course. The opening scene with Hato was great, going from one pleasant little joke or visual treat to the next. Hato cosplaying as a Comiket mascot character (who I don't recognize ) who bore a striking resemblance to one of the characters from the original series' Kujibiki Unbalance was great. I really don't tend to like Sue much (especially in the original manga) but Nidaime's been making me like her a bit more and this episode really did her some nice favors.

As for the sneak peek for next week's episode ...

I'm not a big fan of the idea of Madarame x Angela, and just generally speaking I can't really get excited about Angela because THAT TERRIBAD ENGRISH , but I'll definitely take Madarame x Angela over Madarame x Hato despite cheering moreso for the latter (I know that sounds contradictory; I'll try to explain) simply because while I really like Hato, and while I don't much fancy Angela nor do I much fancy Madarame winding up with her, as in the Genshiken universe a woman like Angela is quite the catch -- beautiful, foreign, and a nice rack body! -- and would be like a trophy wife awesome catch for Madarame ................ whereas if he pairs off with Hato, that requires Madarame to basically give up on Saki and go gay. And he's not gay. Any hint as to Madarame's sexual orientation has always indicated heterosexuality. So yeah. I don't want Madarame to "go gay" (especially since that just feels wrong or insulting on a variety of levels) for Hato, even if I'm not at all cheering for Madarame x Angela but am quietly cheering on Hato. Does that even make sense? Anyway ..............

Kind of disappointed by how little Ohno there's been in this season so far. It feels like she's been relegated to the role of quirky aunt and/or awkward 6th-year college student who's still hanging around a club she should have long since graduated from. Ohno's probably my second or third favorite character in the original series (right behind Madarame and maybe Saki), but she's definitely being eclipsed in Nidaime by Hato and the others. Maybe that's the way Kio Shimoku wants it to be. *shrug*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #5352
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Genshiken Nidaime: It's time I make this thread. While I have no doubt that Rozen Maiden will ultimately be my pick for Show of the Season, it's taken a while to ramp up to the really exciting bits. By contrast, Genshiken Nidaime has been very good at worst, stellar at best four weeks in a row now. This week's episode was no exception, chock filled with good and great moments. It's funny. It's emotional. It's hugely relatable. I wasn't the happiest camper in the world with the original Genshiken's second half, but Nidaime has been a highly pleasant bounce back up in entertainment quality. While it's still perhaps not quite as epically high as the original series for me yet, it's been really, really satisfying.

Episode 04 spoiler discussion:

Comiket is something I've dreamed of attending some day ever since I first read the original Genshiken Volume 1 back in like 2005 or 2006. So I always want to enjoy Comiket episodes ... and yet sadly Kio Shimoku seems to always find a way to introduce some kind of downer in them. One year it's the fatass asshole who no one likes who is saying mean things about the Genshiken. Another year it's Madarame breaking his hand. This year sees Ogiue out sick, after all that hard work, only to show up with a 39°C fever to overhear one of her former classmates from middle school being a mega-bitch towards her. Man, I really hate assholes and bitches, and this bitch just really left a sour taste in my mouth.

So what flushes that sour taste away for me? Why, the entire rest of the episode, of course. The opening scene with Hato was great, going from one pleasant little joke or visual treat to the next. Hato cosplaying as a Comiket mascot character (who I don't recognize ) who bore a striking resemblance to one of the characters from the original series' Kujibiki Unbalance was great. I really don't tend to like Sue much (especially in the original manga) but Nidaime's been making me like her a bit more and this episode really did her some nice favors.

As for the sneak peek for next week's episode ...

I'm not a big fan of the idea of Madarame x Angela, and just generally speaking I can't really get excited about Angela because THAT TERRIBAD ENGRISH , but I'll definitely take Madarame x Angela over Madarame x Hato despite cheering moreso for the latter (I know that sounds contradictory; I'll try to explain) simply because while I really like Hato, and while I don't much fancy Angela nor do I much fancy Madarame winding up with her, as in the Genshiken universe a woman like Angela is quite the catch -- beautiful, foreign, and a nice rack body! -- and would be like a trophy wife awesome catch for Madarame ................ whereas if he pairs off with Hato, that requires Madarame to basically give up on Saki and go gay. And he's not gay. Any hint as to Madarame's sexual orientation has always indicated heterosexuality. So yeah. I don't want Madarame to "go gay" (especially since that just feels wrong or insulting on a variety of levels) for Hato, even if I'm not at all cheering for Madarame x Angela but am quietly cheering on Hato. Does that even make sense? Anyway ..............

Kind of disappointed by how little Ohno there's been in this season so far. It feels like she's been relegated to the role of quirky aunt and/or awkward 6th-year college student who's still hanging around a club she should have long since graduated from. Ohno's probably my second or third favorite character in the original series (right behind Madarame and maybe Saki), but she's definitely being eclipsed in Nidaime by Hato and the others. Maybe that's the way Kio Shimoku wants it to be. *shrug*
Yeeeeeeees. Make the threeeeeaaaaaaaad.

Let us discuss about the awesomeness that is Hato (and Madarame when he shows up)!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #5353
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I'm just sort of curious ... has anyone here ever seen Ashita no Nadja before? I saw the opening credits for it the other night and decided to look it up. The name sounded familiar to me and sure enough it's a production from around 2004, but the animation is this bizarre mix of modern-feeling computer effects with early 1990s-feeling character designs and general aesthetic. The plot premise of the series is:
Nadja is an orphan who lives at the Applefield Orphanage, in early 20th century England. Nadja is called by Miss Appleton, the orphanage's owner, to receive a package delivered to her. The gifts sent for her thirteenth birthday are a dress and a diary. She is told in the accompanying letter that her mother is still alive. She later joins a traveling street performance act called the Dandelion Troupe in search of her mother after a fire breaks out in her orphanage. She travels the world, finding many friends along the way that teach her things about herself, ultimately having to learn the truth about her parentage and discovering her own destiny.
I don't plan to check this out any time soon myself, but I was curious to know if anyone else here had already seen it and would recommend it. (And if so then how highly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Yeeeeeeees. Make the threeeeeaaaaaaaad.

Let us discuss about the awesomeness that is Hato (and Madarame when he shows up)!
I'll have to make sure not to upload the pictures to PhotoBucket.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this last post, but ... Ogiue's cosplay as {spoiler} was so awesome!

Nakano Azusa a.k.a. Azunyan from K-ON!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #5354
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've looked it up before, but either it had no subs or it was after I moved and couldn't torrent. I distinctly remember looking it up and being disappointed, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #5355
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
So, I'm just sort of curious ... has anyone here ever seen Ashita no Nadja before? I saw the opening credits for it the other night and decided to look it up. The name sounded familiar to me and sure enough it's a production from around 2004, but the animation is this bizarre mix of modern-feeling computer effects with early 1990s-feeling character designs and general aesthetic. The plot premise of the series is:
Nadja is an orphan who lives at the Applefield Orphanage, in early 20th century England. Nadja is called by Miss Appleton, the orphanage's owner, to receive a package delivered to her. The gifts sent for her thirteenth birthday are a dress and a diary. She is told in the accompanying letter that her mother is still alive. She later joins a traveling street performance act called the Dandelion Troupe in search of her mother after a fire breaks out in her orphanage. She travels the world, finding many friends along the way that teach her things about herself, ultimately having to learn the truth about her parentage and discovering her own destiny.
I don't plan to check this out any time soon myself, but I was curious to know if anyone else here had already seen it and would recommend it. (And if so then how highly.)
I watched up to episode 13 of it. This show took Toei's magical girl time slot in Super Hero Time after Doremi ended, so I figured I'd see what it was. Honestly, Nadja is a pretty boring show. Supposedly it gets better later on, but it bored the hell out of me. I might try picking it back up, but I have too many things on my belt right now.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #5356
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Grisaia no Kajitsu
I read the opening parts of this title. The first of the game heavily hints at the main guy being part of some illegal organization, but maybe they'll make it something else. Well the main guy is a sharp-witted badass of sorts, and that's always a huge plus. Hopefully he won't go dumb like the one in Period. One neat thing I noticed is that some of the characters look like they're from Bakemonogatari, and after looking it up, I realized the artist for it does indeed do some characters in this. That's one plus, since I do like the character designs for Bakemonogatari. For everything else, I have a hard time buying why they make a full high-budget full-sized school that only has 6 students in it, but maybe they'll surprise me with a good explanation? I like the character interactions well enough. So in all, I enjoy this fairly well. Hopefully things will stay on a good note for me.

EDIT: I read a few hours into Grisaia. So far I like this. Like I expected, this is mostly about the way people think, which is always a plus to me. It seems the characters have good well-thought-out stories behind their issues. Like one is how the "idiot" character is reserved towards anyone new because she thinks they'll hate her for her stupidity. It's not anything grand, but I like it. I've been kind of glued to this VN ever since I started.

I've always been a sucker for stories about how people's minds work. Oh, also that girl I mentioned is voiced by Natsume Rin!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 07-30-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #5357
deoxys
Fog Badge

Watamote 04:

What the fuck.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #5358
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, another tough episode to watch.

The dad's taken course of action at the end was awesome though.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #5359
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Why doesn't WataMote have a thread already?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #5360
deoxys
Fog Badge

I don't think it's worth having its own thread. Madoka never even got its own thread.

I'd be fine if it was made one, but I'm not going to make it. It's an okay show to leave a few comments on once a week, but there's nothing worth in depth discussion (as you'll see with my three word opinion on this week's episode) + the whole show is kind of a trigger of bad teenage memories and experiences.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #5361
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I don't think it's worth having its own thread. Madoka never even got its own thread.
Madoka would have likely gotten its own thread if it had come out today.

Something you have to understand about the history of the Anime forum is that we've gone through several phases.
  • Before 2005 or 2006, we didn't have a bbb's suggestion box, and most anime and manga received their own threads, no matter how inconsequential. Then in 2005 or 2006 or whenever, bbb created the original thread where he planned to share his own suggestions but welcomed us to do the same. Over time, that thread just sort of naturally evolved into a place where we'd all report in with what we were watching, minus the shows that had their own threads (since obviously we'd post there for those instead).
  • Then, circa 2007, we began to enter into a second phase. This one was a phase of no more new threads. It didn't happen overnight, obviously -- you'll find a few threads from back around 2007 that are specifically about shows (e.g. Fullmetal Alchemist) -- but bit by bit, the forum regulars started making fewer and fewer threads. I can't speak for bbb or for Doppel or for Mcsweeney, and I myself was absent from UPN from 2008 to 2010, but I can say that, at least in my own mind, there were several contributing factors. One, laziness. Two, a feeling that a topic had to "deserve" or "warrant" a thread of its own. Two was a pretty big one; going back as far as I can remember, we've never liked spam here. I mean, that's true for UPN in general too, but it's especially true in Anime where it can be seen as rude and very annoying to make a bunch of bullshit threads that then crowd out a major discussion topic from the front page. So anyway, I dunno, it's pretty apparent (if you sneak a peek) that from circa 2008 to 2011, we had begun to make very, very few threads here.
  • I came back in May 2010, and while I made a number of threads even right from the start, I honestly didn't make too too many. It wasn't until some time last year (2012) that one day I realized, "You know what? I am sick and tired of our wonderful discussions being forever lost in the huge net of vines that is the chat thread. How did this happen? Why did we quit making threads?" I also realized that a lot of people -- mistakenly! -- believed that Anime was a dead forum and that we just spammed bbb's suggestions box with chat posts the same way the ASBers and the FBers do to their Time Out threads. Few people appreciated that we were actually 90-95% of the time posting about anime in this thread, whether it was anime news or thoughts on the latest seen episodes or whatever, and that only 5-10% of the time were we having non-anime discussion here. What I realized was that people mistook the lack of new threads for a lack of new shows worth watching. The greater forum community had just assumed that anime had died and gone to Heaven. So, I made a personal choice to try and revive the old ways and to start making stand-alone threads for each and every show.
You began regularly posting here right in the thick of my revival project, so it's no surprise to me that you might think that this is the way it's always been and therefore "the fact that we don't have a Madoka thread means that Talon and the others didn't think Madoka deserved one." Far from it. We just haven't made a Madoka thread because we've all already seen it and discussed it. It would feel like spam, honestly, to make a thread for it just because "it deserves one." Like ... I can think of a lot of anime that don't have threads here right now that probably deserve one. ^_^; Cowboy Bebop? Great Teacher Onizuka? Love Hina? Genshiken? Hell, even Chobits doesn't have its own categorical thread -- the thread that has become our new age Chobits thread is a thread of mine called "Chobits Four Years Later" or some such, a thread where I wrote about Chobits after having not seen it in about four years. There's a whole bunch of anime that theoretically deserve one, but you take the laziness factor and the general distaste for spam that pushes things off of the front page and yeah, this is what you get.

If someone wants to make a Madoka thread, then they are certainly welcome to. I'd probably post a post in there that had hyperlinks to all of my past posts in the suggestion box (as I have done before on other occasions) and then leave it at that. "If you want to see what Talon had to say about this anime, click these. If not, well, then you probably weren't going to read my posts anyway even if they were in this thread all along. "

It's also worth pointing out that not every anime that gets its own thread arguably "deserves" it. I made a thread for OniAi but ended up dropping that show after only three or four episodes. I made a thread for Senran Kagura but that was largely motivated by just what a famous property Senran Kagura is in certain circles. Those threads might be seen as spam by some of the other forum regulars, but they're not seen as spam by me tbh and Nature took its course anyway eventually with any of them that no one was watching (e.g. OniAi), the thread bubbling down onto Page 2 and even Page 3 in very little time.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #5362
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I still prefer only making a thread for something I think deserves a thread. Making a decent thread is so damn time consuming, and more often than not, it is wasted time on something only I like. Even so, making a thread for something is a good way of giving a show you really like some attention. Maybe I'll watch "I'm a Frog" if a thread is made about it!

Ungodly Long Title
I wasn't crazy about this week's episode. It had some amusing moments, but it was about some of my least favorite chapters. I did like how creepy Kuroki was towards her friend.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #5363
deoxys
Fog Badge

So what you're saying is if I make a Stella thread people might actually try it?

shut up deo no one cares about your dumb moe shit
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #5364
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What I'm saying is that if you want to make a Stella thread you are more than welcome to and no one is going to feel like it's spam.

What might feel like spam would be if it were any of the following:
  1. you make a thread for 10+ shows you're watching this season but are only really passionate about 3 or 4 (If you're passionate about all ten, that's different!)
  2. you make a thread for shows you've watched in the past and aren't really trying to get anyone to watch (e.g. no effort put into making the thread, you just title it and say "Talk about ___ here" inside the first post)
  3. you make a thread that we already have a perfectly good thread for (NO NO! )
When I created the second Touhou thread, for example, that didn't really violate C above because a) the original thread wasn't great (it had some bad replies in there that sort of poisoned it; the OP posts also weren't very helpful) and b) I asked bbb first (since I knew he was our #1 Touhou fan here). But bbb gave me his blessing and so I made the new thread. You could do the same thing with a number of other older threads, I'm sure. But it'd be pretty ass, for example, to try and make a new Aku no Hana thread or a new Usagi Drop thread. Just bump the originals, please. They're perfectly fine threads as is.

If someone wants to make what they believe is a superior OP post for a thread, I'd suggest contacting the original thread's OP poster (if they're still around) and asking them if it's okay to go with your post over theirs. But making a replacement thread without even asking is kinda arrogant imo. You should always ask for his/her blessing, I think, if the original poster is still around. You wouldn't like it if someone did it to you (posted without asking, I mean), so you shouldn't do it to someone else.

Anyway, these are just my own impressions of the matter. I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself, and not even all of the things listed above describe my own feelings on the matter, just my impressions of the sort of stuff that might be considered spam or inappropriate topic hijacking.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #5365
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
It wasn't until some time last year (2012) that one day I realized, "You know what? I am sick and tired of our wonderful discussions being forever lost in the huge net of vines that is the chat thread. How did this happen? Why did we quit making threads?" I also realized that a lot of people -- mistakenly! -- believed that Anime was a dead forum and that we just spammed bbb's suggestions box with chat posts the same way the ASBers and the FBers do to their Time Out threads. Few people appreciated that we were actually 90-95% of the time posting about anime in this thread, whether it was anime news or thoughts on the latest seen episodes or whatever, and that only 5-10% of the time were we having non-anime discussion here. What I realized was that people mistook the lack of new threads for a lack of new shows worth watching. The greater forum community had just assumed that anime had died and gone to Heaven. So, I made a personal choice to try and revive the old ways and to start making stand-alone threads for each and every show.
Wow, so this is what really happened? I feel like I've just read one of the secrets of the universe!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #5366
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Wow, so this is what really happened? I feel like I've just read one of the secrets of the universe!
Haha, I don't think I ever kept it much of a secret. ^_^; Back when I started I think I might have said something about it and bbb kinda lightly replied the same way he did just now -- something to the effect of "Cool, you go ahead, but I'm going to keep using my suggestion box because it's easier for me that way. If threads are gonna get made they should be done right and I just don't want to put that much effort into them most of the time " -- and I don't recall what your response was but I was like "Okay ... well I'm going to do it! :O ... at least for some of the topics I'm interested in. Please post there instead of here, okay? " and I started. bbb sometimes posts in those threads and sometimes posts here still -- I mean, this is his suggestion box, it's a free country, he can post wherever he likes, haha -- but I am admittedly glad that most people tend to post in a thread if they see one since it means that most or all of our posts are aggregated there.

Basically, this is yet another legacy concern, one in the long list of legacy concerns for UPN. The reason I like stand-alone threads is that:
  1. they're a lot easier for newcomers to join in on
    1. too many forum newbies don't understand the Search feature
    2. too many forum veterans refuse to use the Search feature, out of laziness or stubbornness or what I do not know
  2. they're a lot easier for us old timers to go back through and find our old posts & discussions
  3. their posts are not victims of temporal separation like the posts in the suggestion box are
    • what I mean by this is that if I make a post about Rozen Maiden in 2010, then another about Season 2 in 2011, then a third about the OAV in 2012, and finally a fourth about the newest season in 2013, they all show up back to back (or very close to one another, in any event) if they're in their own Rozen Maiden thread; but they're separated by literally hundreds of unrelated posts in the suggestion box thread(s)
  4. they're pretty. Or at least they have the potential to be!
    • Sort of like how I love looking at my own bookshelf and seeing "my collection", it's nice to rummage through our Anime forum and see "our collection" of threads. It's like a photo album that way.
    • they can have nice little encyclopedic posts (with like a plot premise or a character bio page) to make it easy for newcomers to check out and see if they're interested, equipped with pretty pictures and such
I dunno. I tend to like the stand-alone threads myself. That stated, we all use the suggestion box -- me too! -- and I'm in no way trying to suggest that we need to scrap it or that (at the very least) bbb cannot continue to post here as he always has, sharing with us his views on stuff and welcoming us to do the same. Like bbb, I also believe that if you're gonna make a thread then you ought to at least put some effort into it. And like bbb, I'm very often too lazy to do that. But I still want to talk about stuff! So this thread is an awesome guilt-free way of doing that. This thread is like Anime Forum Casual, which I like. Posting here is like eating out at a restaurant that allows t-shirt and jeans. Posting a separate thread sometimes feels like a suit and tie affair.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #5367
deoxys
Fog Badge

I didn't know about any of this.

I think this bit is a bit funny though:

Quote:
they're a lot easier for newcomers to join in on
too many forum newbies don't understand the Search feature
too many forum veterans refuse to use the Search feature, out of laziness or stubbornness or what I do not know
Because it actually wasn't until earlier this year that I figured out how to search through a thread and not just the forums. It should have been blatantly obvious the whole time, too, but somehow it slipped under my radar and I just figured there was no such feature.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #5368
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I still haven't seen the London movie but ... OH ... MY ... GOD ...

Quote:
K-ON! COLLEGE
(by kakifly, Yen Press, $11.99)

FROM THE BACK COVER:
"Yui, Mio, Ritsu, and Tsumugi embark on their college adventures! It will take some time for the girls to get used to life away from their families and adjust to the pace of college life, but there's one aspect of their new situation that there's no uncertainty about—joining the pop music club! But they aren't the only high school band making their debut on the college scene. Is Afterschool Tea Time ready to perform alongside the hard-rocking rhythms of Only Girlz?!"
Source

Discuss. Will admit that I would at least check it out. Despite having been so, so lazy with checking out the London movie.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #5369
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
So, I still haven't seen the London movie but ... OH ... MY ... GOD ...

Source

Discuss. Will admit that I would at least check it out. Despite having been so, so lazy with checking out the London movie.
Hey, remember the "Is Dangan Ronpa a money-grabber anime" discussion?

Well, K-ON! is a money-grabber franchise.

I watched the London-movie, actually, and it had a few cute moments but that's about it. This is sequel isn't exactly surprising and...I'm not interested in the least in the contents.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5370
Talon87
時の彼方へ

PhotoBucket Adventures: Just a brief update on my PhotoBucket situation:

Today's August 1, my account's bandwidth will recycle on August 8, ... and I'm currently sitting at 131% consumption. Since the account was locked about a week ago, an additional 3.1 gigabytes of bandwidth have been consumed.

If you assume that PhotoBucket's being honest, then I definitely think that Doppel's on the money about Google Images and/or Tumblr and/or Facebook. But the problem is that unless I can get those links taken down (spoiler: I can't), I think my account is still going to be hammered for bandwidth even if I delete all of the associated pictures. So ... my old PhotoBucket account may be as good as gone.

If you assume PhotoBucket's being dishonest, I think this is just a scam to try and coerce people into upgrading to premium accounts. The reason I suspect this is that some Google searches I conducted last week revealed a startling number of people who specifically began to report that their accounts were locked, for the very first time in their lives, circa the third to fourth week of June. Hey! ME TOO! Not May 2013. Not July 2013. Not April, not March, not December. June 2013. Lots and lots of people specifically reporting that they encountered this problem for the very first time this past June. So yeah, I think that this may be a scam on PhotoBucket's part, in which case ... as above, my answer remains that I guess this is the end of my old PhotoBucket account.

Either way, it's looking like I'll have to abandon the old account and find someone new to host images with. We'll see.

K-ON! College: Yeah, I definitely agree that K-ON! has been a shameless moneygrab from the moment its anime's first episode aired. Maybe before that point it was just another innocent manga, but the moment that first episode aired and forever after, it's pretty much been a franchise which is milking the otaku to whom it panders for all they're worth. Pretty damn obvious in that Season 2 was twice the length of Season 1, then there was a movie, now there's a sequel in college ... yet the girls still haven't really done shit as a band.

That stated, when the first and second seasons came out, it was during a time that (for me, anyway) was a major dry spell in anime; and so I'd pop K-ON! on just because. It was pretty much a timewaster, but an at least pleasant timewaster. Part of the reason I haven't bothered checking out the movie is that I just don't have the interest. Like, the Haruhi movie? I friggin' leapt at the chance to watch that one. The K-ON! movie? Can't really be bothered to seek it out. It doesn't mean that I don't ever want to watch it, just that ... I'm not really a fan of the franchise and would only be watching it so I could say that I too have seen it.

The reviews I've read of K-ON! College seem to suggest that it's not very good. As in, it continues all of the problems that plagued the original and only offers very marginal improvements in other areas. That's not a good sign. But would I at least want to check out the first episode or two of an eventual anime adaptation? Well sure, why not.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #5371
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I think the K-On manga went in two different directions after they graduated. They had two different releases. One about Azusa's third-year high school group, and one about the college group. I never read into them, but apparently the high school continuation was the more popular one. I'm going by a vague memory though, so I might be wrong.

Grisaia no Kajitsu
After three days of constant reading, I think I've finally branched off into a path. I've mostly been through a bunch of funny little comedy scenes and minor character development. Kinda like a 4Koma. In that sense, it's like Little Busters, spending alot of time on comedy scenes, getting you to like the cast. It even has the VAs from 3 of the main LB heroines. The comedy is good though, so I'm liking what I've read so far. Also this girl's foul mouth never ceases to amuse me. I'm genuinely curious about what's bothering the characters and I'm making guesses about what caused them to need to go to a special school. Hopefully the this title will stay good when it becomes serious.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #5372
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I think the K-On manga went in two different directions after they graduated. They had two different releases. One about Azusa's third-year high school group, and one about the college group. I never read into them, but apparently the high school continuation was the more popular one. I'm going by a vague memory though, so I might be wrong.
I think I'd be more interested in the Azusa group myself. It's hard to pick a favorite, but my top four favorite K-ON! characters (in no particular order) are Azusa, Yui, Sawa-chan-sensei, and Ui. So while an Azusa manga would have three of my top four (Azusa, Ui, and probably Sawa-chan-sensei), a college manga would only have one of my top four (Yui). Not to mention it'd also have my least favorite distraction in the franchise (Mio) and my least favorite character period in the franchise (Tsumugi).

That stated, even an Azusa Group manga would seem kind of dull without the other HTT girls there. Never really was a fan of Jun, and Ui never really seemed that interested in joining a music group, so really all you've got is Azusa. I mean, that was one thing the author sort of dodged in the way the series originally ended -- the whole "so what's Azusa going to do now? " question. Sure, she broached it, but she never really had to contend with actually satisfactorily answering it. And I'm not even sure that she could. Let's face it: when you're the sole underclassman in a club filled with nothing but graduating seniors, you're going to be bummed out next year.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #5373
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

TALON GET YOUR BUTT TO MAKING THE GENSHIKEN THREAD, BECAUSE THE NEWEST EPISODE OF NIDAIME IS SO MUCH AWESOME MARVELOUS FABULOUS AMAZING I'M GOING NUTS AND SQUEALING LIKE A TOTAL FANGIRL BECAUSE HATOOOOOOOO AND
KOUSAKA
!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #5374
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Genshiken Nidaime: That episode was incredible.

I have had all of the pictures for a thread ready since mid-week except for Yajima and most of the various important supporting characters (e.g. Saki). Was hoping this episode would give me some more to work with. Will try to make thread tomorrow, along with Episode 05 detailed thoughts.

P.S.
That Kousaka! Stealin' EVERYONE away from Madarame!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #5375
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
KOUSAKA
!!!!!!
Which one are you talking about?
あきらめない 心かさね