UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #3801
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
It's my understanding from news coverage that the President has the power to declassify shit at will, so pretty much any reveal of information by him is legal.

Whichever allied country gave the US the info in the first place is liable to be pissed like, though.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #3802
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by The US Constitution
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
If this were during the Cold War, then maybe if the information was sensitive/critical enough. But now? I don't think Russia really qualifies as enough of an Enemy for treason charges to actually apply. Especially given all the statements Trump's made about wanting to work with Russia. But as Concept says, Trump has the power to declassify and disclose information at will.

So, in the end same verdict as Hillary's email server. Irresponsible? Yes. Careless? Yes. Criminal? Nope.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #3803
Blastoise
THE PRESIDENCY BECOMES ME

Location: Rigged algorithm gave Play of the Game to Torbjorn in spawn room. Sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
It's my understanding from news coverage that the President has the power to declassify shit at will, so pretty much any reveal of information by him is legal.

Whichever allied country gave the US the info in the first place is liable to be pissed like, though.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/bombshel...changing-story

TL;DR: you're correct that it's not illegal since the classification system as is exists by executive order, but it is likely gross negligence bordering on violating the oath of office (if there was any actual chance Trump would be impeached over it).

Also saw this earlier today re: the reason for at least some leaks:

http://theresurgent.com/i-know-one-of-the-sources/

Quote:
What sets this story apart for me, at least, is that I know one of the sources. And the source is solidly supportive of President Trump, or at least has been and was during Campaign 2016. But the President will not take any internal criticism, no matter how politely it is given. He does not want advice, cannot be corrected, and is too insecure to see any constructive feedback as anything other than an attack.

So some of the sources are left with no other option but to go to the media, leak the story, and hope that the intense blowback gives the President a swift kick in the butt. Perhaps then he will recognize he screwed up. The President cares vastly more about what the press says than what his advisers say. That is a real problem and one his advisers are having to recognize and use, even if it causes messy stories to get outside the White House perimeter.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #3804
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
That's pretty clever. Trump might not be smart enough to catch on, but he will eventually purge the leakers and eventually Trump will be unable to surround himself with capable people who share his vision.

It sucks though that he doesn't trust his advisers. He did trust them back during The Apprentice. What changed?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #3805
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Honestly, I think it's just that he's old as fuck. He's older than Reagan was, and Reagan was NOT a spring chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #3806
Blastoise
THE PRESIDENCY BECOMES ME

Location: Rigged algorithm gave Play of the Game to Torbjorn in spawn room. Sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It sucks though that he doesn't trust his advisers. He did trust them back during The Apprentice. What changed?
I don't think Trump has ever given two shits about any sort of advice or criticism (that wasn't given in such a way to allow him to convince himself that he thought of it, at least): we're noticing it now because the stakes of the presidency are a lot higher than the stakes of a reality TV show, there's no editing for effect, and the personality flaws that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when Trump was a penny-ante grifter are of much greater concern when he leads the world's sole superpower.

Or, as the man who ghostwrote the Art of the Deal put it:

Quote:
Over the past week, in the face of criticism from nearly every quarter, Trump’s distrust has almost palpably mushroomed. No importuning by his advisers stands a chance of constraining him when he is this deeply triggered. The more he feels at the mercy of forces he cannot control — and he is surely feeling that now — the more resentful, desperate and impulsive he becomes.

Even 30 years later, I vividly remember the ominous feeling when Trump got angry about some perceived slight. Everyone around him knew that you were best off keeping your distance at those times, or, if that wasn’t possible, that you should resist disagreeing with him in any way.

In the hundreds of Trump’s phone calls I listened in on with his consent, and the dozens of meetings I attended with him, I can never remember anyone disagreeing with him about anything. The same climate of fear and paranoia appears to have taken root in his White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Honestly, I think it's just that he's old as fuck. He's older than Reagan was, and Reagan was NOT a spring chicken.
Exacerbated by the stress of the position and an already unhealthy lifestyle, no doubt. Also because Trump has such a narrow view of reality that it is literally inconceivable to him that people are not falling over themselves to kiss his ass now that he's president, which is probably one of the reasons why he won't fucking shut up about his electoral college win.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #3807
Jerichi
💝 可愛い大統領 💝

He's so obsessed with his win he's allegedly hanging a map of it in the White House.

hmu when ur kawaii

asbwf

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #3808
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
I don't think Trump has ever given two shits about any sort of advice or criticism (that wasn't given in such a way to allow him to convince himself that he thought of it, at least): we're noticing it now because the stakes of the presidency are a lot higher than the stakes of a reality TV show, there's no editing for effect, and the personality flaws that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when Trump was a penny-ante grifter are of much greater concern when he leads the world's sole superpower.

Or, as the man who ghostwrote the Art of the Deal put it:
That's very damning. It explains why he's been so easily manipulated, and the behaviour is simple and telegraphed enough that we can observe it ourselves and agree with those assertions.

My co-worker said this is a legit Hitler comparison, as Hitler himself had a temper and blew up over any slight levied at him, and was unable to trust most of his advisers. Though Hitler's source of vulnerability - the sense of loss in World War I, and then the bitterness and the Weimer instability - is considerably more mature than Trump's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:42 AM   #3809
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

That funny moment when the Onion gets it right.

This is basically all barrelling down really badly for Trump. For once he's been saddled with a scandal that can be dragged out forever and ever in a Hillary-esque manner, and worst of all he's contributing to it by dumb moves like firing Comey in the middle of the investigation and blabbing to Russia while this was still a story and just meddling with the investigation at all... like come on dude. Hillary's got terrible PR skills and she shot herself in the foot less.

And it'll probably keep getting worse until it's over, because basically the entire government seems to be leaking to WaPo or the NYT.

Also god fucking dammit Trump, you just fired a highly politicized FBI Director. Why would you replace him with Lieberman who's a prominent former politician. And also pissed off a whole lotta Democrats along the way because he stopped being a team player towards the end of his term. Because yay polarization.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate