UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #926
Mercutio
Banned

Ant-Man: it's ok! It isn't particularly interesting or well put together but there are jokes and feelings and references and it sets up things! However it is also not very good at things that are not white men so that's a problem.

There are two end credit scenes they are not worth waiting use Youtube.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #927
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

My opinion is a slightly more positive variant of Kush's. I was pleasantly surprised by Ant-Man. Paul Rudd was acceptably good, and the humour was spot-on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #928
Mercutio
Banned

Southpaw is sad. Not really my thing but worth a see.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #929
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Just saw Pixels. Wasn't bad. Definitely could have been a lot worse. I really enjoyed it.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #930
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I took the opportunity this morning to watch Rear Window, the 1954 Hitchcock classic starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly. Thoughts.

Spoiler: show
Pros: Alfred Hitchcock proves once again that he is the master of suspense. That is the one thing the film does, if nothing else, and does expertly well: it builds suspense. You'll marvel at it, as I did, just how well Hitchcock does it. Neither too fast nor too slow (despite comments below), neither too heavy handed nor too light, neither dwelled on for too long nor too little, it's really just perfect.

Cons: like many films of this era, Rear Window suffers a boring first thirty minutes -- I might even call them tedious -- and its remaining hour and a half are stretched much thinner than most modern movies. I think that if Rear Window were to be made today, the team would either turn out a 40-minute film that covers the same story arc or else a 2-hour film that introduces new distractions subplots to keep the viewer engaged.

The ending of the film might ruin it for me. I think it's that poor a choice by Hitchcock. He does such a wonderful job building up the suspense and establishing a narrative that you shouldn't go poking your nose into other people's business that, when the film ends as follows, it undermines everything we'd worked towards:
  • you have Stewart's character survive and suffer only two broken legs that look like they'll heal in due time
  • you have the salesman be the very baddie that Stewart's character thought him to be, rather than having him either be:
    1. innocent
    2. a different sort of baddie from what Stewart's character thought he was
  • you have Stewart's and Kelly's characters living happily ever after, getting over the hurdles in the way of their marriage, rather than having them separate in any number of plausible ways, including:
    • earlier in the film, having Kelly's character lose faith in Stewart's, writing him off as a lunatic
    • later in the film, having Kelly's character die when the salesman finds her in his home
By giving Stewart's character the girl and the verdict and his life, you essentially send the message that spying on others is a-okay and that you ought to do it yourself. This is at odds with Hitchcock's own message that, by the 1950s, Americans had evolved into a society of peeping toms who concerned themselves with the private goings on of everyone they met. I think the film, as it exists, would've made the most sense with the latest tweak of all -- let Stewart's character have been right, let Kelly's character live, but have Stewart's character die. Alternatively, you could've written a very different tale where Stewart's character is convinced of the murder, his detective friend has him committed to an insane asylum, and the audience is presented with ambiguous evidence which leaves open both possibilities -- that Stewart's character hallucinated or that he really did witness the salesman up to no good.

Neutral: When I was little, I saw a Looney Tunes parody of Rear Window in which Elmer Fudd is revealed to be growing pod people that initially resemble eggplants. So when I watched Rear Window, and they brought up the salesman's flower bed, and how he didn't want the dog sticking his nose in there, I figured that this was where we were headed: no, he didn't murder his wife, but yes, he is up to no good. In hindsight, I guess the pod people angle was too science fictional for a man like Hitchcock to ever write. Hitchcock was all about the human psyche. It'd be out of the ordinary for him to write a B-horror science fiction film. But that's exactly what I thought was gonna happen, because of Looney Tunes. ^^; Whoops.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #931
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I saw the first (2011) Captain America movie this evening. Loved it. I can see why some people might say that it's not the best of the Marvel movies, sure, but I feel like if you're already emotionally invested in Captain America then The First Avenger does a wonderful job of delivering a satisfying origin story on film. You can read more about my thoughts in the thread, but I thought I'd just post here for pseudo-OCD's sake since this is, after all, the thread where people report that they've seen movies. And well ... I don't get to see movies very often, so when I do I value the opportunity to post here like everyone else.

Not sure when I'll get to see Iron Man. None of my friends have it on DVD, and I still don't do Netflix. But after I see The Winter Soldier, I'd like to try and see Iron Man 1 and 2 at the very least (if not also 3), and then maybe Thor (maybe). Then re-watch The Avengers, which I have already seen, and then I guess when it comes out on video (or is it even already out? [/lol modern times]) finish off with Age of Ultron.

Oh. And I guess there's that Chris Pratt movie in there too. ;p
Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #932
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

Not sure when I'll get to see Iron Man. None of my friends have it on DVD, and I still don't do Netflix.
Why not? I know that you're a big anti piracy guy, so Netflix is a great way to legally watch a whole bunch of movies and TV series "for free."

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #933
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Why not? I know that you're a big anti piracy guy, so Netflix is a great way to legally watch a whole bunch of movies and TV series "for free."
I may get Netflix in the future but for now I'd rather put the money towards more important uses. Netflix is a luxury, not a necessity.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #934
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Saw Trainwreck last night. It was hilarious, you could definitely tell that Amy Schumer was responsible for writing it, especially with some of the jokes that were in nearly the exact same style that she uses on her show. There were a couple of times where I felt the joke ran on for a little too long, but thankfully that didn't happen to much. And it turns out that LeBron James isn't that bad of an actor, he was such a pleasant surprise to watch.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #935
Mercutio
Banned

You do realise that Netflix gives you a free month, yes?

Iron Man is probably better than Captain America in that it has the same amount of character development and complexity, comparable levels of humour, romance and world-building and superior levels of action, effects and relevance to its demographic's lives. Cap edges it out on the 'strong female characters' scale though.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #936
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Guardians of the Galaxy: Watched this yesterday evening. The best way I can describe Guardians is, it's a great movie for your inner ten year old but only your inner ten year old. It isn't really a great movie, yet I had a fun time watching it and fell in love with almost every one of the five Guardians. (Only Gamora failed to win me over, and I blame that on poor exploration of her character.) The villain Ronan is very poorly written, and the plot moves along at a breakneck pace that reminded me every now and then of the Unlimited Blade Works movie and other cinematic adaptations which attempt to cram days of content into only two hours.

Reading up on some of the characters yesterday evening, I have to say that I much prefer Marvel's cinema origins for Starlord over his origins in the comics. Much, much better in the movie.

Despite the movie's profuse profanity, it is ultimately a movie made for adolescents, I am convinced of this, and every boy in America but the most insulated would likely adore the film. I can see my adolescent self loving it, and all the other children in school loving it too, "Best movie ever!" talk abounding. But at 30, with the tastes I have now and all the other stories I've seen and read by this age, Guardians of the Galaxy -- while entertaining -- is not something I would list amongst even my Top 200 films of all time.

Clerks: Started this one last night, finished it this morning. It was okay. It looks and feels as raw as a student film, which isn't surprising considering its shoestring budget of less than $28,000 and the fact that it was Kevin Smith's very first film. The script is raw and could use some polish. The acting is even rawer, with well over half of the actors in the film being in dire need of acting lessons or else replacement by more qualified actors. It can't be helped: indie is indie.

But the film does do some things well too. It not only satirizes young adult social groups' tendency to wax philosophical, but it also delivers some heartfelt and genuinely wise philosophical gems too. The final philosophical exchange of the movie, for example, between Dante and Randal on the convenience store floor -- that was probably my favorite scene of the entire movie, not only a solid note to end the film on but a wonderful encapsulation of both all the in-universe drama Dante has suffered as well as the out-of-universe messages Smith wishes to convey to his audience. I also enjoyed the comedy, which was all over the grid in terms of its intensity and maturity. You had shallow but mature, shallow and immature, deep but immature, and deep and mature humor all over the movie. One of the most hilarious but twisted moments of the film comes around what is arguably the film's climax -- I don't want to say what it is, but anyone who's seen the movie doubtless knows to which moment I am referring.

Clerks is a great movie for counterculture youth as well as for 20-somethings who find themselves wasting away in dead-end jobs like Dante's. For anyone who falls outside the scope of these two demographics, I think it loses some impact. It's still enjoyable, though, and I think that given its cult classic status it's a must see for just about anyone. Zero regrets that I watched it, even if I can't count myself now amongst its legions of fans. I'd call myself a friend to Clerks but not a fan, if that makes sense.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #937
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
Reading up on some of the characters yesterday evening, I have to say that I much prefer Marvel's cinema origins for Starlord over his origins in the comics. Much, much better in the movie.
Depends which retcon I guess, but yeah. The first Starlord origin was pretty terrible and he was quite the asshole.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #938
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Depends which retcon I guess, but yeah. The first Starlord origin was pretty terrible and he was quite the asshole.
I read the original and skimmed at least one other, possibly two. I didn't like any of them (where he's some Green Lantern wanna-be, a space policeman with the job title of Star-Lord ) more than the movie's take (where he's a maverick bounty hunter by circumstance). I agree that the Mavericks or whatever they were called were perhaps a bit silly. And I definitely agree that {the scene Pratt and Close share} was dumb and a dumb way to introduce the audience to {relevant info}. But on the whole I really liked the film's opening scene. Felt like a classic "before the OP credits" opening scene to a science fiction horror program.

TO BE FAIR, I had no attachment to these characters prior to seeing the movie. I can easily imagine that someone who's been reading Star-Lord comics for the past thirty years was quite disappointed by the massive retcon Pratt's Starlord received. And that goes double for Gamora, Drax, and Rocket. (Not sure about Groot. The one character I didn't read up on after the movie. ^^; ) Guardians of the Galaxy strikes me as similar to Watchmen or (in the beginning) an EDH deck: "let's take a bunch of characters/cards no one cares about and throw 'em all together to make something better!" They didn't touch Iron Man or Wolverine. They didn't touch the Phoenix or Thor. They took five of the (arguably) least popular or least known characters in Marvel history and retconned them in the 2010s into a new team. Hell: even the team name they appropriated from earlier incarnations.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #939
Loki

My own comments on the film.

There's plot holes and details I didn't like, but the movie itself was entertaining and fun.

Also, your analogy of the Guardians being a mishmash of characters with nothing to do is pretty spot on.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #940
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I read everyone's older posts minutes after posting mine, so no need to worry there. I would've quote-replied but I had nothing to really quote-reply to. Replying to yours for example would've been just a lot of "Yes, I quite agree"s or "Ah, I see! :o"s. And I didn't want to argue with you on Star-Lord's origins either. (Though you were clearly keen to bring it up anyway! haha )

I plan to do the same with all the Marvel movies. Never fear.

This does illustrate though why I wish passionate filmgoers would make stand-alone threads more often. Less need to fear that your voice got lost in the belly of a 38-page, 6-year-old thread. Oh well~!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #941
Loki

Passionate? Filmgoer?

More like... nerd who likes superheroes... watching a film with the same name as superheroes/teams.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #942
Mercutio
Banned

Fantastic Four is crap. Honestly not even worth going to see it, where at least Batman and Robin is entertainingly awful. But it probably isn't as bad as Batman and Robin.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #943
Loki

There's a lot of background controversy behind Fantastic Four.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #944
deoxys
Fog Badge

I recently saw The Raid 2 and Cold in July, both great movies in their own rights. Cold in July was just a bit messy in terms of the story but it was enjoyable, and the soundtrack was fantastic. The Raid 2 was more of the first but with a lot more story. One of the best action flicks I've ever seen.

Side bit, apparently Fox is in talks with Marvel to make a television adaptation of X-men, but don't have the rights to do it, so they're trying to negotiate. I wonder what Marvel will get out of it - rights to Fantastic 4 back? Or perhaps, with the retirement of Hugh Jackman, the Wolverine character? Hmm...
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #945
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Saw this a week or two ago, shortly before you all got excited for me to watch it. Thread is delayed by your expectations and my insufferable schedule. Suffice to say I enjoyed it but 1) not as much as you all thought I would and 2) in a rather very different way from The First Avenger. The latter felt very much like a Marvel superhero film whereas The Winter Soldier feels, honest to God, like it's a Bourne Identity film made by Marvel for the Marvel universe appropriating Marvel characters to fill the roles of Jason Bourne, his allies, and his adversaries. It's a good movie, I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I expected and after all the hype it kinda sorta let me down. :\ ^^;

Akira: Watched this last week. For a film that wasn't for me, I sure did enjoy this one. Would rate it a 9/10. It's a definite must-see for anyone who can tolerate (let alone enjoys) Japanese animation. Even if you walk out of it hating the plot or the characters (neither of which I did), you'll appreciate the magnificent animation -- and marvel at the fact that all of it was hand drawn. It looks good enough to be lauded for its animation in 2015, and yet this film was published in 1988, twenty-seven years ago. Crazy.

Interstellar: Watched this one tonight. Considering stand-alone thread for it; we'll see. For now I'll just go ahead and say, the film's pluses include its emotion & human touch as well as Matthew McConaughey's acting in select scenes. (He overacts throughout much of the film, but in certain scenes he is just magical.) And as for its cons, the film's story suffers from several silly elements and a large heaping of plot holes, many of which are caused by poor understanding of the underlying science but a surprising number of which aren't and are just straight up bad writing. Surprising for a Chris Nolan film, but eh, what'cha gonna do?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #946
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Dark Knight Rises: Ending credits rolling as we speak. So ... thoughts.

I like how the film is both its own story and a sequel to Batman Begins. It lends weight to this notion of a Christopher Nolan "trilogy" rather than simply three unrelated films.

I dislike the notion that Bruce Wayne hung up the cape immediately after Harvey's death. Nolan tries to justify it in a number of ways (notably physical deterioration of Wayne's body and grief over Rachel), but it just doesn't fly. The Dark Knight ends specifically on the note that 1) Gotham needs Batman's assistance and 2) Gotham needs Batman to become their pariah in order for Harvey's efforts to not be wasted. 1 and 2 together, Batman has to be out there fighting crime. Not only that, but the deterioration of Wayne's body makes no sense. Nothing happened at the end of The Dark Knight to suggest that Bruce's body had taken a beating that took fifty years off its longevity. He was in his mid-20s at the start of Begins, early 30s by the end of it. Even if it's been eight years since The Dark Knight, he should only be around 40 years old. A 40-year old who has done nonstop fighting, sure, maybe his joints would be worn out. But how in the fuck does he have no cartilage, does he have need of a cane, when he was perfectly fine at the end of the second film and then supposedly hung up his cape and never fought again?

I like the Talia plot twist and character presence. I also dislike the Talia plot twist, as it feels like Nolan flat out lied to us to get us to believe that the escapee was Bane. Everyone tells us that Bane was the one born in the prison. And the prisoners still there, who seem to take a liking to Wayne, even report that it was Bane, not Talia, who escaped. I wish Nolan could've done the plot twist without having to resort to such heavy handed misleading of us.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character a lot. I also like that JGL's character is confirmed to be Robin. But I dislike that he's called (Something) Robin Blake rather than being called Dick Grayson. You already rewrote Bruce Wayne, the Joker, and Bane, Christopher. Why do you shy away from naming your Robin Dick Grayson? :\ Ugh. It bothers me as much as it would have had Catwoman's name been anything other than Selena Kyle.

Speaking of Catwoman, I thought she was decent to good. Still not sold on Anne Hathaway. I don't think she was as perfect for the part as people said she was. But she worked. And actress aside, Nolan's Catwoman was interesting. Had pretty much nothing to do with cats -- clearly Nolan's Catwoman can only be called that because she is a cat burglar -- and had an interesting, Nolanverse agenda of wanting to be able to delete her Facebook, Twitter, and criminal record and get a fresh start.

Really disappointed that Nolan ended the story the way he did. It pretty much prevents there from ever again being a Nolanverse Batman movie. His estate dissolved, his mansion turned into an orphanage, the heavy implication that he and Selena have new identities and are living life anew abroad ... it would be stupid to bring Chris Nolan Batman back from the dead at this point. And that sucks.

I enjoyed intelligent Bane. I had mixed feelings on the League of Shadows history. I disliked that he didn't seem to be superhumanly strong, a few kicks or punches at stone structures aside.

I was disappointed by the back breaking scene. It's such a famous event in comic history that even I, who have read almost no Batman comics, have heard of it. I tried my best to avoid spoilers for this film but Bane breaking Bruce's back was one that I practically could not avoid. So I was excited to see how the scene'd play out, where it'd feature in the movie, whether Bruce would recover from it or not, etc, since I had otherwise successfully avoided spoilers pertaining to this event. ... Aaaaaaaaaand it was a disappointment. One, it happens like it hardly even matters, like it's yet another kick or punch in a prolonged fight. Two, his back isn't even really broken -- a disc is herniated, causing him great pain, but he isn't crippled, his spinal cord isn't damaged. Three, he recovers inside of five months without any special medical assistance. An amateur masseuse knocks his vertebra back in and he does jail cell gymnastics from there to fix himself up. Oh come on. :\ If you're gonna go ahead and bring back all the Begins Ra's al Ghul stuff anyway, you might as well introduce the Lazarus Pit and have Bruce dunk (or be dunked) into it, magically healing his broken back and degenerated joints.

Would Bruce Wayne really vandalize his mother's pearl necklace to have a tracker outfitted into it?

He gave her the pearl necklace at the end. :>

Overall, I enjoyed the film almost exactly as much as I enjoyed Batman Begins. It's a good movie, and it's a great superhero movie, but it isn't on the same level of excellence as The Dark Knight.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #947
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I tried my best to avoid spoilers for this film
...I wondered if I should put The Dark Knight Rises discussion in spoiler tags in the BTAS thread. Thought you had seen it by now, sorry. OTL
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #948
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

...I wondered if I should put The Dark Knight Rises discussion in spoiler tags in the BTAS thread. Thought you had seen it by now, sorry. OTL
I quit reading anyone's post once it's clear they're about to spoil me. In your post's case, all I got to before I backed out of the page was the fact that ____________ is in the movie. Looking back at your post now, whoa, you went and totally spoiled the ending. Not cool! ^^; Good thing I avoided it!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #949
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Iron Man: So I got to see it finally. It was good. I wouldn't say "great" though -- just consistently good, always hovering between a 6 and a 7 (out of 10, where 5 is neutral).

I enjoyed Mr. RDJ's performance. I can see why people always say, "He is Iron Man." Except I have to ask, having never read the comics: is he? I don't remember Iron Man in the old Spider-Man cartoon (during the crap with Madam Web) feeling like this. He felt much more like a stoic astronaut, as opposed to RDJ's less apologetic, more Republican Bruce Wayne. If Bruce is like a Bill Gates, RDJ's Tony Stark is like a male Kim Kardashian with engineering brains. Is that how he is in the comics?

More thoughts:

I thought it was another solid origin story film out of Marvel. First (for me) Captain America, now this. I think I can better appreciate why people so loved The Avengers: these great origin story films took you there and delivered you a joint appearance by all the protagonists. I still would say Avengers was overhyped and eh, but I can at least see why you all liked it so much.

If Tony Stark is Marvel's Bruce Wayne, then Pepper Potts is their Alfred Pennyworth. Not gonna lie: I love the gender swap and the door it opens for a romance between the eccentric billionaire and the keeper of his estate. Tony x Pepper is cute, and I look forward to seeing more of it in the later films.

Marvel once again modernizes their canon for a modern audience. Afghan jihadists, eh? It was a little too "'MURICA!" for my tastes, but I enjoyed it all the same.

So Howard Stark is dead already. I really wish we could've had a Howard-Tony conversation with them both as adults, but alas.

"Obadiah Stain." The moment they said his last name, it gave away that he was to be the villain. Stupid comics.

Man did Obadiah's mech suit suck. ^^; So unimaginitive. So impotent even in the areas he did want it to perform well. FFS: he left cords out in plain reach, allowing Tony to tear them and restrict Obadiah's vision.

I thought the film had a really weird, really questionable edit / scene transition. It's the part where we go from:
  1. Pepper Potts is leaving Stark Industries' offices, Obadiah's called security to deal with her, Pepper is talking to Agent Coulson
  2. Obadiah bursts into the energy arc room, gets angry at the scientists for not being able to do what Tony Stark can do
  3. Tony is at his mansion, Pepper calls Tony to warn him, Obadiah has snuck in, and Obadiah removes Tony's power core from his chest
I was so surprised I rewound the DVD just to make sure the disc hadn't skipped a track. So weird. I have so many questions because of this bad editing decision:
  1. How does Obadiah physically arrive at Tony's faster than Pepper's telephone call?
  2. How could Obadiah possibly enter Stark's home unannounced without Stark noticing?
  3. How could Obadiah have the perfect tool in the perfect size to remove Tony's energy core when he's only seen Tony two or three times in person since Tony's return from Afghanistan and Tony hasn't allowed Jarvis to publish any details of his research (including the new energy core) on any servers but Stark's private own?
I don't know what the editor was thinking but that scene is just such a weird jump, from the scientists to Stark Mansion. So weird.

I never knew before this movie(?) that Tony Stark essentially has an artificial heart. That made a lot of the movie interesting. But like ...

It's not an artificial heart. We're told by the one scientist early on that he installed a battery-powered electromagnet to prevent shrapnel from entering Tony's heart. Sooooooooooo ... why doesn't Tony simply have that shrapnel surgically removed now that he's back to civilization with his billions of dollars? ^^;

The Marvel trend of neat heroes but boring/stupid/both villains continues. Obadiah was lame.

"The truth is ... I am Iron Man." Wow! So that happened!
Old 08-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #950
Mercutio
Banned

Post films he is because they made the comics like RDJ. But before that there were similarities.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment