UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #76
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I get that every few months when I see family.

I always chalk it up as a win despite my parents laughing whenever it happens.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #77
Mercutio
Banned

Lol.

It's not necessarily a good thing for me, though. I'm eating much less in quantity than I was in the summer and, although I've been out a lot this last week, I've not really been drinking. But then the quality of my food, particularly the amount of fruit and veg I'm getting, has bottomed out. Combine that with greater usage of the gym and I'm mostly just losing body fat, not gaining any muscle or actual fitness in return.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #78
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So going back to uni in a week, my summer health drive has resulted in me losing a stone from 11 to 10, and bodyfat dropping from ~20-22% to ~14-15% (roughly; getting accurate bodyfat percentages would've been a pain in the arse). The latter pleases me, as it was never that I weighed too much so much as that the weight was disproportionately fat. Feel healthier, have less of a gut. Generally pleased although I have lost some of what muscle I had in the process (about a quarter of the total weight lost judging by the numbers).

Now the focus has switched from losing fat to adding muscle because I have like none. I dislike the gym and live in the middle of nowhere and can't drive besides so have been working out at home (push ups, squats, etc). From next week I'll have regular access to a climbing wall again which'll be nice. Essentially over the last academic year I gained both muscle and fat (about a stone and half total), because I was regularly climbing but eating shit (frequent KFC etc) and towards the end exams crowded out the climbing part. Hopefully this year I can keep the climbing part but fix the near exclusively eating greasy crap part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Lol.

It's not necessarily a good thing for me, though. I'm eating much less in quantity than I was in the summer and, although I've been out a lot this last week, I've not really been drinking. But then the quality of my food, particularly the amount of fruit and veg I'm getting, has bottomed out. Combine that with greater usage of the gym and I'm mostly just losing body fat, not gaining any muscle or actual fitness in return.
Not necessarily a bad thing either though.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #79
Mercutio
Banned

I'm going to make it a good thing. Just did an hour and a bit's breaststroke* and went home via the market and bought a ridiculous amount of fruit. I will be sexy, damn it!

*tee hee
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #80
Mercutio
Banned

So I've decided to get serious about this and shift my goals a bit. While I'm still aiming to lose excess fat, I'm now going to try and achieve that as much by cutting out alcohol and, sob, sugar and generally eating better. Aside from a small amount of juice and milk in the mornings (I'll take vitamins over no sugar), I'm going to try to stick to water. Now, though, I'm going to try to work harder to build muscles in the gym as opposed to generically exercising. I'll concentrate on my upper body as I pretty much never wear shorts and they'll get half decent exercise on an exercise bike and cross trainer. This is as much about looking attractive as it is about fitness because I am just awful at hitting on people.

I have a free personal training session on Saturday but I could use tips on healthy eating, particularly at breakfast, and on exercises that will strengthen and enlarge my shoulder and forearm muscles.

Anyone got sage counsel?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #81
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Quote:
So I've decided to get serious about this and shift my goals a bit. While I'm still aiming to lose excess fat, I'm now going to try and achieve that as much by cutting out alcohol and, sob, sugar and generally eating better. Aside from a small amount of juice and milk in the mornings (I'll take vitamins over no sugar), I'm going to try to stick to water. Now, though, I'm going to try to work harder to build muscles in the gym as opposed to generically exercising. I'll concentrate on my upper body as I pretty much never wear shorts and they'll get half decent exercise on an exercise bike and cross trainer. This is as much about looking attractive as it is about fitness because I am just awful at hitting on people.

I have a free personal training session on Saturday but I could use tips on healthy eating, particularly at breakfast, and on exercises that will strengthen and enlarge my shoulder and forearm muscles.

Anyone got sage counsel?
Way to go man! But just upper body? Remember, people like you will be better at attracting girls initially, but us cyclists are better when that girl wants to take it a bit farther(if you know what I mean.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #82
Mercutio
Banned

You mean at piggy backing?!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #83
swampert28

Quote:
You mean at piggy backing?!
yes...that is exactly what I meant.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #84
Mercutio
Banned

Haha. To be honest I don't pull enough to need to worry about the follow up right now. I am truly awful at it and physical appearance os part of that. Plus I get no complaints so I'm not too worried.

But I shall swim early this evening ready to head out later. For science!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #85
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Pls squat

You don't want to end up like these guys, do you? Notice how the woman in front has legs as big as theirs.

As far as which exercises to do ... I highly recommend learning how to do the "Big 4" barbell exercises: Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. A squat rack or power cage is required. If you're afraid of doing bench press because of not having a spotter, just use dumbbells instead. You can also use dumbbells for overhead press. Look up videos on YouTube about how to do them properly. These 4 exercises are very important because they work multiple muscle groups and have large scaling, which means you can consistently move the weight up each workout for a very long time. As long as you're eating enough protein you shouldn't stop making progress on squat and deadlift like, ever.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #86
Mercutio
Banned

I bench press, only just started so I'm on the low low weight of 30kg lol. I also use the bar bell for vertical row, but I had my gym instructor set me up with a decent enough routine. I'm not looking to be as defined as that guy (I'll never control my diet enough for that to happen) so I'm not too worried. I probably don't do enough leg exercise (some squats, leg press and then cycling) but I do do a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #87
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #88
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Yeah, I read the first paragraph and thought "this guy's criticizing a fat person for exercising...isn't that a bit weird?" Glad it wasn't weird in the end!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #89
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I've joined the local American Football (Gridiron) club down here and have been having a blast. I'm a bit more out of shape than I had previously thought, but every workout gets easier and the joys of competition help keep me going when things get tough. Also you get to hit people, which is always fun.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #90
swampert28

Just recently joined a spin class club. It goes twice a week, and I'm hoping to maintain, or even improve my muscles for next years cycling(hoping to race). I encourage people who want to start working out and exercise, to start now as it is getting that time of year where you can build up a lot of fat, especially near Christmas time.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #91
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Weirdly enough, Christmas break through July is my best weight loss period.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #92
Mercutio
Banned

I've sort of gotten out of the gym habit, but I've been swimming a lot which keeps me from gaining fat for now. Also I recently discovered I can do pull ups, which is terrifying.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #93
swampert28

Quote:
I've sort of gotten out of the gym habit, but I've been swimming a lot which keeps me from gaining fat for now. Also I recently discovered I can do pull ups, which is terrifying.
I actually hate Pull-ups, then again my upper body is kind of neglected as a cyclist only really needs some legs. But my core is exercised, but usually not on purpose.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #94
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Wow we're all so lazy.

So apparently my Octopush is improving in that I'm finally getting positioning nailed down and timing my dives well. The thing holding me back is my speed, and given that my role is basically 'get the puck, gun for the goal' that's kind of an issue. On someone in the club's advice I'm considering going back to regular swimming, even though swimming without fins feels like I'm flailing in jelly.

Only real issue with this is that lane swimming at the local pool is primarily a morning affair and I'm usually working the mornings, but I'll try to plan something.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #95
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So I bike to and from work, which is pretty much every day, something like eight and a half kilometers each way, in about twenty to thirty minutes.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #96
Mercutio
Banned

I've been doing floor work in the mornings and the walk back from work turns out to be incredibly simple and about half an hour so I might start running there and back for some free exercise. Or I could get a bike but fuck me London cycling is terrifying.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #97
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Biking in any major European city that doesn't have a history of biking (i.e. anywhere but Amsterdam) is a pretty scary prospect.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #98
Huhadude
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Huhadude
I wanna stay fit so I exercise almost everyday.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #99
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Anybody got any tips for weight lifting? I'm doing weights, but there are so many damn options in the Gym, ranging from free weights to machines which resembles Eldritch abominations more than anything else. Before this, I used to use cardio and floorwork (planks, crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, star-jumps, etc) to maintain my health, but I want to start bulking up my muscles, especially in my pectorals and deltoids.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #100
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Back when I went to the Gym (for all of four months lolol) I had a routine of treadmill > bike > weights > swim. For the weights I can't remember exactly which ones I used, probably that one where you sit on a platform and push off with your legs. If you want to exercise your chest and shoulders then I reckon that one where you have to pull the handles down would work for you.

The weight machines are probably better than just lifting dumbbells to be honest.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc