UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #501
phoopes
Double Dragon

Also how do we all feel about Mila's Turnwheel? It's kind of a mixed bag for me. Part of me feels like that using it is kind of cheesy but at the same time it's nice to be able to rewind a few moves/turns instead of having to reset.

However, I've noticed that there are some times where you can rewind time like five or six times in a row and get the same result every time, even if they're really low odds. It could just be me being INCREDIBLY unlucky, but who knows. Like the one that gets me is I was trying to have a specific unit kill a high level enemy for experience gains, and the enemy had a 38% chance of hitting. I needed him to miss to get the double attack in and kill. I rewound the Turnwheel seven times and he got the hit every time, killing my unit. So I just gave up and killed with another unit instead. Stuff like this happens pretty often for me.

Overall, I think it's definitely made the game more convenient because you can just rewind instead of having to reset when you're right near the end of the battle. Does this translate into being easier? Well it's certainly easier than Fates Conquest, can't say about other Fates routes, but I'd say it's probably similar levels of difficulty to Awakening. I think in the future we'll see Mila's Turnwheel-esque devices. I think it's going to be the eventual replacement for Casual mode, especially since they did away with Phoenix Mode for this release.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #502
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
I think they realised more how fucking horrifying Phoenix mode is.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #503
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
I think they realised more how fucking horrifying Phoenix mode is.
dude you don't have to use it it's not like it broke into your house and is holding a gun to your head

I like Mila's Turnwheel a lot, as someone who tends to mis-click a lot it saves a lot of frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #504
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm early on chapter 3. I'm enjoying this pretty well. I'm just having difficulty evenly spreading out my exp. More often than not, I'm forced to have Faye or Mae do everything, since they're the only ones with the damage output needed to beat a fair percentage of the enemies. I'm hoping to fix that when I have more time for grinding.

EDIT: Didn't see the Turnwheel post. I haven't used it that often. I might use it if a level up is complete dogshit (which is sadly too common in his game), but even if a unit dies, I don't think to use it. I just restart the map out of habit.

I think with Fire Emblem games, the dice are rolled before you make an action. It sounds strange, but I remember trying to play with save state in an emulator, and the same 1% critical would still kill me no matter how many times I restarted. Same with level ups. You get a dogshit level up, get a level up the next turn, and it'll be re-rolled.

Finally, Cleric butt.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-27-2017 at 09:24 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #505
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
dude you don't have to use it it's not like it broke into your house and is holding a gun to your head.
Ok but there was literally no reason for Phoenix Mode to exist. Birthright and Revelation have infinite grinding already, and Conquest was advertised to be the hardest route to begin with. Normal/Casual already exists too. Why even bother playing the game if it takes an auto win mode to get you to play?

I don't mind the inclusion of Casual Mode at all. If anything, it shouldn't have been called Classic Mode/Casual Mode. Rather, I'd prefer it to be "Permanent Death: On/Off" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
EDIT: Didn't see the Turnwheel post. I haven't used it that often. I might use it if a level up is complete dogshit (which is sadly too common in his game), but even if a unit dies, I don't think to use it. I just restart the map out of habit.
Level ups can't be manipulated with the Turnwheel, only from restarting the map, or in my experiences anyway.

Quote:
I think with Fire Emblem games, the dice are rolled before you make an action. It sounds strange, but I remember trying to play with save state in an emulator, and the same 1% critical would still kill me no matter how many times I restarted. Same with level ups. You get a dogshit level up, get a level up the next turn, and it'll be re-rolled.
In GBAFE at least, random numbers are burned when the movement cursor is drawn out. If you save stated while doing the exact same actions (or at the start of the enemy turn), then the result will end up the same. But if you save state before taking actions on your turn, you can manipulate the movement arrow a bit and change the outcome of a level up.

Anyways, I think the Turnwheel is the best QoL thing from SoV, it even has a decent story justification for it as well. It also takes actual thought to use well. The worst thing about it to me, is that it feels like IntSys was too lazy to change maps/terrain and improve hit rates even more, so they just added this to make the game less frustrating.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #506
phoopes
Double Dragon

>lazy on maps/terrain

Actually yeah, I will say compared to Fates Conquest, the objectives of each map aren't really that varied. Feels like every single one is route the enemy. Also haven't come across a single ballista (and to be honest I hated them but they were an important part of strategy and such). On terrain though, I feel like terrain bonuses are more important than ever, like they definitely make a huge difference on whether your unit will get hit or not, more so than ever before.

And I guess some other things I haven't touched on:

Only being able to hold one item was kind of weird to me at first but I ended up liking it. I feel like your unit can't just be a one man wrecking crew anymore (to an extent) and I've gotten really balanced because of it.

Mages sacrificing heath to attack is a really interesting mechanic that ended up adding a lot of depth in my opinion. Is it worth it to sacrifice more health for a stronger attack? All that jazz.

Thank the lord for archers being useful. Leon is actually one of my most powerful units.

Didn't play the original Gaiden so I'm not sure of these are truly new mechanics or "new old" mechanics but I like them a lot.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #507
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post

Ok but there was literally no reason for Phoenix Mode to exist. Birthright and Revelation have infinite grinding already, and Conquest was advertised to be the hardest route to begin with. Normal/Casual already exists too. Why even bother playing the game if it takes an auto win mode to get you to play?

I don't mind the inclusion of Casual Mode at all. If anything, it shouldn't have been called Classic Mode/Casual Mode. Rather, I'd prefer it to be "Permanent Death: On/Off" instead.
I'm not personally incentivised by Phoenix mode, but for players with disabilities, inexperienced players or someone who just wants to be able to switch off, enjoy the animations and the story without feeling a need to grind, that sounds fine to me. More options = more accessibility = more people enjoying the game. Kind of like the Smart Steering in Mario Kart 8 deluxe or the white Tanooki suit, or invincibility mode in Star Fox Zero.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 AM   #508
phoopes
Double Dragon

Spoilers for (I'm assuming) near the end of Act 4:
Spoiler: show
Fight with Jedah. Anyone else have trouble? This dude has the most OP skills, it's ridiculous. I did it first try but honestly it was major cheese, had to rely on him missing a 50%ish and a 60%ish hit so I could one round him. Thank goodness Celica learns Ragnarok, that's what I had take out the vast majority of his HP. Then Boey finished off with Sagittae (I think that's how you spell it)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:03 AM   #509
Sneaze
Mrow?

Defending Phoenix, I'll say that it was basically required when I was playing Fates at work because when you get interrupted literally every 20 seconds you do not have time to be as smart about a game where half the system just changed around from the previous incarnation. I wanted to get through the story and still enjoy the game without falling hilariously behind because the internet exists and spoilers pop up everywhere. Did I use it after the initial runs? No. But it had its merits for being able to enjoy the story.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #510
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Spoilers for (I'm assuming) near the end of Act 4:
Fight with Jedah. Anyone else have trouble? This dude has the most OP skills, it's ridiculous. I did it first try but honestly it was major cheese, had to rely on him missing a 50%ish and a 60%ish hit so I could one round him. Thank goodness Celica learns Ragnarok, that's what I had take out the vast majority of his HP. Then Boey finished off with Sagittae (I think that's how you spell it)
You don't have to kill him, he flees after the sixth turn I think? Only benefit to killing him here is the Dracoshield (and destroying the Mogalls).
I had Celica two-shot him with Ragnarok (one crit), dodging the counter because supports are awesome. Just wish the "hint" was easier to decipher,
plus it's changed from the original game.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #511
phoopes
Double Dragon

[FINAL BOSS] is straight up cheese
Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #512
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I guess it must really stink to have to... cut it down.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #513
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
[FINAL BOSS] is straight up cheese
didn't land a single one of its attacks against me other than

megaquake

lol
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #514
phoopes
Double Dragon

Anyone else been playing Heroes? If so we should exchange friend codes
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #515
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Quote:
Anyone else been playing Heroes? If so we should exchange friend codes
Heroes has been my mobile game of choice since I don't have much chances to play Pokemon Go. I've been playing it for quite a while and I've currently got 24 lv 40 gold heroes, yet I've never spent a cent.

Friend code: 3754889690
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #516
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

So how do people feel about the cast of Warriors being stated as being made up of mostly Awakening and Fates characters? I'm fine with it personally since I think it's a better way of diversifying the cast weapon-wise (otherwise the obvious choices are just all the lords and all the swords as a result) and I quite like most of the casts are both games. Plus there's DLC to involve characters from other games, and if Hyrule Warriors is any indication, we'll be getting that up the BUTT, but I get that people are being salty about it.

I believe we just got confirmation of
Cordelia and Female Robin, the latter of which is weird since we already have Male Robin? Hopefully they'll have very different styles, but I feel like another character could've easily slot in for one of the Robins. Oh well. I'm happy enough to see Cordy making her debut since Pegasi are always fun.

I'm predicting Gaius and Tharja for definite, possibly Donnel, and maybe Odin/Selena/Laslow?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #517
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
I mean Fates/Awakening are cool but Jesus there are other games.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #518
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Fates/Awakening/SD are the focus games because outside of the hardcore FE fanbase, they're the ones people are likely to know. Yes they're shit, but equally they need to target the games people know because people want familiar names and faces, not a bunch of 'lol who the fuck is this scrub'.

Cordy's a bad move imo, because it means no win spear Caeda.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #519
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
I mean Fates/Awakening are cool but Jesus there are other games.
Yeah, personally I'm surprised there's nothing from Shadows of Valentia, but it must've just been too late in development to change it? Like I said though, DLC will probably address this.

IT it might be wise to hide the second part of your comment for people trying to avoid spoilers.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #520
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
From what I've seen the game is literally just "Awakening charries plus a few Fates plus a few Shadow Dragon" which is...not interesting to me.

For the love of God please don't put Donnel into the game and put someone actually cool there.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #521
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I really want to see Jagen in there somehow. And how dare you Donny is great. Look at his supports. Such a good boy.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #522
Brave Saix
Boulder Badge

If anything I hope they put in an old school mage character from FE 7-10. Soren or Calill would be my choice. Add a couple of Beast-form units like Panne, Janaff/Ulki, etc. Basically some non-manaketes. Plus add some old villains like Ashnard and the Four Riders.

Maybe have different classes play vastly different. We have Cherche, a Wyvern Rider, included now so why not make use of her ability to fly.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #523
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I can't say I'm too fond of them mostly adding characters from Fates/Awakening either, but I'll still get the game anyway. It's totally not because I'm trying to expand my Switch's library. I like the characters from those games, but I was looking forward to being able to use characters I used to know and love.

I get that part of it is because it's difficult to make different fighting styles, since most characters are so similar, but they could atleast add noteworthy units from previous games.

Karol is a big deal in FE7's time, so he could be the swordmaster. Maybe even add his daugher/grandaughter (I forget which she was) from FE6 for the time travel shenanigans they seem to love.
Not sure about mages. Nino is the first that comes to mind. I think the main girl in Path of Radiance is a mage, so she's an option.
For pegasus knights, I guess Marth's waifu? I forget her name.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #524
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Donnel is trash. Mozu is the superior villager. Also Kotaku likes Donnel so I'm obliged to hate him.

Do we have a list of confirmed characters? I'm dumb and keep forgetting who is in.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #525
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
Heroes has been my mobile game of choice since I don't have much chances to play Pokemon Go. I've been playing it for quite a while and I've currently got 24 lv 40 gold heroes, yet I've never spent a cent.

Friend code: 3754889690
that's nuts dude

I started playing like a week and a half ago, I have four gold units at level 40 and a fifth on the way. Training them is a real grind, especially if you want to inherit skills and make them absolute death machines (which is what I want of course).

Mine is 9436257030

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games