UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Cats lifting heavy fish

BORKED

YouTube

This is an old favorite of mine. A Japanese television show decided to answer the question, "How heavy of a fish can a stray cat lift off the ground and take with him/her?" Going to the local fish market, they procured dozens of fish of various kinds, weighed them on a scale, and set them out for the wild cats in order from least heavy to most heavy. If a cat fails to lift the fish and take it with them, they're eliminated. If a cat successfully lifts the fish and walks off with it, he/she advances to the next round.

This is one of those videos where being able to understand what is being said helps the humor but is by no means strictly necessary. I think you'll be able to appreciate just fine what is going on and why it's so adorable and/or funny at various stages. Some key words that they use often enough that I'll provide them here for you as a sort of key:
  • neko "cat"
  • dora neko "stray cat"
  • sakana "fish"
  • shiro to cha "white and brown" (referring to the white and brown cat's colors)
  • shironeko "white cat"
  • buki "weapon" (e.g. Ano buki! "That weapon!")
  • kantan ni "easily"
  • bosu "Boss"
  • Demashita! "And there he is!", "Heeeeee's heeeeeeeeeeere!", etc.
  • kuwaeru and conjugations "to hold in one's mouth"
  • omosa "weight"
  • dorobou neko "thieving cat"
  • 検証 #日目 "Verification Day No.#" (this is what shows up with that black cat licking its lip every once in a while, indicating that we've advanced to the next day)
As for the prices of the fish, as a general rule of thumb you take the value in yen and divide it by 100 to get the value in US dollars. The current exchange rate is actually 100 yen being worth 87˘, so a fish that costs 1000 yen would cost about $8.70, but the divide-by-100 rule is a good mental approximation as far as powers of 10 are concerned. For our friends in the UK, the current exchange rate is 100 yen being worth 55p, so a 1000-yen fish would be Ł5.50 and so you can divide by approximately 20 if you want a quick mental estimate.

I really wish I could find a hi-res version of this video, but unfortunately:
  1. YouTube has the video taken down pretty frequently :\
  2. whenever anyone uploads it, it's almost always their personal copy of the lo-res version we all obtained years ago
Apologies for this uploader's stupid watermark on the bottom right, but tbh we're lucky that I could even find this video at all. It took a lot of different YouTube searches to find it and as you can see from his upload date it's really only a matter of time before his video gets flagged and taken down. Alas.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment