UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Heather
Naga's Voice

Hydreigon The Gathering Hall-Monster Hunter Thread!

A quick search brought up a complete lack of a dedicated Monster Hunter thread, and so I decided to rectify that.

Anyhow, here's the place for Monster Hunter players to discuss stories, coordinate hunts, and what have you.

Also feel free to discuss anything you want to say about upcoming Monster Hunter X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I have both Tri Ultimate and 4 Ultimate for 3DS as well as Freedom Unite on the PSP, but I now rarely have time for it. I hit G-rank in like March or April, but I have yet to complete a single G-rank hunt and am only now finishing all the High Rank hunts/armors/weapons.

In MHFU, I did a lot of Hammer, Long Sword, Bow and Heavy Bowgun. In 3U I did mostly Lance (since it's pretty OP in Tri), Bow, Light Bow Gun, Hammer, and occasionally other weapons. I almost got every weapon in that game, but fairly rarely used most of them xd. In 4U I've been mostly using Charge Blade, Lance, and occasionally Hammer. Haven't learned the new Bow functions and found a lot of the abilities from 3U have been nerfed. I have been messing around with the Seregios LBG, but don't really have proper armor for it.

Last few times I've been playing, I've been trying to build the Kushala weapons, but I have yet to find a Rusted Lance to turn into the Icesteel Lance. Still need to fight Fatalis too.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm at HR3 right now, but I'm focusing on campaign at the moment. I just flew into Cathar in 4U. As for weapons, I bunny around between Hammer, Charge Blade, and Dual Blades. I mostly only use hammer now when the monster's armor has negative Dragon resistance because I have the basic Gore Magala Hammer. I have the basic Dah'ren Mohran Charge Blade, which packs a punch, and as for Dual Blades, I have once upgraded Lagombi blades, basic Zamtrios blades, basic Rath blades, and am working on Zinogre blades (just got around to crafting Twin Chainsaws tonight), and I also want to get Gore blades since Hammer'sstyle is starting to be a problem (Monsters that the hammer can really only hit the feet of yet their feet are nigh-invincible like the Gravios do not help either).

Quote:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #4
Loki

Gravios is probably the least fun monster in the series for melee hunters due to most of its attacks being farts that protect its weak spot (its belly) and now the short fly up into belly flop and roll. Mounting abuse is kind of necessary. The good thing is that most of the good hammer attacks (read: charged attacks) don't bounce off and the Charge 2 Upswing generally hits the pretty easily.

Ranged hunters have a decent advantage against Gravios, but its new laser attack does still make it difficult at times (very easy to get OHKO'd with the lower armor and usually terrible Fire resist).

I only use Charged Blades with Impact Phials because the Elemental Phials are pretty useless compared to KOing a monster. The overall list of Charged Blades before G-Rank is pretty sad too. It's even sadder when you take into account usable CBs.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

Would just like to say that Basarios is basically amateur Gravios and I fought it with a Glaive and could only hurt its feet. Then I fight Gravios with a hammer and can hurt everything but it's feet. Also I finished off the solo mode one with a hit to the end of its tail that barely even touched it lol

Quote:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Loki

Impact weapons do more damage than Cutting weapons against the Grav family, which dictates bounce. Insect Glaive's strategy should be purely to mount, then attack the belly or back, then mount again. Seriously, they're all super weak to mounting. Otherwise just use Barrel Bombs after each mount if you feel like you're bouncing a lot.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Hammer 4 lyfe

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Impact weapons do more damage than Cutting weapons against the Grav family, which dictates bounce. Insect Glaive's strategy should be purely to mount, then attack the belly or back, then mount again. Seriously, they're all super weak to mounting. Otherwise just use Barrel Bombs after each mount if you feel like you're bouncing a lot.
Oh yes I know, I mounted the Basarios like 10 times when I hunted it. It was fun actually, since my mount shout out is "IMMA RIDE THIS PONY" and that's what I think to myself every time I mount something.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Anyone here able to help me with the early game of MH4U? Really love inI.G but having some difficulties. Would love to hunt with other UPNers as well.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Heather
Naga's Voice

Besides the obvious "eat a meal before every hunt and always pay in points if you can," my advice is to try out the different weapons and see which you like best (weapons training quests are perfect for this), then stick with it for the early game. You should always be proficient with a weapon before using a new one regularly. Also, make frequent trips to the Smithy-the armory's best armor is horribly insufficient for basically anything past a Seltas and you want to replace it ASAP. Focus on getting full sets of armors, as a full set of a monster's armor will often yield a special skill. For example, a full set of Nerscylla armor gives you a skill that, when a monster can be successfully tranquilized in a trap and captured, it's paintball marker will begin to flash. Also, in addition to carrying lots of Potions, carry some of their ingredients so that you can make more (and circumvent the limit of 10 Potions in your pouch). I'll let some more experienced folk talk now because I'm only HR4 and I'm sure Loki is far above me.

If you want to hunt with me, just name a monster you need a load of parts from and I'll help you out with it. Especially if it's weak to lightning or ice.

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 08-05-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
It was fun actually, since my mount shout out is "IMMA RIDE THIS PONY" and that's what I think to myself every time I mount something.
It will be doubly fun when you mount the actual in game pony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
Anyone here able to help me with the early game of MH4U? Really love inI.G but having some difficulties. Would love to hunt with other UPNers as well.
IG is a fun weapon.

A couple of things with it:
1. You should get comfortable with using vaulting attacks to mount the monsters. IG is the only weapon able to mount without ledges, which makes it easy to mount. Getting a feel for when to safely mount, and how to mount successfully, goes a long way. Stamina is especially important for staying mounted, so try to keep that maxed, or at least close, when mounting.

2. IGs also have a unique upgrade method that requires you to feed the Kinsect various nectar in addition to normal upgrades. For early game, it's generally just easier to max Speed and not worry about anything else. Speed+ can be gotten from the Wycoon for points occasionally, so you can stock up when it shows up once you get to that point.

3. Using the Kinsect to get buffs from monsters is widely regarded as the most effective way to use the IG. Getting all three types at once gives you a huge buff, so it's suggested that you try to keep those up as much as possible. It takes some practice to get them quickly and safely, and knowledge of what parts of the monster give what buffs helps a lot.

4. Kinsects can be cutting or blunt depending on the IG, but they both have the same paths, just different names and designs. Here's a flowchart of upgrades. Ladytower/Bilbobrix is the path that is considered the best, but feel free to go for what you like. Some of the others are really good at breaking/cutting parts, for instance. I wouldn't worry about the path or how to feed your Kinsect beyond Maxing Speed until you start looking at endgame IGs.

I'm nearly G Rank, so it'd probably be better to play with someone closer in rank, but I can always toss on old armor and weapons to help out.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #12
Heather
Naga's Voice

Actually, lances can do mounting attacks without ledges as well in 4U. My friend has a new file he mains lance on.

I personally main Dual Blades. No fun free mounting anywhere, but I always look for mounting opportunities, and when I do and manage to topple, that's the perfect time to hit R to activate Demon Mode, and spam the X+A Blade Dance on a part that can be severed/damaged. The monster is usually down long enough that by doing so, you can easily fill the Demon Meter and get Archdemon Mode going. However, Dual Blades eat up Whetstones like mad if you're keeping max sharpness as much as possible, so be aware of that. Also, a note on Expeditions-the Yian Kut-Ku is nigh impossible to solo until you've got armor/weapons better than what you can find at the armory, and when you do go at it, it is a fire breather, so get a good fire resisting meal.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Actually, lances can do mounting attacks without ledges as well in 4U. My friend has a new file he mains lance on.
Ah, that's right. I forgot you can jump during a charge.

I main IG, but I used Lance if Tri and 3U, so I plan to use it some once I've got a nice set of armor for it. The one I've got doesn't have Evade or Guard (since I optimized it for IG), so it's not really useful for trying to use Lance.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Heather
Naga's Voice

My current Gore Armor has the Bio Researcher skill, which makes it great to hunt Brachydios with-since it makes you immune to Blastblight.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
My current Gore Armor has the Bio Researcher skill, which makes it great to hunt Brachydios with-since it makes you immune to Blastblight.
Mine is mixed because the good full sets are G rank. Skills are Critical Eye +2, HG Earplugs, and Razor Sharp. It's a mix of Garuga S and Rath Soul (which is Azure Rath).
Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
Loki

Insect Glaive has a lot of nuances I've yet to master. As nice as ledge-less mounting is, "juicing" is probably the most important thing to learn. I think GaijinHunter covers it well.

BORKED
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
Sneaze
Mrow?

I love glaives so much. I've been rocking them for a while now and juicing is definitely a required skill. It can save you on so much time and energy if you do it right, especially if you have hunting partners capable of keeping the monster still long enough for you to juice properly.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Heather
Naga's Voice

So the latest thing I need to smack several of for purposes of new equipment us my old nemesis, the Yian Kut-Ku. Mostly my nemesis due to early game woes, the chicken dragon as I call it has dual blades that are the base for Brachydios blades to go with my new armor (also made from Dios-but damn getting Firestones was a PAIN). Problem is for the most part it's an expedition monster and lately they haven't been showing (too many other candidates).

Quote:
Old 08-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
So the latest thing I need to smack several of for purposes of new equipment us my old nemesis, the Yian Kut-Ku. Mostly my nemesis due to early game woes, the chicken dragon as I call it has dual blades that are the base for Brachydios blades to go with my new armor (also made from Dios-but damn getting Firestones was a PAIN). Problem is for the most part it's an expedition monster and lately they haven't been showing (too many other candidates).
You can cycle through expeditions easily by completing a quest or subquest that's delivering items you can bring with you (Steak Your Ground/A Winning Combination/most fishing quests/etc), since you can literally take the quest, drop off the item(s), and complete the quest. Then it's just a matter of repeating until what you want shows up (and you can also not save and reset after a few quests if what you want doesn't show up so you don't waste too many items).

Alternatively, I've got a low level Yian Kut-Ku Guild Quest I can give you if you are able to get online. Someone wanted it for the armor bias earlier, so it's even still in my registered quests.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Heather
Naga's Voice

I can hop on now, just have to save my white file so I don't lose my Shiny <3

Quote:
Old 08-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
I can hop on now, just have to save my white file so I don't lose my Shiny <3
ID: 34-3770-3108-4470
Password: 4321
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #22
Heather
Naga's Voice

So, in the story, I've reached the
Spoiler: show
Shagaru Magala.

Currently I have full Zinogre armor, have Dual blades of Brachydios, Zinogre, and upped Lagombi blades (Snow Sisters). Since it's Dragon, if I feel like polishing my Hammer game, I could use my Gore hammer, but I'd prefer to make the dual blades. But that's not the point. My question is-what armor did you guys use going to fight this beastie? I need something dragon resisting, but Scylla armor is a bit lacking this far along. Have you any ideas as to what I should fight? Don't feel bad about saying Tigrex, I've put down a Frenzied one already.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #23
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
So, in the story, I've reached the
Spoiler: show
Shagaru Magala.

Currently I have full Zinogre armor, have Dual blades of Brachydios, Zinogre, and upped Lagombi blades (Snow Sisters). Since it's Dragon, if I feel like polishing my Hammer game, I could use my Gore hammer, but I'd prefer to make the dual blades. But that's not the point. My question is-what armor did you guys use going to fight this beastie? I need something dragon resisting, but Scylla armor is a bit lacking this far along. Have you any ideas as to what I should fight? Don't feel bad about saying Tigrex, I've put down a Frenzied one already.
Fun fact: No Magala actually uses the Dragon element, even though the weapons do. I have no idea why. So there's no real point in getting dragon resist.

I'm pretty sure I was using full Tetsu armor at that point, with the Gore IG. It'd give you a nice defense boost and more base HP, and doesn't need rare drops to make. Not sure it would be necessary.

I don't remember the fight being hard, and I beat it on the first try. I would suggest a Farcaster, Nullberries, and a healing Palico though, since the place you fight is one area, so you can't leave to heal/sharpen safely without a Farcaster.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM   #24
Heather
Naga's Voice

Oh yes ever since I got stuck on the Gore I've had my support forte sub with me on all caravan quests. And I'll see what can be done for advanced tetsu armor-more HP is more better.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #25
Heather
Naga's Voice

Monster Hunter X confirmed for US judging by the slew of texts I'm getting-apparently MH4U players with save data get bonus content too!

GET HYPE.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games